HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

59 Pages V  « < 52 53 54 55 56 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread, Warning!! Spoilers inside!!
Naivete
post May 31 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #796

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,484

Anime- Apparently got it from his teacher who got it from her teacher... so on.

Manga- Not really explained, but most likely the same scenario.

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 1 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #797

Citizen

Member No.: 59,870

Oh, alright, so would it resemble a line of Alchemists much like an Emblem would represent a group of people or a guild?

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Jun 2 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #798

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Oh, alright, so would it resemble a line of Alchemists much like an Emblem would represent a group of people or a guild?

That seems more or less logical in my opinion seeing as how Izumi had the used insignia/emblem, and it was thus "passed on" and used by Edward. I haven't watched the anime in ages, but I can not remember if Dante had originally used the insignia and passed it down to Izumi. The insignia used by both Izumi and Edward draws on elements from both the alchemical of the Caduceus/ Wand of Hermes (Most often depicted as twins snakes entwining around a staff. In hermetic artwork the Caduceus is sometimes depicted being held by the Greek god Hermes), and the rarer Flamel (Most often depicted as a single serpent crucified on a cross.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
EnVy7
post Jun 29 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #799

Citizen

Member No.: 60,641

dude anime makes mistakes maybe they accidently made the shadow black instead of grey

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 29 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #800

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(EnVy7 @ Jun 29 2008, 02:21 PM) *
dude anime makes mistakes maybe they accidently made the shadow black instead of grey

@EnVy7 - Are you, by any chance, responding to the post on page 1 of this thread that was posted THREE years ago?? biggrin.gif

Please join us for more recently discussed topics. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
gg2qt4me
post Jul 1 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #801

Citizen

Member No.: 54,171

lol i dont think spandex had been invented yet smile.gif i was wondering about that too, but i think its just a shadow.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 1 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #802

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(gg2qt4me @ Jul 1 2008, 06:08 PM) *
lol i dont think spandex had been invented yet smile.gif i was wondering about that too, but i think its just a shadow.

@gg2qt4me - Are you, by any chance, responding to the post on page 1 of this thread that was posted THREE years ago?? biggrin.gif

Please join us for more recently discussed topics. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saving_Grace
post Jul 27 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #803

Alchemists

Member No.: 33,782

Yeah, I'm going to move away from Ed's boxers for a moment (it's a shadow, btw)...

I have a question to do with the Dante-Hohenheim stuff. Either I'm missing something or the creators have left a plot hole.

(SPOILERS)

Okay, the two jumped bodies using the stone, each time going into a younger body to escape age and death. The bodies they jumped into are not immortal, so therefore Hohenheim's current body would roughly be around 40-45 years old. Envy is quite old, definitely over a hundred, judging by the fact that Greed was imprisoned for a hundred years, and Envy was the first homunculus ever made, so that places him over a century old. Now my main question is... how can Envy's true face look like Hohenheim (e.g. blonde hair, same facial structure and eye colour), when Hohenheim's current body is only 40 years old? huh.gif

I'm going to wack myself over the head if it turns out there's a really obvious answer to this.

Please and thanks.

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Jul 27 2008, 05:34 AM
Post #804

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

Well from what I can gather, Dante and Hohenheim are at least 400+ while Envy is 400 years old, and was created while Hohenheim and Dante were still together ( obviously ^^; )

The body that Hohenheim was in at the time, must of been the body of the butler that Dante shoved the Philosopher's stone into, in order to save Hohenheim's life...and I can only guess that the butler's hair had also been blonde.
And he was probably still in that body when Dante gave birth to the baby that would eventually die and become Envy.

And if Hohenheim has always had golden eyes, then it would be easy for the human Envy to of inherited them too...especially since he looked a *lot* like his dad.
We also know that Hohenheim hasn't had nowhere near as many bodies as what Dante has, so he might of stayed the same for longer.

Apparently he still knew Pinako in the anime and was originally a drinking buddy with her ( I read it in the anime profiles book!) so his body probably hasn't aged that much in that space of time.

-------

And people say that Envy said in an earlier episode that he couldn't remember how he looked...I wouldn't really call it a plothole.
He probably didn't want to remember how he originally looked, because it brought back the memory of his own creator abandoning him.

Naturally, with the fact that everyone's pasts are being dragged out into the open later on, Envy possibly had no other choice but to face up to what had happened to him and just took on that form.
Plus, he used it against Ed in order to gain an advantage in battle...and since it meant killing off one of his creator's offspring and with how jealous he is of Hohenheim's children, well...I think that was enough he needed to jog his memory.

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
Saving_Grace
post Jul 27 2008, 07:23 AM
Post #805

Alchemists

QUOTE(Becca-chan @ Jul 27 2008, 11:34 PM) *
Well from what I can gather, Dante and Hohenheim are at least 400+ while Envy is 400 years old, and was created while Hohenheim and Dante were still together ( obviously ^^; )

Thanks Becca-chan. Yeah, the number 400 came to mind, but I wasn't sure.

