HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Price Of Fma Dvds., Is it really worth it?
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 26 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #16

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Anyone who shells out $20-25 a pop for that hatchet job of a dub is a born-again sucker.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Oct 26 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 16,467

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 26 2005, 02:52 AM) [snapback]304567[/snapback]

Anyone who shells out $20-25 a pop for that hatchet job of a dub is a born-again sucker.

so you've accomplished to offend three types of people in that statement.

wow. and they made you a moderator?

--------------------
"Everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk." -Bender

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 26 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #18

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 26 2005, 07:52 AM) [snapback]304567[/snapback]

Even though the dubs include all the original openings and endings not shown on TV, the Japanese language tracks, AND English subtitles. Did you think SOME people might be paying for those as well slappy?

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 26 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #19

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 26 2005, 03:22 PM) [snapback]304653[/snapback]

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 26 2005, 07:52 AM) [snapback]304567[/snapback]

Even though the dubs include all the original openings and endings not shown on TV, the Japanese language tracks, AND English subtitles. Did you think SOME people might be paying for those as well slappy?

Yes. Suckers who don't know how to find fansubs. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Odysseus
post Oct 26 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 15,996

Fan subs are rarely of what one would call high video quality.

--------------------
IPB Image
I've returned after a long absence so hooray? ^^
My forum family: So far just my one and only sister: ed's numbuh 1 fan

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 26 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #21

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Odysseus @ Oct 26 2005, 06:58 PM) [snapback]304719[/snapback]

Fan subs are rarely of what one would call high video quality.

More than good enough for anime.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 26 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 26 2005, 07:34 PM) [snapback]304660[/snapback]

Yes. Suckers who don't know how to find fansubs. laugh.gif

I know how to find fansubs and I still bought the DVD's. Why? I want to own the series on DVD. I want to show my support to the great folks who made this anime possible. For a show like FMA, I'm a completist and I want the official DVD's.

You can call me a sucker if you want, but I see people wasting money on stupider things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 26 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #23

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 27 2005, 01:49 AM) [snapback]305034[/snapback]

I want to show my support to the great folks who made this anime possible. For a show like FMA, I'm a completist and I want the official DVD's.

Then you should've bought the Japanese dvds, because Bones won't be getting a red cent of the proceeds from FUNi's dvd sales.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Odysseus
post Oct 27 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #24

Apprentice

Member No.: 15,996

Yeah I've been trying to find a good place to buy the Japanese DVD's..... So far I can only find a retailer at toysnjoys.com and I'm a bit untrusting on the ones on eBay. Anyone know a good place to import the DVD's?

--------------------
IPB Image
I've returned after a long absence so hooray? ^^
My forum family: So far just my one and only sister: ed's numbuh 1 fan

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 27 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 27 2005, 05:58 AM) [snapback]305038[/snapback]

Then you should've bought the Japanese dvds, because Bones won't be getting a red cent of the proceeds from FUNi's dvd sales.

To quote Milk-Chan "Its always money, money, money, money, money, money!"

Funimation probably pays Bones to license the series...so whatever.

I think that my buying of the DVD's in the US shows that I'm a fan and that Americans love the show. I feel that I'm giving North American FMA fans representation and a voice. I want to prove to the Japanese that their work can be successful here and that's a great thing.

I see no point in shelling out a crap load money for imported Japanese DVD's since the American ones have EVERYTHING I need...and in English.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 27 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #26

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Isn't that just a cop-out? If you feel so strongly about supporting the people who made the anime, you should go directly to the source, not some half-assed surrogate.

As I understand it, most dubbing companies pay a single lump sum to obtain the rights to a show. There's no way I'm gonna support a company like FUNi if they intend to continue making subpar dubs, as they have since the dawn of time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 27 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 27 2005, 07:57 AM) [snapback]305063[/snapback]

Isn't that just a cop-out? If you feel so strongly about supporting the people who made the anime, you should go directly to the source, not some half-assed surrogate.

Well this might be news to you, but once again...I don't believe Funimation is a HALF-ASSED surrogate. So maybe if you saw it from my perspective you'd understand a little better. They've shown nothing but the utmost reverance and respect to Alchemist. They didn't even dub the opening songs into English as they did with some of their other series.

They are giving us the DVD's uncut, unedited, with the original covers. The same amount of volumes as the Japanese released, the OST's, among other things. I don't see how they are half-assing the series. Yeah you don't like the dub, it sucks, I get it. I just don't subscribe to your POV.

As I understand it, most dubbing companies pay a single lump sum to obtain the rights to a show. There's no way I'm gonna support a company like FUNi if they intend to continue making subpar dubs, as they have since the dawn of time.

