Parting Gift, My most famous Ed/Win
Chiyo
post Oct 13 2005, 05:44 AM
Post #1

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,466

Parting Gift

The first chapter of this fic is of smutty content...do not read unless you know what I'm talking about.

I can't remember if I ever posted much of this on here but I shall anyway. Like I say it's all posted on the link but if you wish for cliffys and all that I'll post each chapter on here for you to read. I never liked this story at first but people seemed to love the first chapter so I kept going. Then going, and going etc until before I knew it this fic was 26000 words long!

I shall begin with the second and third chapter as the first is smutty. This is set in the time Ed in is Munich and after he comes back (this was written before the movie came out so no real spoilers....its all me). Ed/Win of course as what isn't with me. Its done pretty well of fanfiction, lets see what you lot think.

That while came and went quicker than she had hoped. Paninya was the first to notice after being on the receiving end of Winrys mood swings for too frequently for it to be the normal monthly female event. Dominique was clueless until the bump on her stomach was clearly something other then normal weight gain. She had been eating the strangest combination of food recently but not knowing the girl that well he kept his thoughts to himself.

Paninya tried desperately to get Winry to confess to her family but she flat refused to do so. She feared so much the judgment that would come down on her. Dominique lectured her on how ridiculous it was to think she could hide a baby from her family. She wouldn’t listen to them but promised to get out of their hair once the baby was born.

Poor Winry was collapsing inside. Secretly she had expected Ed to come back pretty soon. Al had left village to learn alchemy all over again, and as far as she knew Rose had returned to her people. Her heart ached to picture Pinako alone in the house with only Den for company but she could also picture her face if Winry were to turn up at the door as she was. No, it would be an easier blow if she were to have the baby first and be providing for it. She would journey to central for there was one household that she knew would take her in. One thing that could always bring a smile to her face was the image of a delighted little Elysia becoming a surrogate big sister as Winry had been to her.

At six months pregnant Winry finally decided it was time to leave the home she had taken place in. The pair were not happy to part with her in the condition that she was in at the time but they had checked with Gracier and they were assured she would take care of her. Dominique held back with all his might the urge to call her family. It was hard but it was also ultimately Winrys choice.

The train journey was uncomfortable to say the least. Her back ached almost constantly now and the movement kept making her feel like she needed to use the bathroom. It would take a few hours for her to reach central so she began to sketch auto-mail designs again.

‘That’s an odd sight,’ a voice said.

Winry looked up. Standing over her was a girl a few years younger then she. She had a beaming grin on her face and her eyes sparkled with youth behind her glasses. She seemed innocent enough but she had hit a raw nerve.

‘Many girls my age have a baby and I don’t see what it has to do with you…’

‘Nah, I don’t mean that. I meant a girl studying auto-mail…and a pregnant girl on a train alone, if you don’t mind me saying.’

‘I do,’ Winry sighed and got back to her work. Yet the girl did not leave and confidently placed herself directly opposite Winry.

‘Can I help you?’

‘I was jus’ lookin’ is all, those pictures are really clever. Do you make it too?’

Winry studied her for a moment. Her blonde hair was slightly messy but her clothing was smart enough. She wasn’t a threat and may even turn into a welcome relief.

‘I do yes, it’s my job and I love it.’

‘Mus’ be a bit hard while you’re ‘avin a baby.’

‘A little I guess, but I won’t be able to at all when the baby is born,’ Winry sighed. The thought that she would have to cast aside auto-mail for some years pulled at her heartstrings. But then the small life moved inside of her and she hoped it would all be worth.

‘Can’t the father help?’

‘H…he’s not with us anymore.’

The girl took a gasp, ‘Oh my God I’m sorry, I shouldn’ ave asked. Oh me and me big mouth. Was it cause of what happened with them remainin’ Ishbals?’

‘Not really no. He isn’t dead, or at least I don’t believe he is, and he will come back…’

It was an odd sensation letting out all of her feelings to this stranger but it was the safest thing to do. They would never meet again and the girls brightness and scantiness reminded her of herself. Least of who she had once been.

They chatted for a about another half hour before her mother called for her. This girl, Liz to be precise, had been the relief Winry had hoped for and more so. She had let out a lot of what was bottled up and had not once been asked who the father was. Childhood was still innocent in places and she hoped Liz would have a good life. She had a mother, father, and younger brother so had the recipe for a happy home. Yet Winry knew all to well and mix could make a happy home.

She would endeavour to find Al. Even if the baby did not have a father for the moment it would certainly have an Uncle. And a very, very loving one at that.

She still wasn’t keen on central but she was able to cope with the crowd. Most people were very kind to a pregnant woman while others gave her a disapproving look. True that seventeen was young to be having a child but what was it to them.

Before she had even started up the path toward the house Elysia came bursting out of it. She ran toward Winry and top speed but then halted upon noticing the bulge that was Winrys stomach.

‘Big sister? Are you going to stay with us?’ the little girl squeaked not quite sure how to react. She didn’t fully understand but she wasn’t sure if she could hug Winry or not. Winry sensed this and grabbed hold of the little girl and answered her question.

