HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Price Of Fma Dvds., Is it really worth it?
Nepharski
post Oct 22 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,257

<In my attempt to collect all FMA DVD threads into one sub-forum, I'm moving this thread from FMA Anime forum section front to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum. 02/19/07 ~Tombow>

Not to sound miserly or anything, but I feel the prices for FMA DVDs to be startlingly high...at least by comparison, anyway. $35 will buy you the complete 2nd Season of, say, The Pretender, a total of 21 episodes, but $40 would only buy you 8 FMA episodes, 4 per $20 disk. Continuing with the comparison, a standard Pretender episode is about 45 minutes, whereas a FMA episode is aprox. 25 minutes. Excuse me, but I find that a tad expensive. Now, 4 episodes for $10 or something would be far more reasonable.

Or is it?

The only thing I know of one the DVDs are the episodes. What I want to know is, what else is there? What bonus features justify the price tag?

Is it worth it, or should I sit back and weight for when the prices go down a year or so from now?

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Odysseus
post Oct 22 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Apprentice

Member No.: 15,996

Whether or not you should wait is entirely based on how much you want them. If you don't want them badly enough to spend 20 dollars on them every 8 weeks (or was it seven....) then you can probably wait. But don't get your hopes up, DVD's tend to take a very long time to go down in price. I mean, the most I've ever seen a Popular Anime DVD drop in price over the course of a year is 3 dollars.

Is it worth it? Who knows. It varies from DVD to DVD. You can always check what special features it has by going to a store and looking at the back of the DVD case. Volume 5 seems to have a decent amount of extras that might justify the price. Some Volumes are a bit dry when it comes to features. I felt that Volume 4 didn't have much that impressed... (Okay so yes it did have the complete first episode of a another anime for promotional reasons but... ah... whatever)

I think it's worth it since the DVD's come out reasonably far apart. You can earn back that 20 dollars within that time. Never really any profit or loss that way.

--------------------
IPB Image
I've returned after a long absence so hooray? ^^
My forum family: So far just my one and only sister: ed's numbuh 1 fan

+Quote Post
Shizuka85
post Oct 23 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 18,896

Anime dvds have always been more expensive than American crap dvds. I've been dealing with it for the past five years, so I'm used to it now. Actually, lots of stores *coughsuncoastcough* sell the FMA dvds for $30 each, not $20 each. Anime is an expensive hobby. That's just the way it is.

+Quote Post
darkangelslayer
post Oct 23 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,011

If I were you I'd just wait til the box set comes out. It comes out to be a lot cheaper. I highly doubt the prices will go down either. I just checked some anime right now on Bestbuy.com and Neon Genesis Evangelion, made in 1995, is still priced at around $25 per volume while the box set is only $70.

--------------------
IPB Image
I'm aka Anshi as dubbed by Celes *that can be used by anyone and everyone*
Celes x Anshi supporter XDD

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Oct 23 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Alchemists

Member No.: 16,467

eh, the pretender is a crappy show anyway.

i think we've talked about this before, in another thread...

--------------------
"Everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk." -Bender

+Quote Post
Guest_Ladymercury (unable to log in)_*
post Oct 23 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Guests

Well, I only pay 20 bucks at Best Buy... and yeah, also, I have a job... and yeah ._. I really have no problems with anime now since there's this gift called Best Buy and now McDonald's has that BestBuy buck deal with the large value meals and I usually get three best buy bucks all the time so I go out and buy anime for 17 instead of 20. lol ._.

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Oct 23 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(adamclark @ Oct 23 2005, 02:07 PM) [snapback]303567[/snapback]

eh, the pretender is a crappy show anyway.

*Kills.*

I was only using it as price comparison.

--------------------
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

+Quote Post
Odysseus
post Oct 23 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #8

Apprentice

Member No.: 15,996

Well, it's not exactly a fair price comparison. While Anime DVD's tend to never go down in price, the ones that do not sell well at all, tend to be the kind of product stores want to get out of their stock, so they dropt he price hoping someone will buy them. If it's good or not isn't a factor, if it's popular or not is.

--------------------
IPB Image
I've returned after a long absence so hooray? ^^
My forum family: So far just my one and only sister: ed's numbuh 1 fan

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Oct 23 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Alchemists

it's not fair to compair american sitcoms/dramas and anime, since the us shows sell by seasons, while animes start selling in volumes containing, as you said, a couple of episodes.

eventually they'll make box sets of all the episodes and it'll be cheaper. they have the japanese ver in two season sets.

it's not too fair though. cowboy bebop dvds are like 30 a pop with only a few episodes...

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlphonseRules
post Oct 23 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 6,124

I had this same problem when I first started watching FMA about a year ago. "TheVileOne" and I got into a bit of an argument about it too. laugh.gif
Here are some things to consider:
-A movie will run you between $15 to $20 for about 1.5 hours of film. That's about the same an anime DVD.
-A lot less people watch anime than other shows/movies. For that reason, the companies that license anime in the U.S. need to make more money per disc to turn a profit.
-The prices will not go down. If you go into Best Buy nearly every anime DVD is $20 no matter how long it has been on the shelf.

Personally I don't have a problem with the prices anymore.

--------------------
I'm still waiting for Al to rip someone in half.

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Oct 24 2005, 01:11 PM
Post #11

Alchemists

you could always buy used on ebay, i guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Oct 24 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(adamclark @ Oct 23 2005, 06:19 PM) [snapback]303676[/snapback]
eventually they'll make box sets of all the episodes and it'll be cheaper. they have the japanese ver in two season sets.

it's not too fair though. cowboy bebop dvds are like 30 a pop with only a few episodes...

Yeah, I think I'll end up buying them in sets. In the mean time, I'll tape all the new ones on Saturday.

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, a friend of mine had the first season or whatever, but all in one set, including english translations. It had over 20 episodes or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 25 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

No one's forcing you to buy them. And you can probably get them cheaper on deep discount DVD or anime discount DVD or whatever.

And here's the thing:

Fullmetal Alchemist = best anime series of all time

The Pretender = umm what's the Pretender?

I rest my case tongue.gif .

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
the_lightning_al...
post Oct 25 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #14

Alchemists

From: in a my own little world *starts humming random song*
Member No.: 19,617

My tips on how to save money on anime DVDS:

Buy them on sales (like the big storewide sales cause you're wasting your time waiting for them to go down in price by themselves)

Get them used at game stores or something

If you want more than 1 series to watch, make a big thing with your friends. Each one buys a different series and let's the others borrow it (I save hundreds of dollars that way)

google the series there's gotta be a site out there to download a lot of animes

record it from TV

get membership cards from Barnes and Noble or Waldenbook etc. and buy DVDS there. You always get a discount.

go to anime cons. You could bargen and sometimes they actually play anime as a show thing.

that's all I can recall right now. My friend's and I made this big list with all sorts of money saving tips.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scars of love
post Oct 25 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 16,792

20 bucks for a DVD isn't alot considering movies are only 2 hours and 4 episodes of an anime is around 2 hours. Its a fair trade.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css