HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Did You Pick Up Manga?, what made you interested in manga??
Full Metal SHORT...
post Jun 13 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #166

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,454

I became interested in Manga because... hmm.... I had been watching HEAPS of anime, with FMA being the favourite, and I suddenly wondered, 'what would the books form of these anime's be like?'

So I started with Vampire knight, which was pretty good smile.gif Then FMA smile.gif

--------------------

OK, so I'm tall in real life... just imagine me as short... :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Jun 14 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #167

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

i picked up manga only to know the other story of fma...(the manga storyline)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carmencita
post Jun 23 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #168

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,440

EDITED BECAUSE NOW THE STORY IS BETTER EXPLAINED
It was 2nd grade and there was this manga my friend was reading. Amazing Agent Luna. I didn't even know what manga was back then, only anime. And the only anime I enjoyed was Pokemon so...
Years later in 5th grade I met my best friend over the word "Inuyasha" and after weeks of talking about anime I asked if she thought there were books for our favorite anime and she said "yes". She then explained the concept of manga.
2 weeks later I stepped into Barnes and Noble and I found something that look so familiar... Whats this...? Amazing Agent luna is a manga! I bought it and read it. there's my wodnerrful story. x3 You should know the end.

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jul 27 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #169

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

I wanted to see what was different about the Sailor Moon manga compared to the anime. ^^

and...

I thought it looked pretty.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
Omamori
post Jul 27 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #170

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 52,106

I think I was about 15-almost 16 yrs old when a couple friends (who were both big anime/manga fans) and myself took a trip to the bookstore. At the time, I absolutely detested anything related to anime and manga, a ridiculous hatred that started after realizing that Haruka and Michiru (Amara and Michelle) from Sailor Moon were lesbians (and, of course, I was extremely anti-gay/homo) and that Cardcaptor Sakura (Cardcaptors) was really about not just the cards but love in all forms and relationships :/ Yeah. I was pretty...hardcore.

Well, I was bored at the bookstore and followed my friends to the manga section. I saw 'Fullmetal Alchemist' and decided to flip through it; it looked interesting :3 I couldn't buy it, so once we left, we headed to the library and I checked out vol. 1. Got myself immediately hooked!

Guess you could say FMA saved me from my anime/manga hate tongue.gif Heh. Now I'm one of those overly-obsessed fangirls *shot*

--------------------

-------------------
||
DeviantArt||
-------------------
Set by Omamori

+Quote Post
KwiatekAlchemist
post Jul 27 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #171

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 70,538

I picked up manga only because my one friend got me into it. xD

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jan 21 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #172

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

I think I was 12.

I had been watching Detective Conan on Adult Swim, and my sister had been watching it with me, as well as Naruto on cartoon network. We went to Barnes and Noble, and she wanted to buy the magna for Naruto. However, it was then that she saw they had a manga series for Detective Conan, so she decided to buy that instead.

Because she bought it, I got interested and read it too xD And it all just sort of went from there.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
KimbleeWorshippe...
post Jan 22 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #173

Citizen

Member No.: 75,852

Oh, well that's actually a pretty good one...

My two best friends were SUPER into it last year and I had never read it or watched it. So every time we'd hang out (which wasn't a lot 'cause I was off at college and they were still in high school) we'd do something FMA related. It was actually kind of annoying after a while because I wasn't into it, and yet I was kind of forced into doing stuff related to it. But I powered through it 'cause I love them to pieces tongue.gif

Of course, after about a year of living like this, I thought "Jeez, there's got to be some reason why they're so into this series. If they like it this much, it has to be good, right?" So while I was hanging around in the city between classes, I went to a bookstore and picked up a few volumes. Ever since then, I've been HOOKED.