Elysia led her into the house where Gracier was waiting for her. She beamed at Winry and embraced her as a mother would. With hormones out of control Winry fought to hold back the tears. This would be a good home until she had decided what to do after the baby was born.
The time passed her by as quickly as it had before. She spent her time helping around the house and caring for Elysia. She was nervous to go outside as somebody might recognise her. She had inquired over the phone as to Als whereabouts. Unfortunately news had reached Roy Mustang that she was around and he had decided to pay her a visit. She had forgiven him for what he had done but she did not want him to find her like this. Sadly it was too late as he paid her a visit that very day.

She was sat in the living room when he walked in together with Riza. Much like Elysia had they stopped dead in their tracks and stared at her a moment. Then Riza cleared her throat.

‘It’s nice to see you again Miss Rockbell,’ she said, extended her hand in a very correct manner.

As they sat down she could see the desperation in Roy for him to say something. She sighed and waited to see how long he could hold out. Riza was being polite but was also eager to confirm what they both thought.

‘So what do you plan to do in Central Winry?’

‘Oh, well I am not too sure really. I want to find Al as soon as possible but I don’t want to stop him from his training. I don’t want to hinder him in his…searching.’

Once Ed had come into conversation Roy could not hold it in any longer.

‘Is the baby his?’

Winry had been expecting the question yet she did not know how to answer. She nodded her head slowly but remained silent. She prayed that they would not tell Pinako. From what she could tell they had visited as friends, not as military personnel. Gracier entered the room with a tray of tea in hand. She sensed from the silence that the dreaded question had been asked and she felt very defensive. Winry was in need of a mother figure at the time and she was doing the best she could. Edward had been so important to them his child was just as precious.

‘Do your family no? Does Al?’

‘No they don’t, and please don’t tell my Grandma. I will tell Al. If I saw him he would guess so I can’t hide it.’

Roy was smiling broadly which unnerved her greatly. Was he waiting to crack a joke? He didn’t seem the type to joke about this sort of thing.

‘Congratulations Miss Rockbell, you are going to give birth to a famous child,’ he finally sighed, ‘you will need to have military protection.’

‘I don’t want the public to know…’

‘Winry dear,’ Riza interrupted, ‘it will be apparent who the father is when the child is born and you can’t hide inside forever. At least let us care for you until Edward comes back.’

‘What if he doesn’t come back?’ Winry blurted out. She hadn’t planned on being so abrupt but it was an obvious statement.’

Roy was smiling again, ‘You don’t really believe that do you? The Elric brothers always came through whatever scrap they found themselves in. The bond is too strong for Al to give up and I am sure Ed is doing the same wherever he is.’

‘He doesn’t know about the baby does he Winry?’ Riza asked in a hushed voice.

It was another fear of hers. Even if he did come back would he accept being a father? She couldn’t keep him still for a moment. He was more like his father then he knew so would he up and leave just like Hohenheim had done?

‘Ed and Al love children,’ Gracier laughed, ‘If you could have seen how much Ed smiled when Elysia was born.’

‘That’s right, and he was so attached to Nina. He is an adult Winry and will take his responsibility,’ Riza sighed.

Although nothing would completely remove her worry she did feel somewhat at ease. She hadn’t though of what having the Fullmetal Alchemists baby meant to other people. He and Al had made many friends on their journey as well as enemies. Her next port of call would be Mr Armstrong who although very physically strong was as gentle as they come. He was not suited to the military and had recently left to open up a shop in Central. That was all she knew but she wanted to see him above others at the time. Roy promised to try and find Al for her and Riza vowed to come and see her any time she could. She was very grateful for their help but wondered if they were only helping because of the lineage of her child.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Winry The Alchem...
post Oct 13 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 23,500

nice i like it!!!! please tell the other chapters will be up soon?

--------------------
IPB Image

Hey yall Im Lyndsay Im a member in the Edward Elric Fanclub

IPB Image

+Quote Post
darkangelslayer
post Oct 13 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,011

Long time no see Chiyo!! Where've you been?

Another great one of course. I hope this will be as good as your other works...

Will you be posting more? Or will it be up to us to check it out on FF.net?

--------------------
IPB Image
I'm aka Anshi as dubbed by Celes *that can be used by anyone and everyone*
Celes x Anshi supporter XDD

+Quote Post
Winry The Alchem...
post Oct 13 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 23,500

i just got done reading it ff.net i love it very nice!!!!

--------------------
IPB Image

Hey yall Im Lyndsay Im a member in the Edward Elric Fanclub

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Oct 14 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #5

Moderator Emeritus

I will be posting it in here as well and editing where I need to (there is smut after all).

Glad to be back

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyco girl
post Oct 14 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 7,070

So glad you're back. I remember seeing that you continued the fic but didn't read it due to my utter laziness ^^" Wonderful job and... welcome back!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
edwardasakura18
post Oct 30 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 20,847

bravo chiyo bravo!i thoroughly enjoyed that happy.gif yaaay... warm fuzzies.. oh edward please come back soon!

--------------------
"your flesh and your soul, i will burn everything.you will disappear.not even a trace" - hao

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 4 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Moderator Emeritus

So glad some of you are taking a shine to this...so hear is some more for you.

