HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

43 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do You Hate What Bones Did To Fma(manga) By Making Fma Anime (first Series)? Spoiler Warning For All Fma Series!, Did BONES ruin FMA by making FMA Anime (first series) the way it is??
Do you hate what BONES did to FMA?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 280
Guests cannot vote 
The Great Aspara...
post Nov 24 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #586

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,454

i get the feeling that fullmetal alchemist is the kinda thing that keeps its loveliness no matter how weirdly people make it

well to some extent at least biggrin.gif

howeeeverrrr, i find that many many animes (kinda like fma) tend to have a random ending that has nothing to do with like 50% of the rest of the anime =[

buuuut.... fma is stilll sooooo spectacular!! YAY!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HaganenoKyuubi
post Dec 9 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #587

Citizen

Member No.: 43,193

Again, we say, if you didn't like it- STOP WATCHING IT. There are many, many fans of the anime and if you didn't know, Ed's country isn't supposed to be Japan. It's supposed to be that world's Germany. That's why he ended up in Europe at the other side of the Gate.
AND if you didn't like it, WHY ON EARTH did you register on these forums to only post how you didn't like the show or the manga?????

And DeadBeat, does your name mean the truth??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 10 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #588

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@HaganenoKyuubi - Welcome to the board!!

Umm.. just so that you know... you responded to discussions that are more than one year old!!
And, DeadBeat hasn't been on this board since August of last year. happy.gif

Hope to see your responses on more current discussions. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mariel_faw
post Dec 12 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #589

Citizen

Member No.: 42,855

Look swettie... I don't wanna be mean but... first: if you didn't like FMA you dind't have to watch it, I mean did someone put a gun on your face? I doubt it... second: why on earth did you have to entered here? this is a fan website for GOOD discussion no for a "steaming pile of dog poop" like your very interesting commentary... but thank you for your perspective wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Dec 12 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #590

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

This is over a year old. Responding to it is futile. Why does no one understand that?

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 13 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #591

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ailuro @ Dec 13 2006, 01:56 AM) [snapback]483991[/snapback]
This is over a year old. Responding to it is futile. Why does no one understand that?

Nod, nod... like, I can use one standard answer... tongue.gif

QUOTE(Mariel_faw @ Dec 13 2006, 01:45 AM) [snapback]483990[/snapback]
Look swettie... I don't wanna be mean but... first: if you didn't like FMA you dind't have to watch it, I mean did someone put a gun on your face? I doubt it... second: why on earth did you have to entered here? this is a fan website for GOOD discussion no for a "steaming pile of dog poop" like your very interesting commentary... but thank you for your perspective wacko.gif

@Mariel_faw - Welcome to the board!!

Umm.. just so that you know... you responded to discussions that are more than one year old!!
And, DeadBeat hasn't been on this board since August of last year. happy.gif

Hope to see your responses on more current discussions. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mariel_faw
post Dec 13 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #592

Citizen

Member No.: 42,855

Hey common give me a brake... I'm new at these and I didn't see the date... plus maybe you should erase those if you don't want any more comments but it's just a suggestion... oh and thanks for the invitation to keep writting happy.gif

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 13 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #593

Group Icon

@Mariel_faw - That's ok, we understand. smile.gif
It also helps if you click for the Last page of the thread, and not just the First page.

When clinking for the thread, go for the largest page number and click that one.
Or, go to the far right, and click on Last post by.
This will bring up the most current page for that thread. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nick fury
post Jan 21 2007, 08:07 AM
Post #594

Citizen

Member No.: 44,028

I don't hate bones, I do hate you. I can't believe I read that fanboy, nitpicky waste of webspace. I enjoyed the anime and even think it has some better plot than the manga, not many but some. One is the way homunculus are created. I like it being from human transmutation failing. Yes there are plot holes, mainly the question of if Dante knows how to create the stone why does she need ed? If Marco never figured it out and others like lab 5 then fine, but once they figured it out why did she continue with ed and al.

The plot holes are not enough for me to write a stupid paper about hating it. I want the 10 minutes of my life back that you have wasted on your petty bickering nitpicky thread. Get a girlfriend and a job and you won't have enough time on your hands to write junk like that.

