HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
About Hiromu Arakawa: Bio Info And A Pic Of Arakawa-sensei On The First Page!, (Rest is mostly chat on whether Arakawa-sensei is a guy or gal. XD)
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 20 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #91

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(MasterKris @ Oct 20 2005, 04:39 PM) [snapback]302221[/snapback]

Very cute, slight details and those chibis with the humor, I kinda find it impossible for a man to think of that way and draw it that way. (Men particuarly DON'T draw that kind of stuff, they're more good at drawing action)

That's where you're wrong. It's not a male mangaka characteristic, it's a characteristic of shonen manga in general. 'Serious' manga is just as gender-neutral.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Oct 20 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #92

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

Not to stereotype but I always thought the "heart" of Fullmetal Alchemist had a women's touch.

+Quote Post
Jellybean
post Oct 20 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #93

Alchemists

Member No.: 11,397

I think this has already been posted on these boards somewhere, but here's a more recent short of hers, for those of you looking for more Arakawa-sensei works.

Raiden 18

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 20 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #94

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Ugh. I can't stand Yebyosh's translations.

Whoa, for a woman, Arakawa's not shy about drawing guro images, eh? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Oct 20 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #95

Guests

guro? o_O

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Oct 21 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 11,694

[quote name='The Great Asparagus' date='Oct 20 2005, 04:54 AM' post='301982']
we're suuuuuuuure arakawa's a woman. i read at some website how they took her for a guy cuz of her pen name and some other random stuff, sorry but i don't have the website with me anymore! so you'll just have to take our word for it...
[/quote]

Yeah, we're suuuuuure Arakawa sensei is a woman.

Or are we? Although I believe her to be so myself too, as a matter of fact, we (or at least, I) don't have really that much evidence...
Let's see:

[quote name='Reika' date='Oct 20 2005, 09:49 PM' post='302198']
[quote post='302186' date='Oct 20 2005, 09:02 PM' name='Kirara']
Another reason we know Arakawa is a female is she draws herself as a cow. There is no such thing as a male cow. tongue.gif [/quote]

haha, never thought about that XD he could have been a travesti though... ph34r.gif XDDDDD

[quote]I wonder what she really looks like since there doesn't seem to be an actual pictures of her on the web. I guess she is shy about the way she looks. [/quote]

Yeah, I'm curious too. Does anyone have any photo of her?

[quote]It could also be that Arakawa was not hiding her identity as a woman but it was just falsely assumed that she was male because she was writing a Shonen manga.
[/quote]

Yeah, but then... why did they say she was Hiroshi? I suppose she needs to give a name, right? Unless she wants to be anonymus... It could have been some misunderstanding when reading the kanjis too, now that I think about it.[/quote]

Avatars mean nothing -> I "represent" myself as Yomiko from ROD, and because of that (my guess) someone mistook me by a woman. happy.gif
Even if she was a man, he could've chosen a cow because of the farm origins anyway... Bulls are, somewhat, less "famous" or "funny-looking" than cows (eh... dunno how to say it. That phrase was pathetic. Whatever happy.gifU)

And the name, Hiromu, as someone pointed out, is ambiguous, and writing it in furigana is, I believe, a rather common practice in (shounen?) mangas... And we have no photo either... hmmm....

[quote name='What, no bacon?' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:13 PM' post='302209']
She's 32. Born 05/08/1973
And no, it's not her first manga. She had three others beforehand.

1999 STRAY DOG
2000 Totsugeki Tonari no Enikkusu
2000 Shanghai Yōmakikai

...thank god for wikipedia. happy.gif

And the cow avatar comes from the fact that she was raised on a dairy farm.
[/quote]

There's Wikipedia indeed. But the fact that you can find almost any info in it is as true as the fact that that info is never 100% reliable, since it is such -> a Wiki. Anyone can enter info in it and nothing prevents it from being wrong. As far as I've seen, Arakawa being a she is the most predominant opinion around, and therefore, it's logical that it'd be the one to make it there by some well-informed fan.

To me, the most reliable source is the one where I learnt it personally from: The Interview with Arakawa that Yebyosh translated, and in which he made a comment like... "So, she IS a woman", which makes me guess that in the original it read "Kanojo" or whatever somewhere.
But still, there's nothing sure yet, that I know of.

[quote name='Reika' date='Oct 20 2005, 09:49 PM' post='302198']
[quote]Oh my I never noticed that. So is she trying to draw herself as a cow or a bull? And since Arakawa grew up on a dairy farm she should know the difference. [/quote]

Actually, cows do have horns, but little ones (at least Spanish cows XD)
[/quote]

I second that. Cows, at least in Spain, do have smaller horns. As a matter of fact, if she was drawing herself as a bull, those'd look certainly weird, and 'cowly' to me.

