Reply to this topicStart new topic
Suicide, What are your thoughts?
Chiyo
post Dec 1 2006, 05:21 AM
Post #256

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

But if you were unaware they were going to kill themselves what coukld you do? People don't generally tell people they are going to go jump off a cliff....mainly because they are either attention seeking and don't plan to die OR they will be stopped

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mercy_Alchemist9...
post Dec 1 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #257

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,008

Well you said "...Let them get on with it." meaning you would had to know they were going to kill themselves... I was only replying to what I understood.

I know you can't do much when they don't tell anyone of the acts they are going to do. But I was just saying if you knew then you could try to talk them out of it...

(I don't know why, but this post sounds mean.. Sorry if it is. ^^; )

--------------------
We interrupt this signature for an important question:

If it is not approved allowed to post on a thread that has long since died been "resting" for a while, and each member is allowed to open only one his/her own "art collection" thread for posting his/her artwork in fanart forum, then does that mean I can not post my artworks again on my old art thread?
(No, I'm not looking for "Post it in 'The Beauty of Your own Artwork'" as an answer, thank you!)

<Answer: Yes, of course!! Hope to see many more of your artworks!! :) ~ Board Staff>

Off to Michigan! Be back soon!

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Dec 2 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #258

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I said let them get on with it as a general refference to people who commit suicide...for what do I care what they do? BUT if it was someone I knew THEN it would affect me greatly...just as nearly anyone who commits suicide will affect someone else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
000_neji
post Dec 16 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #259

Alchemists

Member No.: 40,666

Suicide is really a bad thing to do...some people lose careers beacause of that...
An example is Michael Hudson of the the band INXS...
Really bad suicide is...it does nothing good...

--------------------
"I'm Hyuuga Neji and you know It...."
"I refuse to a Battle of Wits with an Unarmed person..."

Our own site...Check it out...

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Dec 16 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #260

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

Suicide is a really a bad thing to do...some people lose careers beacause of that...
People lose more than just their career, when they kill themself.

An example is Michael Hudson of the the band INXS...

I thought his name was Micheal Hutchence... And I thought it was never proven that he killed himself.For lack of enough evidence.

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
cmChimera
post Dec 16 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #261

Citizen

Member No.: 43,252

Suicide is a cowards way out....

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 16 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #262

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

QUOTE(cmChimera @ Dec 16 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]485124[/snapback]
Suicide is a cowards way out....

You try aiming a gun at your head with the intention of pulling the trigger. That's scary...I assume. And what about the person who takes a shot/grenade/something bad for someone else? That's basically suicide is it not?

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
cmChimera
post Dec 17 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #263

Citizen

You try aiming a gun at your head with the intention of pulling the trigger. That's scary...I assume.
Obviously not as scary as living the rest of their lives huh?
And what about the person who takes a shot/grenade/something bad for someone else? That's basically suicide is it not?
No.

+Quote Post
Amol
post Dec 17 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #264

Major General

Member No.: 39,340

QUOTE(cmChimera @ Dec 18 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]485615[/snapback]
You try aiming a gun at your head with the intention of pulling the trigger. That's scary...I assume.

Yea I agree, what he has problem without a way out ?
And if that person cant face the problems than Suicide is the other option, that kind of makes it a cowards way out .... not literally but metaphorically.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 17 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #265

Master Alchemist

I'm pretty sure it contemplating killing yourself is scarier than doing nothing. Alot of these people do it for what they feel are valid reasons.

No.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there Einstein, we didn't all go to Harvard or Yale. How is it not suicide?
1. the intentional taking of one's own life.
2. destruction of one's own interests or prospects: Buying that house was financial suicide.
3. a person who intentionally takes his or her own life.
–verb (used without object)
4. to commit suicide.
–verb (used with object)
5. to kill (oneself).

Heroic acts of self sacrifice are still acts of suicide.

And if that person cant face the problems than Suicide is the other option, that kind of makes it a cowards way out .... not literally but metaphorically.

