Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do You Want To Have Kids Someday?
Molecular Alchem...
post Aug 12 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #151

Brigadier General

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,926

I think that i would like to have kids...someday waaaaay down the line. I think that one girl would be enough...then i can teach her everything I know about science and history and then she will be the most brilliant girl in her class happy.gif of course, i would do the same for a boy too Two kids would be fine too, but then that would start cutting into my career, and right now that is not an option....I have to wait until I find a guy that has lots of money, but even then I refuse to quit my job. *I just realized im having a conversation with myself..time to stop* laugh.gif

--------------------

Proud Member of the Anti-Shou Movement
Honorable Vice-Captain of the Anti-Inoue Squad
BLEACH FANS UNITE!!!--new manga-based arc starts at epi 109!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Aug 12 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #152

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Aug 12 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]431792[/snapback]

...then i can teach her everything I know about science and history and then she will be the most brilliant girl in her class happy.gif

Trust me, when you have kids, everything you know about science and history will either change dramatically or the method of instruction will change dramatically. You'll either be way over their head (everything is so dumbed down now) or you'll be a textbook edition behind laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
asunder
post Aug 12 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #153

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

QUOTE(arche @ Aug 12 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]431796[/snapback]

Trust me, when you have kids, everything you know about science and history will either change dramatically or the method of instruction will change dramatically. You'll either be way over their head (everything is so dumbed down now) or you'll be a textbook edition behind laugh.gif

haha that's an interesting take on it. I'm not sure about history, but there a lot of empirical topics in the basic sciences that won't change in the next 15 years. If you made the time frame...50 years in the future, I'd agree with you. I would teach my kid everything there is to know about math, comics, cartoons. Also add in some computer, engineering and medical knowledge when they are ready for it. :3

Of course if you as a parent have undertaken the job as a perpetual student (read slacker) , then any new changes shouldn't be that unexpected/unfamiliar.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Aug 12 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #154

I can say that many points in text books have changed in my life time.

History is funny. It all depends on which technique is in vogue at the time the books are written.

I just want to teach my daughter about the underlying meta analysis used in all her texts. She'll be the one in class talking about the different biases the lessons have laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Aug 12 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #155

Brigadier General

Member No.: 24,926

QUOTE(arche @ Aug 12 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]431796[/snapback]

Haha, I'm gonna go with the "way over their head" for 200, Alex..lol. Yeah, its really sad that when kids read out of text books, they are pretty much getting old data...which is why my kids will be learning about what i read from journals....MWAHAHAHAHA!!!! (granted half the time i dont understand what some of it means, but the kids dont need to know that) laugh.gif And you are right, Asu...the basics shouldnt change, so i would be safe teaching them that. cool.gif

Oh, they would be well-versed in anime as well...gotta get their eccentricities started early, so that they can be just like their mother happy.gif

--------------------

Proud Member of the Anti-Shou Movement
Honorable Vice-Captain of the Anti-Inoue Squad
BLEACH FANS UNITE!!!--new manga-based arc starts at epi 109!

+Quote Post
PUKE
post Aug 12 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #156

Alchemists

Member No.: 29,713

I'm not so sure myself.

Children can be a pain in the ass but they are there for company and make you feel special. <3

--------------------
[:.Links.:]

DeviantART
[visit and critique my gallery! :D]
Encyclopedia Dramatica
[an awesome site that you should visit for the lulz. Warning: not for pansies.]

Believe it!!!

"Ich durfte keine Nippel lecken
und keine Falte zum Verstecken
niemand gab mir einen Namen
gezeugt in Hast und ohne Samen

Der Mutter die mich nie geboren
hab ich heute Nacht geschworen
ich werd ihr eine Krankheit schenken
und sie danach im Fluss versenken"
- Rammstein (Mutter)

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Aug 12 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #157

QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Aug 12 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]431804[/snapback]

Haha, I'm gonna go with the "way over their head" for 200, Alex..lol.

I'm already way over my daughters head, but I'm not talking with her about facts, but rather about critical thinking in general laugh.gif

QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Aug 12 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]431804[/snapback]

Yeah, its really sad that when kids read out of text books, they are pretty much getting old data...which is why my kids will be learning about what i read from journals....MWAHAHAHAHA!!!! (granted half the time i dont understand what some of it means, but the kids dont need to know that) laugh.gif And you are right, Asu...the basics shouldnt change, so i would be safe teaching them that. cool.gif

The difficulty will be with the education methods in school versus what you're used to. Over the past 10-15 years (yes, I've been out of secondary school for 10-15 years tongue.gif), education style has not stood still and changed a lot. The data may be the same for sciences, but presentation and interpretation make a huge difference. Standardized tests are making things even worse because there is less need to learn anything more than what will be on that graduation exam sad.gif.

