Kivrin
post Oct 11 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,344

QUOTE(InsaneFangirl @ Oct 11 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]458590[/snapback]

QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 20 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]352413[/snapback]

In the Anime they discussed the fact that Roy would never be Fuhrer (or even make it any higher in the ranks) if he killed the Bradley. This was because no one would accept a leader who'd killed the previous leader. Roy said he didn't care because avenging Hughes was more important. Also, Bradley's body was destroyed so Roy had no evidence to prove what he really was. Ed was gone so he couldn't say, and Al couldn't remember. None of Roy's friends would be believed because they're his friends obviously. So you have Roy attacking Central and killing the Fuhrer because he CLAIMS that the Fuhrer was a bad guy. Obviously he was at least partly believed because he wasn't arrested or executed. It makes sense though, that once everything calmed down and the new Parliament was established that one of the things they would do was punish Roy. Again, the fact that they merely demoted him and stuck him in the boondocks showed a major concession on their part in that they were willing to accept his word at least in part. Anyway, that's my reasoning on it. smile.gif

Maybe one of the reasons he was in a "snowy place", is because his punishment was to be exciled?

Hrm... it seemed to me that Roy volunteered for re-assignment to the North, so it was a self-imposed exile. And as for his demotion, it was never stated that he was punished. I had the impression that he voluntarily gave up his rank, which would be in keeping with his penitent state of mind. But that could be just in the fansub version I saw ... at least I think it was a fansub... blink.gif unsure.gif ... beggin' yer pardon if 'tweren't!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Oct 11 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #47

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(Kivrin @ Oct 11 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]458622[/snapback]
it seemed to me that Roy volunteered for re-assignment to the North, so it was a self-imposed exile. And as for his demotion, it was never stated that he was punished. I had the impression that he voluntarily gave up his rank, which would be in keeping with his penitent state of mind. But that could be just in the fansub version I saw ... at least I think it was a fansub... blink.gif unsure.gif ... beggin' yer pardon if 'tweren't!
@Kivrin - I agree. I saw the original in Japanese, and I got the same impression also, that Roy had given up the rank voluntarily, and went into self-imposed exile. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Munich!FMA
post Oct 12 2006, 03:24 PM
Post #48

Citizen

Member No.: 41,691

QUOTE(InsaneFangirl @ Oct 11 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]458590[/snapback]

QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 20 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]352413[/snapback]

In the Anime they discussed the fact that Roy would never be Fuhrer (or even make it any higher in the ranks) if he killed the Bradley. This was because no one would accept a leader who'd killed the previous leader. Roy said he didn't care because avenging Hughes was more important. Also, Bradley's body was destroyed so Roy had no evidence to prove what he really was. Ed was gone so he couldn't say, and Al couldn't remember. None of Roy's friends would be believed because they're his friends obviously. So you have Roy attacking Central and killing the Fuhrer because he CLAIMS that the Fuhrer was a bad guy. Obviously he was at least partly believed because he wasn't arrested or executed. It makes sense though, that once everything calmed down and the new Parliament was established that one of the things they would do was punish Roy. Again, the fact that they merely demoted him and stuck him in the boondocks showed a major concession on their part in that they were willing to accept his word at least in part. Anyway, that's my reasoning on it. smile.gif

Maybe one of the reasons he was in a "snowy place", is because his punishment was to be exciled?

That's what I thought at first, but when Havoc and Breda visit him, they ask him why he "volunteered" for a place "in the sticks" like that, if I recall. Either way, I do definitely remember him saying "You can drop the General. I gave all that up," the implication being that the combination of grief and the loss of his eye (and possibly, a portion of his sanity) caused him to ask for the demotion and to be transferred somewhere far away.

When Havoc and Breda leave, Breda mentions that Riza should have come, and Havoc replies by saying that she wouldn't want to see Mustang like this, and "I get the feeling the Lieutenant isn't the one he's waiting for," the implication being this time that he's waiting for Ed to return.

I think everything combined points to the fact that it wasn't a punishment, but that Roy truly wanted to be sent to that far corner of nothingness for various reasons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mikage_Elric
post Oct 12 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #49

Alchemists

Member No.: 19,249

that seems too intreging.lol but Riza was upset about roy going in the balloon all by himself.

--------------------
IPB Image
siggy made by Hana-san
Fullmetal Heart

+Quote Post
Kivrin
post Oct 12 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 40,344

Yes, he tried to make amends by giving up his ambition and taking himself out of the picture. Definitely like that scenario better. If the military/government truly believed that Roy killed Bradley without just cause, he'd have been court martialed and then executed!

Mustang seemed somehow more attractive in that scene: tall, dark, handsome, brooding, vulnerable. Makes you want to comfort him. Nice roaring fire, a couple of glasses of wine .......
blink.gif What were we talking about again?

tongue.gif

Huh.... and here I was thinking I was immune to Roy Mustang's charms!

+Quote Post
Ed's golden eyes
post Oct 20 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #51

Citizen

Member No.: 41,860

QUOTE(Munich!FMA @ Oct 11 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]458452[/snapback]

All I can add is that in the two years where Ed's been stranded, he's become emotionally...tame, I guess, is the word. Maybe he's just matured. I dunno. I just don't think he's that emotional of a person anymore.

I got the impression that the tameness is a result of being depressed. Not having given up hope, but basically just being unhappy.

At least, I'd like to think that's what it is. It's so sad to see Ed's vibrant, expressive personality so muted. I'd like to hope that now that he has Al again, he'll become more like the Ed we all know and love. Not that he hasn't matured, but the change seems pretty extreme.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 07:17 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css