HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ed And Roy's Relationship: The Conclusion
ERR
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 188
Guests cannot vote 
Mudkipblader
post Jan 28 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #61

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,534

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 27 2005, 09:36 PM) [snapback]334191[/snapback]
Okay... I *have* to link it. It's insuffrably cute.

Gumpa! (*Dies*)

*Dies again from the dadsy cuteness*

-O-
I can't see the first cuteness. -SO badly wants to see it-
The second one is cute too. =D

On topic: I think Roy and Ed's relationship is based on mutual respect.

Roy, thinking that Ed was younger and much less experienced then him, thought Ed was like an annoying fly or something, and showed that. Although in his deeper self, Roy realised that in order to let the Elric brother achieve their goal they needed support. If he didn't care for the brothers at all, he wouldn't have told Al to stop the State Alchemist Exam. When Nina died, Roy was the one who brought Ed back to his senses.
In my oppinion Roy cares for Ed, in a father/friend way. -like everyone else has already mentioned-

Ed, in turn, thinks Roy is just keeping him from achieving his dream. Roy needs to know everything he does, says, where he goes, etc.
Ed doesn't care for/ respect Roy at al in the begining of the series. But after he gets to know the colonel better, some kind of respect grows inside him. Just one question: Did Ed got to know the real reason Roy wanted to become fuhrer? If so, I guess that gave Ed the Idea, Roy's mind was kinda following his, so he could trust Mustang in some way.

--------------------

Please check out my art :My devart account
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astria
post Jan 28 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #62

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,515

Roy and Ed? Alright, I try to keep this brief.

'TWU LUV' is fanon and the realm of fanfic. And unimaginative ones at that. I get bored of the supposed 'cuteness' of these two, especially when it involves an effeminate!Ed. But then, I find these characters appealing for their darker attributes anyway, not fangirlish tacked-on cutsiness.

Fatherly - it makes sense. Roy does genuinely care about Ed (& Al too). And Ed genuinely dislikes seeing Roy as a father figure, and ends up reacting like a rebellious teenage son anyway.

Hatred - nope, we've seen how Ed reacts to people he hates, and if that were the case with Roy, he would never have had that final talk with him before he went off to face Dante. It makes sense that they didn't end on the best terms, as Roy was a little naive to assume that Ed would trust him. Similarly, Ed was a bit arrogant and selfish not to think that maybe, just maybe, the man who gave him a reason to become a State Alchemist in the first place might actually be looking out for him. And his actions led to him accidentally injuring two of Roy's men - some which Ed was *not* expecting to happen.

Ed does care - meh, to an extent, I think. I think he has a grudging respect for Roy and what he is attempting to do. I think he would - in a pinch - stand by the man, but not if it conflicted too much with his own goals (if Al was in danger, Ed would naturally think of him first). I think in this regard Roy and Ed are very similar.

Playful animosity - Its definitely there. Ed doesn't regard Roy as his superior, and Roy plays off the childlike aspects of Ed's personality. They're great fun to watch in a fight, verbal or otherwise. However, *if* it came down to a situation where they had to fight one another, I think all this would be set aside. I also think Roy would be quicker off the mark in a fight then Ed, but that's a different subject.

+Quote Post
Arthur-F.Metal4l...
post Feb 25 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #63

Apprentice

Member No.: 44,836

ofcourse Ed cares ,Roy helped him so much and Roy is da reason Ed and Al togheter at last

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
RadicalAl
post Feb 28 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #64

Citizen

Member No.: 45,102

Ahh, good. I was worried that it was more than a friend kind of thing, because of some of the stuff people have said. So in the series, it llooked to me like they are just friends, and Roy seems to be more of a Big Brother/ Father kind of role. I personally think it would be odd if it was anything more than that.

--------------------
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
The New Fullmeta...
post Feb 28 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #65

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

From: A little place called love... or my head... whichever...
Member No.: 35,074

I don't believe that Ed and Roy having a relationship is at all probable or likely, but I will admit it makes for some good fanfiction! laugh.gif

I do believe, though, that while Roy tried to act only as a superior to Ed, he quickly came to realize the boys' lack of a proper care-giver, and was determined to take on a sort of guardian/fatherly role for them - he may not even have meant to, but it was quite heart-warming throughout the series when you noticed it. smile.gif It makes me love Roy all the more...

--------------------

awesome sig and avvy made w/ love by Nil-chan! Yaay! I'm your biggest fan! ^^
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by
drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

"Chicken Soup for the Royai Soul" - a ff.net C2 by FM-A.com people!

My fan-fiction, including the infamous Royai-themed "Adventures" series! :D

+Quote Post
Alchemical
post Apr 10 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #66

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 44,852

Well, I absolutely love Parental!RoyEd. And the only way I like the yaoi counterpart is if it R/R/E (Roy/Riza/Ed) (Lolz, everybody probably hates me now laugh.gif )

+Quote Post
Chiisana
post Apr 11 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 42,646

Parental!RoyEd sounds very cute to me ohmy.gif Roy cares for Ed, but it's not 'love' xP I like the idea of Roy taking care of Ed as Ed is his 'brother' or something. Someone he must take care, and lead him to the right way. Just not yaoi-love happy.gif;

--------------------
|| =deviantArt= || =LiveJournal= ||

+Quote Post
ehxhfdl14
post Apr 11 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #68

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 45,709

I think they really have the father/brother thing going on...
By the way, Toby-chan's gumpa pic 1&2 are soooo cute!!

