Watching You Grow, Following the Manga & Brotherhood, EdxWin
Rating 5 V
Chiyo
post Apr 27 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

Well since many will have run away after seeing Ed/Win, hey to the few of you left laugh.gif

Here starts a series of fics concentrating mainly on Winry. The idea behind this was there are many times we don't know whats going on in her head so I have filled those gaps. And I wish to say before I get bashers, she had admitted she loves Edward more then a brother, that I am not making up.

Anywho, because its me there will be much Ed/Win. I start on manga no. 45, which is where the title came from. I will then follow on from there...if enough people are interested. As the manga may go on for some time I will probably make my own conclusion at some point.

So please enjoy, now I'll leave you to read.

Edit As of today (1st September 2009) I shall be updated and editing these previous chapters. Since we have got to this point in the anime, spoilers for the series are abound. Here we start at Episode 20. This chapter now edited.

She stood in the doorway staring blankly ahead for what seemed like hours. Perhaps she should never have got out of bed in the first place but it was too late now she was here. It was a miracle no one else was walking the corridors or they may have seen her. She had opened the door so carefully and made sure she let in as little light as possible and closed it quietly so he would not wake up.

As he turned over in his sleep she pushed herself further into the wood, as if would make any difference if he woke up. Once he had settled back down her body relaxed but she still felt frozen to the spot. For the life of her she could not recall what had urged her to get out of bed and make her way here. Now she was glued to the spot looking at him sleep like some stalker might.

Then her memory caught up with her and she knew why she was there. That night she had realised, or more had been reminded, that her childhood friend was in fact growing up. She had no idea what the future held for any of them but Ed was ever more independent. To her this meant many things but it was the one thought that scared her most.

Still as silently as she could she crossed the room and sat herself down in the armchair opposite the bed. She couldn’t see his face anymore but his presence was still very real. Wrapping her arms around herself she decided the safest thing to do now was just to remain seated there. She knew she wanted to at least be close to him but with nothing to say she was content with the silence.

Once his task of retrieving his brother’s body had been completed he would probably not need too much human contact. He would easily break away from the Rockbell household and so easily break away from her. She wasn’t quite sure how she would take such news if it occurred, but she knew fear played a great part of it. Even though he had been travelling for some time she still fully believed he would come home and a sense of normality could fall upon them. But then it couldn’t be normal, for he would be an adult in search of his own life. They had always joked the three of them would be together forever but that was the naivety of youth.

It may eventually have ended up that if she wanted to stay near to them she would have to keep following them. A travelling auto-mail mechanic didn’t seem to bad an idea, until she remembered most customers needed after-care. She couldn’t just give someone a new arm and let him or her get on with it. Though had left people behind in Rush Valley there were other people there to care for them. The people back in Rizembol had Granny so for the time being it was okay to be away from home.

Her heart had been through a lot of late and she knew it would only get worse. Ed and Al seemed to get into more dangerous situations with each passing week. The fact that Ed had asked her to stay to fix his auto-mail meant he was planning on getting himself into trouble again. She would be glad when he got his own limbs back so she didn’t have to keep fixing him.

She giggled quietly to herself knowing full well she was never angry with him for breaking his automail. Even if it was her hard work destroyed in an instant, it was the symbol of what she could do for him. So that when he got his real limbs back…she wouldn’t be needed. Yes, this was probably what she feared most. She had become dependant on people being dependant on her.

His eyes flickered open as he heard a feint laugh across the room. Slowly he inclined his head to see where the noise came. This he did with great care to remain undetected. The bed covers obscured his vision and all he could make out was a pair of long pale legs tucked up on the chair; a pair of long white female legs. Closing his eyes he shifted his legs as if he was moving in his sleep to get a better look.

‘Oh Edward,’ Winry cursed under her breath as his sudden movement made her jump. Worried this was an indication he was about to wake up she got to her feet to exit. She padded silently across the room and her hand reached for the door handle.

‘What are you doing?’

She let out a squeal of surprise and her hand snapped away from the door. She whipped round to see Edward sat on the edge of his bed, arms folded and with a scowl on his face. How he managed to move that damn quickly without her hearing was beyond her. However, there were more pressing matters. Just how was she going to explain her way out of this one?

‘Well…clearly…’

‘It’s been a while since you snuck into my room after having a nightmare,’ he butted in, ‘you could have given me some warning you were there.’

Bingo, ‘Oh…well… it’s late isn’t it! You would have yelled at me and called me a child.’

He huffed, ‘You’re not really the same as you were when you used to sneak in to my room.’