+Quote Post
Ratzenheich FMA ...
post Jan 21 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #595

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 39,297

No, because Arakawa says the anime has to be different from the manga and that it's also nice seeing something that's different from the original.

Anyway, it's a matter of personal preference. You can't really say the English cast sucks. I prefer the English cast than the Japanese one. Most of the female characters in the Japanese cast sounded generic. Rie Kugimiya make Al sound really girly. Though I do praise Romi Park for a wonderful performance. And also... I do think Vic Mignogna's voice-over for Ed sounds a bit older. When Ed was 10 in the show, he sounded the same as he did when he was 16 at the end of the show. Vic Mignogna's voice-over is perfect for the movie though, just wonderful. And is it just me or does Winry's voice actor make Winry sound older?

--------------------

"Destiny is only an excuse to let things happen, and not make things happen"

+Quote Post
FMA - Breeze
post Jan 21 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #596

Citizen

Member No.: 43,527

I voted "a little bit", most of the ideas are OK, they shortened the story length and that helps keeping up the quality of individual episodes, I would have said it's better than the manga story if not for the last two episodes. The parallel worlds idea complete blew it up for me, what's the point of putting protagonists into a world we already know so much about and strip them free of their power?

It was nice seeing a little variation from reality that Nazi lady was able to summon a group of armored suits along with being a powerful alchemist herself, but in the ending we saw Hitler was on his way again just like what happened real-life, this ending sucks just like the anime one.

+Quote Post
Ratzenheich FMA ...
post Jan 21 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #597

State Alchemist (Major)

You've got a point there with the movie's ending. It's really sad... and what's worse is Ed and Al are at the wrong time at the wrong place.

Most of us fear the worst for them if there is ever going to be a sequel. It's hard to think that they might end up as soldiers or just being killed in the impending doom that is World War II. But the story ends there and they are together again... starting life once more. The resolution is definite and it's just hard to touch it, it's at the same time hard to see that they are both alone in a world in the brink of destruction. They left everyone else they knew just to be together. And the mystery that is the events that may unfold after the movie's ending is what's intriguing most people. With that kind of ending, it is extremely hard to speculate that there will be a sequel to Fullmetal Alchemist. The brothers whom we came to know and love are not anymore alchemists. The closest they can probably get to another Fullmetal Alchemist sequel is new main character, not anymore Ed and Al. But a spin-off like this will probably be crappy and if it ever ended, we'll all be back to phase one. We have to face it... things do end.

Sorry for the long post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astria
post Jan 22 2007, 05:23 AM
Post #598

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,515

"And is it just me or does Winry's voice actor make Winry sound older?"

Not just you. I rented out one of the DVDs, and was shocked to hear the dub for Winry. It was the scene when she's crying about her parents being killed. Now, in that scene she was about six (?), but she sounded no different then she did normally. That was a little odd. The VA plays her well, its just a little hard to accept this girl is supposed to be 16 when she sounds so much older. It is a thing that happens, though, that VAs are older then the characters they play, and it doesn't always work. The one thing I don't like about Mignogna's Ed is the fact, as you said, that he sounds exactly the same at 16 as he does in the flashback episodes. Its an interesting pair they got to play Ed and Al - Mignogna is at least in his twenties, I think, and Dismuke being quite a bit younger (is he still a teenager? He didn't look like it when I saw him at the LondonExpo.) For me, the dub VA that nailed his part was Travis Willingham being Roy. Not perfect, but pretty darn close. I mean, from the line in episode 5 when he burnt the hijacker, I just knew he'd got the part down.

@Ratzenheich - I don't think there should be a sequel to the movie, simply because the world war is such a massive issue it would overwhelm anything else. Lets face it, the appeal of the characters aside, many people were watching FMA for the alchemy... the magic of it, and I believe the people who made Shambala made a big mistake by trying to factor in something as large as pre-WWII Germany.

I didn't mind the anime version. Having since read the manga, on the one hand I'm glad they didn't try to adapt it - because the space between chapters would have been filled by all-too-likely godawful fillers. On the other hand, there are somethings which would have looked so good had the manga been adapted further than it was. The plot for the Xingese characters, the wider history of the Ishbal war and, just for the sheer awesomeness of it, the entire subplot between Hughes death and Ross getting sent to Xing. I still think those chapters are the best Arakawa's done to date. There's so much in that section alone that completely out-does anything BONES managed on its own terms.