--------------------
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
-Walt Kelly, Pogo

+Quote Post
Chiisana
post Apr 11 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 42,646

Yah, the second one was adorable! >w<

--------------------
|| =deviantArt= || =LiveJournal= ||

+Quote Post
shugrrl
post Apr 12 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #70

Citizen

Member No.: 45,798

what does gumpa mean?
and roy is practically ed's dad i think

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Jun 29 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #71

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

First off, I think Roy and Ed are like father and son (especially since Hohenheim left the boys, and [spoiler]Hughes, another father figure for the Elrics, was killed[/spoiler]). Plus, even though I tolerate any pairing you toss at me, I'm not exactly a big shounen-ai/yaoi fan...and I support Royai and Edwin. XD

Hmmm...when Ed first meets Roy (face to face, not just unconscious while Roy tells Pinako and Winry about recruiting the Elrics into the military), Ed is intimidated and annoyed by how Roy pulled the strings in episode 5 (or chapter 4) so he could let him take the alchemy exam. Of course, Roy probably expected this kind of reaction from Ed, as he is, after all, a kid. But hey, this is also the first time Ed expressed his admiration for Roy (at least, in the anime):

"That flame! That's awesome!" - Ed (episode 5, dubbed)

Roy also manipulates the situation by telling Al to drop out from the alchemy exam, because the upper brass might find out about their failed attempt at human transmutation (which Roy has kept a secret), which shows that he cares about the brothers and their reputation, and their motives for becoming State Alchemists...and of course, if they found out their secret, Roy would also be caught in the fray and questioned as well. He also expresses his admiration for Ed in turn when Ed shows that he can perform alchemy without a circle, near the end of episode 6.

Once again, Roy shows his concern at the beginning of episode 8, [spoiler]when Ed was trying to bring back Nina. Roy pulled Ed's hand away and told him that attempting to resurrect anyone (or anything) that dies on him is impossible and unhealthy. He was harsh, true, but he meant well.[/spoiler] Like a father telling his son off, or a big brother chiding his younger brother, at least in my opinion.

Fast-forward to episode 13. In the battle assessment, Roy doesn't take it easy on Ed - after all, he is also a skilled alchemist, but before that, Roy had his doubts about the Fuhrer letting him go against a kid like Ed and in a way, was trying to protect Ed. After all, Roy knows just how wild and powerful his alchemy can get, and that anyone close enough can get hurt. And in the end, they have a heart-to-heart talk, and Roy gives Ed some information he could use to reach his goal.

Basically, throughout the series, Roy constantly worries about Ed and Al - more about Ed, because he's the State Alchemist between the two of them and is also under his command - and truly, according to Riza in episode 25, Roy tends to lose his cool when the Elrics are involved in something, which was why Hughes never told him about Lab 5 and everything around it. Roy also reminds the two of them (but usually Ed) that they're still children despite the adult-sized burdens they have, and that they should learn how to trust adults (especially him - episode 43).

Episode 48 is a turning point for Ed and Roy's relationship, for reasons already mentioned. Roy finally accepts that Ed is really growing up, and Ed accepts that Roy does have valid, unselfish reasons behind everything he does. Their relationship blossoms from that of a father and son, or even two rivals outdoing each other, to something more like two brothers, or better yet, two comrades, especially as they see just how much they have in common.

However, in the manga, Ed and Roy are seen together less, at least, in proportion to the anime. There, they do work together, but are often pushed to do so, instead of spontaneously teaming up, so we have yet to see how their relationship turns out in the manga, whether we'll have a scene reminiscent of episode 48 or not.

And in the movie...[spoiler]Roy still worries about Ed, but believes he's still alive. This shows that he's now more confident in Ed, and when he let him go, it was like the final, binding piece of proof that Roy was once a fatherly figure to Ed, but now he's really letting his "son" fly away and do things on his own, even restraining Al when he tried to follow his older brother. Basically, like what everyone said before.

Still, when it turned out that he wasn't worrying about Riza...aw, man, I bet he worries about her too. *snerk* He just didn't want to say it. Yeah. Denial. XDDDDD *shot* Yes, yes, I know, this is my Royai supporter side showing.[/spoiler]

I usually end up writing things like these when I have homework, and early in the morning. XD Dangit, I ramble.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chibi_Girl29
post Aug 9 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #72

Apprentice

Member No.: 44,004

I'll go with: Ed cares for him, just doesn't show it.
But it's not like: OMG I LUV YOU ROY He doesn't show his felling until... i forgot... episode 48-51 i think...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ehxhfdl14
post Aug 12 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #73

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 45,709

*cough* Wow, that's a lot of info, Amethyst...but really, father/son relationship seems more likely. I like the interaction between Roy and Ed in the manga better, though. There's this level of mutual trust and respect going on in the background. Ed kind of came off more as an ungrateful brat in the anime most of the time =_=;; That's...just what I thought. Don't kill me!

--------------------
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
-Walt Kelly, Pogo

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Oct 12 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #74

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

Of course their best friends. Good friends are always intense rivals who act like complete jackasses to each other every time they meet.

+Quote Post
Guest_Tuckersux_*
post Oct 13 2007, 06:40 AM
Post #75

Guests

I think it's parental. I'm a huge fan of it, and to me it';s pretty cannon. I don't really like RoyEd that might have something to do with it.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 09:13 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css