HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Am I The Only Person Who Decided Fma Anime Ain't That Great?, Thoughts after watching the final episode
nakagos bunny
post Mar 20 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,941

<Edited to add subtitle "thoughts after watching the final episode" to better describe the content of the thread. 02/21/07 ~Tombow>

Well, now that it's over, looking back on it, while there are some elements I like, overall the series fell flat for me.

Here's something I posted at another forum to express this:

*I think that's what happened to me with FMA anime. Having watched the whole series now, I've realized that there's just something about it that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It was hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but I think it's just the overall direction the series took after they stopped following Hiromu Arakawa's manga and did their own thing.

Here's an interesting write-up by another FMA-watcher who also wasn't impressed, and I think they kinda hit the nail on the head about what's wrong with the series.

http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/2005/04/special/04.php

*possible FMA anime spoilers*

What I don't like also is that they try so hard to make a point of some sort, but everything is so jumbled that by the end you're asking, what was the point? And if you do find a point, it isn't anything good. It seems to be that "life sucks", basically.

They don't reveal where Envy came from until the end, and by then it's too late for Ed or Al to have a chance to try to reach out to their sort-of brother.

There's no themes that I like in a story,like love and positive attitudes solving any problems. Everything is just gloom and doom. I guess if you like that kind of thing, FMA is for you, but it didn't work for me. I also felt that Ed and Al were set up for us to root for, only to fail basically in the end. And I don't like a series that leaves a movie to tie up loose ends instead of finishing what they started in the actual t.v. show.

*end spoilers*

I think I'd recommend people to just stick with the manga. It's got a lot more humor, better characterizations and a more organized plot, and not so much "people suck and life sucks, just deal with it!" kind of attitude. *

The person I wrote that to responded with saying that she watched some of FMA but after a while found it to be an angst-fest, and while most anime has some angst, "I'd rather not be swimming in it".

FMA is too depressing, and I don't watch anime to become depressed. If I want all the horror of the real world on my screen, I'll watch the news.

I think I like the manga, and animes like Naruto or Shaman King that while they have some violence, have a positive theme overall.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Mar 20 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

QUOTE(nakagos bunny @ Mar 20 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]366351[/snapback]

It was hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but I think it's just the overall direction the series took after they stopped following Hiromu Arakawa's manga and did their own thing.

*Twitch*

Arakawa wanted it to be different. She was only so far with the manga that there really wasn't an altogether conclusive arc released, and if she had gone and spilled every freaking detail that she had planned, then that would have not only spoiled the manga, but made an extremely boring anime. Watching the animation just to see the exact events of the original regurgitated is not thrilling. And in fact, Arakawa liked it. She even said that her favorite part was how they changed the origins of homunculi.

There's no themes that I like in a story,like love and positive attitudes solving any problems. Everything is just gloom and doom. I guess if you like that kind of thing, FMA is for you, but it didn't work for me. I also felt that Ed and Al were set up for us to root for, only to fail basically in the end. And I don't like a series that leaves a movie to tie up loose ends instead of finishing what they started in the actual t.v. show.

"The world is imperfect. That's why it is beautiful" - Roy Mustang

Love and positive attitudes don't solve any problems. If you want tripe like that, then watch the Telletubbies or something. If you want that central theme, then watch Fruits Basket- wait... oh snap. Even though Fruits Basket promotes that as well, they also portray the world with realism, and show that, gasp, life also does have a lot of sucky stuff going on and nothing is perfect. Love and positive attitudes don't solve everything for Tohru, because people just hate her for being such a sweet girl.

There is no "one true theme" for fullmetal alchemist. Everyone needs to take out something different from it. You need to think, feel along with it, feel the pain and the happiness and draw your own conclusion from the story. For my experience, Fullmetal Alchemist is entirely about love. So I don't see where you find it lacking there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sarion
post Mar 20 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 33,262

I can see where nakago is coming from on this one. I have to disagree with most people who didn't like the series but after reading this I can understand. I was expecting something near the end to be happy. Ed and Al would get their boddies back and they would head back to Rizenbul. Instead Ed ends up in some alternate reality with his auto mail still on him. The series is way to opened ended and I have to agree on how they made a movie that would explain what happend. That should have been finished it the series. While I still enjoy the series VERY much the outcome did leave me very confused and still leaves the question "why did they do that?"

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 20 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #4

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

Ed doesn't have his auto mail,he has a prostetic arm and leg.
When he holds his arm up and it turns into aotumail(IIRC) it's a kind of dreamy thing.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Mar 20 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #5

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

I just read that guys review and it seems to me that he's one of those people who look for what's wrong with a series just so he can say he didn't like it.

I didn't really feel any of his arguements held water. He was mainly whining about how dark FMA was.

That characters didn't learn anything? What? Were they suppose to stand up at the end like Stan does on South Park and say "You know, I learned something today."

As for the rest of it I think Toby pretty much sumed it up.

+Quote Post
Tyna
post Mar 20 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #6

Apprentice

Member No.: 28,129

Yeah, the anime just died for me. I don't care about the anime anymore. I just watch it now just because to see the hot characters moving and just not drawings on a page, that's all. I mean, people get worked up about it and be cussing out Dante in some of the forums, but I was like, "I don't care". As long as it's not Hiromu Arakawa's original work, I don't care.

+Quote Post
Keoni
post Mar 20 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 29,992

*still laughing about the stan-comment*

Right, I agree with Toby too. It seems to me that Nakagos is contradicting herself (sorry girl)

@nakagos: You say you don't like it because it's dark and gloomy and depressing. But I wouldn't call the manga cheery and happy. (au contraire)
So I don't really get where you're coming from... What did you expect? The theme wasn't happy and cheery to begin with.

