Didn't Like The Ending?, A different view on the ending
Rating 3 V
yellowduckie
post Nov 4 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,603

After watching the movie, I was so affected, both by the pre- WWII references in TCS, and the surely dissatisfying ending to a fan.

But after some analysis, I actually changed my mind about the ending. And I propose a new way of looking at the film.

If you are/were dissatisfied with the ending, I invite you to read this piece I wrote.

Yes, shameless plug.

http://www.xanga.com/libraryminion

(as a warning, it is a fairly academic but also subjective analysis.....)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Great Aspara...
post Nov 12 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,454

wooooww... i praise you and your wonderful writing skills

i was just happy for ed that he and al are together again, but poor winry...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ed Elrich
post Nov 12 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Member No.: 26,080

QUOTE(yellowduckie @ Nov 4 2005, 07:23 AM) [snapback]308961[/snapback]

After watching the movie, I was so affected, both by the pre- WWII references in TCS, and the surely dissatisfying ending to a fan.

But after some analysis, I actually changed my mind about the ending. And I propose a new way of looking at the film.

If you are/were dissatisfied with the ending, I invite you to read this piece I wrote.

Yes, shameless plug.

http://www.xanga.com/libraryminion

(as a warning, it is a fairly academic but also subjective analysis.....)

What movie?

--------------------
IPB Image
!IPB ImageIPB ImageKaton,Goukakyuu no Jutsu

+Quote Post
who me?Yes you...
post Nov 15 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 20,804

Sorry Yellow Duckie you may not like it, but you have to accept it. Who know's Chirstmas is coming and maybe if you have been good this year santa will grant your's and the wish of other fan's that the Bones Studio continue's the FullMetal Alchemist story . laugh.gif

--------------------
" To name is to Know. To Know is to control. That's why I won't tell you my name!"

+Quote Post
kokoro_shadow_an...
post Nov 23 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 26,554

actually, i thought i'd hate the ending too....but actually, i loved it...

disney has poisoned us american viewers...from the day we were born, we were taught that "all good stories have happy endings...that's just the way things are"...

children have to be taught that life isn't fair...sure, i loved barney and at one point, disney princess stories (what was i thinking?!)...but you know what? we're just lying to kids...fma's awesome because its a good story that shows us life ain't fair...and it doesn't give the happy ending we were trained to like...its the truth...embrace the truth people...

as much as i wish they'd continue the fma story...there's not much of a story to tell anymore...

read fanfics LoL

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Nov 26 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

I'm glad SOME people are finally having an open mind about the ending.

This is the way that the story needed to end. This is just the type of person Ed is now. I wanted him to end up with Winry too, but you know what? That's what fan fiction is for. I'm surprised no one's really doing it. Well a couple are, and a couple are well-written, but not very many.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Keos
post Nov 27 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #7

Apprentice

Member No.: 17,621

That was well-written, YellowDuckie and I applaud you for taking the time and patience to write the analysis. The ending may not be meaningless or bad, technically speaking, but I still don't like it. In fact, I greatly dislike it, but oh well, it's all done now. Ed and Al are living in a dangerous time now, away from the Rockbells. I love my fairy tales and there's always the manga to make things more "Disney-like", maybe tongue.gif

The world is not fair and that's what has always been said in the anime, still, it would've been more satisfying to see that something fair actually happened to Ed and Al (Al having got back together with Ed is one of the more fair things that could happen, but it would've been even better to have kept the family together).

--------------------
Avid EdWin supporter!

EdWin is canon! Thankyou Arakawa-sensei~~ ^ ^

Cloud & Tifa - The official FF7 couple.

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Nov 27 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Keos @ Nov 27 2005, 06:57 AM) [snapback]320277[/snapback]

The world is not fair and that's what has always been said in the anime, still, it would've been more satisfying to see that something fair actually happened to Ed and Al (Al having got back together with Ed is one of the more fair things that could happen, but it would've been even better to have kept the family together).

I don't feel it said this at all. I think its just what you said.

