HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Your Opinions And Emotions After Watching The Cos Movie?, Let's talk about the FMA movie here! (Spoiler Warning!)
Rating 3 V
How did you feel after watching the movie?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 303
Guests cannot vote 
Claudius
post Sep 9 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #106

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Sep 8 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Seriously, Alfons was entirely pointless. He didn't really do anything till towards the end. Otherwise he had like...5 scenes. >>

The amount of scenes doesn't necessarily matter in a character's importance (Nazi Hughes was shorter, but his characterization came out well).
Why do you think Alfons is entirely pointless? It's his rocket research that moves the plot. His appearance embodies the doppelganger plot point. He also emphasizes Edward's inability to accept the real world. Ed is so wrapped up in trying to find a way home that he ignores just how valuable a friend Alfons is. Not until their farewell does Ed realize Alfons is his own person, and not just some Al replacement.

Claudius
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Sep 9 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #107

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

I'm sorry, it's just that in a series like FMA where even a relatively minor character got some decent character development, he ticks me off.

We don't see any real sort of personality out of him, and we don't really learn much about him till towards the end. For the most part, he's just THERE. And then suddenly he turns out to have a big role to play in this? Uhm, no, I'm sorry, for a character that played such a big role in getting Ed home he got totally gipped. Same thing with Noah. She's with Ed a large portion of the movie yet nothing is really ever learnt about her till the end. She's just there. Eckhart had the potential to be a really interesting character too, but lack of characterization screwed her over.

My real point here is, how can these characters be loved or hated? I don't get it. I wasn't shown enough about them to decide if I like them or not. I think Alfons is overhyped.

This is probably where the movie was most disappointing for me. I thought the series had some excellant characterization. But in the movie, the new characters aren't given any of that, and many of the original characters aren't even given the screen time they deserve. It played like a mediocre fanfic -- it had a potential to be so much better than it was but failed due to 'okay' writing.

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Sep 9 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #108

Apprentice

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Sep 9 2007, 12:58 PM) *
We don't see any real sort of personality out of him, and we don't really learn much about him till towards the end. For the most part, he's just THERE. And then suddenly he turns out to have a big role to play in this? Uhm, no, I'm sorry, for a character that played such a big role in getting Ed home he got totally gipped. Same thing with Noah. She's with Ed a large portion of the movie yet nothing is really ever learnt about her till the end. She's just there. Eckhart had the potential to be a really interesting character too, but lack of characterization screwed her over.

But isn't it at the climax where these points of character exploration usually occur? I mean, we learn a good amount of Hughes and Sloth on their last episodes. Yes, we got a lot of hints of Hughes before episode 25 (we're talking about anime Hughes here), but the same thing holds for Noah, Alfons, and Nazi Hughes. It's at the end when we get the payoff.
Take Alfons for instance. From the beginning we know he has health problems. He cares about Edward (via his disappointment with the latter's disinterest with life), and wants to help him very much. He is very nationalistic, telling Noah about his chagrin on Germany's WWI defeat and his desire to bring the nation back. We get a rather unsavory side of Alfons when he shows no problem working for unsavory people. Why? During his shouting match with Edward, we find out Alfons is terminally ill. He has no choice about helping the Thule Society. So what if their intentions are immoral? Its through those immoral characters that he can achieve some kind of legacy of existence before he dies (Edward hasn't helped matters denying Alfons' existence by whining about his brother). In the end he has achieved some middle ground for his views. By getting Edward back to his world, he has finally helped his friend, and by Ed's gratitude, he has gained a legacy of his existence (and in a darker sense, the Thule Society will use his engines for the good of Germany). I think that's more than being JUST THERE.

This is probably where the movie was most disappointing for me. I thought the series had some excellant characterization. But in the movie, the new characters aren't given any of that, and many of the original characters aren't even given the screen time they deserve. It played like a mediocre fanfic -- it had a potential to be so much better than it was but failed due to 'okay' writing.

I won't disagree that some of the characters got shafted. I understand why Roy is depressed and up North (you have to look at the series and find the clues there), but why does he return to Central, and does he survive the falling wing?

