HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

48 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
General Site Question Thread, Have a question about our board or posting in forums? Post it here!
Katya Martin
post Jan 13 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #676

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,181

Random trivial question: I was editing my profile and noticed that there are two boxes for setting your gender (independent of each other as well). I was just wondering, in terms of web design/forum management, why are there two?

(Though I guess you could make some good Envy jokes with those... tongue.gif)

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jan 13 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #677

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Katya Martin - Gahaha, yes, you can do Envy jokes with these, and I think quite a few did when we first got these. I think doing jokes with these gender questions are part of our board-tradition. XD

About having two 'Gender" questions on our "Edit Profile Information" page: Each of these "gender question" was added as our forum feature at different times, when each of these came in as the part of different sets of forum upgrades pre-made codings, I think (the first one might have been "add on," but especially the one with Profile, as that was the "MAJOR" forum upgrade, as I remember,) and therefore, I assume, naturally they are in different parts of coding sequences, far apart and totally unrelated to each other and each in it's own coding blocks, that trying to create extra codings to make these two questions to "correlate" in some fashion, without any resulting malfunctions because of added sequences, if possible, would probably be "way too much work for too little return," and hence these two questions are best to be left as is, to work independently of each other. ...and that's my wild guess. biggrin.gif

And, here are some additional info about these "gender' questions:
* In the beginning of our "forum history," we were on a different forum platform, then our forum was moved to this forum platform, at first without any "gender info" feature, and that time no "Profile" page neither. (The "Profile" page, with the other "gender" question, came much much later.)

* Then, we got the "gender info" to show in the forums, the one with the bottom part of "gender question" on our current "Edit Profile Information" page. Gender info provided to this question would show up on the left side of our posts in the forum.
This "gender question" came in the earlier stage of us being on this forum format, and that has been with us ever since.

* Then, much later on, like, several "major" forum platform upgrades later, we got "personal Profile page" feature, and along came the second "gender" question, the one at the top part of our "Edit Profile Information" page. The gender info we provide with this question would show up as "Blue" (male,) "Red" (female,) or "White" (not-telling) mini figure, and this info is mainly used in "Profile" related features such as, on the left side of our board name when we add Comments on other members' Profile pages, etc., etc.

And, that's how it goes currently. Hope this might answer your question. ^^
(Although, the "forum history" part of the answer is just from the top of my head, so the exact accuracy may suffer because of that, and the coding part is also from top of my head, and of course, it's just my wild guess.) biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prisoner747
post Feb 9 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #678

Citizen

Member No.: 68,086

~ Site Banner ~

This one took me a bit by surprise, a cookie if you can figure out why lol...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  backhand.JPG ( 40.54K ) Number of downloads: 23

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 9 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #679

Group Icon

QUOTE (Prisoner747 @ Feb 9 2010, 03:01 PM) *

@Prisoner747 - Could you kindly explain further? Sorry for my "denseness" but I can't seem to find anything out of place in the presented, pic.. unsure.gif
(By any chance you are referring to Ed's and Winry's images, then those are supposed to be there. smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Prisoner747
post Feb 9 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #680

Citizen

Member No.: 68,086

QUOTE (Tombow @ Feb 10 2010, 08:10 AM) *
QUOTE (Prisoner747 @ Feb 9 2010, 03:01 PM) *

@Prisoner747 - Could you kindly explain further? Sorry for my "denseness" but I can't seem to find anything out of place in the presented, pic.. unsure.gif
(By any chance you are referring to Ed's and Winry's images, then those are supposed to be there. smile.gif )

It just looks suspisciously like a backhand is coming her way, ouch... Fully not what it's supposed to be but yeah, just saw it out the corner of my eye and thought "What?!"

Thanks for moving my thread btw, wasn't sure whether this really counted as "Site Feedback" or just an observation haha.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 9 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #681

Group Icon

Ohh, I see what you mean. ^^ And, no problem! Glad you got the PM. ^^
Yeah, the position of the two images are such that it might make some viewers do some double-take. xp
When I get the chance, I would convey the words to the "graphics" people. ^^
Thanks for sharing your observation! smile.gif

<Merged the thread in Site Suggestion forum to this thread.>

--------------------

+Quote Post
tansyuduri
post Feb 17 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #682

Citizen

Member No.: 54,163

what does it mean if when i got to post other then fast reaply my posting pannel goes blank?