Armstrong for once decided he would avoid embracing someone he so really wanted to. The last thing he had expected that day was for Miss Winry to turn up on his doorstep, let alone heavily pregnant. Yet he was a polite man and did not bring it up. If she wanted to tell him she would in her own good time. He had his suspicions anyway.
Winry glanced around the shop that Mr Armstrong had built. It was full of all sorts of crafts mostly made of wood and stone. There were small models surrounding the room, mostly of animals but some of people she had seen round the town. Today it was raining so few people were walking around which suited her down to the ground. Not too many people recognised her but it would only take one person to give out the cry then she would be swamped. Armstrong had not said a word which if anything encouraged her to tell him out right. His eyes filled up with tears as she confirmed what he had been thinking. She poured him some tea, almost laughing at the absurdity of this bulk of a man in tears.
‘Miss Winry will you excuse me a moment,’ he asked and left to go into a separate room. He arrived a few moments later with a two packages in his hand. One had Mrs Hughes name on it, the other had hers.
‘Please open this when you get home and give this to Mrs Hughes,’ he said, tears still shining in his bright blue eyes. She nodded and thanked him, desperately wanting to open her gift. They sat and talked about his work for some hours more. She delighted in hearing it all and even managed to hear some tales of Al. According to Armstrong he was easily picking up all his alchemy skill but he still had no memory of any of them. At this Armstrong began to well up again but Winry held onto his hand. He smiled down at her and again an evil thought crept into her mind. Was Armstrong too only concerned for her and the child because it was Edwards? He didn’t seem the type to think such things but as he waved her off it was all she could think about.
While in bed she finally got the chance to open her package. It was carefully wrapped but it felt like a wooden figure inside. From the shape she guessed it was the model of a person, perhaps the one of a woman she had commented on. They were all so full of detail she could swear they would all come to life one night and raid the town. What a childish thing to think, she thought.
She unwrapped the last layer. Inside was a figure but of a person she knew well. Boots that looked to big, small stature, hair in a braid and intense, stern eyes. She held the object in her hands for a moment, wishing with all her might that it would come to life, before breaking down into a flood of bitter tears.
After another month had passed she finally received the call she had been waiting for. Al had been tracked down and he was now on his way to Central. As far as she was aware he still was unaware of her pregnancy. Roy had kept his promise and the military kept a close eye on her but not so they were intrusive. She had mixed feelings about the security but wanted to do the best for her child. That is what Rose had done. Al had been so good with Jack she sighed at the very memory. She wondered what he would think of being an uncle mores-o then how she thought about how Ed would take the news. It was likely to be because Al was at least still in their world.
She was banned from the train station so Gracier volunteered to join Riza on the platform to meet the young alchemist. He too was very important to everyone although he had no recollection of any of them. She would help him get his memories back somehow. She would be damned if he forgot everything after the worry he and his brother put her through.
Elysia sat on the floor in front of Winry and drew pictures. She was a delightful child, bright and innocent, always with a smile across her face. She knew her daddy was gone but she loved him all the same and said goodnight to his picture that hung in her room. She was still slightly timid around Roy but he had accepted that now. Winry noticed she sometimes drew pictures of him next to her Hughes, understanding the friendship in the way only a child could.
After an hour she finally heard a car draw up outside. It was odd, but she was nervous about seeing Al, wondering if he would be upset that she hadn’t told him. No such thoughts had flared up before but now they consumed her as all her worries tended too. It was Elysia who went to the door first.
She stood and waited listening to the voices. She heard Havock and Riza say farewell, she heard Al embracing Elysia and she even heard Izumi complimenting Gracier on a beautiful home. She hadn’t expected to see their sensei as well.
They were still chatting as the entered the room and saw her standing their. Much like the others there was a moment of total silence, as if the slightest noise would break the world in two. The first to make some form of disturbance was the most silent of all.
‘Oh,’ Winry cried as the baby inside her kicked out in protest at its mothers anxiety. She looked back up to see Al walking over to her.
‘Winry, can I touch your stomach?’
She nodded, truly moved at the unwavering gentleness of the boy she had known all her life. He carefully placed two hands on her stomach in time to feel another outburst from the life within. He grinned broadly and cried with delight, looking up at her with sparkling eyes.
‘So Edward remains with us not only via his brother.’
She blushed as Izumi said these words. Was it so clear that it would be his child? How many people guessed how much she felt for Ed? It was verging on pathetic but nobody had shot her down. People had given her disapproving looks but they had all been strangers to her. Everyone else seemed genuinely concerned but happy for her. Al had now taken to resting his head on her swollen belly as if wishing to hear a baby cry.
‘Winry, I’m going to be an Uncle!’
Her fears lifting for the time being she embraced her spiritual brother. He was such a kind and unselfish spirit. All he was doing now was in search of his brother, believing with all his heart he could bring his brother back. She hoped that now he knew it would give him a new burst of energy. He had promised Winry he would bring brother back as if he knew Edward was needed by all of them.