Looking back, I can't believe I didn't pick it up sooner. Now FMA is my favorite manga and I enjoy having FMA spasms alongside my friends xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Feb 8 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #174

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

At first I didn't know anime was based on manga. laugh.gif I liked anime, and it wasn't until I started watching One Piece that I found out there was an actual MANGA. *Fail* So I started reading it and I loved it. I still didn't know at this point that I could buy them in this country.

But one day my friend came into the library at college and emptied her bag which was full of her Fruits Basket manga collection, and I looked at them with awe; I'd never seen a "back-to-front" book before and the art inside looked crisp and clear. Then a few weeks later, I started to get into the D. Gray-Man anime, and my other friend told me he collected D.Gray-Man manga, and I asked him how much it was to buy. So then I started collecting manga. D.Gray-man was my first manga collection...aaaaah memories. laugh.gif

(As you can tell, I got into the whole thing pretty late! tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Feb 8 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #175

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 46,559

Well, a lot like Pierrot, I thought there was only anime. =v=; And when I learned about manga, I was generally unimpressed; black and white illustrations, nothing really special.

Then I went to Borders, and bought my very first 'manga', purely out of curiousity (iirc, it was from a Korean company).

I got hooked. The art was awesome, the story was fun; I started to take up drawing at around that time again. I regret nothing!

--------------------
You aren't scared, are you?

+Quote Post
PwnedByPineapple
post Feb 8 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #176

Citizen

Member No.: 76,679

I'd gotten a gift card for Books-A-Million for my birthday, but the store only had one of the books I wanted. I was not happy. Not wanting to leave with just one book (I can't do that at a bookstore), I started browsing all the different book sections. I'd heard about manga, I was getting tired of the usual genres I read, and I wanted something new and different, so I drifted by the manga section and was surprised by the amount they had. I gravitated towards Fullmetal Alchemist because it drew my interest; it wasn't all bubbly like half the others, and it actually looked pretty cool. Plus, I'd already received a recommendation or two and heard that it was good. Now, I rarely buy books without reading them first, so I was a bit hesitant, but I decided I might as well go for it and bought the first volume. When I got home, I figured out how to read it, and my reaction was somewhere along the lines of, "8D8D8D NO ONE TOLD ME THEY WERE THIS GOOD!" I became a greedy manga reader after that.

And it led to my subsequent enjoyment of anime.

Best impulse buy EVER. (I still have the receipt, too.) Practically changed the way I enjoyed life; I don't know, something about getting into manga/anime gave me a lot more confidence in myself. I'm now a very happy and content nerd.

--------------------

a v a t a r and s i g n a t u r e by: m e

+Quote Post
Chizakura
post Apr 17 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #177

Citizen

Member No.: 79,934

Back when I was 11, I was right into anime. I watched a bunch of anime that came on TV (Pokemon, Digimon, "Cardcaptors", and Gundam Wing.), and one of my friends had a volume of Inuyasha. She referred to it as an "anime book" and as I was right into anime and was also a major bookworm, so the idea seemed so awesome.
On top of that, I did enjoy reading comics, so it was right up my alley.

So the first manga I read was Inuyasha, and from there I started reading tons. At the time it was pretty hard to find new ones as they weren't sold in stores, and I was too young to have a job anyway. Libraries didn't carry them, and at that time websites like Mangafox didn't exist.
So I would ask for some that sounded interesting for birthdays and Christmas for my mom to buy me off of Amazon.ca xD
I also found some via scanlations. At that point the amount of scanlations available were quite limited and pretty much "underground." xD First scanlation I ever read was DNAngel.

Nowadays, it's so EASY to find manga. There's shelves of them in bookstores, there are many at libraries that you can borrow, and now there's manga reading sites and tons of scanlator groups.

By now I've moved on to reading manga in Japanese, but thankfully those are quite easy to find nowadays too. There's a store I bus out to (Book-Off) and they have shelves of Japanese manga.

It seems funny now. Back in the day it was so hard to find English manga, and now I have stacks of Japanese ones. xD

(I'm 21 by the way to put this post in better perspective of how long ago)

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css