HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
So... Who Else Hates Cosplay?! Tell us why you don't like cosplay (in general or certain cosplay), (Pro-cosplay fans please kindly refrain from posting rebuttal ^^)
Forsaken Love
post Jun 23 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,408

lol you do have a point XD (even though you never actually see romi paku, Al's voiced by a girl too, and so is Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man and probably loads of other male anime characters too, Yuki in fruits basket MUST be voiced by a girl XD well he obviously is, but he's a girly character...argh going off track!)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jun 23 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #47

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Chiyo @ Jun 23 2009, 07:37 PM) *
And for those who rant about the wrong gender, remember who does the voice of Ed (in the original anime, not the dubbed).

Well, voiced by a female or a female dressing up as male are two different things, in my opinion. biggrin.gif

As I said, if someone can pull it off nicely, then it's all fine. But if females with speficially "femaily" curves go and cosplay a male character just looks.. weird. O_o I've seen these many times. Sudden realization of seeing Ed/Roy having boobs and female curves just.. makes me twitch at times. XD but, each to their own.

As for being voiced by female, this is a very common thing even outside of Japan, so I don't have any problems with that one. 8D (heck, in a finnish Pokémon dub Ash was voiced by a woman. )

QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Jun 23 2009, 03:48 AM) *
I see what you're saying here and I'll admit I share your opinion. I don't think of it as a dumb hobby per se, but IMO I see cosplayers as insecure people who find some sort of security in them by cosplaying as a hero/beautful/well-liked/ etc. character. Oh god, that so didn't turn out right. Uh, how do I say this without sounding like a complete ignoramus?... Well, I really don't know how, but all I can say is that it bugs the hell out of me when people can't pull it off and they probably know it and do it anyways.

I don't have much of a problem with the quality of the costume (except for the weird twitch I get when the FMA military uniform is the wrong shade of blue... same goes with Ed's coat being bright red sometimes...) but it's mainly just the people who can't pull a cosplay out of their [All hail lord Xenu] even if they had plastic surgery or lypo done to them (no offense).

But that's just my opinion.

I can see your point as well. smile.gif Surely there might be people like these that like to 'cover' behind the costume and hide their insecureness.. but personally I've never thought of that. Cosplaying a favourite character of yours is just simply fun, for me. biggrin.gif (I do have a low self-esteem, but.. It's quite the opposite for me, as it feels quite a stunt to pull off, to dress up as someone else in a public city area. )

As for the colours.. it's a really hard thing to pull off, alright. To find the exactly right tone of red/blue/whatever from the shops and.. stuffs. You'd basically have to print out an image of the character and go measure different materials with that one. XD I've never been paying attention to this point, but.. yeah. If the tone is TOTALLY different from the original, I'd surely moan, too.

(I'm not exactly sure how my Tetra cosplay will turn out.. I'm still wondering how to fix up my hair in a way that it looks natural and.. Tetra-like. But well.. it's going to be my first cosplay anyway, it's not like I have any experience yet.. I hope people won't laugh at me. 8'D That's what I've been really afraid of now, after reading this thread. *shot*
..and I'm DEFINTELY trying to stay off from felt now! XD Thanks for the info.)

Woot, and here I go again, writing a novel out of my thoughts. Sorry 8'D

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Jun 27 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

MUST. RANT. TOO.

Cosplayers... they're nice people, I'm sure... but some of them are just so clueless! Either their costume is completely lazy... I've seen an Ed cosplayer who wore a red sweatshirt with the symbol on the back. Really? A sweatshirt???

..And then there's the Winry cosplayers who do NOT have her figure!! Don't mean to be rude at all, but I found this one girl on devart... she had quite a gut and some bad stretch marks. However, she decided to wear Winry's most revealing costume. Now, I can understand if an overweight girl really admires Winry and wants to cosplay her.. but there are other outfits Winry wears that you can choose from. So why choose the MOST unflattering one?! It drives me nuts!

Anyway, most of the FMA military uniforms I've seen have been fairly decent... although sometimes the weird colors throw me off.

But god..... Sailor Bubba, anyone? sleep.gif And nearly EVERY Inuyasha cosplay I've ever seen has been horrible. *shudders* I'm not even an Inuyasha fan.. but gosh. I at least know what the characters look like, since I used to be a fan!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Jun 27 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #49

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 23 2009, 07:09 PM) *
(heck, in a finnish Pokémon dub Ash was voiced by a woman. )

Just so you know, Ash is also voiced by a woman in the Japanese dub (Rika Matsumoto) AND the English dub (Veronica Taylor).

Ah, cosplay. For me, I SPECIFICALLY look for cosplays I can pull off 100%, and BUY my costumes. For example, I've been Ino Yamanaka and Haruhi Suzumiya, both female characters. But I've also been Gothic Lolita!Kakashi Hatake.

But! My friends have been male characters, and have pulled them off perfectly fine. Like so:

Autumn as Azure Kite from .hack//G.U.
Autumn's Sister as L from Death Note
Cait as Korea from Axis Powers Hetalia

And as you can see, they ALL pulled of their cosplays nicely. So as far as Crossplaying goes, it's not all that bad. Some male characters are better portrayed by females :/ (Actually, at AN, I saw a Male!Misty. And he was awesome.)

