HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Question About Roy: About His Military Rank, And Related His Frame Of Mind, Etc. In The Movie, (Spoiler alert! ^)
Rating 3 V
Katana Alchemist
post Oct 27 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,512

here's the thing with you people saying you don't understand why he would be punishing himself or make rational logical decisions about how he could best serve his country.
let's review the career of roy mustang.

-he participated in an unjust war, where his combat style is BURNING PEOPLE ALIVE, including children.
-he killed unarmed doctors while they clutched a picture of their child.
-conversely, he deceived a superior (gran) by letting marcoh escape. while the right thing to do, it means he can no longer serve the military pretending to be an obediant soldier. he's betrayed both "sides" now.
-he's tried to kill himself at least twice in his early career.

let's stop right there. here's the critical part. listen carefully. when he and maes have their discussion at the beginning of episode 25 (the flashback) he's in ruins emotionally. he doesn't care for his appearance and he certainly doesn't care for his life. the guilt of his actions has gutted him. this is not the bright, charming colonel that we see throughout most of the series.
what brings him out of his depression? the pledge to change the way the country runs. i think a lot of the bright charming colonel we see throughout the series is an act. just like how you might act differently to suck up to someone and get what you want, roy is trying to act the perfect soldier and get what he wants. his demons have not gone away. his mission also helps him by distracting him so he's not focusing on all the sins he's committed in his life.

-he's brought two kids into the military. perhaps for their own good but it's not an absolutely black & white issue.
-his best friend was killed trying to help him.
-he likely feels bad for the "death" of ed elric at the end of the fma anime series. even if he wasn't directly responsible, i'm sure he feels some guilt that ed appears to be dead.

ok, now we've reached the end of the anime. his goal has been accomplished. however, now the weight of his actions in ishbal plus the mistakes and guilt he has gathered throughout the FMA anime come crashing down onto his shoulders.
he doesn't want to have anymore blood on his hands anymore by making the wrong decision. the only person he wants to be responsible for is himself. that's why he goes out there in the middle of nowhere. it's not that he thinks he can serve his country better that way.

that is why his actions are not out of character.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 27 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

I see a lot of people like katana alchemist coming up with FANTASTIC and well thought out points.

The best someone else can say is that someone who does NOT know much FMA thought it was out of character. Right smile.gif .

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 27 2005, 08:22 AM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 11,740

Ok, just one thing:

The fact that the demons are not away doesn't explain how he came to the conclussión in the end of the series that doesn't understand in the movie.

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My little sis-SsleepyAlly
My other little sis XD-Satsuka
My OTHER little sis XD-Seventh Sky
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 27 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #49

I think Katana alchemist and others already explained it. I don't know how it can be explained so coherently any further.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Katana Alchemist
post Oct 27 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #50

Citizen

a lot of people, when they are beset by depression or other problems in their lives, try to distract themselves by throwing themselves into work or hobbies or doing a whole bunch of other things. if they seem like they've gotten over things and almost appear to be functioning better than before it is because they're working hard, very hard. they do not want to slow down or have dead time that allows their problems to catch up with them.
(that's why, when someone has died, if people close to them seem to be all better and haven't mourned them at all, you shouldn't necessarily be angry at them. it may not be that they don't care, on the contrary, they're just trying hard not to let things catch up with them.)
but anyway, roy works his ass off, we know that. we know that he was near the breaking point but didn't kill himself. he took up this quest to give his life meaning.
it may seem like a big transition between awesome roy that we see throughout most of the series and the poor guy who's run away to a remote corner of the world later. he's not distracted anymore by his quest, plus he has some new things to feel guilty about as i outlined above.
roy is a natural leader and is better able to serve his country as a higher up, i'm not disagreeing with anyone on that. i think we see him realize that in the movie. he makes his entrance and saves a crumbling central under attack. it's probably not even a conscious thing. he just sees an emergency and moves to solve it. by showing him doing all this in a mere foot soldier's uniform just shows how badly that role fits him. when we see riza smiling at him, i think it's because he finally knows where he belongs and has stopped running away and she is happy for him. he's stepped back into the role he is best in.

+Quote Post
seventh_sky
post Oct 27 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 20,187

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Oct 27 2005, 01:46 AM) [snapback]305032[/snapback]

QUOTE(seventh_sky @ Oct 27 2005, 01:14 AM) [snapback]304799[/snapback]

What I was trying to say was that someone who doesn't even know that much about FMA can see that Roy's decision was way OOC!!!

Guess what seventh sky? I'm someone who DOES know much about FMA. And I can see that Roy's decision was NOT out of character. What do you have to say about that? Just wondering.