Al wanted to stay until the baby was born but it unnerved Winry how much he mentioned Aunt Pinako. She could swear he was going to tell her as soon as he could, not understanding how vital it was she didn’t know. It seemed few people understood why she wasn’t going to tell Aunt Pinako. That was except for Izumi who seemed to know more then Winry did. She explained that Winry was worried that somehow the pregnancy would be stopped by her grandmother if she found out. Perhaps she would give the baby away and demand Winry never sees it. That was not ever going to happen but a mother is overly protective of her child, no matter who opposes it. Izumi was speaking from experience so Winry never questioned it.
She was becoming less able to do anything by the day. If she wasn’t going to the toilet she had to sit down because her back hurt. It pulled at her lower back and she was now only able to walk with a waddle. She was informed it was because the baby had turned itself in preparation for being born. Gracier was able to sympathise with poor Winry and made her life as comfortable as possible. Winry appreciated it but hated the idea of being wrapped up in cotton wool. Her life was being taken away from her by another and it was frustrating. Her mood swings now usually consisted and crying or throwing something across the room. The only time she was at total piece was around Elysia, the main reason being she didn’t want to upset the child. Al would often sit with her and take whatever came his way because of how happy he was. The moment the baby was born he would carry on his quest, but right now he was needed even if Winry did tell him to clear off most of the time.
She often thought of Edward and what he was doing at the time. He was blissfully unaware that his child was about to be brought into the world. As if the child knew she would often kick when her mother became too distressed, knocking her out of her thoughts. It was as if the baby was trying to tell her that it was the most important thing at that time and that it was not doing it any good having a stressful mother. She laughed thinking her unborn child was already showing traits of its father. Then of course she would begin to cry again and relive the last moments she had spent with Edward.
She had no idea of the sex of the child but she was told that girls kicked more. Secretly she did wish for a little girl but she guessed that most mothers did. But then if she had a boy she was sure Rose still had some of Jacks old clothes. That caused Winry to cry again as it did nothing but remind her of her dear home so many miles away. The countryside was so beautiful and it had been too long since she had truly appreciated it. The city was both heaven and hell rolled into one but she had no chance of escape.
When the ninth month arrived everybody was on tenterhooks. Winry was rarely left alone and Riza was visiting almost everyday. Apparently she didn’t have very much work to do at the time and she was there on behalf of Mustang. They believed her to a degree, Roy was excited but so was Riza. Mustang had taken the news amazingly well. He cared a lot for Edward even if no-one would ever know just how much. Mustang had almost entirely dedicated his life to his work and didn’t want Fullmetal to do the same. With a baby (if he ever came back) Edward would be allowed leave to care for his child. So he kept his good eye on Edwards childhood sweetheart from a distance, he was afraid of pregnant women.
All the same Winry wished it would all be over. She dreaded the pain she was going to go through but despised the waiting even more. Al would sit and sing to her and the baby to calm her and often it worked. She knew it was a song his mother used to sing to him and wondered what Trisha would think of this situation. She had been quite young when she had given birth to Edward and no-one seemed to mind. She also wondered how Hohenheim had taken the news when he found out he was going to be a father. Then she would try and cast the thought out of her head, remembering he had left his wife and kids without any notice of where he was going. Everyday until her death Trisha had waited for him to return to them, believing full well that he would. Winry would not be so foolish, she knew there was every chance her child would never meet its father.
Gracier walked into Winrys bedroom that one fateful morning to find her on her knees. She was holding a hand to her stomach and breathing heavily.
‘Riza, get the doctor, now!’
She was eased into the bed but nothing helped. The pain was like no other she had ever suffered, other then that in her heart. She felt like her lower half was being continually squeezed and she desperately wanted to push the pain away. Gracier demanded she wait until the doctor arrive and kept a damp cloth on her forehead. Every other breath as a low, inhuman moan as the pain seared through her young body. She screamed in frustration at being left to cope with this alone.

Somewhere across the sands of time and space, a young man is sitting at a desk. He is surrounded by paperwork full of scribbles of memories he desperately held on to.
Suddenly he felt terrible cramp in his lower gut. It was like somebody had punched him hard and he felt his heartbeat there.
‘Are you okay Edward?’
‘Err, yea I think, must be sympathy pains.’

Al sat outside Winrys room trying to block out the sound of her pain. He could see flashes of Gracier lying down, screaming in the same way. There was a little girl there too, and his dear brother who couldn’t have been more than thirteen. They were all in a panic and didn’t know what to do. Was this a true memory? He would have to ask Gracier when he got the chance.
There was another scream of agony before the doctor strode into the room. Izumi eased Al to his feet and away from the door. He was with her in spirit and it would do her no good if he passed out by her door.
Winry wasn’t too aware of the doctor arriving but she knew now she had to push with all her might. The pain, too severe to contemplate, was only added to by not having any family by her side. Gracier couldn’t have been more helpful, but she was her real mother.
With a final scream Winry felt the pain slip away from her finally. Barely able to keep her eyes open, she heard a feint cry. The doctor held a bundle in his arms and smiled broadly at her.
‘Congratulations, it’s a girl.’
He placed the tiny life in her arms. She looked down on her baby and cried with relief. She was fine, she was safe and she was hers. The baby stirred by on the whole remained quiet. Her hair was soft on shined of her mothers colour. After a moment or two the doctor took the new arrival away to be washed.
Winry was exhausted. She felt Gracier stroking her hair and as much as she didn’t want to, she fell into a peaceful sleep.

