HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ed And Roy's Relationship: The Conclusion
ERR
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 188
Guests cannot vote 
vfdj42
post Nov 30 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Validating
Member No.: 25,992

How do you think Ed's relationship with Roy reads out at the end of the series? (Even at the end of the series, there's stuff left to interpret; I don't know what, exactly, happens between them in the movie)
I don't think Ed really hates Roy, but I don't think it's the "omg i luv u lets cuddle" type love or that Ed would consider Roy a father-figure--a scenerio a lot of fanfic writers seem to support. I'd like to think Ed matures enough to appreciate Roy, but their external attitudes torwards each other wouldn't change.
Taking aside what Happens at the end of the series (the big, life changing things,) and looking only at the characters, fics where Ed and Roy get married, have children, it's impossible without a hell of a lot of explaining, character development, etc. Even a "Ed's just hiding his real feelings throughout the entire series" card isn't really plausible in such fics where Ed is shamelessly snogging Roy in public. OOC, any way you slice it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kokoro_shadow_an...
post Nov 30 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,554

QUOTE(vfdj42 @ Nov 30 2005, 07:34 PM) [snapback]322255[/snapback]

How do you think Ed's relationship with Roy reads out at the end of the series? (Even at the end of the series, there's stuff left to interpret; I don't know what, exactly, happens between them in the movie)
I don't think Ed really hates Roy, but I don't think it's the "omg i luv u lets cuddle" type love or that Ed would consider Roy a father-figure--a scenerio a lot of fanfic writers seem to support. I'd like to think Ed matures enough to appreciate Roy, but their external attitudes torwards each other wouldn't change.
Taking aside what Happens at the end of the series (the big, life changing things,) and looking only at the characters, fics where Ed and Roy get married, have children, it's impossible without a hell of a lot of explaining, character development, etc. Even a "Ed's just hiding his real feelings throughout the entire series" card isn't really plausible in such fics where Ed is shamelessly snogging Roy in public. OOC, any way you slice it.

amen...

plus, let's take into account the fact that roy is 29 and ed is 15...that's a 14 year age difference...married and have kids? i don't think so...

its definitely the father/son relationship type...ed never really had much of a father figure in his life since hohenheim left the family when he was so young...then he grew up with winry and pinako then later trained with izumi...

roy mustang's definitely their "military father"...he does care about ed...he didn't want to tell ed about hughs' death for the reasons parents tell us "your hamster went to summer camp"...okay so ed doesn't seem to get along with him very well...tell me this: how many of you get along perfectly well with your parents? plus, whenever ed needed a push or nudge, wasn't mustang always there to give it to him (if not winry)?

now as for the movie....
[spoiler]
roy was all emo because he was afraid that ed might be dead, yet he still believed he was alive somewhere out there. even his ex-subordinates figured he was waiting for ed...and not for riza (royai fans like me are now disappointed)... and when al left to join his brother, mustang seemed to let him go without a fight...what does that have to do with ed? he was a father to both of the brothers...i guess he just wanted to see them fly out of the nest for himself.
[/spoiler]

hehe...i could tell the whole time roy cared for ed even through all the teasing...i just knew it was the parental kind...and if you want proof of that, read the manga because its more evident there...

+Quote Post
vfdj42
post Dec 1 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #3

Apprentice

Group: Validating
Member No.: 25,992

Episode 43 provides massive evidence of Roy's protectiveness. Roy's feeling is sort of obvious (apparently not to Ed, who always insists Roy's just a bastard.) I think their relationship is part father-son, part brotherly.

Thanks for your comments, kokoro.

+Quote Post
Full Metal Elf
post Dec 1 2005, 11:02 AM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 23,332

Haha...I love their relationship...it's so funny. They act like they hate each other, but it's so true that Roy sees them like sons, especially at the end of the series.

Episode 48...

[spoiler]I LOVE this episode, and the last 5 minutes are so sad, but so wonderful between Ed and Roy. It's sad when they say farewell to each other at the last moment, but it's also nice *sob*. [/spoiler]

--------------------

Proud member of the Anti-Shou movment....
Staff Member of M.S.A (Miniskirt Army)

+Quote Post
The Great Aspara...
post Dec 1 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,454

omg. just before i actually voted i was debating with myself whether i should put "playful animosity" or "cares about him but doesn't show it" and then i picked one, and then after that i realized that i forgot which one i picked. sleep.gif

playful animosity because it's PLAYFUL and ed still acts like he despises him, which could also be like caring but not showing it... cuz i suppose in the end, ed does care about mustang some bit after all their fun life-threatening experiences throughout the manga and the anime, and mustang was pretty helpful. they just tease eachother terribly, but it's in a sweet way. happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Colette
post Dec 11 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #6

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

I believe Ed likes him in a comepletely straight way, and Roy likes Ed the same. Maybe a brotherly type thing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sleeping Forest
post Dec 11 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Alchemists

Member No.: 27,324

QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Dec 11 2005, 11:59 AM) [snapback]328001[/snapback]

I believe Ed likes him in a comepletely straight way, and Roy likes Ed the same. Maybe a brotherly type thing?

totally agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Dec 11 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #8

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Roy loves Ed. As a person. Period.