+Quote Post
Ratzenheich FMA ...
post Jan 22 2007, 07:45 AM
Post #599

State Alchemist (Major)

Definitely no sequel. Even if it is such a sad ending we have to agree to it that they're... gone. It's hard to say for most devoted fans of the series such as me. Who knows what will happen to them. But the special OVA of grandpa Ed and his grandchildren is keeping our hopes up that they survived the war.

Well, Arakawa gave a praise and go signal when they presented her the plot of the series and movie. I only read few chapters of the manga (the later parts) and it's a lot more... well, negative, not in a directly judgemental way. I saw Maria Ross fleeing and Havoc paralyzed and all those really bad things only happened in the manga.

It's probably the nature of anime being so alive compared to manga. When I watch the series, when I hear the characters speak and their faces change in facial expression, it just hits me. The emotional expression present in the anime is what keeps me stuck to it. It also seems like the anime focuses more on the Elric brothers and generally the world around them instead of specifics such as this event, that character, etc.

BTW, Vic Mignogna is in his 40s already. Aaron Dismuke is relatively a lot younger, he started doing Al's voice when he was 11. He voiced Al Elric in the movie when he was 14 I think.

I hope you don't mind me asking but, do you live in London? And they had an anime expo there? How recent was this London Expo you were talking about with Aaron Dismuke in it? Were the English dub cast of FMA there? Sorry for so many questions. I just never heard about this expo before.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astria
post Jan 22 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #600

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,515

I didn't realise Mignogna was in his fourties. I was judging mid-30s at most. Well, I guess he should be congratulated for managing to play a 15 year-old as well as he did.

Arakawa let them adapt it, but I'd like to know what she thought of what they did to the storyline. The anime could have turned out a lot worse, but I do think it was a risky bet that just happened to pay off (well, for fans at least. Hopefully Arakawa herself isn't ruing the day she let BONES take on her work.)

I do agree that anime version is very much 'alive'. Its in the style of the show. It did manage to express a lot through the character designs and their voices - some things which are harder to communicate in manga dialogue (especially in a poor translation). This sort of expression also happened at lot in the background design, the sorts of details that were used.

Like the first episode, when we see the attempted transmutation. The colours, the fact there was a storm outside (Hooray for pathetic fallacy!), the ominous moment when the bright lights turn to red and grey, right up to Ed's horrible scream: everything worked brilliantly. That kept me on the edge of my seat the first time I watched it, and nothing in the two-part episode that followed matched it. (hell, for the first few eps I was watching just to find out what had happened) I bet that if I showed non-fantasy fans even that scene alone, they'd be curious about what happened next. The manga had something similar, but it just didn't come across with the same sense of horror and energy.

One of the reasons I like the manga is that it does expand upon so much. Not that quantity is better then quality, just that there is more space for explanation, for things to be explored at the kind of depth that the anime didn't manage - mostly because, as you say, the anime focussed very much on Ed and Al. Viewers needed to know where things were going, and just who/what to pay attention to. The manga has had the luxury of time. We find out more about the FMA'verse in general, not just Ed and Al's points of view.

As for the examples you give - I'm totally biased, seeing as these chapters showed Roy's team in the spotlight when I thought that, in comparison, the anime gave them a raw deal. Over dinner I was trying to think of anything especially 'happy' that has happened since. Can't come up with anything. We've had optimistic stuff since then, but nothing really light-hearted (heck, even one gaiden chapter was angst-ridden. 'His Battlefield Once More' - just *class*)

To answer your other questions:

Technically, I live in a town outside of London. A 5:30am train to Paddington to get to the Con for 9 was a pain in the neck.
The London Anime Expo that I went to was in October. Its one of the main ones, and an annual thing. It was my first con, and it was flipping incredible. I have my first ever piece of 'official merchandise' to prove it (an FMA t-shirt).

When I went, not all the FMA cast were there. Aaron Dismuke was doing a signing next to the FUNImation stand, and I think he was the only FMA-related person there that weekend. I didn't get anything signed...because I thought it would look a little too fangirlish and weird (he's about 14, I'm over 18...I got embarrassed). If it had been Travis Willingham, it would have been a different story. Probably involving blushing and giggling, and attempting to look indifferent.

+Quote Post

43 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css