Reply to this topicStart new topic
Any Maria Ross Fans?
Sword Alchemist
post Aug 8 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #31

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,591

Maria was also very brave in Lab 5. When Ed was in that red water, she risked her life to save him. The show has made it obvious that coming into contact with red water can be painful too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PBalfredo
post Mar 20 2006, 05:31 AM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 33,209

Maria is my favorite character in the series. I've always had a soft spot for minor characters, and Maria's role as a surrogate mother really captured my attention.

I was pretty amazed at the scene with her at the end of Created Human. I got a real sense of the motherly bond when she faced the danger and embrassed Ed to calm him down. Then Ed whispered in his semi-delusional state "Mom...you're back." It was so soft I was barely sure I heard it, but it blew me away all the same. It really solidified her surrogate mother role which was something I found really unique and engaging. It's too bad they didn't expand on that relationship much further.

In episode 18's preview for the next episode, the one cut of Ross with her gun drawn and with a look of shocked surprise made me think she was going to be killed by Scar in the next episode. Since he was after Ed and it seemed inevitable she would fight him as Ed's bodyguard. We learned that far that Scar's arm of death > guns, so if it came to that Ross wouldn't stand much of a chance. Unlike other characters who you know aren't going to be killed off, at least without a big dramatic moment, Maria's minor character status made her potential cannon fodder, so each episode she's in I'm rooting for her survival. Whenever she was in danger, I felt genuien worry that something might happen to her, which is a feeling you nomally don't get when the good guys fight bad guys on a TV show. This gunuien responce made the show terribly exciting and made me love FMA all the more.

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Mar 20 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #33

Alchemists

Awesome, It's so cool to find other Maria fans.

It's too bad that she's overshadowed by characters like Riza Hawkeye.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 20 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #34

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

She's cool.Denny is one lucky guy.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
PBalfredo
post Mar 20 2006, 03:20 PM
Post #35

Citizen

QUOTE(Sword Alchemist @ Mar 20 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]366233[/snapback]

It's too bad that she's overshadowed by characters like Riza Hawkeye.

Oh yeah, don't get me started on that. I'd prefer not draw heat from Riza fans, or just post hate on the boards. Let's just say I agree that Hawkeye steals some of Maria's thunder.

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 20 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #36

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

It's not Hawkeyes thats the problem it's the lack of Ling.
If there was Ling then Maria could have had her plot from the Manga.
Don't blame Riza,blame writting.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Mar 20 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

As much as I loved the last episode, I would've liked to have seen some more of Maria. She and her partner Denny were only shown for a few seconds. Heck, even Sheska got more time in the spot light than Maria did.

+Quote Post
PBalfredo
post Mar 21 2006, 02:11 AM
Post #38

Citizen

Yeah, it would have been nice to see them more in the epilogue. But what else could the epilogue have shown about them other than the fact they were still alive? Them making out in the broom closet?

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Mar 21 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

I think it would've been cute if there would've been a tender moment between Maria and Denny in the last episode like there was with Roy and Riza. Maybe a short little scene where Denny finally gets the courage to ask Maria on a date or something.

+Quote Post
PBalfredo
post Mar 24 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #40

Citizen

Lets talk a bit about Ross at the end of Created Human, which really is Ross' defining moment in the anime. I have to say, it was a really powerful moment and one of my favorite in the entire series. It was totally unexpected for Ross, who has been treated like a very minor character thus far, to suddenly step forward to save the day. Ed's little Freudian slip established that beneath the surface there is a powerful unspoken relationship between the series' main character and this seemingly throwaway character. Again, Fullmetal Alchemist shows how it likes to treat minor characters right by propelling them unespectedly into a much larger role than previously thought. I'm a little dissapointed that they didn't take this relationship much further in the series, aside from her little slap in the hospital. After seeing this episode I was expecting her surrogate mother role to come into play more further down the series. Possibly after defeating Sloth and letting it really sink in that their mother is gone for now and forever, that the brothers would appreciate the members of their surrogate family, like Winry, Izumi and Ross, more than they did before and let them into their lives more rather than keeping them at arms length and burdening all the hardship by theirselves.

What'd other people think of this scene and it's implications? Anyone else catch what Ed said the first time watching the episode, and what was you initial reaction? Discuss!

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Mar 24 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #41

Alchemists

That part was awesome. I didn't catch the part when Ed called Maria "mom" the first time the episode aired on Adult Swim but I had heard about it. The second time the episode was aired, I listened close and heard him say "Mom, you're back."

Another time her role as surrogate mother was explored was when she went all the way to Risembool to warn Ed and Al that they were wanted by the military. If the higher ups in the military found out about that, Maria and Denny probably could've been accused of treason for helping someone who was considered an enemy of the military. Maria took a very huge risk right there. She has proven that she would do anything to protect Ed and Al just like a mother is willing to do anything to protect her children.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Apr 8 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #42

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Happy Birthday, Sword Alchemist!!

This "mariaxsergeant" pic was posted by Frozen Ice Alchemist on page 61, post #911 of Casual Clothes thread.
I did quick translations:

"Danny meets daddy"

Daddy, let me introduce Brosh-san from Central Headquarter!!
His rank isn't that high, but he is a kind person, and he has a gentle soul!!
And, like you, one of his hobbies is making home-made pasta!!
You used to say "there is no such thing as a bad guy who loves making home-made pasta!!" right??
Right?? Daddy!!??

I think Ross wants daddy to have favorable opinion of Dunny. happy.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mariaxsergeant.png ( 8.67K ) Number of downloads: 24

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Apr 8 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #43

Alchemists

Thank you so much Tombow.

That was a cute translation for that pic.

With the way Ross is saying "Right?? Daddy??" at the end, it sounds like her daddy is looking at Denny like this huh.gif and thinking along the lines of 'Oh no, my baby girl is dating a lower ranked soldier.'

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Apr 8 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #44

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

QUOTE(Sword Alchemist @ Jul 26 2005, 09:09 PM) [snapback]228346[/snapback]

Are there any other fans of 2nd Lt. Maria Ross here?

I love Maria Ross. She's one of my favorite characters. biggrin.gif She's a strong character, and transfers very well from Manga to Anime, unlike some other characters I could mention (*Cough* Denny *Cough* dry.gif ). She's just so cool.

Plus, and I'm a little ashamed to say this (she is, after all, a drawn character), but I find her attractive, too.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
FMA4ever
post Jul 14 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 34,479

Yeah I support this couple! Love Denny X Maria

But something weird.....doesn't Denny kinda look like an older version of Ed? huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2016 - 10:00 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css