HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is Royai Overrated?
Is RoyAi overrated?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 301
Guests cannot vote 
The_Twilight_Tri...
post Nov 19 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #181

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,533

Royai is definitely my favorite pairing in FMA, but I definitely understand why some consider it overrated... Well, I think actually that it depends on what one means by overrated. If it means that teenage fan girls blow it out of proportion into a huge melodramatic romance sometimes, then yes it is. And honestly, I have to say that I'm a bit guilty of it myself. I'm not going to lie. Right now, I fit awkwardly in between going "D'AWW" at every moment and drawing cheesy fan art and really appreciating the complexity and depth of their relationship in more of an adult way of looking at it. Either way, it's the best pairing I've ever come across, and I think that I'll be a big fan for a long time. I think that in the more mature way of viewing Royai, there's something that everyone can appreciate about their relationship. Therefore, I don't think that it's overrated in the sense that there's nothing to appreciate in it because there definitely is.

As for the whole EdWin vs. Royai and how much attention they get respectively, I think that Arakawa writes both relationships very well, but for some reason, I've always felt more of a pull to Royai. Maybe it's because I saw anime one before I read the manga , and developed a distaste for Winry to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I like her a lot better than I did then (She's a much better character in the manga and in Brotherhood thank God...), and I think that hers and Ed's relationship is lovely (definitely unlike the typical teenage romance), but the first anime may be the reason I never became a huge EdWin fan. I support it, I just don't love it as much as Royai. What's weird is that I think it was the very mature love of Royai that drew me to it.... So why did I ever let my inner fangirl make it something it clearly isn't? I'm trying not to let that happen anymore....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Nov 19 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #182

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Honestly, I'm the same way with EdWin. So don't feel too guilty. tongue.gif I've always considered myself more of a "fanboy" than a "fangirl" because I care more about the story in general than I do about "cute couples". Yet I find myself squeeing over every EdxWinry moment (and Royai moment too, lol). And thanks to that shippy EdxWinry picture BONES released, I think I've officially been turned into an EdWin fangirl. biggrin.gif However, like you, I look at it in a mature, thoughtful way and try hard not to fangirl too much. wink.gif

And yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I do think FMA1 has a lot to do with the Royai vs. EdWin thing and the general dislike for Winry. Don't get me wrong; I'm one of the few here who ADORED the first series and still does (well, the first half of it at least)...but if there's one thing I hate about it now, it's that they totally cut out Ed and Winry's awesome relationship. And because of that, Royai gets all the love while EdWin gets either:

"I like it, but not as much as TEH EPIC LOVE KNOWN AS ROYAI"

Or: "ZOMG i hate winry n i hope dat ed and winry never get together cuz i HATE THAT COUPLE!!!11 (ed iz mine lulz)"

OR: "Meh, I think it's just a brother/sister thing. It's better if they just stay friends. Winry might love him, but it's just a little crush and it won't last and it's one-sided blah blah blah..."

ORRR - "NOOOOOOESSSS IT MESSES WITH MY PRECIOUS ED/ROY SHIP!!!"

BTW, I'm fully aware that these are just stereotypes and not everyone fits into them. But from everything I've seen, these are the most common reactions. And I blame it all on FMA1. Grrr... dry.gif

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Nov 20 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #183

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

Well, but flaming any couple, especially cannon ones (which we all can agree that both EdWin and Royai are) is just plain stupid and pointless.

I mean, if you don't like the way the autor portraied the characters, than don't read the manga/watch the anime!

And if people overreact over that paring (which they do!)... well, that's short lived, even more so now, that the story is coming to an end.

I like EdWin a lot, too. And I probably just like Royai better 'cause they're a couple closer to my age/sort of relationship than EdWin, so I relate more to them.

I think that, if so many people like Royai is just because Arakawa made a wonderful work on their relationship than makes you interested and cheering for them, and I don't see anything wrong about that.

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Nov 20 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #184

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

^The thing is, I just don't understand how they DON'T like it! (Edwin and Royai alike) How is that even possible? I mean, here you have story where these two people since the very being have had this attraction and love each other, don't you want them to end up together? When I watch a show, and it has been made apparent that these two are in a couple I don't sit there like, "Wow, I hope those two don't end up together" I just... how?! It does NOT make sense to me.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
EniviD EiraM
post Nov 20 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #185

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,525

If I will get to choose, I still prefer RoyAi than EdWin... why ? Simply because I like it ! And it's kinda fun to watch two grown-ups acting like teens ... soo cute !

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 05:35 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css