HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Those Who Have Seen The Movie, Rate It!, Might as well...
If you have seen it, how do you rate the FMA movie?
If you have seen it, how do you rate the FMA movie?
Good [ 124 ] ** [47.69%]
OK [ 74 ] ** [28.46%]
Bad :( [ 44 ] ** [16.92%]
Confusing, just like the TV ending! [ 18 ] ** [6.92%]
Total Votes: 319

Faithmemory
post Mar 10 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #211

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,070

LOL~ not just GOOD but FANTASTIC!!!! XD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spectator
post Apr 22 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #212

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (FullTylerStarke @ Dec 22 2008, 04:22 PM) *
I liked the movie at first because it was the first thing I saw in the fullmetal alchemist universe. it was an accident and of course I ruined the anime for myself but that didn't stop me from watching it. So now that I've seen all the anime and read all the manga up to date, I really really dislike this movie. It does not make sense and is full of holes, and by the way the official explanation as to why gluttony turned into a giant weird monster as said in the handbook that comes with the dvd " It's because he ate dirt ". That that is actually funny but, come on really dirt is the reason. anyways oh yeah and why would mustang wait in the middle of nowhere in the show for ed? doesn't make any sense. why not wait for him in central where he disappeared in the first place, but I guess snow is a better place to wait right. I guess since the movie exposed me to all this originally it deserves some thanks. but the boss fight was lame, and the boss was all like, " I want to destroy your world" enter devious plot device " JUST CAUSE" : ( really you want to destroy it because it tickles your fancy COME ON!. anyways thats about it. I doubt anyone will read this because the last person to post here was nearly a year ago.

Glad that you have read the manga. I actually like the manga so much more than the anime and movie. Although, the movie is quite interesting except the part where there is no Royai. That makes me so mad. But luckily, the new series is out and I believe I will like the new series.

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post Apr 27 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #213

Citizen

Member No.: 67,889

Okay, this may sound slightly off-topic with all the discussions of the new series but..

I just watched The Conquerer of Shamballa and I have a few (actually, A LOT, but I'll spare you those) questions that's boggling my mind:

1. What purpose does it serve to the Thule Society by opening up the gate and leading a bunch of army into Shamballa? I thought that they were supposed to aid Hitler, not start up their own agenda into a parallel world... *forgive me if I got my facts wrong, my memory's a bit hazy*

2. If the German soldiers didn't survive the passing through the Gate from Amestris to the real world (they were all corpses), so how the heck did Al survive by merely hiding in an armor?

3. Why was Roy hiding in the north again? Any purpose beside 'I don't deserve this all because I caused so much sins blablabla'?

Anyways, on-topic... I kinda liked the movie. Sure, it may have some WTF moments, like Hohenheim sacrificing himself for Ed or Al transferring part of his soul to an armor (?!!??) to have it 'conveniently' end up in Ed's world...

The cinematic presentation was breathtaking. And that was back in 2006! I love, love, love the backdrops and scenery, it's so vivid and detailed. That's one part that I enjoy more than FMAB -- the backgrounds in the first series were prettier. Not to mention more realistic. The music was great.

The plot was a bit lacking, because it seemed like an obviously contrived way to bring Ed back into his world (and force him leave it again for the 2nd time... wtf?!). But that didn't mean I didn't enjoy the story for what it is. After all, the movie won tons of awards. That definitely shows that it is a pretty much solid movie.

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Apr 27 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #214

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

QUOTE (Zazaza @ Apr 27 2009, 01:53 PM) *
1. What purpose does it serve to the Thule Society by opening up the gate and leading a bunch of army into Shamballa? I thought that they were supposed to aid Hitler, not start up their own agenda into a parallel world... *forgive me if I got my facts wrong, my memory's a bit hazy*
Conquer it, and take its secrets and weaponry for their world and the Third Reich. Since the anime makes it known that the FMA World's alchemy is powered by the dead of our world, the Thule Society tried that exchange in reverse.

2. If the German soldiers didn't survive the passing through the Gate from Amestris to the real world (they were all corpses), so how the heck did Al survive by merely hiding in an armor?
How did Ed survive the return trip? I have two theories:
1.) Since the Brothers Elric have successfully retrieved something from the Gate (Al his body, Ed his life after Envy took it), they gained some interdimensional immunity in their travel through it.
2.) Two counterparts cannot exist in the same world at the same time (That's why Edward possessed his real-world self in episode 49). Evidently all those soldiers had counterparts in FMA-world and could not make the trip intact. Since Ed and Al's real-world counterparts have died (Ed's in that zeppelin crash; Al's getting shot by Hess), they can successfully enter the real world. This could mean Nazi Hughes could visit the FMA World with no harm

3. Why was Roy hiding in the north again? Any purpose beside 'I don't deserve this all because I caused so much sins blablabla'?
I'm afraid that is the main point. His revenge on Bradley, the death of Selim, and the long-overdue grief of Maes Hughes have left Roy very depressed. I suppose his hiding out was to find some meaning in his wrecked life (or maybe he believed himself to be a death magnet). For a better insight, check out my Roy's Defeat essay in the Chapter Discussion thread.