‘Edward, are you crying?’
‘No, well I am, but I don’t know why. I feel like…I don’t know…like I couldn’t be happier,’ he laughed, ‘but I have no reason to be, it’s just come up from no-where.’
He sat down and cradled his head in his hands. He did feel intense joy but there was no explanation as to why. He spent a moment or two gathering himself together, wiping away his involuntary tears. Nobody knew this but it wasn’t the first time he had felt a wave of emotion. Hope, sadness, sheer delight all came at the most random time. He put it down to stress and the constant wish to be home. To see his brothers smile, to smell Pinakos cooking, to feel her warmth cuddled next to him.

Winry held the child to her breast and she took in her mothers milk. Winry was sore all over but somehow it was all worth it. She had been praised for her hard work and was surrounded by gifts for her and the new arrival. Al had added his own gift, a teddy bear that he himself had alchemised. She had placed that in the cot Armstrong had sent her which was beautiful in itself. The object she had delivered to Gracier on behalf of Armstrong was the final part of the cot. It was a beautiful wooden bird that stood at the top of the cot looking over the baby. She was proud to place her sleeping baby in the safety of something created out of love.
Once the baby had settled Winry sat down and began to write a letter. She had written many of these letters but they all ended up in the same state.

Edward

I do not blame you for not making it to the birth but it is a shame you missed the event. You will never know how much I needed you there for I will never admit it to myself.
Our little girl is beautiful and you should be proud that you helped create something so wonderful. When she looks up at me I see sadness in her eyes and I know she wants to be held in your strong arms.
The military have been so kind to me but I know that only because this little girl carries your genes .Still I am proud that she does but must hide it for now. Izumi says she feels old as she saw you and Al as her own children. Now her child has a child of his own.
I hope Al will have many children when he is older for I have never seen anyone so careful with a child before. He holds our little girl with a delicacy rarely found in those of his age. I know she will love him dearly, but he will never be able to replace you Edward.
When you come back you had better be prepared for a real beating. How dare you make me weak Edward Elric. How dare you make me love you like I do.
Winry

She took the letter into the garden, checked that all was quiet, and burnt the letter as she had all the others she had written.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ed's numbuh ...
post Nov 5 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 19,705

i read this story on fanfiction. net
very nice i really love it smile.gif

--------------------

I made my signature, tell me what you think! (Avatar wasn't by me.)
COF banner coming soon.
I Make Signatures!! Go to my sig shop if ya want one ; )
- ~:.:My Lovely Forum Familly:.:~
~Is a proud Risembool Ranger~

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 21 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #10

Moderator Emeritus

Even if only a few read this here, I may as well carry on posting tongue.gif

Even after two days a name had still not been decided for the new arrival as Winry was really not sure. Plenty of people had suggested names to her but not one of them seemed to fit. Winry was pouring heart and soul into being a mother and she was already exhausted. Her breasts were swollen and sore and she was constantly on the move. Yet all the same she could not have been happier or more proud of herself for creating such a beautiful human being. The others helped out when they felt it was necessary as Winry was still weak from giving birth. Al took to the uncle role like a duck to water and used his alchemy often wherever he could. Elysia would play with the baby girl, and burst out into fits of giggles if the baby ever made a noise.
She was also incredibly scared. There was a life that depended solely on her and if she were to do anything wrong that could end up with her…. She tried to cast evil thoughts from her head but it never stopped the fear. The conflicting emotions that ran through her teenage body threatened to beak her down but the constant stream of guests kept her above water.
On the third day Roy stopped by to visit. He was apprehensive when asked, but was still delighted to hold the baby. She fell silent in his arms as he rocked her back and forth while Riza congratulated Winry on behalf of all those in the military who knew Ed. Ross and Broch would be arriving sometime in the next few days much to the delight if Winry who had missed their bickering.
Roy handed back the child when she began to protest through hunger. Letting her go he thanked the baby for gracing the world with her presence.
Thus baby Grace was finally christened. Visitors came and went regularly to see the arrival grow, bringing gifts for the child and her tired mother. Ross and Broch had bought and dress for Grace and chocolates for Winry. Their gifts could not have been more perfect. Schezka of course, bought a book and was adamant it should be read to Grace as much as possible. That way she would learn to love books and Schezka would never be stuck for a gift.
The public began to notice a new child with very distinct eyes. It would only take one person to walk past the house and see Winry in the front garden with Grace. It would ripple through the community and soon people would walk by the house to see if the rumour was true. Winry was assured the military would keep an eye on things to make sure it didn’t get out of hand. All the same, flowers would arrive without a sender’s name.

As he walked through the crowded streets he did not seem to notice people smiling at him. It was as if they knew something he didn’t and it would have unnerved him had he only been paying attention. On a sudden impulse he had bought a small teddy bear although he had no idea what to do with it. It sat solemnly in its brown paper bag as if it knew it had no real reason to be. Edward felt he would hold onto it all the same. Heck, if he ever made it back, he knew of several homes that would be happy to take in an unloved bear.
‘What have you been up to?
‘I just went for a walk.’
‘You have the smuggest look on your face Ed, like you’ve achieved something wonderful.’
‘Well it would be even more wonderful if I knew why. I feel smug but…’
There was a brief pause as Ed stood and pondered his odd behaviour that was once again being noticed by others.
‘What’s in the bag?’
‘A bear for the baby,’ Edward replied once again falling into dream world.
‘What baby?’
Ed took a moment to recompose himself before scrambling an answer together.
‘Whichever one comes along first…and emergency gift, maybe a bribe,’ he stuttered. Where on earth had he thought of a baby?
‘Oh, some letters have arrived, they’re on the table.’
Edward walked over and picked up the bundle. They had no address on them, only his name. When he came to opening them he had a whole new puzzle to play with. Each sheet of paper was completely blank yet somehow they felt significant. This world was a strange place and it was a strange time, but some things were pushing it.