I mean, do you read any of the posts in here? A great deal of us think they are doing a good job with the dub. And you know, have you seen Blue Gender? Fruits Basket? Kiddy Grade? Their dubs for those shows were exceptional. But I bet to you, just would continue generalizing and say they are subpar and that they could NEVER make anything above a subpar dub.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 27 2005, 01:30 AM
Post #28

Gallery Mod Emeritus

There's good acting, and there's bad acting. Good casting and bad casting. These can actually be quantified, unlike most instances of 'good' and 'bad' dichotomies.
From what I've seen of FUNi, rather than finding the best, most appropriate actors for any given role, they instead just take whoever's available, and tailor the character to them, instead of the other way around. That's lazy and irresponsible, and it produces results that are mediocre at best.
And their ADR scripting is just crap. They focus way too much on making the lines sync with the lip flaps, and way too little on trying to make the dialogue feel genuine and realistic. Because of this, all their dubs sound awkward, like the VAs don't really feel the lines as they speak them.
If I want to hear a quality dub, I'll look to Pioneer, or Bandai, or even ADV [they've improved by leaps and bounds in the last 3 or 4 years]. FUNi represents the bottom, or near-bottom rung for dubbing companies. They produce sloppy translations, and they cast poorly. This is fact, not opinion.

And for the record, I have bought anime dvds in the past, and will continue to do so if I feel that it's worth the investment. However, FUNimation will never see a dime from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Oct 27 2005, 01:47 AM
Post #29

Alchemists

Member No.: 16,467

for that one person who asked for a place to buy jap ver dvds: try visiting local anime specialty shops in your area. i know there is one where i live that only sells the imports.

and about "buying from the source": bones doesn't expect american audiences to buy the dvds from them. they licenced fma to funimation for that very reason, so americans can enjoy the show. they get plenty of money from just that.

i think it's foolish to slam the dubbed versions. i've seen a lot of crappy american dubbed anime, but fma is one of the best i've seen. it was that version that got me hooked on fma. i know i wouldn't have watched it if it was only in japanese. also, fansubs are very poor translation, plus it puts you at the mercy of the translators. you wouldn't have an episode if some person out there translated it.

and that's not to say whether or not downloading fansubs are legal, since you get a copy of the show with NO money going to bones or funimation. the only "legal" way an english speaking audience can see fma is through the dubbs. not to mention what vileone said about the jap translation being on the dvds.

bottom line: get a life everyone. it's just a show. a great show.

--------------------
"Everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk." -Bender

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 27 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(What, no bacon? @ Oct 27 2005, 08:30 AM) [snapback]305073[/snapback]

There's good acting, and there's bad acting. Good casting and bad casting. These can actually be quantified, unlike most instances of 'good' and 'bad' dichotomies.

From what I've seen of FUNi, rather than finding the best, most appropriate actors for any given role, they instead just take whoever's available, and tailor the character to them, instead of the other way around. That's lazy and irresponsible, and it produces results that are mediocre at best.

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Could you give some examples?

And you do know for their shows, Fullmetal Alchemist in particular they have to get approval of the English voice actors from the Japanese producers? Just saying, they have culpability for this as well. So you shouldn't just blame Funimation.

And their ADR scripting is just crap. They focus way too much on making the lines sync with the lip flaps, and way too little on trying to make the dialogue feel genuine and realistic. Because of this, all their dubs sound awkward, like the VAs don't really feel the lines as they speak them.

I'm not going to deny this, because I'm not a fan of their DBZ dubs. But most recently I think they've made major improvements and are doing a great job with shows like Samurai 7, FMA, Fruits Basket, and Blue Gender. Blue Gender itself which pretty much seemed like an exact translation of the Japanese and was more than competent. Though I don't think the series itself is all that great, just a great English dub.

If I want to hear a quality dub, I'll look to Pioneer, or Bandai, or even ADV [they've improved by leaps and bounds in the last 3 or 4 years]. FUNi represents the bottom, or near-bottom rung for dubbing companies. They produce sloppy translations, and they cast poorly. This is fact, not opinion.

Pioneer doesn't dub anything. And they are Geneon now. Bandai does NOT produce or create the English dubs. They hire other companies that do that for them. These companies are companies such as Animaze, ZRO Limit, and the Ocean Group. These are the guys that translate, produce, record the English dubs for anime that companies that Bandai or Geneon license.

Funimation does not cast poorly either. They use a lot of the same EXCEPTIONAL VA talent that ADV does. This is true of Fullmetal Alchemist especially. A great deal of the Fullmetal Alchemist cast are ADV regulars, especially for lead and significant characters.

And for the record, I have bought anime dvds in the past, and will continue to do so if I feel that it's worth the investment. However, FUNimation will never see a dime from me.

Man, you are very bleak sad.gif . I'm not asking you to buy anything, but you ARE being pretty close-minded, extreme, and not to mention over-generalizing about all this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 05:22 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css