QUOTE(Becca-chan @ Jul 27 2008, 11:34 PM) *
The body that Hohenheim was in at the time, must of been the body of the butler that Dante shoved the Philosopher's stone into, in order to save Hohenheim's life...and I can only guess that the butler's hair had also been blonde.
And he was probably still in that body when Dante gave birth to the baby that would eventually die and become Envy.

And if Hohenheim has always had golden eyes, then it would be easy for the human Envy to of inherited them too...especially since he looked a *lot* like his dad.
We also know that Hohenheim hasn't had nowhere near as many bodies as what Dante has, so he might of stayed the same for longer.

I'm guessing that when you say butler, you're referring to the guy with the moustache we see in the flash back. I dunno, I don't think he was blonde, and there was such a specific similarity between Envy's true face and Hohenheim's body that I doubt it was the butler's genes. And Hohenheim always having golden eyes? I'm not sure on that either. I associate the body jumping to be much like Ed attatching Al's body to armour, so (even though the idea is pretty cool), I don't see why a body's features would change to suit the new soul.
Hohenheim's current body also looks fairly similar to his original one in the flash back, which raises more questions, unless he just kept the same hairstyle for centuries. Also, the bodies do age like normal humans, right? Or why else would Dante have jumped into an old woman's body, unless it was young when she first chose it.

Still not adding up for me. sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Jul 27 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #806

Alchemists

You're welcome, Saving_Grace; I'm glad to of helped!

:: Nods:: Yeah, I could only assume that the guy was a butler of some description; so it would of meant that Hohenheim and Dante were aristocrats of some kind
( Or they were just dressed really poshly XD; :: is shot:: ) although it would make sense since they were out on that balcony of a possibly big house.

E-heh heh, the golden eyes thing is just a theory of mine...although it was left unexplained if the hijacked body can actually change it's features to suit the soul that it's housing, or not...so theorizing is the only thing we can do. ^^;

You're right on the butler's hair being undefined too...it's just where the flashback was shown in muted colours, it'd be difficult for us to see what their hair colours were...although because of that I now believe that Dante's original body must of had red hair. ^^;

As for Hohenheim keeping the same hairstyle throughout the years, perhaps it could of been Hohenheim's way of remembering who he was ( and the mistakes that he'd made in the past, with the transmutation of all of those people)

And I find it very cool that his original body looked a lot like Father from the manga ( well...a younger one anyway) with his hair down and everything.
It's almost like it was dropping a hint ( albeit under different circumstances) for what would occur later on in the chapters.

On the topic of Envy...I think that's something that will keep us guessing for quite a while and at the end of the day, it could just be left up to how people interpret it.

As for the bodies aging... :: Nods:: I think they do, although I'm not sure if it's at a normal rate.
I mean with the chimera's, they never seemed to age ( at least not physically) a day after they were transmuted and that seems to go for the manga version too.
I was just wondering if that ties in with the mystery behind Dante and Hohenheim's bodies.

Dante is a bit more of a mystery to me, and once again another thing to try and ponder about...since we may never be given any concrete answers now. ^^;

E-heh, I just wish I could give a better answer than that...but hopefully that's okay.

As for a question on my end, I was wondering just how many bodies have Hohenheim and Dante had in the past? I was just wondering if they ever mentioned it in the dub at some point. O.o
But I swear that Dante told Ed ( although this was in the subbed version of the DVD that I have) that the body count on her end hadn't even reached ten yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lalique
post Jul 27 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #807

Citizen

Member No.: 60,441

I'm glad I came here tonight, because I've been pondering this very subject since I finally finished the series (after being w/out cable for many years) two weeks ago. After browsing a few forums, I've found that the general consensus among many fans is that the series goes downhill after the introduction of Dante. If I could go a little OT for a minute, I couldn't agree less with this opinion. It's almost as if many feel that enjoying the anime version of the story is akin to slapping Hiromu Arakawa in the face. This is, on one hand, an exxageration, yet on the other hand, it's not. That's not to say that I don't agree that the anime has a dozen or so inconsistencies - the situation with the body swapping is one of them - but I've yet to come across an anime that doesn't. And, I'm far from an avid supporter of Dante, but I feel as if she's an adequate enough villain for this series, in that her characterization is in line with that of many of the show's "villains" and "heroes." She justifies her "immortality" just as the other characters find a way to justify all the selfish things they do. So, in that case, I feel that she falls in line with the story the anime is trying to tell. Near the end of the anime, Scieska (sp?) addresses this rather profoundly: how is one to know if the homunculi/Dante aren't actually saving human beings from themselves by taking possession of the stone/becoming human? Well, of course we know that Dante isn't out to save anyone but herself, but she's somehow convinced that it's for the good of mankind for a "superior" human being to use the stone for her own purposes. *clears throat* now, all that being said, onto the body-swapping.

