HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Your Opinions And Emotions After Watching The Cos Movie?, Let's talk about the FMA movie here! (Spoiler Warning!)
Rating 3 V
How did you feel after watching the movie?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 303
Guests cannot vote 
sachiko hyuuchi
post Jul 31 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,339

QUOTE(The Great Asparagus @ Mar 5 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]358732[/snapback]

i cried from both happiness and sadness. well i was happy because ed finally got to reunite with his dear beloved brother and i felt sooo happy for them, especially after when i thought that they were gonna be seperated again. and then i felt sooooo sad because now they'll never see winry or mustang or other ppl like that again and i also mourned for alphonse heiderichblah. and i felt kinda empty inside cuz ed and al just had to be stuck on THAT side of the gate, cuz the whole anime is about them and their awesome alchemyness, but now they can't do anything. it's such a waste for both ed and al. they've become such amazing alchemists!! wahhhh T__T

I know! It just doesn't really seem like "fullmetal ALCHEMIST" anymore... and well ED still has his automail =\

I was pretty confused when ed actually WANTED to go back to the other world (the munich one), all the time he was trying to get back and saying he's living in that dream that's never real.

Like the majority of a LOT of people, I was sad when Ed left and could never see his friends and ESPECIALLY winry again.

The ending was pretty unexpected... I still don't really undestand it though, it's probably too complicated since i'm still .. not their age -.- but I'll probably understand in three to five years' time lol

--------------------
¸.´¯`*.¸.*´¯`ºOne is All and All is Oneº´¯`*.¸.´¯`*.¸.·´
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Culinary_Alchemi...
post Aug 9 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 39,515

OMG when Ed and Al were almost separated i was crying like nooooooooooooooooo they HAVE to be together other wise the movie was a waist and then when Al came out of the armor i was like *sigh of happiness*......the end was bitter sweet, i liked it... could have been worst atleats Ed saw Winry and some of the other before he left for good.....

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
nihilist
post Aug 13 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #48

Citizen

Member No.: 39,658

The movie was good up until the ending. I mean it could have had a bit more action...didnt really seem like i was wathcing the same full metal alchemist. i was happy to see mustang actually do some alchemy...alphonse became too much of an ed wanabe whichwas kind of lame in my opinion. the ending and how the story concluded...was pretty terrible. THey practically ruined the entire series..Hoheinheim's sacrifice was basically useless, (in fact it did more harm than good) And i really wanted to see Envy vs. Ed in a proper fight without Envy's cheap tactics like in the last episdoes of the series...helpless dragon envy was way too anticlimatic...the way the series ended it would have fit perfeclty if envy became the main villain of the movie because of how the series last showed him. He was also the most evil out of the 7 homonculi and was defiant as well...they couldve done so much more with envy's character.i mean he also had the dramatic history as well. But no..they had to turn him into a helpless dragon instead! (not to mention it doesnt show what hapend to him) He couldve been using the nazi ppl to open a gate and then go in it himself and become a homonculi again and fight ed and al thereby nullyfing their reason to return to the crappy world. Ed and Al shouldve stayed in their Shamballa world because the other world sucked and it seemed out of place that htey stayed there.. it seemed unsatisfactory that he just left all the subplots unanswered in that world (ie, winry) i mean winry and ed have that chemistry thing (like when she was braiding hsi hair) it seemed neglectful on teh creators part to just ignore all that. Mustangs story was left incomplete as well. Anyway, movie was ok..the way the entire plot was solved was stupid, and that lady was easily the worst anime villain ive ever seen...in the sub i saw, she kept calling transmutation circles 'magic circles' and she fought ed for like 2 secs before getting beaten. Gluttony wuldve been a better main villain! Another sequel is necessary.

+Quote Post
Kynikos
post Aug 25 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 23,578

I clicked "Happy yet sad because it wasn't a happy ending and there probably won't be any more to FMA." Well, it was the end of the anime and manga is still going strong. I was happy Edward and Alphonse were reunited in the end but the rest of the characters seemed to be forgotten. Main characters are important but supporting characters are a good addition to the storyline.
Although, three years have passed I still have this sense that Edward didn't "grow up" until the ending. He had a strong focus on his past and made the storyline awkward in our world. Either this was intentional or I'm missing character development wink.gif .