...Wha? How is it metaphorical?
Suicide can been seen as selfish, stupid, unreasoning and silly but not cowardliness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amol
post Dec 17 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #266

Major General

...Wha? How is it metaphorical?
Suicide can been seen as selfish, stupid, unreasoning and silly but not cowardliness.

May be cowardliness in the sense that , that other person is trying to escape from his problems when he cant find any solutions, backing off from your responsibilities and stuff.

+Quote Post
cmChimera
post Dec 17 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #267

Citizen

I'm pretty sure it contemplating killing yourself is scarier than doing nothing. Alot of these people do it for what they feel are valid reasons.
I may be missing something but this makes no sense.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there Einstein, we didn't all go to Harvard or Yale. How is it not suicide?
Taking a bullet isn't taking one's own life....Someone ended it....By your logic, every soldier has committed suicides. Police officers, Firemen, and Jesus Christ all committed suicide....You would have to be stupid as hell....

+Quote Post
ed_drink_your_mi...
post Dec 17 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #268

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 39,252

Heroic acts of self sacrifice are still acts of suicide.

Yes, it is suicide. And no, that does not include police and soldiers and such because even though they know of the risk they are taking, it does not gaurantee death, whereas jumping in front of a bullet, even to save a friend, does.

And, on the subject of it being a cowards way out, I think that that is really disrespectful. I have a friend who seriously considered suicide, and she is probably the bravest, most intelligent person I know. In the end I helped her ork it out, but what about people without friends. Then what. There wouldn't have been a way out for them. It's not a cowards option, it's just a different option.

I am, at the moment, discussing this with my cousin. She says that people without people who cared about them could always go to free counseling. That's true, but most people on the verge of suicide wouldn't be willing to share their life story with a complete stranger who claims to understand them because they have a PhD. Of course, I wouldn't want anyone close to me to die, but, if they were truely suffering and there was no way out, I would accept their dicision out of respect for them. I know there will be people who disagree with me, but I think that if someone's life is so messed up that they want to take it away, they should at least have a little respect and hopefully be able to rest in peace.

--------------------
Apprentice and fellow Button Klutz to Seventh_sky *grubbly fist* [stolen]

^<3 Zarp^

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Dec 17 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #269

Master Alchemist

May be cowardliness in the sense that , that other person is trying to escape from his problems when he cant find any solutions, backing off from your responsibilities and stuff.
If this person has decided to off themselves then who the hell are we to judge, especially if they've run out of other options. What about people with horrible incurable diseases?
"You're going to be miserable for the rest of your (artificially extended) life but atleast you're facing your responsibilities."
Nut's to that. People should be allowed to make these choices about their lives without people calling them cowards.

Taking a bullet isn't taking one's own life....Someone ended it....By your logic, every soldier has committed suicides. Police officers, Firemen, and Jesus Christ all committed suicide....You would have to be stupid as hell....

By my logic everyone who deliberately act in a way that would cost them their lives, knowingly, is committing suicide. Jesus sacrificed himself (allegedly) for the greater good. It's still suidice. And it's not just m logic, it's how it's defined in the dictionary.

I may be missing something but this makes no sense.

Let me put it simply:
Thinking about killing yourself, really thinking about doing it, is probably scarier than choosing to go on living.
You're purposely condemning yourself to death, admitting you were beaten and throwing in the towel. It takes allot to know when your beat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amol
post Dec 17 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #270

Major General

QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Dec 18 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]485630[/snapback]
If this person has decided to off themselves then who the hell are we to judge, especially if they've run out of other options. What about people with horrible incurable diseases?
"You're going to be miserable for the rest of your (artificially extended) life but atleast you're facing your responsibilities."
Nut's to that. People should be allowed to make these choices about their lives without people calling them cowards.

come to think of it , i would'nt want to live a life disabled.
thats right , what you said. I totally agree.

but i dint say that the person ran out of solutions.....i said he could'nt find them.

If a person is unable to find the solutions , he should work hard to get them.
People go through difficult times and find a way out.
according to me Suicide is umm... say quiting from their share of responsibilities.

basically commiting suicide is not good as it not only affects the people of that members family but also sets a week example for the other people in the society.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 09:44 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css