Ed sees a little of that, and is still annoyed by the protective limits Roy puts on him.

There's still mutual love/respect between them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Dec 11 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #9

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

Common you guys know it's all about the buttsecks! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Dec 12 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #10

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Envy @ Dec 12 2005, 12:16 AM) [snapback]328410[/snapback]

Common you guys know it's all about the buttsecks! tongue.gif

laugh.gif Leave that kind of conclusion to Mini. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lily Chang
post Dec 16 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #11

Citizen

Member No.: 27,851

I think the 2nd choice is more of "the other way around". ^^"

I think Ed and Roy's reelationship is just between management and labor. ^^"

Or is it? o_O

--------------------
Meow~

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Dec 17 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #12

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Somewhat pertaining to this thread, I had a random thought about the train of relationships and love going on in the show. Alphonse loves and protects anyone he can; namely those who are too weak to care for themselves. Edward loves and Protects Alphonse with his life and all of his waking energy. Roy loves and protects Edward through the facade of officiality. Hawkeye loves and protects Roy with her loyalty and grounding constant presence. Hawkeye stands at the top of the love chain.

Then, of course there are all sorts of little spiderweb connections within the 'love chain'. Hughes loves and protects both Roy and The Elric brothers, and he is loved and supported by his family. Izumi loves and protects the elrics as well, and visa versa. Pinako and Winry care for the Elrics and anyone who needs their help. Edward often leaves behind some legacy of tough love for those he believes are hurting as he has been hurt, such as Rose. Martel loves and protects Alphonse, and visa versa, and exists to do so because Greed loves(d) and protects(ed) the chimarae on some level. Scar hates most people, but protects the weak, including people like Rose and Alphonse because he can relate to them. He was loved and protected by his brother.
There's just a whole lot of love and strength pulsing through the relationships in FMA and that's why I love it. smile.gif

(/totally pointless rambling)

--------------------

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Dec 17 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

QUOTE(Lily Chang @ Dec 16 2005, 10:35 PM) [snapback]330392[/snapback]

I think the 2nd choice is more of "the other way around". ^^"

I think Ed and Roy's reelationship is just between management and labor. ^^"

Or is it? o_O

agree that it should be more like the other way around for the second choice...

and also agreed that Ed (and maybe Al too) and Roy are only parental/brotherly.

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Dec 17 2005, 11:44 AM) [snapback]330593[/snapback]

Somewhat pertaining to this thread, I had a random thought about the train of relationships and love going on in the show. Alphonse loves and protects anyone he can; namely those who are too weak to care for themselves. Edward loves and Protects Alphonse with his life and all of his waking energy. Roy loves and protects Edward through the facade of officiality. Hawkeye loves and protects Roy with her loyalty and grounding constant presence. Hawkeye stands at the top of the love chain.

Then, of course there are all sorts of little spiderweb connections within the 'love chain'. Hughes loves and protects both Roy and The Elric brothers, and he is loved and supported by his family. Izumi loves and protects the elrics as well, and visa versa. Pinako and Winry care for the Elrics and anyone who needs their help. Edward often leaves behind some legacy of tough love for those he believes are hurting as he has been hurt, such as Rose. Martel loves and protects Alphonse, and visa versa, and exists to do so because Greed loves(d) and protects(ed) the chimarae on some level. Scar hates most people, but protects the weak, including people like Rose and Alphonse because he can relate to them. He was loved and protected by his brother.
There's just a whole lot of love and strength pulsing through the relationships in FMA and that's why I love it. smile.gif

(/totally pointless rambling)

lmao XD You made my day.

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Dec 17 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #14

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Dec 17 2005, 09:40 PM) [snapback]330794[/snapback]
lmao XD You made my day.

Wait, does that insinuate that my theories are laughable? *Emos in the corner*

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumflip
post Dec 18 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 6,633

Ed doesn't hate roy. He cares about roy, but just doesn't show it lol. They're guys what do you expect?

--------------------
user posted image
Life is but a dream...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 11:47 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css