‘What do you mean by that?’

She kept her eyes focused on him and it seemed he kept his eyes trained on hers. In the briefest of moments, she saw his eyes flick down across her body. Her face flushed red and she recalled she had taken off her pyjama bottoms and only had her slightly oversized shirt covering her.

‘You perv...’ she started.

‘There is no way you would have politely waited by the door before. You used to just jump straight in and press your cold nose against my back.’

Her face creased up, ‘it wasn’t cold.’

‘Come over here,’ he sighed and patted the bed next to him. Determined to not let herself embarrassed she shrugged her shoulders and casually strode over, seating herself beside him. With all the grace of a baby elephant she began to lie down, only for her plan to backfire on her as the moment she leant backward she saw his back again. She sat bolt upright and looked away to hide her blushing face.

‘It won’t work if you face away from me,’ he said, so close to her ear she tensed up. All the same, she straightened her face and turned to look at him.

‘I said face not look,’ he sighed again and suddenly grabbed her right ankle with his left hand. With a small tug he swivelled her round until her whole body faced him. The sudden movement mixed with his hand on her leg caused her to glow red. He took hold of her hands and leant close to her. When he instructed her to close her eyes she did so with great caution. Whatever he was up to he was going all out to unnerve her.

‘What are you afraid of Winry?’

Had she been mumbling to herself while she was sat in the chair? Had he magically read her every thought since she had entered the room? Aware he could still see her face she bit her lip to stop herself gawping like a fish.

‘C’mon. We can’t do this if you don’t tell me.’

‘What? Do what?’

‘What was your nightmare about? What has scared you?’

With those words suddenly everything fit into place and inwardly she laughed hysterically. When she was little and she snuck into his room after having a nightmare they performed this ritual. After she had subtly woken him up anyway. They would face each other and take hold of each other’s hands. Then, with her eyes closed, she would picture the nightmare she had and describe it to him. The combination of knowing someone was physically there and describing the dream would make her see she was safe enough to go back to bed. When Edward really didn’t want to know, Al was always happy to step in.

She opened her eyes and took her hands away, ‘I’m too old for that now Edward.’

‘Then why were you in here?’

‘Because…well perhaps seeing you made me feel better but I didn’t want to wake you!’ she snapped. She stood up to make her hasty exit but he grabbed hold of her wrist.

‘Fine. You are staying here with us for a while though?’

She cast her eyes over his form. Although she loved automail she also knew she would love to see him with his real limbs back. Even if that meant she might not see him as much, she couldn’t deny him his limbs and his brother back. Apart from a metal arm and leg, every other part of him was perfect.

