Reply to this topicStart new topic
Real Life Alchemy, And Alchemist
Snake-Alchemist
post Dec 5 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,244

Im boning up on my roger bacon right now, trieing to learn all I can about alchemic formulie. He has written some intersting stuff about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snake-Alchemist
post Dec 22 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 27,244

The two keys to complex elemental alchemy are distilation, and the use of electrical arks to transfer the properties of one element to another, or even mix them together. For instance, the age old theory for making gold is distilling certain elements with certain properties, then mixing the distilled elemental byproducts together to get the desired element, this one being gold, so you take something like sulphur, distill it, and you get a yellow substance, mix that with distilled lead, stick the mixed substance in the distilary and distill it again, Sulificate it, let it cool and bam youve got gold(or an elaborate fake). Now for the electrical ark theory, lets say you take a carbon based substance like a red rose, align the flower with a simpiler substance, lets say milk, you pass the electrical ark through the calcium molecules in the milk, which then passes through the pigment forming cells in the flower, turning the red rose into a white one(because of the calcium mixed into the pigment cells)

But yes, everyday mixtures, like delicious chocolate milk, are still technicaly alchemy because your changing the elemental make up of the milk.

+Quote Post
Dystopian Rhetor...
post Dec 27 2005, 06:46 AM
Post #33

Citizen

Member No.: 12,515

QUOTE(Molecular Alchemist @ Nov 14 2005, 08:41 PM) [snapback]314492[/snapback]

^^^then I say your science teacher is wrong.(hehehe) If you can take two objects (such as two chunks of metal) and press them together with enough force, the molecules will eventually start to blend with each other....thus creating a new type of metal. (I remember reading that back in chem...I think it takes a long time under stander temp and pressure...but i believe it can be done more quickly if you manipulte the state of the metals or the area around them).

Okay, I'm not sure on this one... but enough force to mix two molecules? We're talking black hole stuff here. Unless you're just talking about regular reactions, and electon transfer... well um... yeah, you don't really create a new type of metal then. Just a new compound.

And furthermore, if you take any element, and mess around with the electrons in its valence shell, won't you get a new element? huh.gif

Nope. You'd get an ion of that element. You'd need to change the number of protons (and good luck doing that, outside of radioactive decay).

+Quote Post
princess_punker8...
post Mar 21 2006, 03:37 AM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 33,062

I've been doing alot of reading on the Holy Grail...the only reason I bring that up is in the book I'm currently reading, they mention that sometimes the Holy Grail is refered to as a philosopher's stone. This is the exerpt from the book:
But what is the Grail exactly, and what is it supposed to do? Not all the authors are as vauge as Wolfram when he says 'There was a thing that was called the Grail, the crown of all earthly wishes fair fullness that ne'er shall fail.' But his is certainly no exception to the wreathes of mists which engulf the object. And just as there is no single account of the quest, there is no single description of the mysterious Grail itself. It variously appears as a dish, a cauldron, a chalice, the cup of the Last Supper, the emerald which fell from Lucifer's crown as he plummeted to hell, a philosopher's stone and a beatific vision.
The quest is a varied as the vessel sought. It is seen as a search for the Ulitmate Source.....or simply the avenging of a blood feud. The Grail can not really be seperated from the undertaking of the quest for it. Both Grail and quest, the goal and the process towards the goal, embody the ultimate human fulfillment, whatever form the author wishes to take.

Im only asking this here because this seems to be a thread full of intelligent people. Do you think that this is the basis of the hunt for the Philosopher's Stone? Do you think there's any connection? The more I think about it, I really think there just might be a connection, but then again, what are the odds that the creators of FMA knew about this?

*Quote from: "The Holy Grail: Its Origins, Secrets, & Meaning Revealed" By Malcolm Godwin Copyright 1994 Published by Penguin Books USA, INC ISBN#0-670-85128-0

<Merged "Fyi, Origins of real alchemy (disambiguation)" thread here with 9 posts, starting with Snake-Alchemist's post on Dec. 4, 2005, and ending with this post. 02/03/07 ~Tombow>

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ting
post Aug 25 2006, 04:00 AM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 39,859

Chemistry IS alchemy. You can turn lead into gold in Chemistry, but not like clapping your hands together and slam it down.

Chemistry still requires the law of equivalent trade. Like turning one substance into another. You can't just conjure up a bottle of acid out of nowhere right?

Well I never mind too much about science though. The last time we are talking about equivalent trade with my friend. HEHE

--------------------
hito wa nanika no gisei nashi ni, nani mo eru koto wa dekinai.
nanika wo eru tame ni wa, doutou no daika ga hitsuyou ni naru.
sore ga, renkinjutsu ni okeru "toukakoukan" no gensoku da.
sono koro, bokura wa sore ga sekai no shinjitsu da to shinjiteita.

Humankind can not get anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of equlivant exchange.
In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one and only truth.

