HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Price Of Fma Dvds., Is it really worth it?
Molecular Alchem...
post Oct 29 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #46

Brigadier General

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,926

I'm looking at it like this: a movie costs around $15-$25.00 at Best Buy...and I really HATE half of the crap that they have out now; furthermore, a movie's running time is about 1.5-2hrs. If you put this in the context of the FMA dvd's, you can get an FMA dvd, which has a running time of approx 1.5hrs, for $19.99 at Best Buy...and it's much more entertaining and will make me happier than any of that Hollywood bs that they sell. And concidering that the FMA dvds are coming out once every 2 months...I'm sure I can put aside $10/month for a dvd biggrin.gif Also, I found that my local Target had seasons 1 and 2 for $9.99...I have them already so it really doesn't do me any good, but the point is that there are reasonable prices if you are willing to look for them...and if they run as long as a movie and cost as much (or less than--depending on where you go) than a movie, I really see no problem with it. Anime is an expensive hobbie, there's no denying that biggrin.gif

--------------------

Proud Member of the Anti-Shou Movement
Honorable Vice-Captain of the Anti-Inoue Squad
BLEACH FANS UNITE!!!--new manga-based arc starts at epi 109!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 29 2005, 03:21 AM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

I think I made a similar point about someone comparing the value of a DVD set for The Pretender and Fullmetal Alchemist. Mainly in that the Pretender sucks and Fullmetal Alchemist rocks and is worth the money smile.gif .

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
vfdj42
post Nov 8 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #48

Apprentice

Group: Validating
Member No.: 25,992

I happened to get FMA: The Fall ofIshbal for free, just today. Of course I want the other DVDs (so I'm not such a newbie x_x) but they're too expensive, and I chose the one I knew had lots of Angsty War! Roy. I got it for free because I returned most of my old DVDs and got a lot of money back. But under normal circumstances, $26 for 4 episodes? NO WAY. O.o

+Quote Post
fmafan16
post Feb 3 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 30,573

As someone who buys FMA DvD's, I think that the price isn't too high, because if your really into the show, and your following the story line, it wouldn't matter, but I want to bring up something, does anyone know why it takes so long to come out with new volumes, at the rate they are going it's going to take a while to complete the collection, but it's well worth the wait

--------------------
FMA ROCKS MY SOCKS

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 3 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 29 2005, 02:06 AM) [snapback]305993[/snapback]
Mainly in that the Pretender sucks and Fullmetal Alchemist rocks and is worth the money smile.gif .

Man, too many pre-conseived haters around here. dry.gif

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 19 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #51

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

In my attempt to collect all FMA DVD threads into one sub-forum, I'm moving this thread from FMA Anime forum section front to FMA Anime American Japanese Audience sub-forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 19 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #52

As long as this topic has been resurrected anyway, I read recently that Anime DVDs are more expensive in America because its still seen as a niche' interest, and company's need to turn a profit off a small drawing pool. There's a lot of us online, but in the real life, we're few and far in between, so higher prices are necessary to keep the industry going, or something like that.

Also, no matter how expensive Anime DVDs are in America, they're still cheaper than buying them in Japan.

--------------------
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

+Quote Post
Naivete
post Feb 24 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #53

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 43,484

I recently found out that FMA Dvds were actually legally sold in Australia- I was pretty surprised happy.gif

One set (2 to 3 episodes (approx 1 to 1.5 hours)) is sold for AUS$30 in Target; not worth my money IMO. Dvds that run for the same time can be bought for half the price of that, and considering FMA is pretty old..

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Feb 24 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #54

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 29,359

1. Get a library card
2. Look in anime section of library
3. Go home and rip on PC
4. ????
5. PROFIT!!!

Seriously, I recently discovered the awesomeness of public libraries and now I hang out there and study for ACTs everday. wacko.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Feb 25 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #55

Anime at your local library? Mine carries a scratched disk of vol. 1 of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Does that count?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Feb 25 2007, 07:23 AM
Post #56

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 29,359

Good enough. We even carry video games (all worth nothing but yeah.) 8)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Aug 9 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

I have a question. I want to buy the series, but I want to make sure it's what I want it to be. I don't like the dubs. Someone said earlier that the DVDs come with the option to put it on the original Japanese track with English subtitles? Now, are those subtitles actually directly *translated* from the Japanese like the fansubs are, or is it just the text from the English dub? If it was just the text from the dub then it would be crappy. In other words, is the sub on the official DVD a good one? If it is, then I'd like to know the best options for how/where to purchase the series. Thanks

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2016 - 06:38 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css