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Huggalot
post Jun 29 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 69,787

Though I cosplay myself(just barely), I have to agree with the whole cosplay statement. It can be an insult and all the the characters of the anime, but it's a free country. Why can't you dress up? It's fun. You get compliments, You do a little in-character activities; I don't see why people should hate it. If people dislike the cosplay idea, then don't go to places where it happens 100% of the time. Im talking conventions. Pictures. Skits on youtube and whatnot.

Simple: If you don't like it, don't look at it. That's all.

D:

--------------------
Regretfully, Persons of the female gender are presently unaware of the nature, shape, or form of my genitalia.

+Quote Post
Sword Alchemist
post Jun 30 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #51

Alchemists

Member No.: 17,591

I dont see what the big problem is in cosplay. I mean, it's just fans geeking it up and having a good time. Dont take it so seriously.

+Quote Post
Little Washu
post Jun 30 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #52

Lt. General

Member No.: 31,492

QUOTE (Huggalot @ Jun 29 2009, 10:05 PM) *
It can be an insult and all the the characters of the anime

Only if the cosplayer is 800 lbs while the character is like, 20 lbs.

I mean a female dressing as a male and vice versa, not really insulting. I'm a girl, and I don't plan to stop cosplaying Kakashi anytime soon.

--------------------

d a| Y a k u s o k u |t u m b l r

+Quote Post
Huggalot
post Jul 1 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #53

Citizen

Member No.: 69,787

Females are usually great cosplayers when it comes to most anime. Since in anime, the males usually have feminine features. You usually never see a guy cosplay unless they're cosplaying someone like Scar or Armstrong. Something like that. xD There ARE male cosplayers. But 99% of the time, females do it better.

--------------------
Regretfully, Persons of the female gender are presently unaware of the nature, shape, or form of my genitalia.

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jul 1 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #54

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 68,646

I have a love hate relationship with cosplay...good cosplay is awesome, bad cosplay makes me cringe, but epically bad cosplay is awesome in it's own way. I personally don't do it, but if other people want to that's none of my business.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy-chan
post Jul 9 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #55

Citizen

Member No.: 46,936

Okay, here's a good argument for both sides: http://infinitycosplay.deviantart.com/art/...emist-111841548

Female. Cosplayed as Edward Elric. By far, from this picture, THE BEST Edward ever. However, she said herself, her face didn't really resemble Ed's and Blonde was not a good hair color for her.

BUT, NOBODY in this thread can say that that picture up there is horrid. It's amazing.

Now, I cosplay a lot. In fact, I'm working on a cosplay right now. I usually cosplay males, because I don't feel comfortable with a lot of female outfits. (Lets face it- it's hard to find curvy female characters that aren't skimpy.) Yes, I'm curvy. But guess what? I bind. I can pull off cosplays well, and if there's a cosplay I did that was not good at all, I don't cosplay that person again. But I cosplay mainly because it's fun. Do I want to look good? Of course!

I hate terrible cosplays, but I don't hate the people. I saw a Itoshiki-sensei cosplayer who didn't even look like Itoshiki, but I hung out with him and talked to him and now we're really good friends. I don't understand why people hate cosplayers so much. ._.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jul 10 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #56

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

I don't hate cosplayers, I just find that quite a bit of cosplay is average at best in quality. Most of the ones that you see in conventions are done by average people with a wide range of physiques, but in anime, there is really only a hand-full of kinds of physiques. The twiggy, the curvy, and the muscular. There are a few exceptions, but most follow this, and lets face it, not all girls can meet the expectations of the glorified versions of the female form expressed in many of the shows we know and love. (Nor can the men compete with the chizzled physique of many of the most admired shonen protagonists.) That said, the few that make my jaw drop is what I go to the conventions for. On a separate note, this may sound discriminatory, but I think that Japanese people make the best cosplayers. If you do an image search for "great cosplay" you will find that most of the people with the truly great costumes are the Japanese.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Trakonda
post Jul 16 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #57

Apprentice

Member No.: 52,583

QUOTE (Little Washu @ Jun 28 2009, 07:50 AM) *
QUOTE (Trakonda @ Jun 23 2009, 07:09 PM) *
(heck, in a finnish Pokémon dub Ash was voiced by a woman. )

Just so you know, Ash is also voiced by a woman in the Japanese dub (Rika Matsumoto) AND the English dub (Veronica Taylor).

Ah, alrighty then. biggrin.gif Thanks for the info. So yeah, this is very common in all countries, it seems.

Anyways, just to tell you that Finland's Animecon is done and over with, I went there with my Tetra cosplay. People took pictures of me, and I heard many compliments from the Zelda fans. So yeah, overall I had a really positive experience. smile.gif So did my friends. They had tons of fun with their cosplays too, and this was the very first time for them, as well.