Anyway, learning how to find and analyze facts is far more important for a child to learn than the facts themselves. I found those that had a hard time transitioning to graduate school from undergrad in the humanitites fields found it hard because they were too used to being fact oriented rather than analysis oriented.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Aug 12 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #158

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

Yes, I would very much like to have children, not in the next ten years tho. I dunno it depends. It all depends on who I meet and at what time I meet him and how our relationship is.

I want both a son and a daughter, but I'd think I'd also like to have more sons. It all depends on the circumstances however. For all I know I could end up like my grandmother on my dad's side, who had four sons when what she really wanted was a daughetr (which explains why me and my adorable cousin got so spoiled by our grandparents). I could end up like my grandmother on my mom's side, who had nothing but daughters when she really wanted a son. Or I could end up like my own parents, who wanted both a boy and girl and got what they wanted.

I just hope that if I have sons and daughters, my sons will look after their sisters. Heck, I hope they would look after each other, but girls will still have difficulties in the future.

And I'm only willing to have up to four kids (unless I end up with some twins, triplets, sixtuplets or something, dear god not sixtuplets O_o).

Btw, I remember getting angry when we would play the board game, LIFE, and whenever I played it was very, VERY rare for me to get chidlren. XDDD;;; (i would often never land on a child space D: Not even adoption =() ack, I hope that's not a sign. XDD

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Aug 12 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #159

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Here's another one:

Do you think Dr. House is right? Do your partner's genetics really matter when you want to have a child? I personally don't know how I could handle having an ugly kid to watch over for 18+ years. Last thing I ever want is to be responsible for maintaining someone else's self-esteem... lord knows, I have enough trouble maintaining mine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Revolutionary Al...
post Aug 12 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #160

Citizen

Member No.: 39,649

Not really. I'm not sure why though. I don't even want to get married for that matter. But, I guess it doesn't matter now. Look at my mom. She said the same exact thing, and she ended up married with four kids. I guess you just can't tell right away at my age...

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

---~---~---Never give up without a fight---~---~---

+Quote Post
PUKE
post Aug 16 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #161

Alchemists

Member No.: 29,713

QUOTE(Void @ Aug 12 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]432126[/snapback]

Here's another one:

Do you think Dr. House is right? Do your partner's genetics really matter when you want to have a child? I personally don't know how I could handle having an ugly kid to watch over for 18+ years. Last thing I ever want is to be responsible for maintaining someone else's self-esteem... lord knows, I have enough trouble maintaining mine.

Adopt?

As for me, I would consider adopting one of these "ugly" children you speak of. Especially when there are so many people who are reluctant to care for them simply because of how they were born. I have a low self-esteem but raising somebody else's spirits actually deprives me from my depression.

--------------------
[:.Links.:]

DeviantART
[visit and critique my gallery! :D]
Encyclopedia Dramatica
[an awesome site that you should visit for the lulz. Warning: not for pansies.]

Believe it!!!

"Ich durfte keine Nippel lecken
und keine Falte zum Verstecken
niemand gab mir einen Namen
gezeugt in Hast und ohne Samen

Der Mutter die mich nie geboren
hab ich heute Nacht geschworen
ich werd ihr eine Krankheit schenken
und sie danach im Fluss versenken"
- Rammstein (Mutter)

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Aug 17 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #162

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

In lots of cases, physical attractiveness comes as a result of lifestyle. More often than not, if you raise your kids healthy, it's unlikely that they'll turn out to be eyesores.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quiddityofquid
post Aug 17 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #163

Apprentice

Member No.: 22,739

It's not just attractiveness thats a problem with genetics. Genetic diseases are a big problem too. I wouldn't want to have my own kids only because of the fact that they'd be practically guarenteed to have at least one really terrible chronic illness.

+Quote Post
asunder
post Aug 17 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #164

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

QUOTE(quiddityofquid @ Aug 17 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]433909[/snapback]

It's not just attractiveness thats a problem with genetics. Genetic diseases are a big problem too. I wouldn't want to have my own kids only because of the fact that they'd be practically guarenteed to have at least one really terrible chronic illness.

do you personally have genetic/congenital diseases?

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
quiddityofquid
post Aug 17 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #165

Apprentice

Member No.: 22,739

Yes, but I got off lucky, my sister is the one that seriously has problems due to them. I wouldn't want to have a kid to have them go through what she does.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 01:51 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css