HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Japanese Version Vs English Version, Changes in dialogue ?? Omitted/Edited scenes??
Nepharski
post Sep 8 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #31

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,257

Dubbed voices, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to be said for the vernacular. It just depends, as some scenes require different things that VAs on both sides may or may not have.

Per example:
[spoiler]Ed Baylock (Bradley) does such a good job of making Bradley so intimidating and evil. The way he delivers his lines is spot-on, whether it's crazy King Bradley, or cruel King Bradley. However, there's something he misses that the Japanese VA did right; in the last episode, when Bradley chokes Salim, the Japanese VA did Bradley's voice in such a way that he was vindictive, yet regretful of his actions, and that's something I just think Baylock missed, no offense to him[/spoiler]

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Surge
post Sep 9 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 39,342

Sub...

The english voices are just...eurgh

--------------------
Too wide, buddy. Shrink it.

+Quote Post
000_neji
post Sep 9 2006, 06:16 AM
Post #33

Alchemists

Member No.: 40,666

I more like the dubbed version.

--------------------
"I'm Hyuuga Neji and you know It...."
"I refuse to a Battle of Wits with an Unarmed person..."

Our own site...Check it out...

+Quote Post
Lysander
post Sep 9 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 38,824

Dub version for me.

--------------------

Siggy and Avvy made by the amazing Nil-chan!

My Forum Family! Triple_Soul_Alchemist is my master

Click here. Join the fun.

+Quote Post
The Arachnid Alc...
post Sep 11 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 39,952

I prefer the original voices and never watch dubbed anime if I can find a subtitled version.

+Quote Post
Bader
post Sep 11 2006, 07:50 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 40,432

Anime Otaku sleep.gif

I much prefer the Dub version over the japanese version because all the voices, to me, seem to mix and mingle, so if you aren't paying close attention it would get confusing as to who is saying what.

In the dub version I think the dialogue is better and the emotions felt by the characters is more pronounced than in the japanese version. All the voices in the english dub are great, and fit the characters very well.

+Quote Post
honounoraion
post Sep 11 2006, 08:08 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 37,572

Hmm..IMO, I must say that I definitely prefer the original version done by the japanese seiyuus..Seems more authnthic to me..maybe..it's because I watch the japanese one first and then only watched the dubbed version..but..ultimately..I think the japanese version is better.

+Quote Post
Bader
post Sep 11 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #38

Citizen

I guess that's the main difference between hardcore anime watchers and the more casual anime watchers. The hardcore (otaku) seem to really enjoy all anime in japanese, and think the english language dubs are the devil. People who casually watch anime don't appreciate the foreign language version and much rather prefer it in good old fashioned English.

+Quote Post
DantElric
post Sep 11 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,808

QUOTE(kittygirl @ Sep 8 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]443653[/snapback]

Subs!

The English voices...ew. Envy's voice is better subbed.

I couldn't agree more. dry.gif
Especially that part where he and Ed meet at the 5th lab. the words were totally different. I enjoyed the subs better.

--------------------
IPB Image
I actually made this crappy sig with the old paint. o_O

Our cute li'l website
Our cute li'l empty FMA forum
See a pin, pick it up
And all day long you'll have a pin

----a proverb that actually makes sense.

+Quote Post
InsaneFangirl
post Sep 11 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,530

Both are fine with me. I used to be really against the dub, but that changed.

The only thing that bothers me about the dub is when they change the message the creaters were trying to give. For example, when Alphonse was doubting his excistance, he sounded sad, and scared. Unsure.

In the dub, he's childish and angry. "Drink the dumb milk.", "Shut up." That sort of thing.

--------------------

Edo-kun lover! ^_^;;

Fanfic!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2628866/5/

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Sep 12 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

I was only able to watch snippets of Japanese FMA on Youtube. I watched the anime in English, and in my opinion, I think the actors and actresses did a very good job with the voices (especially on Ed, Roy and Maes), and yes, it really depends on who's watching the anime. I've met people who hate the English actors to bits, and I've met people who absolutely adore them - like me. The Japanese and English voice actors both have their own strong and weak points; I for one cannot say that one group is better than the other. I think they're just equal and we all have our own reasons for preferring either or the other.

I can't really say if I like Japanese or English more, because I'll just sound ultimately biased to English because I finished the dubbed series. I'm not much of a hardcore anime fan myself - just a hardcore FMA fan. XD So I don't really care if it's sub or dub, as long as it's pure FMA.

Side note: But because I finished the series in English, I feel more compelled to watch the movie in English as well for uniformity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
honounoraion
post Sep 12 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 37,572

I dont hate the english voice actors..maybe..my ears seem a bit foreign cause I am to used to listening in japanese.But.just running out of topic a wee bit..I did like the Rurouni Kenshin dubbed.Back to FMA...maybe some meanings did deviate from the original..but thats an interpretation....we watch japanese FMA with subs....and sometimes donw by diferent groups..Different people have different way of expressing a sentece.If you want the real original meaning..you must listen to the japanese conversation not by reading the subs.That is what I am trying to achieve now.smile.gif

+Quote Post
DantElric
post Sep 12 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #43

Alchemists

QUOTE(InsaneFangirl @ Sep 11 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]445518[/snapback]

The only thing that bothers me about the dub is when they change the message the creaters were trying to give. For example, when Alphonse was doubting his excistance, he sounded sad, and scared. Unsure.

In the dub, he's childish and angry. "Drink the dumb milk.", "Shut up." That sort of thing.

Ooh totally. When I heard Al in that episode, I literally went scrambling for my brother's CDs to check if that's what Al really said. dry.gif Seriously, Al seems more... harsh (harsher?) in the dubbed version.

--------------------
IPB Image

Our cute li'l website
See a pin, pick it up

+Quote Post
Bader
post Sep 13 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #44

Citizen

QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 12 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]445884[/snapback]

Ooh totally. When I heard Al in that episode, I literally went scrambling for my brother's CDs to check if that's what Al really said. dry.gif Seriously, Al seems more... harsh (harsher?) in the dubbed version.

If I had just found out that everyone was lying to me and that my whole idea of self was artificial, I'd be a bit pissed off myself.

+Quote Post
DantElric
post Sep 13 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #45

Alchemists

QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 13 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]445949[/snapback]

QUOTE(dantelric @ Sep 12 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]445884[/snapback]

If I had just found out that everyone was lying to me and that my whole idea of self was artificial, I'd be a bit pissed off myself.

Yeah, and he was, but harsh words are really not Al's style, if you know what I mean.

--------------------
IPB Image

Our cute li'l website
See a pin, pick it up

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:24 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css