[quote name='NeoKakashi' date='Oct 20 2005, 10:20 PM' post='302214']
http://www.hagarenbbs.org/viewthread.php?tid=370&fpage=1

It's in Japanese, though >_<
[/quote]

Darn for it being in Chinese, but thanks a lot, NeoKakashi! smile.gif

[quote name='What, no bacon?' date='Oct 20 2005, 11:13 PM' post='302242']
[quote post='302221' date='Oct 20 2005, 04:39 PM' name='MasterKris']
Very cute, slight details and those chibis with the humor, I kinda find it impossible for a man to think of that way and draw it that way. (Men particuarly DON'T draw that kind of stuff, they're more good at drawing action)
[/quote]
That's where you're wrong. It's not a male mangaka characteristic, it's a characteristic of shonen manga in general. 'Serious' manga is just as gender-neutral.
[/quote]

And KareKano is done by a man... My advice is, don't follow conventionalisms or stereotypes such as "women are more -sth-", "men are more -sth else-", "the feminine touch" and similar BS. Everybody is different and unique, people!

[quote name='Jellybean' date='Oct 21 2005, 04:13 AM' post='302471']
I think this has already been posted on these boards somewhere, but here's a more recent short of hers, for those of you looking for more Arakawa-sensei works.

Raiden 18
[/quote]

Which comes to show she loves her chara designs: There you have one Ran fan, one Scar, one Lust/Riza (Je t'aime II laugh.gif) and one Mustang (the guy who made her). And I think the Tournament announcer looks a lot like good ol' Joliot Comanche, the Silver Alchemist, If I remember right.

[quote name='What, no bacon?' date='Oct 21 2005, 04:22 AM' post='302478']
Ugh. I can't stand Yebyosh's translations.[/quote]

Oooh, why? The guy has a weird English, yes, but he has the good point that he tries to be as close as possible to the original. Even when he finds a phrase joke or pun difficult to translate or when he takes artistic licenses, whatsoever, he makes a note telling you so, and telling you what the original said so you can make a judgement of your own if you don't like his version. Not like many other translators where you have to take for true what they give you when they might've went wrong somewhere. (Cautious note: Hey CSakuraS and Umeko, if you happen to read this, I'm not refering to you... tongue.gif)

Yes, I am an Original Version whore happy.gifU (sub > dub anytime!). I'm learning Japanese right now because of it.

[quote name='Guest' date='Oct 21 2005, 06:06 AM' post='302537']
[quote name='What, no bacon?' date='Oct 21 2005, 04:22 AM' post='302478']
Whoa, for a woman, Arakawa's not shy about drawing guro images, eh? laugh.gif
[/quote]

guro? o_O
[/quote]

Gore. To ka na...

EDIT: GDDMND quoting! Argh! mad.gif

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 21 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #97

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 11,740

@sensenic: You... are a man..? (now he/she hits me XD)

And KareKano is done by a man... My advice is, don't follow conventionalisms or stereotypes such as "women are more -sth-", "men are more -sth else-", "the feminine touch" and similar BS. Everybody is different and unique, people!

...... O.o!!!!!

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My little sis-SsleepyAlly
My other little sis XD-Satsuka
My OTHER little sis XD-Seventh Sky
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 21 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #98

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Oct 21 2005, 05:05 AM) [snapback]302641[/snapback]

Yes, I am an Original Version whore happy.gifU (sub > dub anytime!). I'm learning Japanese right now because of it.

I bow to your devotion!! **kowtowing** happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 21 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #99

Yes, I am an Original Version whore U (sub > dub anytime!). I'm learning Japanese right now because of it.

[offtopic]I started learning japanese because of it too!! I love the dubbing, but sincerely, the dubbing of the anime here in spain just... I won't say the word XD i personally don't usually like it. that's why I give my best when dubbing something ^^ [/offtopic]

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Oct 22 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #100

QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 22 2005, 12:42 AM) [snapback]302791[/snapback]

@sensenic: You... are a man..? (now he/she hits me XD)

...... O.o!!!!!

sleep.gif.....
*hits Reika*
*not really* tongue.gif
But, tu quoque, Reika? huh.gif Was it because the avatar or sth else? Boy I'm starting to wonder things...

As for Karekano: ooops, my bad. I recall reading it somewhere, but it seems I was wrong. Checked it now and it was made by a woman happy.gifU.
But I still say that everyone is different and unique and gender doesn't necessarily determine things.
QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 22 2005, 01:02 AM) [snapback]302801[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sensenic @ Oct 21 2005, 05:05 AM) [snapback]302641[/snapback]

I bow to your devotion!! **kowtowing** happy.gif

What does "kowtow" mean? happy.gif;
QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 22 2005, 01:06 AM) [snapback]302806[/snapback]

Yes, I am an Original Version whore U (sub > dub anytime!). I'm learning Japanese right now because of it.

