HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Abortion, I'm serious...
Are you for or against abortion?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 240
Guests cannot vote 
~FMAgurl~
post Jun 26 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,210

I had an argument with my friend about this, so I wanted to know what you guys thought. Do you support or oppose abortion? Give an explanation to why if you can. If you aren't mature enough to discuss this than don't post.

I personally am against abortion because it's just like murder. That and also because I'm Catholic...but that's another discussion. Anyway, if people know that they can get pregnant from having sex, then they shouldn't do it at all of they're not willing to accept the possible consequences.

Edit: If you mods think this is a bad idea, considering that you have been here a lot longer than me...than close this.

--------------------

"Stand tall, smile bright, and let 'em wonder what secret's making you laugh." -Angels and Demons

**My sig and avy are NOT my photography**
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
53 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
NightMistress
post Jun 26 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 10,212

Considering how extremely controversial this topic is, I don't know if it will last very long. Anyways, I chose the "depends" option because it depends on the situation. If you don't use the proper birth control techniques before you hit the sheets, then you need to accept the consequences. But if you get raped, you shouldn't be forced to have some rapist's baby. Also, if you have health problems and the doctors know that you won't be able to carry it to term without killing yourself, then it should also be up to you. Personally, I don't get in anyone's business where that's concerned. It's their decision and their body. They are the ones that will have to deal with the emotional and physical consequences that come with it. I am not a mother, and have never been pregnant thankfully. As a matter of fact, the older I get the more it freaks me out and the less I like kids. However, if I were in a situation of an unwanted pregnancy, I doubt I would have the heart to get rid of it. I am hoping to never be in that situation and have a baby when I'm completely ready so there is no doubt in my mind at all. For now though, cute, fluffy puppies and kitties are my babies smile.gif

--------------------
Forum siblings: zarpia (my not so big sis) Fullmetal Fangirl (my very much so lil sis) ~FMAgurl~ (another very much so lil sis) MustEd4ever (another very lil sis) Drina (lil sis)

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Jun 26 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Rasta Maldita

Member No.: 4,384

I totally agree with you NightMistress, it depends on the person, even if they have been raped some of them chose to keep the baby, wich i concider maybe a good opttion, coz in the future that baby may have emotioal problems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
~FMAgurl~
post Jun 26 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #4

I agree that is a very good argument, NightMistress. You have a point smile.gif. I still don't like the idea of it though.

--------------------

"Stand tall, smile bright, and let 'em wonder what secret's making you laugh." -Angels and Demons

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Jun 26 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #5

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

Reminds me of the argument Bacon and I had with Bling. biggrin.gif

I also stand by NightMistress' assessment. The situation does alter mindsets. I am opposed to the killing of innocent people, but if someone who would be a very irresponsible parent got pregnant (and did not want the baby at all) wanted an abortion, I would not stop her. What's the point of having a child you hate? You may end up ruining the child's life, and if you cannot support your child, then the child will likely lead a very miserable life. I wouldn't want children to feel misery they don't deserve.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
~FMAgurl~
post Jun 26 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Can a mod make a "Depends" option? I have a feeling that a lot of people will choose it smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Jun 26 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Done, and I voted for it. smile.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
~FMAgurl~
post Jun 26 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #8

Thanks Quistis happy.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Jun 27 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #9

Rasta Maldita

Member No.: 4,384

I didn't voted untill quiss made that third option, and i voted for the tird one

--------------------

+Quote Post
edsgirl
post Jun 27 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #10

Brigadier General

Member No.: 2,682

I'm definately going to go with the depends option. A woman has the right to decide whether or not they want to bring a child into this world. No matter what the circumstances may be. I believe it is completely up to them.

--------------------

I put the 'ow' in 'yowee'. >:3 by Bacon Bits :P

+Quote Post
Lord Odenetheus
post Jun 27 2005, 01:24 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 677

I hate the "abortion = murder" arguement. You eat meat, do you not? Some of the animals we choose to eat are very sentient, and rather intelligent, capable of fear, despair etc.. I don't dislike abortion, in fact, I think that only one child allowed per two persons, one child per couple.

Sexual intercourse for pleasure should be prohibited, and will be prohibited in due time. Blergh! Disgusting! Thusly no one could say "it was an accident" if there is no such thing as an unreproductional sexual session.

--------------------
"Ceterum censeo Lapplendiem esse delendam!"

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jun 27 2005, 04:45 AM
Post #12

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

Abortion issue is based primarily on whether or not the unborn child is a human being or not. The issue becomes much easier to deal with once that is decided. If the unborn child is human, then abortion is wrong under the current law and under most concepts of morality (i.e. it's wrong to kill except for self-defense). If the unborn child is not a human being, then abortion becomes less of a problem and more of a personal choice (i.e. like an elective surgery to remove an appendix).

I hate arguments that talk about women's rights alone. It actually doesn't matter what a woman wants if the unborn child is truly human as that would be killing a human being. So a woman's right to choose isn't sufficient to decide the issue alone. The comparison would be any person's right to kill another human being for the purpose of eliminating a serious inconvenience.

Having said all that, the issue certainly isn't as black and white as the morally abstracted ethical debate. I would never fault someone for having had an abortion or consider anything less of them. My personal feeling is that it's wrong for the sole reason that the unborn child is human, but I am not in a position to "condemn" any actions to terminate. All I ask is that whoever is about to make the decision to realize that there is a strong possibility that you are killing a human being. If you can still justify it after that, I really can't say anymore at this point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Jun 27 2005, 07:45 AM
Post #13

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

Didn't we already have this discussion?

Didn't it end in tears and bruised egos?

Anyhoo,

IPB Image

+

IPB Image

=

IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jun 27 2005, 08:51 AM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

Bacon, you are appealing to the public health aspect of abortion. The fact that if it's not legal, people will cause damage to themselves to have abortions as they will anyway.

This isn't an appropriate argument for abortion proper and actually is not convincing in any way to deter anti-abortion arguments. It's more of a secondary issue. If abortion is morally wrong, then public health of practicing it doesn't matter. Should I be comfortable and safe when I decide to kill someone? I'd rather it be safe and healthy, but if it is considered killing a human being, then no amount of "safety" for abortions will make it something other than killing human beings.

The issue is about metaphysics primarily. Determine that first and then you can talk about the pragmatics of societal responsibility and health.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Jun 27 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Isn't there also debate on when a fetus is considered "human"? Some say it is already a human on the moment of conception, and some say it doesn't count as a human being until it shows consciousness in the womb, or takes on the form of what resembles a human.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post

53 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 12:12 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css