HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Which Is Better? Manga Or Anime?, Tell us your preference/opinion!
rosieechan
post Feb 8 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #121

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,287

It really depends.

But usually the manga is better because the anime leaves some things out when it adapts the manga, or it stops halfway in the manga's plot (such as Ouran, Special A, and every other popular shoujo manga that has an anime adaption).
So I'd have to say the manga.

There are exceptions, though, like Toradora or Princess Tutu.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sephrim1
post Feb 21 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #122

Citizen

Member No.: 77,941

You can't really say one is better than the other, because you need a hot manga to make a hit anime. I love reading manga, but I love watching the animated versions because I can actually see what's happening. Especially action manga's such as Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, I prefer to watch the anime episodes and then I read the manga until the anime catches up. SO I'm really a fan of both, but I would prefer to watch the anime versions, but that doesn't mean it's better.

--------------------
Sephrimmedia.com

+Quote Post
Chizakura
post Apr 16 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #123

Citizen

Member No.: 79,934

To me this isn't even a question.

This is how it would go If someone came up to me and asked:
"Which is better, manga or a--"
"Manga. It has to be manga."

Honestly, I don't like anime in general. It always ruins the manga series (when it's based off one, that is. But when you think about it, a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of anime is from manga), it always seems to exaggerate the humor, and honestly half the time it feels so babyish. When the best humor you can think of is an odd face-fault, or a wonderful stirring romance consists of a few blushes here and there... *facepalm*

The only anime I like are Fullmetal Alchemist, Digimon, Pokemon (*cough* speaking of babyish *cough* I can't help it, some childhood things are forever good!), and Witch Hunter Robin.

That doesn't mean I'm not willing to try any though. I even go in with an open mind about it ("Surely this one will be rise above the usual junk~<3") it's just very hard for me to find one that I like.

+Quote Post
Lucky Lucy
post Apr 23 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #124

Apprentice

Member No.: 80,077

I somehow tend to like manga a little bit more. That's just because manga sometimes seems more interesting to me and I kind of empathize with the mangaka. biggrin.gif
However, anime is great too, because I think you can understand motion and the characters' feelings(that's because of the sound) a little bit better. biggrin.gif

--------------------
With you I had a bad romance! ♥

" Yeah, one, two princes kneel before you! Princes, two princes who adore you! "

+Quote Post
AlPhOnSeElRiC7
post Jul 25 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #125

Citizen

Member No.: 82,425

I would have to say manga, because the anime always leaves out at least one thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jul 26 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #126

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

For me, it's anime, hands down. No offence to the manga though, this pretty much comes to the fact that I live up north and manga must be read online. And mind I tell you, since there are rarely any books available, reading manga online takes time. It's very frustrating. You need to know exactly when to press for the next page so that you won't lose the flow.

As for anime, well, I prefer it since it has everything. Music, Art style, COLORS, voices, it is better to me. And it's MUCH easier to watch online wink.gif, once you know where to find anime, of course.

As for anime adaptations. Well, usually I expect the opposite from the manga fans. Usually manga fans expect a literal transition to anime form, I always expect more. I mean, if you're going to make an adaptation, why not do it well? You can add new scenes, some new pieces of dialogue. You don't have to alter the actual plot but you can create some new, exciting twists.
That's pretty much the reason why I prefer FMA 2003 to Brotherhood, and Sailor Moon anime to manga (although I admit, I have been watching the live action version and the anime version can be extremely stupid.) Really, Sailor Moon must one of the best adaptations ever. It has the overall plot of manga but adds new twists and characters and relationships. I especially like the last season.

--------------------

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Jul 26 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #127

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,795

That's a tough call - but if pressed, I'd have to go with anime. If only for the visceral potential of moving pictures and sound, I feel the audio/visual dimensions of a properly executed animation elevate it above its less dynamic, paper-bound counterpart.