The day came when Al was set to leave. He and Izumi were not looking forward to their last moments with Grace but they knew to had to come. They knew now that the importance to find the father was greater then ever before. Before he left Al made one final request.
‘Please tell Aunt Pinako Winry. She must be missing you and she will want to know her granddaughter.’
Winry looked into his sorrowful eyes and caved in. She craved her own bed and her family around her. She had found a good home and family in Central but they were not her own. Wherever she went she would be reminded that he was not there, but home was a far safer place for her to dwell. It was cruel to keep Grace away from the home she should know.
‘I promise you Al. I will leave the moment Grace and I are fit to travel.’
He left in higher spirits after that and she was left with hope in her heart. She held onto that hope as strongly as she held onto her daughter
A year had now nearly passed since she had been home. She had spoken many times to Pinako on the phone but still did not have the guts to tell her about Grace. She could hear the pain in her grandmothers voice. Rose had left so she only had Den for company bar the odd customer.
The day came and many came to wave her goodbye. Grace seemed entranced by the big noisy machines all around her and this kept her quiet. She packed her own small case into the carriage as everything else would arrive separately.
She waved a tearful goodbye as they began to speed off. She had a painful sense of déjà vu, the last time she had waved farewell to the same group Hughes and been there, and so had Edward. Baby Grace looked up at her with her beautiful wide eyes and reminded her there was no need to be sad for she was there to be the apple of her mothers eye.
Winry became aware of people passing through her carriage quite often for no apparent reason. She tried to ignore it and carried on reading her book, Grace cradled in her other arm. It became all too much when people attempted to subtly point at her but were quite blatant in doing so.
Finally a beautiful young woman pushed Winry over the edge. She stood next to Winry and cleared her throat.
‘I don’t believe it is any of your concern that I am a lone, young mother…’
‘A baby Elric is it?’
Winry looked up at her in surprise. The woman was indeed beautiful. Her hair was a honey brown and her eyes sparkled emerald. She looked gentle but Winry was suspicious.
‘No need to fear me. I just came over to confirm what I have heard in the other carriages. I didn’t believe the rumour but with eyes like that, she could only be one person’s daughter.’
‘It is nobodies business,’ Winry snapped, unsure why she was so angry.
‘Well, keep up the good work, I’ve never seen such a calm and quiet baby. You must be a good mother.’
She turned to walk away and Winry felt the guilt creep up her spine, ‘Wait…’
They spent the remainder of Winrys journey talking. It was a comfort to hear a tale from events back then. The woman never mentioned her real name, but she said Winry may hear of Psiren. Winry took a note of the name and would see if Al recalled it. Before she knew it they had pulled into her little village train station. She stood on the platform for what seemed hours before she built up the courage to head for home.
With only a small bag and a baby in her arms she felt out of place. Her other things were being sent home and she carried only the essentials which made her feel like a visitor on her own lands. She passed a couple of people who seemed too shocked to say anything to her. She glowed in embarrassment and was almost pleased they did not speak. She was caught between a rock and a hot place. She didn’t want anyone else to see her but her only sanctity from them was home where she also dreaded to be.
The path toward her home looked so much longer now. Like a man condemned she began the stroll to the front door. There were no sounds; no sign of Den and all around was still. She felt unnerved and sped up her pace.
Opening the door she still heard nothing, even after calling her grandmothers name. Placing her bag down she was at least comforted to see nothing inside had changed either.
Grace began to squirm and it was apparent she was restless. Winry too was exhausted from her journey and ascended the stairs. She paused only for a brief a moment when she finally heard something.
‘Grandma, are you here?’
‘I am in here, Winry dear.’
She followed the voice and carefully pushed the door open. Sat next to a cot was her grandmother with a baby blanket in her arms.
‘Bring Grace over to me.’
Winry did not move through the shock that swept over her. Grandmother knew all about the baby? Pinakos demeanour was calm and Winry could feel no anger coming from her grandmother.
‘You cannot blame Al for telling me. It was a huge responsibility to ask him to keep your pregnancy a secret.’
‘When did he tell you?’ Winry managed to croak.
‘They day he found out. Come now, hand me the child.’
Winry walked over to her grandmother and handed Pinako her great-granddaughter. The elderly woman wrapped the baby up and placed her into the cot before turning back to Winry.
‘I…I’m so sorry granny, I didn’t know what to say,’ Winry gasped, succumbing to tears. Pinako who had never been one to show her emotions comforted her granddaughter.
‘Winry dear you were scared. Now I hope you can tell me all…’
After many cups of tea and Grace taking her feed Winry had finally told her grandmother all she could. Den who had been sleeping all the time placed himself carefully by the crib to guard baby Grace as she slept.
‘I guess you must be angry at me for being so careless.’
‘You were careless there is no two ways about it. Yet I trust that both you and Edward knew what you were doing. I wonder if it has crossed his mind that you didn’t use any protection. Still, a baby isn’t that easy to conceive. You were unlucky.’
‘No, I was lucky grandma.’
There was a pause as the both drunk their tea. Grace was indeed a blessing but she would also now take over Winrys life.
‘Now you will wait for them again?’ Pinako finally asked.
‘Waiting, as much as I hate it, it’s all I can do now.’
‘How long will you wait though my dear?’
Winry laughed slightly and answered entirely truthfully, ‘I’ll wait forever grandma.’
She would not wait forever though; she would only have to wait another year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaizenyorii
post Nov 21 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,850