Claudius

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Sep 9 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #109

Lt. General

It still just irks me the wrong way that in comparison to the series characters, the movie characters are poorly characterized. The characterization was my favorite part of FMA. I even felt a one episode character like Psiren or Paninya was better developed than the movie cast. =/

And I still don't get what was so cry-worthy about Alfons' death. I'm a pretty big crybaby for gosh sakes, I cry at any little thing, but that was just like "uhm, okay, so you're dead now? Okay then.... O.o;;"

And I completely agree with you on Roy. I felt he and Winry got the most gipped in this movie (....besides Al). Both deserved so much more for being the well crafted characters they were. I think both deserved real endings and closure.
(...I need to write that fanfic soon where Hughes' ghost visits Roy when he's in his little solitude station and that explains why he goes back to Central...)

--------------------
My icon comm

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Sep 10 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #110

Apprentice

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Sep 9 2007, 07:36 PM) *
And I completely agree with you on Roy. I felt he and Winry got the most gipped in this movie (....besides Al). Both deserved so much more for being the well crafted characters they were. I think both deserved real endings and closure.

Now you think Alphonse also got gipped!?! Geez, I guess we have conflicting views. You see the CoS cast as cardboard; I see plenty of characterization. Let's leave it at that.

(...I need to write that fanfic soon where Hughes' ghost visits Roy when he's in his little solitude station and that explains why he goes back to Central...)

Done the Hughes ghost fic. Visits Roy at his office the night before he assassinates Pride, warns him about taking revenge and asks him to look after Elysia. Roy, of course, blows the advice.
But I am doing my own 'Roy returns to Central' fic; Elysia Hughes figures largely in it.

Claudius

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Sep 11 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #111

Lt. General

It's not that I view them as cardboard, it's just that they pale in comparison to the series cast and I can't get attached to them. Your points did open my eyes a little, however it continues to irritate me that they could've been more. They had so much potential, but the writers I feel didn't use that potential to the fullest. But yes let's leave it at that.

.....but I still don't get how fangirls got so blimey attached to Alfons and cried at his death. =/ (other than he's cute. Shallow fangirls)

And yes, I do think Al got cheated. I can't really explain it, but considering how diminished his role was in the movie compared to that in the series........I mean he still had an important role but it's hard to expalin. I just feel like he got the short end of the stick.

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
Naivete
post Sep 11 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #112

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 43,484

It's not that I view them as cardboard, it's just that they pale in comparison to the series cast and I can't get attached to them. Your points did open my eyes a little, however it continues to irritate me that they could've been more. They had so much potential, but the writers I feel didn't use that potential to the fullest. But yes let's leave it at that.

You've got to consider the point that the producers had a movie time limit to comply with.

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Sep 11 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #113

Lt. General

QUOTE(baKa-neKoh @ Sep 11 2007, 04:29 PM) *
You've got to consider the point that the producers had a movie time limit to comply with.

I do try to keep that in mind BUT...I've seen shorter movies that managed to pull off developing a whole cast to their full potential, including anime ones. The FMA movie was actually longer than I thought it would be in fact. So...I can't put this point into that much consideration. =/

But maybe this is all just me.

--------------------
My icon comm

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Sep 14 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #114

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

All these people are crying that they don't like the movie because the ending was said. Well, let me tell you something. Do you know what seperates a good story from just another "kid's" story? It's when there isn't a "happy" ending.
How many little kids movies have you seen that at the end the main character or someone dies or leaves, only to surprisingly come back. What makes a good ending a good ending is that it reiterates the theme of the story. In this case, Ed finally "paid" off his Equivalent Exchange and got his brother back. The payment? He would never be able to go home again. Yes, it's sad, but it was the most perfect ending I think it could have had.

+Quote Post
Tidusu
post Sep 14 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #115

Citizen

Member No.: 50,958

I thought it was great. Few parts that tears me up. Yeah it's not the perfect ending that you would want but it still a very good ending. Al and Ed are happy to be together again no matter which world they're in, and that's what really counts for them. I love it and sad that there's no more.