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 17 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #683

Group Icon

ETA: Feb. 19, 2009

QUOTE (tansyuduri @ Feb 17 2010, 05:17 PM) *
what does it mean if when i got to post other then fast reaply my posting pannel goes blank?

Hi tansyuduri, thanks for the feedback! We are working on this problem now, and hoping to get it fixed sometime soon. smile.gif

<Moved the posts from Thread Opening Assistance thread. >

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Feb 18 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #684

Rasta Maldita

Member No.: 4,384

I can't see the "stick" (i don't know what to call it) when I'm typing, the one that's always in front of what you type, also my spell check doesn't work here. and the typing is so slow.

Update: I can't delete certain comments from someone else's post when i want to reply to them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 18 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #685

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zarpia @ Feb 18 2010, 08:42 PM) *
I can't see the "stick" (i don't know what to call it) when I'm typing, the one that's always in front of what you type, also my spell check doesn't work here. and the typing is so slow.

Update: I can't delete certain comments from someone else's post when i want to reply to them.

@Zarpia - The "stick" thingy .. you mean "cursor"? unsure.gif And, which browser are you using? Have you, by any chance, upgraded your browser to the newer version, like FireFox 3.6, or IE8, etc. recently? Also, do you have more than one browser on your computer? If so, could you try coming to our board on your alternate browser, and see if the same problems occur, and then let us know? Thanks! ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Feb 18 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #686

Rasta Maldita

No, not the cursor, let's say that I wrote a sentence and I want to correct something, normally what any one would do is just with the cursor click on the word and that vertical line that blinks ( I ) will appear there ( I hope that you can understand what I'm trying to say) and you can correct it, but in my case, i can't go to any word and do that, i can only do that in fast reply. Also when i want to reply to someones post i can't separate the comments, i can't highlight(sp?) it and then delete it.

I have firefox and IE in there must current version. I'm using FF right now, I will try it with IE.

Update: I can do it with IE, but I wonder why I can't with FF.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 19 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #687

Group Icon

Yeah, from what I remember, almost every time when FireFox comes out with the newer version, in the beginning, we seem to get the similar problems, then eventually they make patches for it, and everything works out.

Meantime, after upgrading to the newer version of FireFox, make sure all your usual add-ons are turned on again, or if needed, get the compatible versions of these add-ons. I think, maybe that's the problem about your spell-check not working while on FireFox? unsure.gif

I will check around and see if I can get more info on the "stick" thingy problem (yes, I see what you're talking about now ^^) on FireFox, or maybe some others can help us here.. right now I'm using Opera (XDD) on this computer, so I can't test it to find out more and give you better answers...
Sorry >.< I'm hoping I can get the hold of the better laptop comp this weekend, with FireFox, and if I do I will try to check out more on this. ^^

Meantime, if anyone has better info on this, please post. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Feb 19 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #688

Rasta Maldita

This is the only place were it doesn't work, my spell check works when i fast reply, but not when i use the full reply. so is not fire fox or my spell check, everything works fine on fast reply.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Feb 19 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #689

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zarpia @ Feb 19 2010, 03:09 PM) *
This is the only place were it doesn't work, my spell check works when i fast reply, but not when i use the full reply. so is not fire fox or my spell check, everything works fine on fast reply.

@Zarpia - Ah, thank you for that info!! ^^ In that case, let's see if I can check out on the compatibility of our current version of the forum platform and FireFox 3.6, and see if I can find what's causing them. smile.gif

ETA: Yap, I think I found the info. And, looks like we can fix it. ^^
It may take a bit of time, though. Please be patient while we are working on this.

Thanks again, Zarpia for your feedback info!! Appreciated! ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Feb 20 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #690

Rasta Maldita

^Thanks for taking the time to look in to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

48 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 06:08 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css