HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winry Or Rose? Who do you like better?, (This is NOT "which one do you like for Ed" poll!!)
Who's your favourite?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 405
Guests cannot vote 
xrninja
post Jul 13 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #16

Moderator Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 501

hmm...i like both Winry and Rose, but i really respect and admire Rose's strength of character, despite all that she had to suffer through. so she was in denial and was generally unlikeable in the first two episodes...i don't think i would have acted much differently if i had been in her place.

and like Shinsei Kage said, don't let your opinion on who should be paired with Ed affect your opinion of their characters. >__>;;

--------------------
- ON HIATUS UNTIL COLLEGE STOPS KICKING MY ASS -
ninja + quis = <3

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_Isiserah/Iyami_*_*
post Jul 13 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #17

Guests

Actually to tell you the truth, Winry's dressing is very...revealing, (I hate mini skirts and short shorts and one black strips used as a top, I mean damn gurl, we understand you got curves but really, you're attracting all the pimps) but Rose isn't a slut either...that's, defintely not true. That term is now just used for someone somebody doesn't like now. But I still don't like her to be a fav, she's "whatever" to me, meaning an okay but not fav character for me.

Winry cries, but there's something about Rose that's disturbing. Now, I'm only judging on ep. 1 and 2, she wasn't able to reach her truth or move on at that time. She cried. Shouldn't cry. Should be strong and walk on your own two feet. You shouldn't dwell on the past, you gotta keep your mind on the future now. Saying this as kind as possible!!

Winry mostly cries for Ed...I can't blame her for that. Heck, that's cute. Rose, is never my fav. Just to say, she kinda annoyed me very irkingly in ep. 1. She got on my nerves, the attitude, and her naive streak. Gees that Holy Priest really pissed me off. Since when did a priest shoot at people with large miltary gun tinies?! How could she really believe his words after seeing something like that? "Holy" or "good" man? What holy man does that???? dry.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jul 14 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #18

Guests

Well, I'd say Winry. Although I like Rose well enough, there's still something about her that doesn't make me like her as much as I do Winry.

Winry is a strong character. Sure, she cries, but she cries mostly for Ed and Al, rarely herself. In the manga, her character is much deeper. And I can only remember three times where she really cried her eyes out in the manga as well, perhaps even less (there could be more in the manga or anime, but the important ones I remember) She's loyal and faithful, always waiting for the two Elrics as they gallavant all over Amestris doing who-knows-what. Winry knows what they're trying to do is important to them and doesn't try to stop them from doing what they have to do, even though she worries her head off over them. Her parents died at a young age and, despite the fact that she knew who the killer was and had her chance to pull the trigger (manga), she didn't exact revenge. And I admire her for being strong.

Well I think Winry isn't really a likeable character unless you like girls with showy clothes like *some fanboys*. I hate how she dresses.

Her clothes aren't showy. When she's at home, she dresses in a tubetop because regular shirts could get in her way in her line of work. Not to mention it's hot out in the country side and mechanics is hard work. And the pants that she wears is a jumpsuit and that is far from showy. Her regular clothes range from a jacket, a shirt or tank-top, and a skirt or jeans/capris. All of them are relatively simple and normal for a teenager her age. And her movie outfit isn't revealing either. I think that Studio BONES is just trying to make her look overly pretty. Which is why I like manga Winry better.

Rose...well, she doesn't even show up again the manga, yet they make her such an important character later on in the anime even though it was totally unnessecary. It's like BONES made her into their own OC because she was the first female character to ever show up. That's one of the reasons I don't like her all that much.

I think the whole reason why people bring up the whole 'who goes better with Ed' thing is because it's the only reason why people really compare Winry and Rose. And, personally, I prefer the traditional and more than likely cannon Ed x Winry.

+Quote Post
Nya
post Jul 14 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 16,922

oooh I;m so happy 2 c ppl r acatually given reasons for hu they like best and they're not rose bashing (guys no jokes please- was not intened 2 b a pun) and yet again it cool to c there are more EDXRose supporters (bisides the point of this particular discusion but its good to knw im not the only supporter of EdXRose). I persoanlly think Rose is a stronger character she's been through so much, and I knw Winry has too... but after watching like episode 41 u fid out how truly srong Rose is. Come on if any of tht happened to u guys (talkin 2 da male audience as well) most o us wudn't b able to cope as well as she has.

+Quote Post
post Jul 14 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #20

Guests

...Ah-huh...well, okay. I still like Winry, but gurl please put on some clothes (to Winry)! I....don't really support EdxRose, but hey.....okay...