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post Apr 27 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #215

Citizen

Member No.: 67,889

Thanks a lot, Claudius! I'll check out your essay biggrin.gif

The counterparts in both worlds thing do make sense, after all. At first I was wondering what was the significance of Alphonse Heiderich being sickly and getting shot to death like that...

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post Apr 28 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #216

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

I loveeeeeeeeeed the movie ^^ !!

+Quote Post
Mercy_Alchemist9...
post Apr 28 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #217

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,008

but the boss fight was lame, and the boss was all like, " I want to destroy your world" enter devious plot device " JUST CAUSE" : ( really you want to destroy it because it tickles your fancy COME ON!. anyways thats about it.

It wasn't a "Just cause" thing, she said so herself that Ed's world scared her and that she couldn't trust the people in it because they were different from her. That fear is the reason why she wanted to get rid of that world, not for kicks and giggles.

Now I like the movie, but it moved even slower than the anime. (And the anime was just barely able to pull it off.) You can't watch it often or too many times because after the second time you'll be bored out of your skull.
I didn't think it left too much open like other people says it does, all my questions were answered. However I don't like that they ended it with the Elric brothers on another search. True, Alphonse stated he wanted to travel with his brother like they did before, but traveling and searching are two different things. Traveling=Slightly stressful. Searching=Extremely stressful. They've been through enough, LET THEM REST!

--------------------
We interrupt this signature for an important question:

If it is not approved allowed to post on a thread that has long since died been "resting" for a while, and each member is allowed to open only one his/her own "art collection" thread for posting his/her artwork in fanart forum, then does that mean I can not post my artworks again on my old art thread?
(No, I'm not looking for "Post it in 'The Beauty of Your own Artwork'" as an answer, thank you!)

<Answer: Yes, of course!! Hope to see many more of your artworks!! :) ~ Board Staff>

Off to Michigan! Be back soon!

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Apr 28 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #218

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I thought it was just "okay", really. I mean, as far as production values? Absolutely stunning. The details in both the art, the music, and the research into that era of human history was excellent. I also enjoyed several sequences, such as Alphonse taking out the armors, Edward talking to Fritz Lang, the battle between Wrath and Gluttony, Ed and Al teaming up with Roy, and the epilogue. Some breathtaking bits.

The story itself, though, was sort of unnecessary, especially when they were sort of driving home what we sort of already got about the similarities between our own real world and the world Ed's from. I mean, in the series I had no problem with it, but a lot of the movie seemed to be an excuse to show historical figures mingle with characters that looked like old favorites from the series. That in itself isn't bad, but since this was a supposed conclusion to the story of the first anime, it came off as being slightly hokey and at times detracted from the story about Ed and Al's reunion. I understood why they did it, but it didn't always work.

I had two other problems. One was Roy's sudden change of heart, in which he was perfectly fine at the end of the series (happily recovering with Riza's help), and then severely depressed and living in an outpost as a simple enlisted man in the movie. Is he so broken up about everything? I mean, it's implied he was just waiting for Edward to return to make his move, but what's the point of that? Roy Mustang may respect Edward, but to be waiting around like a war widow for a subordinate when he had plenty of them around him to support him seems sort of stupid and against his character, for both the manga or the first series. His return to confidence was cool, but I had a feeling the only reason they made him depressed was so they can do that scene with him returning. Ugh, it frustated me.

The other issue is, why would they have to destroy both sides of the gate? Didn't both sides have to be open, or something? Not thought out enough in that area.

Still, I loved the theme of "searching for a perfect world", and how the Thule Society (and by extension the Nazis) wanted a pure world of their own, and Noah wanted a home, alternate Alphonse wanted to show his pride as a German citizen and as a scientist before he died, and Ed was trying to find his way, too. It made me tear up to see Hohenheim attempt his own redemption, too.

