HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Japanese Version Vs English Version, Changes in dialogue ?? Omitted/Edited scenes??
Kukuru
post Jan 30 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,381

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted this topic has been posted before, let me know where and then we can discontinuing using this thread.

Just for interests sake, has anyone noticed any differences between the Jap and English version? I've started to watch it again, but this time in Japanese and I just notice little things that, some for better, so for worse. I also wonder how different the manga is from the anime, but I guess that is a different topic:P

A couple things I picked up:

Ep 25 - Words of Farewell (or at least that's what English dubbed it), I noticed they cut out part of scene - the bit on the train with Al, Ed and Winry, and the boys are explaining they aren't going to see Sensei - they cut out WHY they are going. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, I thought it was amusing:P.

Some of the dialogue changes I think in English were good, like for example back in ep6.
Glacia - *Brings in pot of tea, says something about who wants refills, then collapses on the floor* Honey it's here.
Maes - What the tea?
Glacia - No the baby!
I think English also did this better, because in the Jap Glacia seems to calm about it all tongue.gif

Oh yeah:P Did anyone else notice in Ep 23, when Winry just arrives at Central station that you see Izumi and her husband looking at a sign, probably for times:P I thought that was cool.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ed's numbuh ...
post Feb 2 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 19,705

QUOTE(Kukuru @ Jan 30 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]345076[/snapback]

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted this topic has been posted before, let me know where and then we can discontinuing using this thread.

Just for interests sake, has anyone noticed any differences between the Jap and English version? I've started to watch it again, but this time in Japanese and I just notice little things that, some for better, so for worse. I also wonder how different the manga is from the anime, but I guess that is a different topic:P

A couple things I picked up:

Ep 25 - Words of Farewell (or at least that's what English dubbed it), I noticed they cut out part of scene - the bit on the train with Al, Ed and Winry, and the boys are explaining they aren't going to see Sensei - they cut out WHY they are going. I have no idea why they'd want to do that, I thought it was amusing:P.

Some of the dialogue changes I think in English were good, like for example back in ep6.
Glacia - *Brings in pot of tea, says something about who wants refills, then collapses on the floor* Honey it's here.
Maes - What the tea?
Glacia - No the baby!
I think English also did this better, because in the Jap Glacia seems to calm about it all tongue.gif

Oh yeah:P Did anyone else notice in Ep 23, when Winry just arrives at Central station that you see Izumi and her husband looking at a sign, probably for times:P I thought that was cool.

i know i was really disapointed that they cut out a lot of things out epi 25 =_= and a lot of the diolouge is different... and yeah i noticed Izumi-sensei! that was funny laugh.gif

--------------------

I made my signature, tell me what you think! (Avatar wasn't by me.)
COF banner coming soon.
I Make Signatures!! Go to my sig shop if ya want one ; )
- ~:.:My Lovely Forum Familly:.:~
~Is a proud Risembool Ranger~

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Feb 2 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

Yea...I noticed that too!..I watched it on the DVD and was like WTF!?..When I saw that scene!...It was funny though!...happy.gif

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
varanus
post Feb 3 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 30,594

hmm i noticed it once it was random

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
kenderoth
post Feb 3 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 29,585

i noticed it too it was kinda funny of difrence in dialog.

+Quote Post
Electrastar
post Feb 9 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #6

Alchemists

Member No.: 9,372

I don't think the english version is all that bad. I sometimes try my hand at checking what my favorite japanese lines sound like in english thanks to the wonderful world of dvd, but I have to admit, some adaptations were made in the translation...and I don't really understand it....It's not like the original japanese text has japanese references or anything, so why take the time to change some information in the dialogue is beyond me.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Winkle
post Feb 10 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #7

Apprentice

Member No.: 27,948

They have to tweak the dialogue usually so that the english dialogue can match the japanese-lip-synch without being too off. They try to get the same meaning across by saying it differently but then sometimes it gets interpreted differently too.