While I appreciate both traditions of popular entertainment, I find the quickening of still frames through artistic skill, visionary direction, and human ingenuity far more alluring than the more traditional techniques of manga.

By the previous observation, I do not mean to imply that all - or even most - anime achieves a level of artistry above manga simply because they showcase images in motion while manga presents choice frames to achieve the allusion of motion. True artistic excellence is rare in both mediums. However, when done properly, the emotions it has elicited from me go far beyond anything I've every experienced from reading a manga.

To clarify further: while reading a particularly elegant manga panel, action scene, or plot point, I am often struck by how cleverly a scene is envisioned, how skillfully it is rendered, or the unexpectedness of a plot twist with a feeling of satisfaction or giddiness. Yet, these emotions pale in comparison to the visceral response my entire body undergoes when enveloped in a truly masterful anime. The combination of music, unlimited artistic expression, and the knowledge that everything I am witnessing in motion is the result of countless man hours of sweat, dedication, and perseverance often gives me chills, occasionally even moving me to tears.

Examples of the transcendent power of animation to which I refer include:

- The collapse of Steam Castle in Steamboy
- The dramatic reveal of Heintz' personal tragedy and destruction of the space station in Magnetic Rose
- The visceral depiction of speed in Redline (or the lesser known but equally excellent Running Man OVA)
- The final sword fight in Sword of the Stranger
- Row, Row, Fight The Power opera rendition from episode 25 of Gurren Lagann
- The mixture of comical sensibility and dynamic action in the final chase of Tokyo Godfathers
- The technical mastery of Akira's opening biker sequence and final confrontation
- Major Kusanagi's bare-handed battle with a tank as a visual metaphor of her desire to transcend the limitations of her physical body from the original Ghost in the Shell movie
- The philosophical quandaries inherent to the final confrontation with Zorndyke and the excellent integration of early CGi to realize massive underwater battles in Blue Submarine No. 6
- The build-up and thematic layering of Spike Speigel's fist fight with Vincent Volaju as well as the phenomenally animated spaceship dogfight in Knockin at Heaven's Door
- Asuka's last stand in End of Evangelion
- The synergy between animation and music in the climactic episodes of X'amd: Lost Memories
- The visual storytelling of 5cm per Second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days
- Sara Ringwalt's escape from bondage in Now and Then, Here and There
- The liftoff sequence from Royal Space Force Honneamise
- The visual representation of mental breakdown in Perfect Blue
- The discovery of Laupta in Miyazaki's fantastic Castle in the Sky
- Wrath versus Gluttony in Conqueror of Shamballa
- Otomo's inspired juxtaposition of Ray Charles and apocalyptic destruction in the 2001 reinvisioning of Fritz Lang's classic Metropolis
- The gradual build and tragic resolution of Sky Crawlers' generational narrative
- The animation of Hubb's agony, loss and desperate perseverance in Wolf's Rain

For all my preference of anime, I will concede that manga/anime adaptations often resolve in favor of the original source material, due to decreased constraints on time and increased potential to realize three dimensional characters. Yet, even this trend is not absolute. Monster, which I consider to be one of the best anime ever produced, is a frame perfect adaptation of Naoki Urasawa's manga and an improvement on the original in almost every way. Perhaps a more controversial opinion (on this board, especially) would be the assertion that FMA-1 surpasses FMAB, or even, dare I suggest it, the manga story line itself. While certainly not a majority position, I nonetheless find such a preference artistically and thematically defensible, lending further credence to the fact that anime adaptations are not always inferior to their manga counterparts.

+Quote Post
AlchemistPrinces...
post Aug 15 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #128

Citizen

Member No.: 83,664

In my experience the manga series are always always always better than their anime adaptations, at least 90% of the time.

+Quote Post
*Red_Dragon*
post Nov 30 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #129

Citizen

Member No.: 87,235

The manga was better than the first anime. But I prefered Brotherhood to both cos it had the good story of the manga.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 07:07 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css