You probably don't want to know what I think about that. Enough said.

You don't need to act like everyone who thinks the fma anime isn't perfect is your personal enemy or anything. All I'm saying is that Roy's decision seems to be way out of character for him.

And at the end of the series, he smiles at Riza and tells her that the world is imperfect, and that's why it's beautiful. I don't think that's what someone who's overly depressed would say, no?

--------------------

avi by Yoshi, sig by me and Yoshi
My apprentice and fellow button klutz: ed_drink_your_milk_ // Fellow North Carolinian to Blitz!
COF member #13 // my banner is on a journey to find inner peace
My dA//.:Yoshi Supremacy:.\\My Fanfiction

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 27 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(seventh_sky @ Oct 28 2005, 01:01 AM) [snapback]305328[/snapback]

You probably don't want to know what I think about that. Enough said.

You don't need to act like everyone who thinks the fma anime isn't perfect is your personal enemy or anything. All I'm saying is that Roy's decision seems to be way out of character for him.

And at the end of the series, he smiles at Riza and tells her that the world is imperfect, and that's why it's beautiful. I don't think that's what someone who's overly depressed would say, no?

A lot can happen in two years.

Despite what he said, that doesn't mean all his mental and emotional scars were healed either. I think he said that more for Riza than for himself. He said it to make Riza feel better because she felt responsible for what happened to Mustang. There are so many layers and nuances to it and you guys don't even want to consider EXPLORING it. You just want to say, OUT OF CHARACTER.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Katana Alchemist
post Oct 27 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #53

Citizen

i don't think anyone is saying that the minute roy killed bradley he instantly became depressed. as we've been trying to stress all along. roy is a human being. when we see him recovering he's undoubtedly happy that his goal has been accomplished. however, i would like to see the scene where roy is finally discharged from care of the hospital and done with all the political and legal ramifications of killing a head of state. i bet then that we'll see a conflict. the roy, even at the very end of the series is still distracted. he's happy that he accomplished his goal. also important, he's trying to cheer up riza (and maybe put some of his moves on her).
however, once he has a bit of dead time after all the chaos of bradley's death dies down, we see the conflict that we are speaking of.

+Quote Post
Ladymercury
post Oct 28 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #54

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,753

Since no one has debated what I wrote and since this is just running around in circles, I just leave you with my closing statement <3

IPB Image

(and yaaayyyy my account is verified <3)

--------------------
everybody move your feet and feel united. yeah.

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 28 2005, 12:08 PM
Post #55

I'm not going to add anything else either, non argument (or/and insult) stated afterwards has made me see it in a different way, and I'm not here to tell anybody how needs him/her see the film nor to be told by someone how should I see it.

I already said how I see it and the impression I got and my arguments, enough said.

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Ladymercury
post Oct 28 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #56

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,753

All and all, I will still stick to my belief and statement that Roy is OOC. Everyone may say that Roy is 'human' but it still doesn't explain how Roy magically decides to use alchemy again and become the leader we all know and love.

There is just so much that just doesn't add up. sad.gif

So I'll just stare at emo!Roy for the time being. Emo!Roy does look pathetically hot.

--------------------
everybody move your feet and feel united. yeah.

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 28 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #57

...see? that's why I said I wouldn't add anything else... because we are repeating ourselves about the same thing over and over. Noone is offering anything new (ontopic) to this thread...

Ladymercury, I'm with you! XD

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Katana Alchemist
post Oct 28 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #58

Citizen

QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 28 2005, 03:24 PM) [snapback]305604[/snapback]

...see? that's why I said I wouldn't add anything else... because we are repeating ourselves about the same thing over and over. Noone is offering anything new (ontopic) to this thread...

Ladymercury, I'm with you! XD

yeah, go run away from us!

nah, i'm kidding. i can sorta understand how you guys think it's ooc. however, i think roy is complex enough that you can think of him a lot of different ways. to me his actions are in character to who i believe him to be. to you, perhaps not so.

+Quote Post
seventh_sky
post Oct 28 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 20,187

I'm not changing my opinions based on what I've read here either, but it really does get aggravating when certain people on this forum seem to enjoy disagreeing with everything someone else posts.

--------------------

avi by Yoshi, sig by me and Yoshi
My apprentice and fellow button klutz: ed_drink_your_milk_ // Fellow North Carolinian to Blitz!
COF member #13 // my banner is on a journey to find inner peace
My dA//.:Yoshi Supremacy:.\\My Fanfiction

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Oct 29 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #60

I personally find it aggravating that so many people here enjoy nitpicking and scrutinizing every insignificant and trivial aspect of FMA.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:23 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css