--------------------
Like they say: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, what makes your stronger makes you a killer"

+Quote Post
gryphenix
post Aug 26 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 33,197

Ok, let me reiterate this. This series was never about Ed and Winry hooking up, falling in love, getting married, or even having a happy ending. Heck, it is barely implied throughout the entire series. The series was about Ed and Al returning their bodies to normal, which they accomplished, and equivalence. The point is that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Al wanted to be with Ed, so he had to give up his world. As a result, he gets his memories, but no more alchemy. Ed loses Winry, but he gets his brother. If the movie had ended with the brothers separated again, that would have been the letdown. It would have left the series with the wide open hole of the brothers being apart. The way it was ended, there is closure. They can't go back. Winry knows this and seemed to accept it. Mustang came back, and you know by the way Hawkeye acted that that will turn out all right. Just let the WinryxEd thing go. She was more a sister than a romantic intrest.

+Quote Post
aviazn
post Aug 26 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #51

Citizen

Member No.: 33,232

So what do you guys think of the movie after seeing the English dub? I watched the series dubbed, watching the movie fansubbed, and I have to say my opinion of the movie improved dramatically after seeing the dub tonight. Whether that's because Funi's script was an improvement on the fansub or just because I'm more accustomed to hearing the Funi cast, I'm not sure--probably a bit of both. This time around, I understood the characters' motivations much better (esp. Ed and Al, and why they make the choices they do) and what I had regarded previously as major plot holes were more or less eased by the dub script. I still think it attempts a bit too much--trying to tie up the loose plot strands from the series, while at the same time introducing new themes with the Weimar Republic setting--but I'd rather watch something that errs on the side of ambition than caution, and I admire the movie for it.

+Quote Post
r315razor
post Aug 26 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 31,132

I loved the movie completly. What made it more satisfying is that beyond all temptation, I waited until it came out. So I did not watch it before hand. biggrin.gif

The only thing I hated is that I had to pee for the last hour of the movie. But I held it in! rolleyes.gif

The crowed in the theatre was all "YEA!!!" When Mustang showed up to fend off the army.
Such a cool movie.

Although the ending did leave it as "we have this to do" it was the type that you know they can accomplesh.

But would be really cool is if there is a new movie that finished it. (Which there is a 99/100 chance of not happening)

But none the less, I loved it completly! Best anime movie I have seen in a wile!

oh... and.... WHY IS HUGHS A NAZI?!?

--------------------

+Quote Post
nihilist
post Aug 27 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #53

Citizen

Member No.: 39,658

The ending wouldve been acceptable if they made up for it with a better villain..man, like i said, WORST villain of all time.

+Quote Post
Minna
post Aug 29 2006, 05:37 AM
Post #54

Citizen

Member No.: 40,232

I was sad. Really really das. I cried when the credit texts started, and then cried again when I was going to bed. And again on the next day (which was yesterday btw). I just felt... cheated. "No they can't just go! They'll HAVE to live with their friends and all!!" I was kind of happy that Ed and Al were together, but still can't accept that they're no longer in the world that they belong into.
They didn't think any about Winry or anyone else.
And I wonder about one thing. If the gate coul've been opened with just one side of it working, Ed coul've been gone to "this" world, deastroyed the portal, then Al could've opened it from the other side and Ed could go home. If both sides are needed, they wouldn't have had to deastroy them both. A big plothole. WHY did they do it like that? T__T
I kinda know everything can't have a happy ending, but still... They worked so hard and waited and all, so they DESERVED a happy ending.
*draws short comics with other endings and hangs onto the manga version*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kivrin
post Aug 31 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 40,344

The movie was great, but I was a little disappointed. The folks at Funimation said that it would give fans closure, but at the end, I felt like I wanted another movie. Something's missing. I think closure should feel more ... satisfying.

And yeah, the initial attacks on Central and Lior(e) were conducted without someone opening the portal from the Elrics' homeworld. There was no reason for anyone to be stuck in this world. Left me feeling ... empty. The villain was ... lacklustre. And even if Al and Ed ended up here, why - and I've watched only the fansub - did they just seem to accept not being able to go home again? Wouldn't trying to open a portal back home seem less daunting for 2 alchemists that didn't think regaining a lost body was impossible?
Oh... although... getting through The Gate and getting attacked by the creatures would be a problem. They wouldn't have a rocket this time. <ponder>

<sigh> Thank goodness for the manga. But I will definitely miss seeing it animated. I'm still hoping that Conqueror of Shamballa won't be the last FMA movie they make... but perhaps I shouldn't hold my breath.

