Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Apr 17 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #32

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,890

Do you all know what is really stupid about this whole thing? South Park has already had an episode with Muhammad in it, the Super Best Friends episode. Comedy Central is freaking out about nothing really, if somebody was going to suicide bomb them I think they would have done it already.

+Quote Post
Le Monkey
post Apr 17 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #33

Major General

Member No.: 2,167

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 16 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]381991[/snapback]

Prince can say most things, but if you want an exapmle of someone who cocks up when talking in public, Mayor of London

Yeah but could he do this?

thats not even the prince.. fool.. xD

Comedy central is overreacting and backing out.. <<

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Apr 17 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #34

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

thats not even the prince.. fool.. xD

Google image search Prince Philip or Duke of Edinbouruh(sp?)

And Comedy Central have become far to cowardly these days.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
MonsterEnvy
post Apr 17 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #35

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 32,500

Ick, i hate this computer. I just lost a response....

Okay, so.

The true meaning of free speech is acrually very confused. it's quite simple- in the US, free speech allows people to express any beliefs they have as long as these are not blatant fabrications that would cause or lead people to cause themselves harm (the fire in a crowded theatre example) or in such a way as that they are threatening (cross burnings). So, it's perfectly legal for a KKK member to say that he thinks that all gays and blacks should die. It's not legal for them to say that they would like to kill all gays and blacks. the difference is that the second is threatening, while the first is not- directly. In the example earlier in this thread with the Christians who complained that they had their free speech repressed because they couldn't dis gays, the chrsitians have no case. They can't be kept from saying 'i think homosexuality is wrong' but they can be kept from saying 'I want to kill gays and send them all to hell' because that's threatening and harmful.

Also, the bit with Comedy Central and their refusal to show the Muslim cartoons has very little to do with free speech. Instead, they simply made an educated decision to not show inflamatory images. While they shouldn't have had to worry about their safety, they also made the socially correct choice to not anger a group of people whose religion has already been trampled and defaced. Really, shows like 'South Park' misuse, if not abuse, their free speech rights. They express opinions, but in a very derogatory way. This is legal... but it's still opinion, and protected, not statement, and therefore not free speech. That's not to say that I don't enjoy these shows, but it's just a way of using them to illustrate this point.

yep...

Oh. also, popo, liberals don't really want everyone to conform to their opinions, I think. They're more interested in making free speech free, but also unoffensive. Republicans are interested in allowing pretty much anyone to say whatever they want- especially giving businesses free speech and all the rights of people. In essence, businesses are people. they have birth certificates, death certificates, free speech, constitutional rights, and even a bit of a variant of a social security number. Replublicans also want to be sure that none of the free speech contradicts the government.

--------------------

Sig and tag by Nil-Chan
Punctuation, spelling, and general grammar are our friends! Don't look like an idiot, and be sure not to use numbers in words or toss random Japanese words into sentences where they don't belong.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2016 - 07:24 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css