[offtopic]I started learning japanese because of it too!! I love the dubbing, but sincerely, the dubbing of the anime here in spain just... I won't say the word XD i personally don't usually like it. that's why I give my best when dubbing something ^^ [/offtopic]

Ah, so you are a dubbing actress? What do you dub, and for who (official, fan dub, sth else)?

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Oct 22 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #101

Member No.: 3,267

Avatars mean nothing -> I "represent" myself as Yomiko from ROD, and because of that (my guess) someone mistook me by a woman. happy.gif
Even if she was a man, he could've chosen a cow because of the farm origins anyway... Bulls are, somewhat, less "famous" or "funny-looking" than cows (eh... dunno how to say it. That phrase was pathetic. Whatever happy.gifU)

Avatars and drawing yourself as a symbol are two different things. People might choose avatars to represent themselves but more often than not they choose an avatar of a favorite character. Arakawa actually draws herself as a cow, there in lies the difference. However I don't really think the cow symbol proves whether Arakawa is a male or female, I was just being silly. tongue.gif

Neverthless I do think she is female. I am pretty sure it was confirmed. Although don't ask me where to find this. I am sure some of the Japanese speakers here would have a better chance of finding this information.

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 22 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #102

sleep.gif.....
*hits Reika*
*not really* tongue.gif
But, tu quoque, Reika? huh.gif Was it because the avatar or sth else? Boy I'm starting to wonder things...

As for Karekano: ooops, my bad. I recall reading it somewhere, but it seems I was wrong. Checked it now and it was made by a woman happy.gifU.
But I still say that everyone is different and unique and gender doesn't necessarily determine things.

^^U.... maybe it was because of the avatar or... your way of speaking? >.<sorry!! don't hit me!!!!!! XDDDD

Ah, so you are a dubbing actress? What do you dub, and for who (official, fan dub, sth else)?

yup ^^ among other things xD. I usually dub radio "cuñas" and anime characters (a little bit of everything, but right now I'm not moving a single finger because I just started learning "sound")

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Sensenic
post Oct 22 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #103

QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 22 2005, 07:22 PM) [snapback]303046[/snapback]

Avatars and drawing yourself as a symbol are two different things.

No. You're mistaking the usual Internet fandome definition of 'Avatar' (pic that appears under the nick in the forums happy.gif) than the more generic one: Sth, an image, that you believe that represents you, or with which you want to be associated. Or similiar happy.gif
Arakawa's Avatar is a cow... Gosho Aoyama's is a pear-headed-with-glasses guy, Akira Toriyama's were a bird, a robot and a masked guy, all through Dr. Slump, etc.

Plus, I was not the one to use the word "Avatar" first.
QUOTE(Kirara @ Oct 22 2005, 07:22 PM) [snapback]303046[/snapback]

Neverthless I do think she is female. I am pretty sure it was confirmed. Although don't ask me where to find this. I am sure some of the Japanese speakers here would have a better chance of finding this information.

I think the same. It's just that it's still too ambiguous for me. But until I'm proven otherwise, I'll believe she's a woman too.
As for the Japanese speakers, nothing to say but, "w0rd". happy.gif

To Reika: We posted at the same time tongue.gif
EDIT: Wow, if you make 2 consecutive posts, the forum merges them into 1. Cool!
QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 22 2005, 08:30 PM) [snapback]303057[/snapback]

sleep.gif.....
*hits Reika*
*not really* tongue.gif

^^U.... maybe it was because of the avatar or... your way of speaking? >.<sorry!! don't hit me!!!!!! XDDDD

Way of speaking? Are? blink.gif

Oisss.... pero que cosas dicesssss, chicaaa....
-ehem- sleep.gif Perdón.
QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 22 2005, 08:30 PM) [snapback]303057[/snapback]

yup ^^ among other things xD. I usually dub radio "cuñas" and anime characters (a little bit of everything, but right now I'm not moving a single finger because I just started learning "sound")

Oh, but do you do official dubs? For who? Oshiete kure! Wanna hear you, if possible happy.gif

--------------------
貧乳神・・・

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 22 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #104

XDDDDDD por qué no seguimos hablando por privados, sensenic?

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Jonouchi
post Oct 22 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #105

Citizen

Member No.: 16,340

I think Arakawa is a female mainly because of this IPB Image. Would a male draw himself in those?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css