And they did keep the family together, the family being Ed and Al. I remember all the whining before the movie came out. That's what EVERYONE wanted. "Ed and Al REUNITED" That's EXACTLY what happened.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMA23
post Nov 28 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 26,414

I didn't like the ending at all. Especially for poor Winry. I was crying so much. The very least they could of done was say good bye to her....

+Quote Post
Dusha
post Nov 29 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 21,089

I thought one of the most touching parts of the movie was the fact that Ed and Al didn't have to "say" goodbye to Winry. Due to her connection with them, she knew without the words being said that she would never see them again. I find it interesting that some fans are really upset about the fact, but Winry herself looked rather resigned about the entire thing. She knew that there was something greater than her going on and willingly accepted it.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Nov 29 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #11

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(Dusha @ Nov 29 2005, 10:43 AM) [snapback]321722[/snapback]

I thought one of the most touching parts of the movie was the fact that Ed and Al didn't have to "say" goodbye to Winry. Due to her connection with them, she knew without the words being said that she would never see them again.....

Wow, I didn't think that, but yeah, makes sense!!
Good observations!! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Nov 30 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Dusha @ Nov 29 2005, 04:43 PM) [snapback]321722[/snapback]

I thought one of the most touching parts of the movie was the fact that Ed and Al didn't have to "say" goodbye to Winry. Due to her connection with them, she knew without the words being said that she would never see them again. I find it interesting that some fans are really upset about the fact, but Winry herself looked rather resigned about the entire thing. She knew that there was something greater than her going on and willingly accepted it.

Exactly! And this is why its great. Its sad, depressing, and yes, FRUSTRATING! But its dramatic and beautifully done. FMA is great because it incites these strong emotions out of you. If you are sad that Ed and Al will probably never see Winry again, that's exactly how you should feel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
snake-eater3
post Dec 1 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 20,177

The endings is good, not great but good, I wished that they would of made a "happily ever after" thing for Hawkeye and Mustang or a pic with hawkeye with a wedding dress and Mustang with a tux.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
kokoro_shadow_an...
post Dec 1 2005, 01:46 AM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 26,554

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Nov 30 2005, 10:24 PM) [snapback]322353[/snapback]

QUOTE(Dusha @ Nov 29 2005, 04:43 PM) [snapback]321722[/snapback]

Exactly! And this is why its great. Its sad, depressing, and yes, FRUSTRATING! But its dramatic and beautifully done. FMA is great because it incites these strong emotions out of you. If you are sad that Ed and Al will probably never see Winry again, that's exactly how you should feel.

man these writers are geniuses...i was hella FRUSTRATED at that depressing ending...i feel bad for her...she gave up some of the best years of her life for those guys...then again, she did get some pretty good memories out of the times she had with them....i guess that's the equivalvent exchange here....

QUOTE(snake-eater3 @ Dec 1 2005, 12:51 AM) [snapback]322425[/snapback]

The endings is good, not great but good, I wished that they would of made a "happily ever after" thing for Hawkeye and Mustang or a pic with hawkeye with a wedding dress and Mustang with a tux.

uh...considering how emo roy was in the movie, that would've been strange...plus in the movie, they made it seem like hawkeye and mustang hadn't spoken since she was taking care of him...

but i still think it was really stupid of BONES to make him all depressed in the movie...after all, he was the one telling hawkeye not to be so depressed in episode 51...that's the one thing i'd like to change about the movie...otherwise, its all sad and tragic for a good reason

+Quote Post
zanirii_master
post Jun 7 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 36,854

it wasn't bad or good, I wished to see them returning to their home 'cause Ed worked a lot to be a nacional alchemist and Al was getting stronger as an alchemist. Ed sacrificed his arm and leg and got all to be a great alchemist and for nothing at the end? well I think that, but either he joined with Al at last and it's something good for him that wished to return to his world to see him.

Well maybe if Dante appeared as a villain the end may change a lot making Ed think about his decission.

Well I think that, even if FMA Conquereor of Shamabala had a strange end it was interesting.

--------------------
IPB Image
Zanirii_Master: the crazy alchemist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 12:17 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css