HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
When To Buy, Should I wait till the full boxset?
anime_power!
post Jul 19 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,335

<Moving from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum where all DVD related threads are being collected currently. 02/21/07 ~Tombow>

First:
I don't have a lot of money, or inteligence huh.gif , and I was wondering if I should buy the box and Vol. 1 and then buy them until I have the full box set, or If I should just wait for the whole box set to be avalible and then purchase it as a full set.

Second:
What is the best place to find all of the current avalible FMA to buy or pre-order?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 19 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Alchemists

Member No.: 16,467

lemme first say that if you do buy, goto best buy or walmart. do not goto a dvd specialty store, like movie stop, unless you cannot find the dvd anywhere else, because you will pay $10 more.

Considering that there is no set date for a complete box set, and that they only have 12 episodes currently on dvd (in 3 volumes), AND that they don't have the whole series translated into english (at least they have not aired the 2nd season on tv.), it may be a while before the whole deal is out.

and if you wanna buy the "box set" of volume one, just keep in mind the only difference between it and just the regular volume one is the soundtrack is included (which can be downloaded free online), and a higher price.

my advice is to collect the volumes as they are released. like i said before there are three currently available, and the next one should be out at the end of July, the 26 i think. the next one after that comes out in sept.

to follow up, about where to buy:

i bought the first one at best buy, and at that time they only had that one copy. then several weeks later i saw volume three at walmart and bought it there, but they did not have vol two.

SOOOO i had to goto a movie stop and there i found vol two, but at bestbuy and walmart they were $19 and movie stop it was about $30 after taxes (which is full retail price).

Now I went to bestbuy the other day and saw they had all three. So i'd day bestbuy, if there is one in your area...

This post has been edited by Omakase Shimasu: Jul 19 2005, 10:13 AM

--------------------
"Everybody's a jerk. You, me, this jerk." -Bender

+Quote Post
foolmetal alchem...
post Jul 19 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #3

Major General

Member No.: 12,269

Target is also selling them for $20 dollars I believe, but I ordered all of mine off Amazon for $15.

--------------------

Currently EKE's GP Deshi-in Training!
*Has been nicknamed "Dai-chan" by Celes.*
Aily: He's so adorable. :3

+Quote Post
aytchmadd
post Jul 19 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 17,270

you do realize that buying them each individually will cost more in the long run? if want to watch them just rent them. buy the box set when it comes out.

--------------------
user posted image

vinni viddi vicci- cesar
cogito ergo sum

little sister=SinLuxuria,Alchemist_Sami,Ed#1Fan2.0
forum gf=bellatrixangelofkyo
cousin=animejunkie429800

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 19 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #5

Alchemists

well aytchmadd, you are right, i think i tried to calculate how much it would cost in the end to buy each volume and it scared me (100's of dollars). but what can someone do when they don't want to wait for the box set to come out. and that's to say if they ever do come out with one (which they prob would, considering FMA's popularity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Man Who Laug...
post Jul 19 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 16,969

A friend of mine seen the whole boxed set at the fair for $75 but I dunno if it was translated or with subtitles

--------------------
In the jungle the tooth, sword, and claw are mighitier then the pen.
user posted image

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 19 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Alchemists

i dont think that was an "official" dvd set, if it was in english. but i'm sure they have the series in japanese, and since it was a dvd, they probably have subtitles as an option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Volte
post Jul 27 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 17,955

Or you could just buy the DVDs with the episodes you like.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Longsword
post Jul 27 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 16,814

This also depends if you can speak Japanese or not, and whether you have multi-region dvd player. You can get the entire series pretty cheap on import, but the subbing is atrocious and there is no dubbing. I have the entire series on Japanese release, but Funimation has much higher production values of course.

--------------------
Link to the sound of my avatar!
The weak are killed and eaten.
IPB Image
おまえはもう死んでいる (Omae wa mou shindeiru) You are already dead

+Quote Post
adamclark
post Jul 27 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #10

Alchemists

i agree with you, Longsword. I've watched season two online and think the job of the subbing was very poor. I think one episode did a decent job of translating the opening credits and dialogue (and it was the last episode too!).

but in terms of an American "box set," i've read that late 05 they will come out with the next box dvd set (the first being volume one with the soundtrack.) Now I don't know what it will contain, considering by that time only volume 6 will be out, and that does not cover all of season one.

but it will be a box set...of something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jul 27 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #11

Guests

There are no english subtitles on the official Japanese DVD release of FMA. It's either from an HK-DVD, which is usually Region 0, has low quality english(and chinese) subtitles, and costs way less than it should for the complete series. Or it was a fansubbed version, which you shouldn't be paying for.

You cannot get the series cheap on import, www.cdjapan.co.jp sells the real DVDs and they cost about $50 USD per volume. So the series is several hundred dollars for the real thing.

+Quote Post
Longsword
post Jul 28 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 16,814

QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 27 2005, 08:21 PM)
There are no english subtitles on the official Japanese DVD release of FMA. It's either from an HK-DVD, which is usually Region 0, has low quality english(and chinese) subtitles, and costs way less than it should for the complete series.
[snapback]229578[/snapback]

Yup, I believe it is the HK version I was referring to originally -got the the complete series as a gift, so I presume it was cheap. To answer the original posters question then... Yes, if you are not willing to await for the complete series and the inevitable boxed set, you need to hunt down the lowest prices you can find, which might be Amazon/Ebay/other discount online stores.

--------------------
Link to the sound of my avatar!
The weak are killed and eaten.
IPB Image
おまえはもう死んでいる (Omae wa mou shindeiru) You are already dead

+Quote Post
Kooy
post Jul 28 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #13

Citizen

Member No.: 18,000

yea as he said the thats 75 buck is the full dvd box set but it's in japanese if i wer eyou i would just wait for the complete box. Thats what i am doing. Besides it will cost you more money in the long run

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
AlphonseRules
post Jul 28 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE(aytchmadd @ Jul 19 2005, 01:06 PM)
you do realize that buying them each individually will cost more in the long run?  if want to watch them just rent them. buy the box set when it comes out.
[snapback]218459[/snapback]

But then you're blowing your savings on renting each volume anyway.

I'd say an official box set would be at least 150 and probably closer to 200, if they ever come out with one.

--------------------
I'm still waiting for Al to rip someone in half.

+Quote Post
Scars of love
post Jul 29 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 16,792

Just by the damn dvds as they come out. a box set won't be for a while. i think the they're having another starter set for season 2 near the end of the year not a boxseet. if 4 episodes is 20 bucks just think how much a boxset with 25 episodes would cost.....don't be a moron buy them now. or just tape them. but unless you have broadband and download videos online then you won't see the full endings of FMA that can only be seen on the DVDs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css