Yeah, the show's got inconsistencies, for sure. Many, I feel, can be forgiven, because this is a series that (IMO) appreciates that the audience doesn't need to be led by the hand. However, the body-swapping storyline doesn't exactly fall into that category. I can buy the idea, and it's a good one, but it really should have been explained more. It seems that if the golden eye color Ed inherited from his father is rather rare, so it begs to question if the gold eyes are the mark of the talented alchemist, Hohenheim, or just a trait of the body that fathered Ed and Al? I'd like to think it was the former, but I'd wager the latter because the anime never tells us whether the empty vessel takes on any of the soul's features (if a soul can have features). This certainly never seemed to be the case with Dante. Secondly, and this probably bugs me the most, is that if Ed and Al inherited their alchemic talent from their father's genes, wouldn't that have to mean that the empty vessel was also an alchemist? I suppose it's possible, in sci-fi world, for part of a person's soul to pass into the womb, but again, this is never explained. I, myself, like to fanwank it so that Hohenheim liked to inhabit the bodies of his own descendents (obviously not from Envy, but maybe a sibling's children?) which I think would've made a really neat explanation. But, I didn't write the story.

So, thanks for letting me get all of that off my chest. Now, excuse me while I venture back into OT. Other things I liked about the Dante/Hohenheim saga: I liked how Greed was born, and died, in Dante's mansion. I also like how the story takes a much deeper turn around the Greed arc. It becomes darker and much more complex towards the end of the series than it was at the beginning, IMO. I rather like that Hohenheim was the original creator of the philosopher's stone, and that he and Dante were former lovers (I'm also one of those individuals who likes the idea of Izumi being Dante's pupil. Many may ask [and have] why she chose to take on apprentices in the first place, but she had to be able to afford that huge mansion, somehow. Plus, being an alchemy instructor/pharmacist is a pretty good cover-up for some otherwise shady dealings). I liked that Hohenheim, who was once on par with Dante in the conceit department, regrets it all enough to abandon Dante, yet feels sorry enough for her to leave her stone fragments/not kill her. Lastly, I like the other side of the gate. Yes, it's an old sci-fi trick, but I love how the ability to do alchemy depended on its existence. Clever and creepy, in a good way.

Needless to say, in spite of some oversights, I still think FMA is tops when it comes to Shonen anime. It doesn't necessarily have to be THE best anime EVER, which I think both disappoints and relieves some people, but it's still damn good. Hey, how did I manage to potentially insult a whole bunch of fans with just my second post?? If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention. In any case, thanks for reading all that crap smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saving_Grace
post Jul 28 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #808

Alchemists

No, I agree with you; FMA is pretty damn good compared to other animes, and the fact that they don't hand-feed us all the information is definitely one of the things that drew me to it. I swear if I have to watch one more anime where nearly every freakin' thing is explained in some character's whiney inner monologue I'm going to hit something.

Anyhoo. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the inconstancies; it's slightly annoying that there isn't any definite answer. You know, in all of this I've managed to find just another thing which doesnít quite fit. Itís really unimportant, but why on earth is the butler guy wearing a suit in the flash back, when the flash back is set 400+?? I mean, Amestris' apparel is relatively close (ish) to what ours was like in the 1920s, so that would lead to the idea that 400 years ago, they would have had similar fashions to our 15th century clothing... We didn't have suits in the 15th century... Oh I'm really nitpicking now...

QUOTE(lalique @ Jul 28 2008, 01:17 PM) *
I, myself, like to fanwank it so that Hohenheim liked to inhabit the bodies of his own descendents (obviously not from Envy, but maybe a sibling's children?) which I think would've made a really neat explanation. But, I didn't write the story.

That's a brilliantly twisted idea, isn't it? Makes Hohenheim seem like even more of a bastard in his past life.

QUOTE(Becca-chan @ Jul 28 2008, 10:02 AM) *
As for a question on my end, I was wondering just how many bodies have Hohenheim and Dante had in the past? I was just wondering if they ever mentioned it in the dub at some point. O.o
But I swear that Dante told Ed ( although this was in the subbed version of the DVD that I have) that the body count on her end hadn't even reached ten yet.

Yeah, I've heard that Dante had around ten and Hohenheim even less. Canít remember where I heard this, probably Wikipedia (haha).

happy.gif

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Jul 28 2008, 03:58 AM
Post #809

Alchemists

@ lalique; Hey don't worry about it, you didn't offend me...and I think that was a pretty good explanation of yours, thank you for sharing your theories with us! ^^

@ Saving_Grace; Thank you for the answer! ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saving_Grace
post Nov 2 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #810

Alchemists

Well, I'm back to annoy more people with questions!
I'm having a mental blank about the philosopher's stone, could someone give me a hand?

Okay, I remember there being two methods for the creation of a philosopher's stone for some reason. Is this right, or am I going senile at an early age?

Please and thank you.

+Quote Post

59 Pages V  « < 52 53 54 55 56 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 05:41 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css