HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winry fans! Thread for all Winry fans to talk about Winry!, Anti-Winry fans, please kindly stay away. :)
Chiyo
post Jul 24 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #31

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

I, of course, am a Winry fan, and especially her character in the manga. Considering she lost both her parents she didn't go off the rails like she could have. If she was sickly sweet, I don't think the Elrics would bother with her so the violence is good.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Colette
post Jul 24 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #32

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Apr 21 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]384549[/snapback]

If it really was Winry there, she'd have figured out a way to tie him up. wink.gif

After reading your Winry Facts, I have to agree.

I'm a Winry fan, like a few here, I like her more in the manga. But I still like her a lot in the anime and movie.

--------------------

+Quote Post
HalfAsian Alchem...
post Jul 24 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 38,190

I was just rereading this thread, and I had the perfect thought after reading what Damascus said about building a device to go to the FMA world. I'd use that, only I'd "steal" Winry and have her all to myself! biggrin.gif Oh and I'd probably stay long enough to figure out the basics off alchemy, just to see if it could be done here...

--------------------
I am the HalfAsian Alchemist, specializing in transmuting half-Asian goods, wait no...

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Otaku Avatar Maker

+Quote Post
shingmei
post Oct 10 2006, 12:37 AM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 29,811

I'm a Winry fan. I like her more in the manga, but I still like her in the anime and movie. biggrin.gif

Sometimes, I just don't understand why people hate her.

--------------------
-----{M Y | F O R U M | F A M I L Y}-----
[L I T T L E | S I S T E R ] Frozen Ice Alchemist

+Quote Post
Cece
post Nov 27 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,077

The list of reasons why I love Winry is wayyyy to long to count. wub_anim.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post Nov 30 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

I like Winry so much
But I don't love (( EdxWin))

I like her long yellow hair !!!

and this my drawing about Winry

bay for now

+Quote Post
Womie
post Aug 12 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 69,364

Winry rocks. She is cooler than her haters xD!

and this my drawing about Winry

It's really amazing ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Aug 12 2009, 08:45 AM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

I love Winry, she's one of my favorite anime characters and up there as Kaoru Kamiya from Rurouni Kenshin. I always wanted Ed to get with her ever snice I first saw the anime and was pleased the manga is going in that direction athough I'm very disappointed with the first anime and movie with that not being the only reason.

Winry like most famous manga female characters will have her own group of haters. It's like a rule especially among yaoi fans.

I can't help but think she's hot, her personality, traits, history and her story is so appealing.

atleast Edwin is very popular especially in the japanese sites I posted in the Ed Winry thread.

+Quote Post
Full-Fledged Alc...
post Aug 12 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 69,399

Well, as an EdxWin shipper, I can fully say that I love Winry! She's spunky, she's funny, she's cool...and she's not a freaking Mary Sue like a certain pink-banged girl who like's to live in ignorance...but, that's beside the point...

As a whole, I think it's awesome that she's a female in an anime, and she's not constantly shouting help! I mean seriously, I love Kagome from Inuyasha, but she sure needed saving a lot...

But yeah, all but one female character in FMA have a lot of good traits. Most of them being strong, independent, and realistic.

But seriously, who has bangs in the 1920s/30s?

Okay, I'm done...GO WINRY!

--------------------
Hughes: I've got a message from Roy.
Ed: You mean the colonel.
Hughes: He said "Don't die under my command, you're enough trouble without the paperwork..."...that's it...
Ed: Tell him "Fine, there's no way I'm dying before you, you morally bankrupt colonel with a God Complex."

+Quote Post
SilverCyrus
post Aug 19 2009, 01:38 AM
Post #40

Citizen

Member No.: 70,581

I didnt like her after watching the Anime, but after reading the manga i started to love her more and more.
actuallythe manga did that for alot of the characters, it goes more in depth with the characters.
but anyway, yah Winry is one of my favs now.

+Quote Post
edxwinryfan
post Sep 5 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #41

Apprentice

Member No.: 59,190

I adore Winry smile.gif She hasn't been in the manga for SOOOOOOO long!!! It REALLY bugs me. I also LOVE EdxWinry smile.gif biggrin.gif happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Nov 12 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #42

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Well ya know what? Winry is cooler than her haters and the reasons they have for hating her. Because there are WAY more reasons to love her, and too many people don't give her the credit she deserves.

1. She's not a damsel-in-distress
2. Or a Mary Sue
3. She's bright and intelligent
4. She's strong, independent and confident
5. She has serious GUTS
6. She's spunky, funny and sweet
7. She has maturity and wisdom
8. She keeps a level head when things get crazy
9. She steps up to the plate when she's needed
10. She's not afraid to (literally) knock some sense into people when they need it, especially Ed and Al wink.gif
11. On the other hand, she's also very caring and sensitive
12. She is fiercely loyal
13. She cares very deeply for Ed and Al and wants what's best for them
14. She does everything in her power to support them and keep them going, both physically and emotionally
15. She's tomboyish, but she has a beautiful feminine side too
16. Going hand-in-hand with that, she's very cute and pretty <3
17. She has flaws...which is a good thing, because it makes her a realistic, well-rounded character
18. When she makes mistakes, she fixes them and learns from them.
19. When she does something wrong, she apologizes.
20. She's not afraid to cry or express her emotions...and whenever she DOES cry, it's for a good reason
21. She's an ordinary girl who doesn't have any special powers or status...but that doesn't stop her from kicking butt and being awesome.