So after my 3-day FMA binge on all 51 eps, the OVAs and the movie, I'm at a loss...until I start ordering the manga anyway!

<sigh>

+Quote Post
shanyetta23
post Sep 8 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 40,677

QUOTE(The Regal Tigress @ Jun 24 2006, 06:58 AM) [snapback]415636[/snapback]

*spoilers*

Thoughts from a filmmaker... (my degree has to come in useful somewhere...right?)

Random FMA Movie Thoughts: *spoilers*

So in addition to all the work I've been doing the last few days, I've spent some time tracking down rumors of a second FMA movie (thanks guys!)... of which there seems to be none planned. "Officially" the director of both the anime and movie has said he will not direct anymore FMA anime, so... that doesn't necessarily mean the concept is out, only that if anything ever pops up, it would likely be directed by someone else. Now, maybe they use the manga as inspiration (since midway through the two diverged in story/characters), but, well, while the manga moves on, the anime seems it might very well have ended.

About the movie, more closely...

And to be honest, that leaves a little empty spot in my heart because I enjoyed it SO much, and I'm such an audio/visual person, that while I am enjoying the manga, and am happy it's going to continue for awhile yet, it's still not the same thing, and I sort of feel that now, having read the manga, I can see part of the anime director's emphasis on the story, and.... it fascinates me.

See, I saw the end of the FMA series and I was ... very disheartened.  I mean, yes, it was sweet the two of them were alive and human, but I felt so CHEATED. I firmly believed the two of them would have been happier together: even with Alphonse as a suit of armor.  And it just ...arg. It felt so unsatisfying.

Then I watched the FMA movie (read: watched the horrible fan subs by various translators a few times before I finally, REALLY understood what was going on, and what people were saying).   And you know, from what I can tell about 80% of fans HATE the movie. Like, outright hate.  And part of me used to be that way (mainly because the whole London/Munich subplot was so "WTF?" at the end of the series, and in the movie of course), but.... these last few days particularly I've been thinking about it, and while the storyteller in me still wants to see some loose ends ties up (Roy/Riza, The "Uranium Bomb" etc.), I think I have a new appreciation for the ending.

See.  For me it felt "GOOD" the boys were together again. Undoubtedly I was MUCH happier with that ending than the series' ending, but I realized the other night that it was not a "perfect" ending.  That's what my mind wanted: it wanted the "perfect" ending. The "we are wrapped up in a tiny bow and everything is wonderful now!" ending.... and that's not FMA. Bad people die.  Good people die. Everything comes with a price. The world is imperfect.

THAT is why the ending fits.  I mean, it sucks where they are, and that Ed still has his auto-mail, but _BUT_ the arc of brotherly love has been completed. And THAT is what the anime was about from the start! No: not Winry, not "mother," not anything like that, but sacrifice, true sacrifice and the amazingly strong bond between two brothers. And that is exactly what the end of the movie showcased. The two of them had to pay a price for all that's happened.

And they did! And THAT is why it can't be wrapped up in a pretty bow! They can no longer go home (at least... assuming the Colonel put the other side of the gate down, and even then... details details...), but even when they had a resemblence of a "home," it's not as if they went there often anyways. No: being around eachother is the key. That is the great, big, lesson in all of this. That all along they were searching to revive their mother, and to help themselves, and in the end all that matters is eachother.

...isn't that just amazing? I mean, after all that, that IS an ending. That is such an amazingly heartening, beautiful thing, that it brings me to tears! (And mind you, I'm glad Alphonse got his body back. Poor boy deserved it, but if they BOTH came out entirely human and back in their home world...doesn't that seem the faintest bit contrived? Doesn't it seem like unequal trade?).

Or, to think of it another way: both brothers sacrifice themselves for the other (see: the last few episodes of the series), so even through that, by all accounts shouldn't one or both be dead? And instead we get to see them both alive, together? Isn't that an amazing journey, and wasn't it worth the cost? Just think of the journey they've gone on, and somehow, not only have they both matured, but they have finally sort of met in the middle with how they think/act (though that is more towards the end of the series than the film, admittedly).