Snatching her hand away she grumbled something about not having much of a choice. Trying to not be too loud she made a dash for her own room and slammed the door behind her. Her heart was beating heavily in her chest, which made her short of breath. She had been ready to accuse him of being a pervert and she very nearly become one herself. She did not know why it had happened, but she didn’t wish it to occur again.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Chiyo   Watching You Grow   Apr 27 2006, 11:53 AM
- - Le Monkey   lol.. Its just like him to be so niaeve.. XD more...   Apr 27 2006, 04:57 PM
- - Nil-chan   Wow! This is extremely good!! The char...   Apr 28 2006, 04:45 PM
- - Animeoldtimer   I read this on ff.net. I really liked it and look...   Apr 28 2006, 07:26 PM
- - Summerlover01   Wow this was really good! I really enjoyed i...   Apr 29 2006, 09:22 AM
- - Chiyo   Holy hell, I updated a fic! I'm in shock m...   Jul 16 2006, 10:28 AM
- - Animeoldtimer   Wow! Please continue!   Jul 18 2006, 12:44 PM
- - Summerlover01   O my gosh! You actually updated your story...   Jul 18 2006, 04:42 PM
- - Chiyo   Blah, blah blah, oh and yes I have updated again. ...   Sep 24 2006, 11:50 AM
- - MonsterEnvy   I really like how you use the manga to further the...   Sep 24 2006, 12:05 PM
- - IttyBittyPretty   Ed is naive (or maybe just really, really distract...   Sep 24 2006, 06:19 PM
- - Summerlover01   Thanks for updating this fic I really appreciated ...   Sep 25 2006, 04:42 PM
- - Chiyo   An update *le gasp*, and so we are clear these sce...   Nov 14 2006, 03:07 AM
- - Funderful   Yay! Manga Ed/Win. How I enjoy it so. I wish ...   Nov 14 2006, 03:30 PM
- - Viktor_Berg   The only important stuff I want to say to you: THA...   Nov 14 2006, 05:45 PM
- - Le Monkey   Perfect as always Chi, I really do like it, the la...   Nov 15 2006, 06:03 AM
- - Summerlover01   Thanks for updating! I really enjoyed this las...   Nov 15 2006, 07:02 PM
- - Chiyo   Oh my word, an update, and I have to hurry forit l...   Jan 28 2007, 10:44 AM
- - Summerlover01   *gasp* You updated! Thank you so much! I r...   Feb 1 2007, 07:14 PM
- - TSilver Fox   Very nice! but then how could I expect less fr...   Feb 15 2007, 04:19 AM
- - Chiyo   Finally, I have made it up to date with the manga,...   Mar 7 2007, 05:53 AM
- - shorebay   OMG. I just read all of it. This is realy good w...   Mar 8 2007, 09:47 AM
- - Edamame   Lovely work on this fiction Chiyo. It is nice to ...   Mar 9 2007, 12:51 PM
- - Summerlover01   Thanks for the update Chiyo. I'm looking fowar...   Mar 10 2007, 04:56 PM
- - Animeoldtimer   Good work! I really enjoy your take on the Ma...   Mar 18 2007, 08:46 PM
- - archangelkatherin   These are some very nice Winry centered fics. Ther...   Mar 19 2007, 01:01 PM
- - Star Alchemist   This fanfic is great, please continue!   Mar 19 2007, 03:49 PM
- - Chiyo   Ha, you thought I;d gone away hadn't you? I ha...   Apr 17 2007, 05:08 AM
- - Zachelle   QUOTE(Chiyo @ Apr 17 2007, 08:08 PM) 5316...   Apr 17 2007, 06:18 AM
- - shorebay   As always that was wonderful! I realy think y...   Apr 18 2007, 01:18 PM
- - Summerlover01   Very impressive chapter Chiyo. I love how you kept...   Apr 20 2007, 05:50 PM
- - Chiyo   Holy carp, I finally update. Based upon chapter 71...   Jul 2 2007, 06:47 AM
- - Animeoldtimer   Nice to see more of your works, Chiyo! I love ...   Jul 15 2007, 10:04 PM
- - Tombow   @Chiyo - Awesome writing!! It's like ...   Jul 16 2007, 03:32 AM
- - Chibi_Girl29   omg !!You did a really good job !You h...   Aug 20 2007, 03:36 AM
- - Edamame   Chiyo: Lovely job with your latest chapter. You ha...   Aug 21 2007, 09:07 AM
- - chibi_cherry 29   it is really good and i like it i hopeu update it ...   Oct 12 2007, 02:32 PM
- - Winry_Rockbell83   OMG Chi, I just went through and read all your sto...   Oct 31 2007, 10:13 AM
- - Chiyo   An update...haha...I'm writing a novel but sti...   Nov 2 2007, 08:40 AM
- - Winry_Rockbell83   Yay an update! I'm really loving this EdxW...   Nov 3 2007, 08:09 AM
- - Chiyo   Well we've got a dramatic chapter but I want t...   Nov 6 2007, 08:14 AM
- - Animeoldtimer   I hear you! Chiyo. I'm curious if the chi...   Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM
- - AngelHunteress16   gah!!! I can only read up to the one b...   Dec 2 2007, 03:11 PM
- - Chiyo   Cripes, has it really been that long? I suppose I ...   Jun 12 2008, 09:03 AM
- - Tombow   I'm reading!! Update, please!...   Jun 12 2008, 09:31 AM
- - Havanese   QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jun 12 2008, 11:03 AM) Crip...   Jun 19 2008, 11:21 PM
- - Chiyo   Gah! I can't believe it! I'd had f...   Jun 6 2009, 04:40 AM
- - Tombow   @Chiyo - Yay!! Glad to see the update...   Jun 22 2009, 12:51 AM
- - Animeoldtimer   Yeah! I saw this on ff.net first, but I read i...   Jun 22 2009, 09:26 PM
- - Chiyo   Thanks you two, glad it was worth doing it. Well ...   Jul 1 2009, 09:53 AM
- - kkg22104   @Chiyo: Wow, this is a really good fanfic! I n...   Jul 11 2009, 01:34 AM
- - Tombow   @Chiyo - Lovely writing, as usual!! Enjo...   Jul 15 2009, 11:00 AM
- - Chiyo   Thank-you Tombow and kkg22104. I have now begun th...   Sep 1 2009, 11:29 AM
- - Chiyo   No spoilers beyond Chapter 84 and so far this is j...   Feb 8 2010, 02:40 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 07:31 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css