HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Question About Roy: About His Military Rank, And Related His Frame Of Mind, Etc. In The Movie, (Spoiler alert! ^)
Rating 3 V
yellowduckie
post Oct 11 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,603

Please pardon me if the answer was blatant in some episode, but I truly have trouble figuring this out.

Wasn't Roy promoted to Brigadier General at some point near the end of the series? Why then, after the mess with the King Bradley Homunculus did he end up being a lowly corporal in the beginning of the movie?

Was he demoted? Why? Because he killed the homunculus? Because he didn't start a war or something?

Or was it self-imposed? Truly, I can see why he would want isolation from the warfare and murder and psychological guilt, therefore, retreating up there in the artics, but to give up his position and all or his subordinates? especially since rank and moving up were so important to him throughout the series!

And when his former subordinates went up to go visit him, were they trying to get him to go back to Central and lead them again? therefore suggesting that he voluntarily became a lowly outpost guard?

Any information/thoughts/insight?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 14 2005, 02:28 AM
Post #2

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

It's not clear from the movie, and many of us are still trying to figure out Roy's transformation between the end of anime series and the movie.

One bit of information I found recently... on Japanese official Hagaren movie site (sorry, the link no longer works) if you click on Roy Mustang under "C" for Charactor, it briefly says (not directly but in a run-about kind of way) in Japanese that the demotion was according to his intention. So, I guess it's self-imposed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ouro-boros
post Oct 22 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 21,837

He was promoted at the last episodes to Brigadier General, although his subordinates treat him as "colonel". Bones stated that in the movie he droped his title by own will because he was going to go to the front lines because he felt horrible for the crimes he had committed.

--------------------
well... I really don't like signatures... hey! don't blame me! I'm just a serpent which bits it's own tail! XD

+Quote Post
Guest_Ladymercury (unable to log in)_*
post Oct 22 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #4

Guests

I feel that's so OOC it hurts. Roy isn't one that would just demote himself for something like that.

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 22 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 11,740

yeah, specially after he got to be brigadier general and he killed the homunculus that was giving orders to have wars... It puzzled me very much when I read the news.

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My little sis-SsleepyAlly
My other little sis XD-Satsuka
My OTHER little sis XD-Seventh Sky
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Neko_Nayru
post Oct 22 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 15,505

yeah, it confused me too....
just another reason to say..."stupid bones"

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 22 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #7

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Once again, you people prove that you can't think outside the box. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Katana Alchemist
post Oct 22 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 17,512

what is the only reason that roy mustang cared about rank at all during the series? what was his main goal during the series?
roy's purpose in the military is to become fuhrer, the dictator of amestris and change how the country runs. that is the ONLY reason he cares about promotions at all.
like i've said before, guilt is a huge part of who roy mustang is. he is guilty for what he did in ishbal, so he's trying to make his life useful again by changing the country so people never order others to do ridiculous things like kill doctors again.
so bradley is dead. the government changes hands. now it's a democracy. the military isn't in control anymore, running the country with an iron fist. this is what roy wants! i can't imagine what would make him happier. why would roy want to change that? even if he was a perfect leader he'd still be a dictator and the next leader might not be so great.
so we return to his guilt. i think that after helping his main goal become accomplished, roy just loses interest with the power & politics of being a military higher up. however, he still feels guilty and tries to deal with it this way.
i think his actions are perfectly in character.

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 22 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #9

@What, no bacon?: Why do you generalize? Keep yourself on topic, please.

For the little I could understand of movie's dialogues... he said he wasn't able to use alchemy since the day he killed the fuhrer, I suppose that had something to do with him dropping his title, as well as to be depressed for Hughes' death. :s or what I suppose it was because of, seeing him in front of his grave made me think it was because of that.

---------EDIT-------

@Katana Alchemist:
But I don't think it's "normal" to make him get depressed NOW, I mean, he had a reason to be depressed when Hughes died, and when he was in the war, and after that. But after showing us how he was overcoming that, suddenly, after killing the fuhrer and making him get as depressed over Hughes' death and the crimes he made, as much as to say "I don't want to keep my title of Brigadier General" (Where he can give a better service to Amestris people) and "I'm going to the front lines", I think that's very OOC. I mean, What's the point of dropping your title because of your crimes if by doing that you are going to go to the front lines to kill more poeple if it's needed??? I found that quite out of place, and even more for Roy.

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 22 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #10

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Reika @ Oct 22 2005, 07:50 PM) [snapback]303188[/snapback]

@What, no bacon?: Why do you generalize? Keep yourself on topic, please.

I'm neither generalizing, nor going off topic. The fact that you people say that what he does is OOC is emblematic of the apparent small-mindedness of people who repeatedly carp about the anime. We know for a fact that Roy has a conscience, and that conscience is what compels him to basically exile himself and drop his title. You can question whether this is an appropriate course of action on his part, but to assume that it's OOC just because Roy has an ambition to become fuhrer is bullshit.

@Katana Alchemist,

Thank you, that was a very good explanation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 22 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #11

I answered you above with more than "it's just because he wanted to become fuhrer". Besides, that's not the important thing, the important thing is that he wants to help people, and that's why he wants to go to the top. That's how I've seen him at least, and by saying he drops his title when he's never acted so "I'm tired, I don't want to continue", makes me think he's out of character. Besides what means to drop his title.

---EDIT---

I forgot to add that it wouldn't have surprised me that much if we were shown at the end of the series that he was, or was starting to be, depressed. But he was smiling and he was the one that told Riza that she shouldn't feel bad, that the world was imperfect. So I think that either, something happened we didn't see that got him into that, or there was a drasticall change of attitude on him.

So with all this facts and ideas and impressions I got... I have to say I didn't like the outcome of Roy's character in the movie. But that's just my opinion.

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
seventh_sky
post Oct 22 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 20,187

I don't know what it is about this forum and jerks.

But anyway.... I thought Roy's great ambition was to become fuhrer so that he could help the people who were in situations like him, you know, so that people wouldn't have to feel the way that he did when he had to kill innocents. I really don't think it's in his character to just give his goal up that easily.

--------------------

avi by Yoshi, sig by me and Yoshi
My apprentice and fellow button klutz: ed_drink_your_milk_ // Fellow North Carolinian to Blitz!
COF member #13 // my banner is on a journey to find inner peace
My dA//.:Yoshi Supremacy:.\\My Fanfiction

+Quote Post
blackrider76
post Oct 22 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

Member No.: 20,078

i think theres no point in going to the top, now that theres a democracy; he goes to the frontlines so he can protect the country, since it has already been changed for the better

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Reika
post Oct 22 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #14

But how can you protect your country with a title that only tells you "kill the ones they tell you to kill", I mean, fuhrer or democracy... if they want you to kill someone, you'll have to kill. At least, being Brigadier General, he would have some power to "manipulate" things for the better, at least better than being a depressed corporal that is waiting for Hughes' to appear, without using alchemy because of his trauma. Don't you think?

--------------------
IPB Image

~My Forum Family~
My big sis -Valérie
My Cousin- Azura Elric

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Oct 22 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #15

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Some of you seem to forget that the whole system of government for Amestris was changed at the end of the anime. The office of 'Fuhrer' no longer even exists.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 06:40 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css