ooooooo this fic is unlike any ive seen around please keep writinggggg ph34r.gif

--------------------

please dont steal my $hit// obey the Crouch

+Quote Post
confederate_alch...
post Nov 24 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 13,881

*claps and whistles* whooot!!! very very good my friend!!! i hope Winry and Ed are reunited in the end... the story just is so emotional... you are very talented Chiyo, very talented.... kudos to you!!! *raises glass of Coke mixed with whisky**drinks it down* i encourage you to go on!!! i'll be waiting.... *disappears into the darkness with an evil laugh* ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------
<Your sig was reported as too big (tall) for this board. The Max sig space for our board,
including all texts and pics, is 500 pix wide x 300 pix high, which is this much space.
Please contain all your sig stuff within this size. Thank you!!>

"Devil May Cry" is a good name and all, but shouldn't it be more like "Devil May Kick Your Ass"?
BEHOLD MY MINI DANTE SHRINE!!!

Awww! Ain't he cute even when he's blowing demons' heads off?

~~~~~~
Pwnage XD.~~~~~~~~~~Dante taunting= he's inviting you to come get your ass kicked.
If the Elric Bros., especially Ed, hooked up with Dante, the Homonculi would be SO screwed XD.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Nov 28 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #13

Moderator Emeritus

Ok, here we go with another chapter. I am so glad some of you have taken a shine to this, I realise I blow my own trumpet by saying its my 'famous' work.

Another year passed and baby Grace was quickly developing her character. Her frown could intimidate a full grown adult but her smile could bring delight to anyone who saw it. The village loved Grace dearly and saw her as a little beacon of hope. They knew little about the events leading up to the disappearance of Edward but wanted him back all the same.

Den, although aging was the best bodyguard around as well as a great nanny. When Winry and Pinako were working hard on their auto-mail it was he would keep an eye on the child. She had found her feet and her voice all at the same time. With a hand to steady herself her and Den would explore the house and sometimes the garden.

The one day Winry was having trouble finding them. She followed the sound of her daughters high pitched giggles to a room she had avoided for a long time. It was the room the brothers used when they had lived with them many years ago. Grace had tangled herself up in a black vest that had remained under the covers of the one bed for some time now.

‘Oh Grace, look at you,’ Winry laughed walking over to her. Den barked and wagged his tale as if getting her in there had been his goal all along. Winry unravelled Grace and held the vest in her hands. She wanted nothing more then to bury her face within the cloth and breath in his smell but the inquisitive look on her child’s face but a halt to that.

‘This is daddies,’ Winry explained.

Grace had heard about daddy and seen his picture many times. Too young to understand the significance of it all she pointed to the vest.

‘D…d…da…dada,’ she mumbled. She raised her eyebrows as if expecting praise for managing to say it.

Winry wrapped the child up in her arms and fought to hold back the tears. Grace was nothing but pure innocence but she often made her mother cry. All it would take was the right look in her eye or the way she got frustrated with things. She was living proof that the memory once existed and lived among them. That’s why people loved Grace so much even if she was temperamental. In fact it was because she was temperamental that she was so loved. She was indeed her fathers daughter.

Pinako had watched Jack grow and now she was her great-granddaughter. Not only that, Winry had changed a great deal with the pressure of a life to care for. The sorrow as well as the joy had shaped her into an adult who knew about the sanctity of life more than others.

Yet she knew Winry had a burden. Pinako knew she held onto the hope Edward would come back and take on his role. She did not hold such hope and believed Winry would need to find a husband. However it would be difficult to find someone willing to take someone who was already a mother. She knew of one man who had lost his young bride and felt they would be perfect for each other. The time was approaching when she would introduce them and hopefully save her granddaughter from a lonely life. She and Den would not be around much longer.

She dreaded telling her the plain truth for she knew how much it would hurt Wiry. But the foolish girl could not waste her life. Pinako could do little about Al for the moment but he would too soon have to face the truth. Edward was gone from their lives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He had cracked it. After two years of searching for an answer he had finally cracked it. He knew a way of getting back through the gate, back to his world. He began to cry with delight at the thought of all those waiting for him. He would finally be able to see his brother again as flesh and blood. The surges of emotion had stopped recently as all his energy went into his work. Now it had finally paid off and he was heading home. He would tie up loose ends, say a quick farewell, and then be shot of Munich and that world forever.

‘I shall say goodbye then.’

‘This sounds very final Ed.’

‘It is final; you will not be seeing me again.’

The girl in front of him began to cry. He had been grateful for her company and being as clueless as he was he had not noticed she had fallen in love with him. Her dark eyes clouded over but it only stirred anger in him.

‘What will I do without you?’

He pulled himself from her grip and turned his back to her.