A somewhat unnecessary, but still pretty enjoyable film.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Apr 28 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #219

Apprentice

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Apr 28 2009, 06:26 PM) *
I had two other problems. One was Roy's sudden change of heart, in which he was perfectly fine at the end of the series (happily recovering with Riza's help), and then severely depressed and living in an outpost as a simple enlisted man in the movie. Is he so broken up about everything? I mean, it's implied he was just waiting for Edward to return to make his move, but what's the point of that? Roy Mustang may respect Edward, but to be waiting around like a war widow for a subordinate when he had plenty of them around him to support him seems sort of stupid and against his character, for both the manga or the first series. His return to confidence was cool, but I had a feeling the only reason they made him depressed was so they can do that scene with him returning. Ugh, it frustated me.

I suppose Roy either lied to make Riza feel better, or he ended up relapsing after the end of the series. These things happen, especially for someone with Roy's sad record. Read my 'Roy's Defeat' essay (in Character Discussion) for more insight on why Roy went emo. His depression is definitely more than writer's fiat.
As for waiting for Edward, look at it this way: What has Roy Mustang done in his life? Killed thousands of innocent people, had a plan that led to the death of his best friend, threw away all his ideals for revenge against Bradley, and only that plan succeeded via the sacrifice of an innocent child. Not a very good record to justify a happy life (he does attract death, doesn't he?). The only good thing he did was enable the Brothers Elric to find their missing parts. Only one part of that goal has been achieved: Al is human again. But Ed is still missing. If the brothers were reunited, then maybe Roy can get some meaningful success in his wreck of a life and recover.

The other issue is, why would they have to destroy both sides of the gate? Didn't both sides have to be open, or something? Not thought out enough in that area.
Remember that the Thule Society's first invasion (in Lior) only needed one side to be successful. Even if Roy closes the Gate from his side, the Nazis can still invade from their side.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Apr 28 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #220

State Alchemist (Major)

Eh, I don't know if I can necessarily buy that, about Roy. It seems like a lot to swallow, especially since, with all the time they took to establish the stuff in our world, they did little to establish Roy's attitude. In other words, the execution of that plot thread was definitely lacking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Apr 29 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #221

Apprentice

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Apr 28 2009, 08:39 PM) *
Eh, I don't know if I can necessarily buy that, about Roy. It seems like a lot to swallow, especially since, with all the time they took to establish the stuff in our world, they did little to establish Roy's attitude. In other words, the execution of that plot thread was definitely lacking.

Yeah, the 'why Ed?' theory has much lesser evidence then the 'why Roy depressed' theory (which has loads of it). I would agree on the lack of attention. Even Nazi Hughes has a A-B-C-D progression. But Roy gets only A (depressed over his past in a station) and C (to the rescue!) but not B (why does he return?) and D (how does he survive the falling wing?)

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Apr 29 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #222

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE (Claudius @ Apr 29 2009, 12:26 PM) *
how does he survive the falling wing?

Obviously, Roy survived by being awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lunneth
post May 3 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #223

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,587

it wasn't bad but it could have been alot better. you learn to aprreeciate itthe second time round though

--------------------

persona rp: [url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12717"]
thankyou Arakawa sensei for the 9 years of awsome story lines, characters and plot twists that became Fullmetal Alchemist. it's been one hell of a ride :3

+Quote Post
Nytengale
post Jun 25 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #224

Citizen

Member No.: 69,719

I liked the movie. It had a good plot and all, the beginning was my favorite with the dude on that curious island/oil rig thing. I really like the line "Brother, he drilled holes in me" XXD i started laughing when he said that. Although, I hate how it ended. Yeah, i love how Al and Ed were reunited and all, but I just wish that they ended up back in Amestris, not in Germany with the Nazis and such. Otherwise, the movie itself was good, except the ending. XD

--------------------
Evny♥ (my husband ^_^)

Envy can only be with myself or Ed, otherwise, I will put you in my Yaoi Note!
The 7 Blue Yaoi Cats of Wall Club OneShots written by myself and the other club members and featuring anime characters from FMA/Naruto/Soul Eater/and many more!
"It's not over until Epic Fail...have you guys won The Game yet?" -Uncle Yo

+Quote Post
Haru0496
post Jul 11 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #225

Citizen

Member No.: 69,958

-i like the movie! just like WW1! cool!!

QUOTE (edochick @ Sep 13 2005, 07:11 AM) *
QUOTE (Jellybean @ Sep 12 2005, 06:08 PM)
OT: @Edochick: You're avatar/sig pic is so cute! Where did you get it?
OT: Oh thanks. I drew the picture. But I just downloaded some neat photoshop brushes so it was kind of an experiment ^^

OT: really? that's so cute!

--------------------

originally made by Haru0496

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 07:40 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css