+Quote Post
Satsuka
post Jul 14 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #21

Alchemists

Member No.: 16,427

I only hate Rose in the series,but in the movie I seem to like her since she looks more mature over the past two years.

+Quote Post
Chi21
post Jul 14 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 14,751

I choose Winry Because:
In the 1st and 2nd episode, Rose wasn't ever beleiving Al and Ed. In the end she was the only person to really think about what Al said. Winry really Cares for them and is ALWAYS thinking about them. Winry wants to know more about them, She wants to get along with them. I don't really think that Rose is a good person to pick. I admit that I like Winry Much better than Rose.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
sumflip
post Jul 14 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 6,633

better at what? life? ...well i like both but chose Winry tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Life is but a dream...

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jul 14 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #24

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Mature? Of course Rose gets more mature. Having a baby to care for does that to ya. (Although I can't say that of all teen mothers. >>) She's quite responsible, though, it seems, even from the very few glimpses we caught of her independence.

I choose Winry, in this case. (I'm sure all of the people who've seen me ranting in Rose's defense are doing a big, 'Le gasp'!) I'm very happy Rose got votes, though. She needs more love.

I chose Winry however, because while I do adore Rose, and she makes a top 50 character, Winry makes my top 10 easily. I like her for many of the same reasons I like Tohru from Fruits Basket; because she's a very good nurturing soul, and she's loyal to her friends, and those she loves. (They're both bashed so often, though. Poor Tohru-Chan. ;_;)
The difference is that while Tohru, who is practically a perfect human being (And I don't mean she's literally 'perfect', but that she has such an incredible strong life philosophy and striking determination that's difficult to find in anyone who isn't a saint or Mahatma Gandhi), has affected my life in a way few anime characters have, Winry also has a very upbeat and energetic personality, and many more flaws and weaknesses that only make her more endearing. While Tohru goes on with the simple guestures of cooking and housework for the ones she loves, and helps them with the small but incredibly meaningful gift of true unabashed understanding and acceptance, so does Winry, but in different ways. She lets Ed and Al know she cares by waiting for them, (And sometimes by beating them... with love!) and she works hard to help people. It's not just mechanics she does; she, at a very young age, is a medical aid to others. She helps people to walk again. It's a simple and at the same time very valuable and complex gift to give.
She uses her knowledge and passion to help her best friends in the most significant way she can. She supports their decisions, even when it makes her sick with worry, and terrified for their lives.

There's just very little not to love about Winry. Heck, even her clothes are cute. (Not so much her mechanics outfit, which she wears rarely anyhow)

So... in conclusion... that is why I love Winry. She's just.... nice. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elderberry
post Jul 14 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #25

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 726

QUOTE(Kasumi-san)
Is this referring to the anime or the manga? Because if it's the manga, it's no doubt Winry, but if it's the anime, then it'd be a close one for me.
Good point. Winry in the anime is alright, but if this poll were just for the manga I'd definitely choose Winry as well. happy.gif (Roze also seems to be much more developed in the anime...)

QUOTE(Guest-san)
Her clothes aren't showy. When she's at home, she dresses in a tubetop because regular shirts could get in her way in her line of work. Not to mention it's hot out in the country side and mechanics is hard work. And the pants that she wears is a jumpsuit and that is far from showy.
I agree. If you pay attention you'll notice that she usually ties the top half of her jumpsuit around her waist when not working on mechanics.

QUOTE( Guest-Isiserah/Iyami-san)
Now, I'm only judging on ep. 1 and 2, she wasn't able to reach her truth or move on at that time. She cried. Shouldn't cry. Should be strong and walk on your own two feet. You shouldn't dwell on the past, you gotta keep your mind on the future now. Saying this as kind as possible!!
Of course that's easy to say. But she's lost absolutely everything before, and practically lost everything she could have hope in all over again. How many of you would just pick yourself up and start working towards the future without a second thought? ohmy.gif

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -
Currently designated as Marvelous Mechanic of the P!MP Mobile for the GP.
I've taken Foolmetal-kun under my wing as my GP Deshi-in training.

+Quote Post
post Jul 14 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #26

Guests

I don't mean gradually, not right away or anything. Okay she just ain't my fav 'kay? She's "whatever" for me. She just irked me for a minute through ep. 2 too. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I guess that's right about Winry's clothes. I tried my best to tell my mom she only wears that tube top and stuff when she's working on automail and such! I just still don't like mini skirts. But I like Winry. She's kewl for the wrench and guts too gurl! That's some self-defense weapon, eh? Well....for me it would be. Poor Ed....I can imagine how many bumps he can get.....! lol

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jul 14 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #27

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

It's not a miniskirt. It's more like a.... midi... skirt.