Please check out my fandubbing project: script writing, OST and SFX needed!
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/pm/?id=199

+Quote Post
Mudkipblader
post Nov 28 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 42,534

QUOTE( Ting)
Chemistry still requires the law of equivalent trade. Like turning one substance into another. You can't just conjure up a bottle of acid out of nowhere right?

Well I never mind too much about science though. The last time we are talking about equivalent trade with my friend. HEHE

Sure, Chemistry has a lot of laws that state that the amount of things stays the same. (E.g: Atoms, Energy, mass)
All of them together can form the "Ultimate Law of Alchemy": Equivalent Exchange.

In FMA there is said that our world is more of a Physic-world. So We'll always have to deal with the laws of Physics. Clapping our hands will never activate a reaction, 'cause it has nothing to do with Physics. -Stupid, if you say me-

Cool! I'm an Alchemist. That's a Dream come thrue.
Just call me the Spark-Dragon Alchemist XD Uses bitbeast (Lightning Dragoon) to activate alchemy

--------------------

Please check out my art :My devart account

+Quote Post
Chiisana
post Nov 30 2006, 10:36 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 42,646

Hmm... Then I must be the worse alchemist ever. I can't even make something good out of kicthen xD All I know is pouring warm water into instant cocoa powder and then mix~ -laughes-

--------------------
|| =deviantArt= || =LiveJournal= ||

+Quote Post
Triss Hawkeye
post Dec 3 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,067

@kokoro_shadow_angel: You think Chemistry is Maths.....you should see Physics. I took both subjects.

Meh, if only we could do stuff with transmutation circles....

--------------------
"You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
~C.S. Lewis~

+Quote Post
Female Flame Alc...
post Dec 6 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #39

Citizen

Member No.: 42,197

Wow I never thought of it like that! My dreams are finally coming true. Whell lets see I start fires everywere with maches. Striking the matches agenst the striker is like alchemy....right...? Whell then my specilty would be fire.

+Quote Post
Stealth
post Dec 8 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 43,136

I took both physics and chemistry as well. Talk about hard! but one day in class when I was taking a nap I vaguely remember my chem. teacher say something about alchemy I would tell you more about it but I am on my break smile.gif. But I was very interesting and even kept me awake for the rest of the class.

But as Triss Hawkeye said it would be fun to do transmutation circles, it would make mixing chocolate and milk twice as fun smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amol
post Dec 8 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #41

Major General

Member No.: 39,340

QUOTE(Mudkipblader @ Nov 28 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]478937[/snapback]
QUOTE( Ting)

Sure, Chemistry has a lot of laws that state that the amount of things stays the same. (E.g: Atoms, Energy, mass)
All of them together can form the "Ultimate Law of Alchemy": Equivalent Exchange.

In FMA there is said that our world is more of a Physic-world. So We'll always have to deal with the laws of Physics. Clapping our hands will never activate a reaction, 'cause it has nothing to do with Physics.

Ultimate Law of Alchemy - Equivalent Exchange......
This is not true to all conditions my friend.

Do you even know how is an element transmuted ?

Laws of physics and chemistry are all are inter-related.
Mass-Energy equation is an example from the physics side not the chemistry , but its used in chemistry more !

+Quote Post
GREEDisGOOD
post Jan 13 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #42

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,729

If you really think about it, chemistry was derived from alchemy, therfore chemistry really is a form of alchemy, just not in the way we think.

If you think about it, Equivalent Exhange (EE) really does agree with two of Newton's laws.
Newton states that the amount of energy in the universre always remains at a constant. In EE, to gain something, something of equal value must be given up, so the amount of energy remains the same.
Also, Newtons states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. EE refraizes this to say that for every gain there is an equal and opposite sacrifice.

<Fixed double posting. ^^ 01/18/06 ~Tombow>

+Quote Post
Kaien
post Jan 18 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 43,924

Hmmm...interesting way to think about it. I guess it makes sense. Science just got more interesting for me!

Equivalent exchange is nothing miraculous. It happens every day in life. "To obtain, something of equal value must be given." Think about it, anything you do, you are giving something else up to do it. Apply this to anything and it makes sense in general.

Crazy...as I was typing this, I was thinking about how Economics even relates to Alchemy...curse you economic theory 315!

--------------------

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange." -Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
cutie
post Mar 30 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 43,504

Equivalent exchange is nothing miraculous. It happens every day in life. "To obtain, something of equal value must be given." Think about it, anything you do, you are giving something else up to do it. Apply this to anything and it makes sense in general.

@Kaien : you are correct...i tried to make my sisters understand this, but they wont listen to me...

there were real life alchemists alright...

--------------------

This Sig is made by me...no wonder it's awkward
If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your hands, snapping your fingers or drawing an array,
copy and paste this to your signature.

+Quote Post
ehxhfdl14
post Mar 30 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 45,709

this is a new way to think of our everyday actions.

--------------------
We have met the enemy, and he is us.
-Walt Kelly, Pogo

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css