I did see some badly-made costumes from some characters, but heck.. it's all about having fun, after all. I have no regrets anymore, I might just as well cosplay again in next year's convention. Now after experiencing the fun of it I realize why exactly people do it. And even if everyone didn't have good-looking costumes, I'm sure they still had hard time making them for the convention, and I had no reason to complain. I might suggest everyone try it out at least once in their life.. who knows, it might be a fun experience for you too. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post May 29 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #58

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

QUOTE (fullmetal_freak_92 @ Jun 21 2005, 03:39 PM) *
Note from moderator: This is a safe-harbor thread where members can safely express negative opinions about cosplay without getting rebuttal from pro-cosplay fans. Pro-cosplay fans, please kindly refrain from making such rebuttal posts. (But, if you'd like to have "debate/discussion" on these topics, we can also open such "discussion" thread. smile.gif )

dry.gif No offense, but I purely do not understand the purpose of cosplay. I truly hate the insult that it puts on the real characters. I've seen Edward turned into a fat fourteen year old girl before. It's sad and depressing those sort of people would even try... I mean Halloween is fine... but I mean CONVENTIONS?!?!? I mean go ahead and do it for fun. But you can't look like a character. It doesn't work like that! Who here aggrees? blink.gif

........ huh.gif Well, I still don't like it. even though no one posted. Please post sometime..... dry.gif

You're free to have that opinion.

Personally though I actually have some level of respect for people who cosplay characters that they look nothing like. Most of the time they probably know that they don't really look like the character and they probably know that someone is going to voice to them that they don't like it.

So those people are actually kind of brave in a sense because I don't think I could bring myself to cosplay a character I look nothing like. I don't have the guts. Plus I just know that my effort into making/affording the costume will pay off more the more I look like the character. That's just a fact. I feel like I get more value out of my effort. The amount of compliments I've had on my Envy costume is really touching to me and I feel like it was worth everything I put into it, especially since I also totally adore Envy. 99.9% of the comments I've gotten about it have been positive. The negative comments I have received about it tend to be "Envy's not a girl." and "Envy's hair isn't black." and the people who say Envy's hair isn't black just honestly make themselves look like they don't know as much about FMA when they say that...since it is black in the manga, even on coloured pages. Either black or green is still correct in my opinion since he is given both those colours in different things. I do also have a green wig too anyway.

Anyway, although I am a girl...I really don't have womanly curves or large breasts or anything. So I can look fairly androgynous like Envy. Not to mention Envy isn't TRULY either specific gender....even though the form he normally takes is more male. Envy is also voiced by women in both Japanese series and also the dub of both series.

QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Jun 22 2009, 08:48 PM) *
lmaorotflol; I know I'm contradicting myself by initially saying I don't mind the quality of the costume, but when it's felt... Oh God, that is absolutely horrible. Felt, IMO, is the worst type of "cloth" for any kind of clothing.

Well I used thick felt for both of my Envy wigs. I think it works really well for his hair actually....but I can't imagine wearing it as clothing either because I think that would feel quite uncomfortable actually. If people do it though I don't have a problem with it. I simply think it would be uncomfortable and it wouldn't be my choice.

EDIT:

Anyway I hope the mods don't see this as me making a 'rebuttle' post so to speak because I'm not bashing anyone for having a different opinion. It's just friendly discussion and I saw Chiyo make a similar post on the page before this and she's a mod.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Schnabeltier
post May 30 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #59

Citizen

Member No.: 81,123

I'm fairly indifferent to cosplay, I get that it's people's personal brand of fun and, well, different strokes for different folks. I just dislike the culture associated with cosplay. Certain people can be rude, as far as I know, and feel that them being "in character" is a justification for harassing or being obnoxious towards other people who aren't involved. Then there's entitlement and plain old popularity getting to people's heads. Then again, not everyone is like this, and you find these kinds of people everywhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post May 30 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #60

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

QUOTE (Schnabeltier @ May 30 2011, 11:26 AM) *
I'm fairly indifferent to cosplay, I get that it's people's personal brand of fun and, well, different strokes for different folks. I just dislike the culture associated with cosplay. Certain people can be rude, as far as I know, and feel that them being "in character" is a justification for harassing or being obnoxious towards other people who aren't involved. Then there's entitlement and plain old popularity getting to people's heads. Then again, not everyone is like this, and you find these kinds of people everywhere.

Yeah that's true....I mean I cosplay Envy but that doesn't mean I should start to actually be really mean to people.

Also, yeah I don't think it's so good when people claim to be the "best" cosplayer of a certain character. In my case I just know my cosplay is good which I base on the fact that I've had a lot of positive compliments(not from me just thinking it's good, there is justification behind it due to the reaction I've had from many people) and I do think that people should be able to have a bit of pride in their cosplay....but there is a fine line between that and acting arrogant.

Whenever someone claims to be the best cosplayer of a certain character..... dry.gif

If people want to come up to me and tell me I'm the best Envy they have ever seen that is their choice and I'll take the compliment but I will never truly think that I actually am the best. It's just arrogant to go down that path. Besides who's to say that everyone who told me that has even seen every other Envy cosplay that exists? They probably haven't.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css