--------------------
I'm scared of people. *hides*

+Quote Post
natsu-hime
post Sep 29 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #116

Apprentice

Member No.: 49,217

hmm...lemme remember back in the day when i saw the FMA movie for the very first time...

after i watch it, i stood up and scratch the wall, cursing "DARN IT. THIS SUPPOSED TO BE THE VERY ENDING OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST ANIME, WHY THEY HAVEN'T PUT THE FINAL CONCLUSIONS ABOUT ROIAI?! OK THERE'S ROY AND RIZA AND THEY SHOW HINTS, BUT HELL, UNTIL THE VERY LAST, JUST HINTS?! AAAAAARRRRGHHHHH"

ok it was totally random from a crazy roiai supporter, but heh, i gotta accept it. it's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST movie, not FLAME ALCHEMIST. and like what ookawa toru said at the bonus scenes, watch it over and over again and learn the history too and you'll find it's better. and it did - and i got A+ for WWI history exam. it is a great closing to the adventures of the elric brothers. but from the eyes of the minor characters fans - it sucks because everything about edward and alphonse is clear except the hidden problems that arakawa already put greatly in FMA - like roy and riza's love relationship. this was supposed to be the very end, why they didn't atleast put a clear conclusion about them? did they got married or did he get dumped? but like what i said, it's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. not FLAME ALCHEMIST.

my suggestion is the only way to clear things up without destroying it is by just show like short-after-movie-specials like maybe they can make an official wedding for roy and riza, or show how ed and al destroyed the gate and how did they live in our world - the kids OVA is a good start.

ok i think that's it...

+Quote Post
Hanae Mai
post Oct 13 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #117

Citizen

Member No.: 47,623

I've got Conqueror of Shamballa DVD for my birthday, and only since then I began to like FMA. Why do pple think it's confusing? The ending was nice, sweet enough to satisfy audiences and sad enough to leave a memory in our mind. smile.gif

Moreover, it was Alfons Heiderich that added emotions to the movie. His personality might have been insignificant, but the things he had done wasn't. Noah, too. In real life, sometimes you meet pple that leave you an unforgettable memory although you know them for only a very short time, right? I like the way how they described big things just by small events in the movie. Touchingly deep, and very close to real life indeed.

Oh well. Maybe the movie is too mature for us.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Celeste Nayamash...
post Oct 16 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #118

Alchemists

Member No.: 52,278

I liked the movie very much but I have to agree with Fushigi Rockna; I felt that there just wasn't enough characterization, especially when it comes to Roy and Winry. I didn't see anything wrong with Alfons. I quite liked him a lot and felt he played an important part to the story. Noah? She was nothing but a friggin' Mary Sue to me. The typical woman in danger, man saves woman, woman's magical powers, blah blah blah and that's just my opinion so please don't flame me. I'm disappointed with the ending because I feel that so many things were still left open and unsaid. I'm just curious as to what's happened to the gates as we've never seen them truly destroyed.

My emotions though? Oh my goodness, that ending where Ed uses alchemy to seperate himself, Roy and his brother so they can get safely back down to the earth and he starts to leave, the music and Al's crying out to him just had me nearly in tears and I was thinking "oh hell no you are NOT going to split up the brothers after all this time!" I was happy to see that Al was a sneaky squirt and snuck into that armor at the last minute. I loved it! I was disappointed though with Ed's lack of emotion though. In the anime, he had so much more emotion compared to the movie. That was one thing I loved about him.

Another thing I hated was about Winry. Poor Winry. She was left by her best friends without so much as a goodbye or anything. All kinds of unspoken words between the three were just left hanging in the air and my heart just went out to her. She waited for so long for Ed to come back home, but in the end, I feel she was just completely cheated of it.

So yeah, those are my feelings.

--------------------

My DeviantArt My Fanfiction
Siggy made by me! EdxWin is <3 Avatar made by CeruleanSan <3
"Even when our eyes our closed, there's a whole world out there, that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
Formerly known as WinryRockbell_83

+Quote Post
FullMetal Tigres...
post Oct 16 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #119

Citizen

Member No.: 45,246

[b]the movie was awesome it makes me cry and laugh too bad for winry but at least Edward and Alphonse stay together as they promise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GUNSLINGER
post Oct 18 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #120

Citizen

Member No.: 45,886

me wanna see more of it.. maybe they will come outta tht place..well the movie was exciting.. must say..still me was sad.. wanted them 2 b in their own world.. T_T

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css