It happens. For the most part the english dialogue is fine. I got no problems with it but I still feel the Japanese voices are more natural.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 12 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,040

Are you talking about the English television version? The DVD version has all that stuff from 25 and so forth. It's not the fault of the people doing the dubbing, it's the station that's showing it. I think Anime episodes in Japan usually run around 24 minutes with the extra six minutes devoted to commercials. In America half-hour cartoons are shorter and have more time devoted to commericals. They have to cut part of the episode to add in the commericals. I've also heard that the end credits are really cut down on all the episodes for the same reason. You'll also notice that nearly all blood has been erased, violence has been cut down and usually profanity and nudity (if there was any) is gone. FullMetal Alchemist has little of any of that (even the violence if you compare it to other animes) so there probabaly wasn't a lot to cut out. Anyway, none of that has anything to do with the people who dubbed it. They came up with scripts to get the same meaning across as the Japanese (and did an excellent job of it with FullMetal Alchemist when you compare it to other Animes where the dub and what they actually said are radically different). If you get the DVD, then it's all back where it should be. I refuse to watch Anime on American television for that very reason. I prefer the English dub on the DVD release because Ed is funnier and becuase it's the best English dub I've ever heard for an Anime. Not like Inuyasha where I can't stop laughing every time I hear the English voices. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterKris
post Feb 13 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #9

Brigadier General

Member No.: 8,833

From what I watched, I think the English version is funnier, but the Japanese version has a better voice acting. You need to watch both of the versions often to judge them. The more you watch a version, the more you think that version is better. I'm stil disappointed about the dub (judging from what my expression looks like everytime I hear it) and some of the voice acting has NO emotion to it. And I think the dub version has a disadvantage due to the length of the speeches from the Japanese version and the mouth shape. From what I am saying, the two versions are both good and great. It just depends on what you perfer to hear. The funny dialogue of the dub or the excellent VActing of the Japnese version.

--------------------
HYO!!
Known as the Sadistic Feedbacker. The Wise Spanish Apprentice of *~vachi~*
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Mas...-sensei-sig.png
Siggy & avvy made by me.

Visit My Manhwa/Manga Raws Thread!!

+Quote Post
r315razor
post Feb 13 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 31,132

They did an excellent Job with the english voice acting.

Personaly i think that the English Ed was better then the Japanese one. He just sounds like he looks more...

But i really don't think it matters whats better! As far as i know, if the enlish version can get the main point of the story accross, without cutting and spliceing and looping parts together, and still get such emotional feelings from the show, then you know THIS is a show worth watching!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wilki
post Feb 14 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 31,098

I personally think it depends on the person watching the version. For example some Americans may enjoy the Japanese verison because they feel it's different, and a new change they're more then willing to accept. Or they may prefer the American version as they can understand it better. And visa versa. As to me the art really doesn't change, expect the animations are slightly altered to get the English speech in. Still maybe this may be a bigger deal to others, but honestly I can't see why. Sure the voice actors are very much different, but they work well for whichever version they're for. -shrug- Tell me if I've made a mistake, or something...

--------------------
IPB Image

Wilki:
1. Plural word for 'wolves' in Polish.
2. Popular band in Poland
3. The username for a crazy Polish American, who has Wrath and U2 quotes in her signature image.

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 15 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,040

For me it depends on the Anime. Some, like FMA, have fantastic English voice dubs. Others like Inuyasha just aren't the same if they're not with the original Japanese voice actors. I won't however watch the episodes in either format on American television becuase they shave it down to much to fit in the time slot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
r315razor
post Feb 15 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 31,132

ya, and the show ghost in the shell, OMG the animation for that makes everyone have super runon sentences... its hard to follow that every 1 is saying! lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
kiori
post Feb 18 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 30,581

I agree with Jedi. FMA is definately one of the best dubs out there (closely followed by Cowboy Bebop) and Inuyasha is one of the worst. I like Al's japanese vioce better and Ed's english voice better, but I still think both do a good job in both languages.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 18 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #15

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

For the most I prefer the English.It's some of the changes I don't get.
Example:When Roy is talking about Psiren to Ed
Japnese:I hear she's a real Beaut.
English:I hear she's a real ten.

I assume it's for dubbing reasons but it fel like they're trying to Americanize it to much.IMO.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css