I like it. I have one just like it, too. (Yuka-san gave it to me. happy.gif) It goes well with pretty much anything. Specially knee-highs and such. (Sorry. That's grotesquely off-topic tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
NightMistress
post Jul 14 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 10,212

It gets quite annoying when people like to put words in your mouth about something. "You fangirls hate Winry/Rose because she has a chance to take your precious Ed away from you." For the record, I'm more of a Roy fangirl than an Ed fangirl, yet you don't see me bashing Riza to high heaven. She's probably my favorite female character of the show. Rather, if you've been here for the past several months, you may be well aware that I am a very active (arguably obsessive) Roy/Riza shipper. I love Ed (and yeah in the 'I think he's hott way') and I love Winry so it works out great for me. People can stick with their belief (or preference) that it's more brother-sister if they'd like, but it factually isn't (at least where the manga's concerned). I ship EdWin pretty darn strongly too (heck, I may be more vocal about them than Royai since you can argue their relationship more in the anime).

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I posted my reasoning to my dislike for Rose. Someone else said the same thing as me earlier in this thread, but I'm copying and pasting the whole thing again. It contains anime and slight manga spoilers.

I find Rose completely uninteresting. When I think of her, I think of BONES doing a bad job at making an introductory character from the manga into their own OC. They didn't have as much to go on with her so tried making stuff up. She's in the manga for such a short time that you can't get a true sense of her personality aside from not having a mind of her own and needing to be told what to do all the time. Yet BONES puts her in the anime a lot to try to make her important for some reason. That's probably the root of it all as to why she's so annoying. Furthermore, while most of the characters have a tragedy or two, it seems like they pile it on extra thick for her in order to inspire sympathy. Damsels in Distress have always annoyed me (especially anime ones). First she's an orphan, then she's lost her boyfriend, then she realizes her beliefs were a big fat lie, then she gets raped by some soldier to end up with a baby and unable to speak, then she's taken by Dante (and since she doesn't strike me as being very independent, I think it was a mix of her voluntarily going with her, along with a mild influence from Dante). Yadda yadda yadda what sucky thing will they do to her next? dry.gif

Winry, however, has such a vibrant personality. She's not into being girly with the jewelry and the hair and the men. No, she likes to get gritty with automail and other technical things. She's inquisitive and curious by always wanting to know how stuff works. She has a unique outlook on life. I've said it once and I'll say it again that she has set Ed up with top of the line automail that has saved his arse time and time again. And yet she still keeps working for his sake to make it even better. She's very intelligent and talented like Ed is for their age. She still hurts herself too:

In the manga, she has a complete breakdown when she sees the murderer (Scar) of her parents. She wants to shoot him, but doesn't. At that moment, I felt so bad for her. Part of my sympathy had to have come from her character bringing something to the table for me to enjoy.

She also had to deal with this issue in the anime. She learns that Roy was the one who killed her parents, yet she still found it in her heart to truly understand the situation and forgive him because she realized that Roy really was a good person who just did what he had to do. To be able to forgive someone for that at ANY age (especially a young and confusing age) is admirable in itself. Say what you want, but that proved to me that her incredible strength.

When bad events happened to Rose, I didn't feel this way at all. I mean, I knew that it sucked, but I didn't care. I wanted to move on and see what else was going to happen next with the rest of the bunch.

I do agree that manga Winry is better than anime Winry, but you can still eek out enough great things with anime Winry too.

--------------------
Forum siblings: zarpia (my not so big sis) Fullmetal Fangirl (my very much so lil sis) ~FMAgurl~ (another very much so lil sis) MustEd4ever (another very lil sis) Drina (lil sis)

+Quote Post
Grengo
post Jul 14 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 15,896

Fair enough tongue.gif A strong argument against Rose and one that I can't really put down due to different tastes.

--------------------
The only EdxRose supporter in the planet

+Quote Post
post Jul 14 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #30

Guests

Toby-chan: *sobs* I don't have any skirts like that....my mother would never let me wear anything like that as long as I live under her roof! ....*curls in a ball* THE SHAME!! Even if it were to be the gift from my grandma or something, she won't let me wear one!!

Night Mistress: *points to you* You took everything out of my mouth, I don't need to say anymore. I never really got the chance to read or...see Rose in the manga all the way through...Must go to Barnes and Nobles!!! laugh.gif Hey, I just realized I've never been into dismals in distress like that...alright I discovered something new.

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 05:38 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css