‘There is someone who needs me more. Carry on with your life, someone will come along and replace me.’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘No!’

‘Winry it won’t hurt you to meet him.’

‘I will not have anything to do with this!’

‘Winry he will take good care of you.’

‘I can take care of myself well enough Grandma and you know I can!’

‘Baby Grace will need a father…’

‘She has a father Grandma. I will not bring her up on a lie. We should be proud of Edward.’

‘I am Winry, but you must accept that he isn’t…’

‘He will come back! Wherever he is I know he is trying to come back. He would never desert Al or me for that matter.’

‘Are you entirely sure of that Winry?’

Winry began to choke back the tears of anger. She could not believe what her grandmother was saying to her.

‘Of…of course I am. He loves us even if he could never say it!’

‘Hohenheim loved his sons and his wife but he left them,’ Pinako sighed, her voice calming as she watched Winry slowly crumble in front if her.

‘He…he came back didn’t he? It was his choice to leave.’

‘Are you so sure Ed didn’t choose to leave as well?’

‘Grandma…he…he has to come back…for Grace,’ she coughed tears creeping down her face.

‘He doesn’t know about Grace. Winry I have no doubt he loved you but he could easily have found someone wherever he is. He was only young after all and…’

She stopped where she was. Winry was hugging herself and shaking her head. The message had got through and there was no need to speak of such things ever again.

Still shaking with tears into the evening Winry left Grace to Pinako. She needed to be entirely alone for an hour or so. She walked a path she had taken so many times as a child until she came to stop by the stream. Kneeling next to the edge to looked deeply into the dark waters surface. Her sorrowful face, eyes puffy from crying, looked back up at her. Memories flooded her weary heart until she cried them into the water and watched them flow away.

These gentle waters carried on down through the country, becoming a mighty river. It cut through villages and fields, a symbol of power and life. Nobody noticed the significance of the river until the day a miracle occurred.

A young girl, sent out to fetch food from the local store, often took the walk along the river to get to her destination. The morning sun sparkled on the surface, dancing little flecks of light. She loved to see the waters like that, calming and delicate, a wonder of Mother Nature.

Yet when she had burst into town eyes full of fear the people knew something was wrong. She claimed to have seen a man emerge from the water out of now-where. She had not seen him fall in and she had stood in the same spot for too long a time for him to have been under the water holding breath. He was clothed in nothing but his trousers and had collapsed at the waters edge. His hair, so she told them, was that of buttercups. A strong golden blonde held loosely in what remained of his pony tail. When asked why she had not seen if he was alright, the young girl cried that it all seemed inhuman, that he was not of this world.

One of the men of the town brushed it off as nonsense and called for everyone to carry on with their lives. They didn’t answer back for this man was a giant, a bulk of silent muscle. He checked where the girl had claimed to see the man emerge but found nothing but a hair band. Around this hair band was a strand of brightly coloured golden hair.

He would need to find his wife. This was something Izumi needed to know about. She had taken Al out for about an hour or two to train his fighting skills while the weather held. Calm as could be he walked across town, hair band safely hidden away in his pocket. For a brief moment he had considered the band being Als. But the colour of the blonde was too golden to be Al who had more of a mousy blonde. Sig had always been a calm man but underneath his heavy chest his heart was pounding. Had Edward really returned all of his own accord? After all the pain they had suffered could it be he had just turned up? He was aware the band and the hair could belong to anyone, or it could be Ed’s that was lost a long time ago.

What did give him hope was the young girls description of things. He had long hair; he had emerged from the water without plunging in in the first place. She had not mentioned however anything about metal limbs. This meant one of two things. A. Ed had managed to gain his own limbs or B. it simply was not Edward Elric.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaizenyorii
post Nov 28 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #14

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,850

o god no!!!!!! winry cant marry someone else!!!!!!!! the fluff must live onnnnnnnn

--------------------

please dont steal my $hit// obey the Crouch

+Quote Post
confederate_alch...
post Dec 3 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 13,881

yes, i agree. Winry cannot wmarry someone else!!!! i do hope you continue to write. i love this story!!! ta ta for now!!!! *disappears into darkness with malicious laugh*

--------------------
<Your sig was reported as too big (tall) for this board. The Max sig space for our board,
including all texts and pics, is 500 pix wide x 300 pix high, which is this much space.
Please contain all your sig stuff within this size. Thank you!!>

"Devil May Cry" is a good name and all, but shouldn't it be more like "Devil May Kick Your Ass"?
BEHOLD MY MINI DANTE SHRINE!!!

Awww! Ain't he cute even when he's blowing demons' heads off?

~~~~~~
Pwnage XD.~~~~~~~~~~Dante taunting= he's inviting you to come get your ass kicked.
If the Elric Bros., especially Ed, hooked up with Dante, the Homonculi would be SO screwed XD.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 09:55 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css