Reply to this topicStart new topic
Question About Archer In Episode 48
kaizenyorii
post Jan 22 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,850

<Editing the thread title from "Question!" and subtitle "About Archer (Spoilers!)" to "Question about Archer in Episode 48" and moving the thread from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum where all episode specific character question threads are being collected currently. 02/23/07 ~Tombow>

[spoiler]im not sure about the chronology of the anime, but doesnt automail surgury take about 3 years of rehab? how long did it take archer to recover from getting half of his body installed with automail?[/spoiler]

This post has been edited by Tombow: Feb 23 2007, 06:50 AM

--------------------

please dont steal my $hit// obey the Crouch
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PainappuruKii
post Jan 22 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 20,946

I don't think it took him very long at all O_o; Now that's scary...
I never really thought about it, but I don't think it was even two months...
That's one of those details we tend to skiip over, methinks XD.

--------------------
[size=2]どうか、どうか
時間を止めて
君の面影をこの胸に

刻んでくれ・・・

+Quote Post
kaizenyorii
post Jan 23 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,850

exactly what i was thinking. if usually people need 3 years to jsut recover from automail surgury on limbs, then how come nobody makes a big deal when archer comes back in such short itme with half of his body automailed. technically he shouldnt even have survived if he lost half his body....his guts woldve jsut spilled out

--------------------

please dont steal my $hit// obey the Crouch

+Quote Post
Martin Easth
post Jan 23 2006, 04:09 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 18,507

It is remarkable that Archer survived, but it is as you say even more remarkable that he recovered from the surgery that fast.
But I dont think that they cared so much about his body they just "replaced" half his body and gave he somesomething for the pain.
I know the it does´nt fully make sense because the body has to addapt to the artifical material before you can use it in a good way.
My only idea is that they performed some kind a "Drive-In Auto-Mail-Surgery".
(a really fast one but obviously the result would be worse than if they had given archer time to get use to it. )

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jan 23 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #5

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I suppose what they are trying to suggest is there is little of him left that is human so he barely needs the time to recover. Well thats my take on it, but then again it may just be a mistake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dream_alchemist
post Jan 23 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 29,772

I'm guessing it's yet another plothole to add to the list.

I was re-watching episode 3 the other day, and noted that Ed completely dunked armor!Al into water.

[spoiler] whatever happened to the whole 'oh no! his blood seal is gonna wash off!' thing? [/spoiler]

--------------------
:: ANIME ADDICT ::

:: MANGAWHORE ::

~~NEPHTHYS, A.K.A THE DREAM ALCHEMIST

+Quote Post
The Great Aspara...
post Jan 27 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #7

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,454

urghhh that loser frank archer shoulda died (kimblee shoulda died too) but they're victims survived wonderfully, so that's alright. i suppose it's just one of those things with anime, slap some lovely stuff together and hope it works out alright. (and then all us obsessed fans go and dig out the mistakes XP) No offense to the fma anime though, cuz regardless of some weirdness here and there, it's awesome!! XD

yeah that whole thing with the water has been mused over too (in other threads) heheh... maybe it's because the water wasn't deep, and pond water does not have the ability to splash up, unlike river water. (lol as if that makes a difference)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Alchemic Boom
post Jan 27 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Apprentice

Member No.: 30,103

Eh, I haven't personally seen all the episodes with "Fullmetal Archer" but from what I've heard things were getting a bit silly around there, so I guess it's not that surprising he had lightspeed recovery time. Or actually any recovery time for that matter. I guess we can say he's quite the trooper even after succumbing and surviving all that blood loss. But I still can not come up with any bit of logical explanation for how Archer's hair stayed fine and pretty during the whole ordeal.

As for Al...maybe the river's current could rub off the blood seal? That or the more reasonable thing is that the creators just forgot that Al's been pretty much submerged in his armor before.

You know what? Archer's end is pretty dang sad, the man's lived through much worse really. [spoiler] A couple of bullets? Oh yeah I mean that can kill someone but Archer lost half his body and got hit by a grenade. Oh and can't forget the automail surgery. You'd think by then a few bullets would just make him flinch after all that.[/spoiler]

--------------------
Tis merely a flesh wound. We wait for the return of the Archinator.

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Jan 28 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

I'm going to assume that as this is the military, they've talken precausions for such cases. They probably have whole warehouses where they keep auto-mail parts. Bring in some half-eaten guy, "This is Col. Archer. He's arm lenght is blah blah, his height blah blah," and then they fish out the exact parts and strap them on. Not custom made, like Ed or Paninya had. Just a rush job, with some painkillers to get the man back out into the feild. Something was aparently botched, however, as Archer clearly goes mad.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Medici
post Feb 26 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,656

Actually if you look really close, you can see that the hair on the metal side of his head is alot darker than the rest of it. Like he's wearing half of a bad toupe. And yeah, he got character-sheild'd really bad. A few bullets killed a person who took a grenade and getting half his body lopped off. That's ridiculous.

Another interesting thing(That I noticed at 6 o'clock last night after re-watching the episode out of boredom) Being half-human, he'd still need to eat, right? But look at which side got blown off. That's the side that has the heart and stomach on it. How the heck would somebody with no stomach, a missing lung, a fair amount of missing intestines, a missing kidney, maybe missing half a bladder or so, and insane amount amounts of blood loss and no heart survive? Not to mention that a quarter or so of his brain's gone. And what powers the automail? Do they leave him on a charger over the weekend? Does The Fuhrer just come in on Friday at closing time and plug him in? Even if he still had his stomach, he couldn't eat anything because of that ridiculous gun-tongue. Am I the only one who's scared of that? And how does that half-uniform thing stay on? I mean really, just because he's a semi-important character doesn't mean he gets to ignore the laws of physics.

...Sorry about just going off like that. I just oticed this and it kinda annoyed me.

And count me in for the Archery Club, yo.

--------------------
If you don't like the news, go out and make some.
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kraven Hughes
post Feb 26 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 31,942

Archer should have died, he was nothing more than a rank wanting, egotistic man who would do anything to get to General. It still would have taken a while for auto-mail like that to be built for him, then installed, and atleast 2-3 weeks for him to recover from the nerve connection to the auto-mail.

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Feb 26 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #12

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

What Nepharski said.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Colette
post Feb 26 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #13

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

Yeah, just another screwed up thing about the ending...

But doesn't this mean that's Archer's super-human?

Just saying, since all you people are bashing him tongue.gif

(Not that I like Archer. He indirectly hurt poor Greed)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kraven Hughes
post Feb 26 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 31,942

Sooner or later Archer is going to go down for good, and that will be the day for drinks all around biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Feb 26 2006, 02:42 PM
Post #15

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(dream_alchemist @ Jan 23 2006, 07:13 PM) [snapback]341840[/snapback]

I'm guessing it's yet another plothole to add to the list.

I was re-watching episode 3 the other day, and noted that Ed completely dunked armor!Al into water.

[spoiler] whatever happened to the whole 'oh no! his blood seal is gonna wash off!' thing? [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I assume it would take a while for enough water to leak into Al enough to reach his seal.Even then there's no garantee the water would remove dry blood if he got out quick enough.

As for Archer,where does it say 3 years recovery?I assume it's in the manga because I don't recall it from the anime.Besides Auto-Archer is plainly lacking in the ol' sanity department so I doubt he feels anything atall.[/spoiler]

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 10:09 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css