And each and every one of those reasons has solid canon proof behind it. I could cite manga chapters and keep going, but I have schoolwork to finish.

Which list did you say was longer, again? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post Nov 12 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

<Note: The post below has since been moved to "Reason why people hate Winry?" thread.
~ Board Staff>

QUOTE (Superninja @ Nov 12 2009, 01:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Cece @ Nov 27 2008, 04:49 PM) *
The list of reasons why I love Winry is wayyyy to long to count. wub_anim.gif

I have to say the list of reasons why she shld be hated wld probably be longer.
for starters
1. shes a gold digger
2. she has an annoying obsession with automail/ed
3. asks people stupid questions eg. have you ever shot anyone? asking this to riza who is cleaning 1 gun and has 3 more visible guns on her person
4. she is a man beater
5. she sleeps with spanners(look at opening 1 if u dont believe me)
6. forgets to do the simplist things(like putting in a screw) which lead to ed getting hurt
7. she has a terrible dress sense (she wears a black bra on most days)
8. she abandoned pinako to go to rushvalley
9. she gets in the way (when she nearly got herself killed by trying to kill scar)
10. she is so full of herself thinking that she is the best.
11. she is too VIOLENT for such small matters
12. she believes she is the best automailist in the world
and there are many more exept i have to go

I think that Superninja is in a wrong thread (this one is for fans), and mixing up Winry's characterization from the manga and the first anime, which are quite different from each other. And exaggerating.

(I'll only talk about the manga/Brotherhood version, mostly manga, since it's been a long time since I saw the first anime and am not very familiar with it anymore.)
Winry is interested in automail because it's what she wants to do for living, and what she is good at. And she cares about Edward (and Alphonse), because she is their close friend.

If we're talking about the scene in the manga flashback, Winry was still a kid when she asked Hawkeye about that. Besides, I think it was more of wanting some kind of confirmation than "asking stupid questions". People ask things like that a lot, really, and it just does not seem like a reason to hate a character, or even dislike them.

The "gold digging" and "man beating" I think are more like comedic aspects that are not meant to be taken as literally as the more serious parts of the story. Other "do not take completely literally" elements in the manga include Al stabbing people's foreheads with the horn on his helmet, etc... I think those things are not meant to have as much emotional emphasis as the more serious moments.

I don't think forgetting the screw was a simple thing: Automail seems quite complicated to me. Besides, she had been pulling all-nighters because Ed wanted to have a new arm as quickly as possible, and Winry was nice enough to sacrifice her free time and sleep for that. Besides, the arm malfunction actually led to Ed not getting as hurt as he could have otherwise. Envy even says that thanks to the automail malfunction, the homunculi don't have to beat him up worse than that.

Never thought her fashion sense was terrible. I personally wouldn't wear miniskirts like she does, but that's mostly because I happen to have ugly legs.

Pinako herself went to study in Rush Valley when she was young, and actually encouraged Winry and was proud of her when she didn't come back once work got hard. Lots of people move away from their families to study or work. I'm currently living away from my family because of my studies. Never thought I was a horrible person because of that.

Winry's interactions with Scar were, in the end, a big part of what made Scar able to let go of his revenge and learn to endure what the Amestrian military did to his people. Additionally, about "getting in the way", I think Winry was really smart in the way she got out of the way as soon as she found out she was being used as a hostage against the brothers. It was really mostly Winry's own good thinking that got her out of that one.

Again, I'm only really familiar with the mangaverse, but I never got the idea that Winry thinks she is the best automail mechanic, or is particularly full of herself. She wouldn't want to be an apprentice of a better automail mechanic if she thought that. I think Winry found Dominic to be the best (or one of the best) automail mechanics; Winry herself is gifted, and very good for someone her age, but she is perfectly aware that older, wiser mechanics, who have been making automail for a long time, know more about it than she does.

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Nov 12 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #44

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

LOL, I love how both of you have excuses of why you can't put more on your list. biggrin.gif
I'm sure you DID have more though, right? wink.gif
As for me, I like Winry. Lots of people say that she's annoying, but really? Are you seriously feeling annoying while reading script on a page? Are you reading the manga and thinking, "Wow, this book annoys me so much!" Or even when watching the show. I mean, to insult Winry is to insult Arakawa's work. And pretty much, like, whole 1/4 of the series. I mean, if you don't like her, I'm not gonna start yelling at you or whatever, but I really just don't understand your logic. confused.gif I've had characters in shows that I don't really like before, because I don't approve of their actions and behaviors, but I've never really been irritated by one before. Guess I'm just not getting into it as much as others.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Superninja
post Nov 14 2009, 03:12 AM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 69,562

@Ropespinner - im not saying that you are a horrible person for leaving i am just saying that she left her grandma all alone with no one to look after her.

And I dont seem to recal Al EVER hitting someone he liked with his horn, i thought it was only in fights, no cause he got pissed of because his friends had come home, or done something stupid.

and im not saying that people should im just expressing my own opinion. and just because i dont like one character doesnt mean that i am insulting the author. i think that Arakawa has done an amazing job with this manga and i hope that it doesnt end any time soon

--------------------
Roy Mustang ist erstaunlich!!!!!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2016 - 04:56 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css