On the side: I get really cheery from watching FMA biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gryphenix
post Mar 21 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 33,197

Ok, first, there is an incredibly positive theme. Ed and Al love each other, want the best for each other. This show is all about that bond between brothers. Second, the ending is the way it is because there is a movie. It resolves all this. Third, life is hard. It takes originality to try and make something good (the brothers bond) out of something that many times is harsh and difficult. The draw for me to the series was the uncompromising love Ed and Al have for each other, the fact that they would give up everything for each other. That is so beautiful for me, because it is something you do not see in the world today.
I also agree with Toby Chan. Simply animating a manga is a poor idea. Peter Jackson took LOTR and made it his own while remaining true to the overall plot. It made those movies so much better. If he had stuck to the books, it might have been alright, but then he could not have been creative.

+Quote Post
kiori
post Mar 21 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 30,581

The anime was amazing. I love the manga as well, and since I'm only on volume 5 i've got a ways to go. I am so glad the anime takes a different direction, because it's like I have a whole other story to read now. If it was the same as the anime I'd just be reading the exact same story. And like Toby said, Arakawa was consulted on the making of the anime and it was approved by her. Just the fact the orignal creator had that much to do with it and liked it makes it good and it doesn't bother me that it's different because of that. Plus, how could they have stayed true to the manga? They only had the first 5 volumes or so to work with.
As to the ending, I personally get tired of happy ones. Because the show was a bit dark (which I don't agree that it made it bad, on the contrary that is part of the appeal) the ending was fitting. It would have been kinda lame after a story like this for everything to be all sunshine and flowers and everyone goes back to Resembool and lives happily ever after. The whole message about Equivalent Exchange at the end does, in my opinion, tie up a lot of loose ends. Ed and Al realize that the law they've based their life on doesn't apply to everything, and yet their perseverence and determination was enough to get them at least something they wanted. If it would have turned out perfect and everyone was together and Ed and Al were both back to normal I just don't think that would've worked. Like they say in the show, the world isn't perfect and things just don't usually turn out that way.
Arakawa created an amazing story. I don't know just how different the two are yet, they're still pretty close at vol. 5. But regardless of how the manga turns out I think they're both different, amazingly well-done renditions of the same story. I hear so many complaints about the ending but I absolutley loved it, even though it was sad and a cliffhanger. Hey, that's what the movie is for! And another thing, this is anything but depressing, I enjoyed this story and the characters so much that it made me happy when I watched it, I just couldn't wait to find out what happened next.
*phew* kind of got carried away but I can't help it. I hate when people dis the anime. By the way nakago, I read that article you posted (it really pissed me off) and I can refute just about everything the writer says. Just because you personally didn't understand it or didn't like the ending does not make it a bad show. anyway I coupld gripe for hours but I guess I'll stop here...for now

+Quote Post
Colette
post Mar 21 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #10

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

If the anime had not strayed from the manga, I would not enjoy the manga as much, and there would be no point in reading it, because it'd be animated. It's enough of a reason for me to like it >_>

--------------------

+Quote Post
nakagos bunny
post Mar 21 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #11

Apprentice

I don't mind that they deviated from the manga, I just think it could have been better done.

And I don't expect everything to be all perfect and happy-happy as you're all suggesting, I just don't think everything has to be gloom and doom either.

And I know several others who also found the anime disappointing. Never want to see it again. Nor do I.

Bah, I knew I'd be flamed and dissed for making this topic, but oh well. Just had to get my thoughts out there.

Maybe my problem is that this series beats death to death, and given that I've had emotional problems over fear of death, this series just contemplating it over and over and shoving it down my throat made me sick. Like I said, I ended up depressed after it was over, and while I don't have to see everything perfect and happy in a show, I don't watch t.v. to become depressed. It's a personal thing.

*prepares to be flamed away as usually happens on this forum. Oh, and I'll be called a whiny baby for calling people on flaming me too. But, they won't be called on flaming me. Now I know why I don't post here much.^________^*

+Quote Post
kiori
post Mar 21 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #12

Citizen

Oh well. To each his own I suppose. I just don't understand why you watched it if you don't like death. This is a dark story, so if you can't handle angst then I don't recomend it.

+Quote Post
nakagos bunny
post Mar 21 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

Heh, well I think I continued watching because for one thing, I don't like to quit on a series, and then I also wanted to see what happened to everyone. And I think I was hoping for a more upbeat, happy ending. Something where I felt like Ed and Al got all that they'd been working so hard for all this time.

I don't mind some death in a series, I just don't like it to be overwhelming in it, and I don't mind some angst, but I guess like my friend said, "I don't want to be swimming in it."

*shrugs* Oh well, I wasn't saying my opinion is the only right one or anything, I was just saying that overall I found the series overrated and was curious if anyone else did, that's all the point of this topic was, not to trash the show.

+Quote Post
Melydragon
post Mar 21 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 30,365

What Toby said at the beginning is totally true. Fullmetal Alchemist is entirely of love and the struggles they have to face through their journey. Not everything is going to be happy-guiddy. And the themes were never meant to be happy anyways. They really reflected the story and I am not sorry I watched the anime version. If it wasn´t for the anime maybe I wouldn´t have read the manga in the first place.

--------------------
Taking a ride in the time wind, let´s cross the heaven,
Somewhere in the rainbow that leads to the door of the dreams
-Wind of Magic

+Quote Post
kiori
post Mar 21 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #15

Citizen

same. the anime is the reason I picked up the manga. and I love them both.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css