So... it might not have been the way I would have told the story, but... it's a story that needs told, I feel. And that makes it even more powerful. It's tragic, but not at the same time. It's a different sort of "closure" than I'm accustomed to.

And I'm thankful for the journey the director has taken me on, because I feel more "awake" because of it.

The ending is not perfectly happy, since it is imperfect, but I "feel" it more now.

I certainly welcome thoughts from others. smile.gif

-Kymba

I like the way you have put things and you are right, but here is what bothers me. I felt that, yes, the story is about the boys, but that other characters became truly important and they were not given time to shine or closure. I speak of Roy/Riza etc... I felt sad for Winry (the boys were part of her family). And even though they were stuck on the other side the second to last scene, Ed and Al are still going to try to find a way back, ("It will be harder without alchemy"), but then in the last scene Ed say, "this is our world...blablabla...it would be hard to detach ourselves from it... WTF! I didn't like that, I didn't like that he was happy in "our world", when he has so many people who love him and will miss him in his. That's what made me have a bad taste in my mouth at the end. That one line ruined it for me. I was saddened by the movie and I would have rather just made up my own ending from the way that the Anime ended, at least it was hopeful. I didn't feel that the movie had a hoepful ending.
-Shanyetta23 sad.gif

+Quote Post
Untitled
post Sep 17 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #57

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 38,823

I liked it but it lacked.. It was too darn short sad.gif
@sachiko hyuuchi
I think that Ed didn't really want to go back, but then who'd send the warship back? But it was kinda sweet of Al to go back with Ed.. Brotherly love laugh.gif!
I was a lil disappointed since there was no Royai (I'm a fan happy.gif)..
But it was okay happy.gif I'm still hoping for another one though..

--------------------
Back from the <insert place>. Reconstructing <:

+Quote Post
InsaneFangirl
post Sep 17 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #58

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,530

I was quite satisfied with the dub. ^^ The first few times I watched the movie had the most terrible subs you can imagine.

Ex:

"What about Winry? She misses you too!"

Would be: "What bout Wendy?"

So it captured alot more emotion for me. Especially when Alphoze Hendrich said something along the lines of "This may not be your world, but it is mine, and I want to have proof that I lived in it! It's a little late for you to start caring now!"

I was upset that they left Winry and everyone behind, but it's much better then the brothers being seperated. That was the whole point of the anime. Al has his body back, and even though Edward still has his automail, that's the way it should be. Edward sacrificed his few minutes with his new arm for Al. Alphonse never deserved to be in the armor. As much as I adore Edward with all my heart, it was his idea to transmute their mother in the first place. I think the movie was great.

--------------------

Edo-kun lover! ^_^;;

Fanfic!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2628866/5/

+Quote Post
Nicoli Flamel
post Sep 25 2006, 07:06 AM
Post #59

Citizen

Member No.: 41,353

The Regal Tigress, while I agree with what you said about the story being good. That, yes the world is imperfect and that yes I did love the way things worked out for the brothers. The writer in me wasn't all that thrilled at what happened. Like you in the past few days I was digesting the story as a fan first then as a writer (My BA in Fiction writing et all). The thing for me wasn't the fact that the movie ended the way it did, while I was (as a fan) disatified by it, I was glad that the Elric's were back together. It was the fact of what Ed implied at the end and, what I feel are gaping plot holes as well as several weak story arcs, and a villian that left much to be desired, as well as missed opertunities that leave a taste in my mouth.

Yes, over all I think the animation was very good. The color varitations between our world and the Hagane/Shamballa world were perfect in illistrating the differences between our world (muted browns of various shades. You'll even note that Ed's and Al's hair color until the very end were darker blonde and brown respectively.) and their world (Bright vibrant colors, not very many muted tones save for the shadows and such). Along with the way the cities were drawn, (at least they did their reseach this time rather then in the show. I still don't get why they used so many zeplins, when it was only one wooden plane that was shot down.), and how they potrayed the Romas in the stoy, that I felt pleased with.

What I ulitmately disliked as a writer though was what I felt was a cop out ending. Now I'm sure other people will tell me that I'm basically wrong here, that it wasn't, and that there was little that could be done to end it another way. But from what I saw there were several other ways to end it that still packed an emotional punch. Best example, rather then just having Ed and Al leave via plane, have them leave the plane behind and go though the gate another way. This way you can show that maybe Their world will be catching up technologically to ours. I can easily compare the ending of Escaflowne to FMA, as both hero's have to leave a world that they've become used to. Hitome went back to her world possibly forever, Ed and Al leave their world for good -or so it seems. The difference is that with Esca there's a sense of hope. Maybe she won't go back but it's clear that there's still something connecting her to that world in some way. End and Al are given this "And they ride off to find the bomb" ending that just seemed...wrong. It's almost feels for me that they're sherking off responsiblity in their world. Also the gate gets to me too, but I'll get to that when I talk about the plot holes

This brings me to the line that Ed says at the end. Why this is irritating me as a writer comes from the fact that he feels he's got responibilty here. Alright, I can understand wanting to clear things up with Noa, the other Al, and Hughs, but outside of that and the bomb, it's not his responsiblity. The implications also are that the people here used the bomb, or someone saw it and created the Atomic bomb. That in itself makes me kind of ill. It's as if to say that we can't take responsiblity for our own mistakes. Again, comparing it to the ending of Escaflowne, Hitomi never once indicated that the world of Gaea was her responsiblity since she was taken there. In fact the light took her back. Yes I understand Ed's choice, but just what he said at the end leaves a bad taste in my mouth. All the sacrofices that other's made to help him and Al wind up being chucked aside. Yes Al get's his memories back, but there were various other ways that this could have been done.

Ending aside, the plot holes drove me some what batty. To begin with how did Ed meet the other Al? Not even a flash back to touch on that. While I liked Alphonse H, I wasn't as moved as I should have been when he died. Huge missed oppertunity -and I blame the series for this in making Envy a dragon at the end -in exploring Hoho's relationships with his creation. Here you have a good area, now that Ed knows Envy was a) his father's doing and cool.gif technically his brother, one would think he would care what happens to him. We have no idea if Envy was given a fair send off ala Wrath. Also as I remember, it was said several times that the stones had to be used up for them to die. Homunculi are not human, or so we are constantly reminded, so how can they be sacraficed to open the gate? For that matter, did either, Wrath, Gluttony, or Envy use up their stones? And then there's the gate itself. Never mind the fact someone said more then once it's a permente gate, but if the characters were being sent back and forth via a different way, then why did they need the huge gate in the first place? Then their's Roy's sudden depression which is very OOC for him as in the end he seemed happier. And I won't touch on Armstrong and Rose. I agree with The Regal Tigeress the whole trip back in time was a "What were they thinking" moment.

As I said above with Envy and Ed, you had room for a excellent villian here with him. Exploration as to the fact that in that world (our world) Envy would have been pretty much as human and on the same level as Ed. Their relationship could have been explored more, and it would have had a deeper feeling if any exploration or character growth -outside of Ed -could have been shown. But we really didn't get that and FMA to me always seemed to pride itself on growth of characters. By cutting out a lot of the unneeded stuff (a lot of those scenes with the Thule society bored me) and making Envy human or close to it, it could have easily explored the idea of "What really makes us human" as the villian was spewing the fact that she was scared of Ed becuase he was different. Wasn't that what was being said of the Homuculi before?

As for the Villian...she annoyed me. NO personality at all, it took me a while to realize she was the main antagonist. Her actions were just...meh. And her motivations seemed like they were tacked on at the end. It would have been far more interesting if they had used a real person, or at least given her something more then just "I wanted to take over your world." It seemed way out of left feild to me from where the story was going. Why would Hitler even want to go useing Shamballa? It seemed out of place.

For me it left me...sad, yet happy. Mostly I enjoyed the movie. But there are just factors in it that I think could have been made a lot clearer or better and the storywould have become far more interesting. But those are just my two cents.

+Quote Post
Durren the Ice A...
post Sep 26 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #60

Citizen

Member No.: 41,386

i'm angry at 2 things
1. no alternate mustang mad.gif and
2. no alternate kimblee mad.gif

other than that it was kinda good. Oh, and ed's dad had way the hell to much blood than a normal person should have.

--------------------
What ever you do remember the pain - Roy Mustang

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css