HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Vol. 1 (English, North America Version, Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4) From Viz, Gold watch??? Ishbal or Ishval? (Out in the U.S. on May 3, 2005.)
Hagane No Renkin...
post May 11 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,962

interesting point i always bthought i would catch up but that is just me i was concentrateing too much on it being full metal alchemist to see when or how ofter it came out

--------------------
IPB Image

sister to Legolas of Mirkwood
sister to Haldir of Lorien
sister to ~.:Anime_Gal:.~
sister to Chibi Riena
Step into the world of darkness (vampire game) -> http://www.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=11031605
Chronicles in Magic - A Harry Potter role play
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Preypacer
post May 11 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #47

Citizen

Member No.: 12,540

Yay! Just got mine! *grin*

For the comment on the "gold" watch instead of "silver" watch, one of the scanlations I have (maybe Toriyama World? I don't have it marked, but the surrounding chapters I have were from there) translated it as gold as well.

Personally I think silver, like the anime version, looks better than a gold watch, but isn't gold more traditional for pocket watches?

So how do people feel about the overall translation? I have only read fan translated versions, so I don't know how true Viz came to the Japanese version.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post May 11 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #48

Guests

It's impossible for Viz to be printing the latest volumes/chapters at the same time as Japan because:

1. Volumes are made of chapters which comes out one chapter per month in Gangan. So no latest chapter in English every month. Viz doesn't print out a chapter at a time.

2. Volumes take time to compile and clean up and edit. Why do you think the books come out some months after the chapters?

3. It takes time for Viz to translate, set up the printing presses, do quality checks, then print the books. That will take some time, so it is not likely they will be at the same time as the Japanese releases.

The best anyone can hope for is a 1 month interval between the Japanese release with the English one, provided Viz can come up to Vol 10 before Japanese Vol 11 comes out.

+Quote Post
Tsukiko
post May 11 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 13,133

yeah i guess and this would indeed be really good ^^" *always happy anyway cuz the french are so late for fma so sleep.gif" lol ^^*

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image戦うたくわえとあなたはそれを作る: 希望は生命の意味 である

+Quote Post
Steel Alchemist
post May 11 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 9,478

no

--------------------
Steel Alchemist
Hell is other people
You're a sin against nature, and your body's in so much pain, Oh merciful God who shapes us all... Please return these scarred souls to your unending womb.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post May 13 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #51

Guests

I never said current release of volumes....

Once Viz caught up, they presumably could put a monthly chapter into their monthly magazine... And if they time it right, they could do a mid-month release, instead of a beginning of the month release ('cause that's when FMA comes out, so they'd get like 2 weeks for clean up and translations), and then we'd be able to get current manga in the US (with a slight delay, but I doubt people'll complain, considering...).

After all, the present manga that gets translated for the US market are already way down the road with tons of chapters. FMA doesn't have as many chapters, so in a sense, it's got the best chance to catch up and be current. (Plus, it's really good--so you've got a definite market for it regardless.)

I can't imagine that Viz would have a seriously hard time upping the time table for a chapter translation if they're on good terms with Gangan. And people online can translate these chapters in pretty good time. People who get paid to translate and clean-up should be able to do it better and faster. (Though, I'll admit, FMA is a bit more complicated per chapter (even factoring in for length) than most other manga I've seen--there are more slides per page, with heavy side notes for characters (the little comments that are put in that are just so great!).)

Maybe it's all just wishful thinking.

I don't really mind gold or silver, just as long as it's consistent. But, considering it's alchemy, it'd make more sense for it to be gold (alchemy's got all the tales of changing lead into gold). But silver does look better for on the television screen, I'm betting. Animes tend to change some details here and there from the manga. (Like Naruto's normal chakra is called yellow in the manga when he's describing it, but in the anime it's blue.) And silver tarnishes, so it wouldn't last too well in the hustle and bustle of State Alchemists' lives. Imagine trying to polish and clean your silver watch after you spilled blood on it in the battlefield. You wouldn't need to if it were gold. (And yes, in the earlier scanlations I also remember it being gold.)

-AECK

PS: I should probably just register, shouldn't I?

+Quote Post
Tsukiko
post May 15 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 13,133

lol thanxs for all the informations ^^

(yeah u should prolly register ^^)

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image戦うたくわえとあなたはそれを作る: 希望は生命の意味 である

+Quote Post
Umeko
post May 15 2005, 07:06 PM
Post #53

Apprentice

Member No.: 10,625

The watch is silver, by the way. I ranted about it a while ago here. ^^;;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post May 15 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #54

Guests

Silver it is then....

I wonder what they were thinking when they were translating it? (Viz or Toriyama)

Or perhaps it is related to the underpinnings of the word itself? Suffice it to say, we know it's a distinctive watch of some sort of precious metal.... And that translations should be accurate and consistent, but without losing the gist behind it all.

-AECK

+Quote Post
Umeko
post May 15 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #55

Apprentice

Member No.: 10,625

QUOTE(Guest @ May 15 2005, 11:46 PM)
Silver it is then....

I wonder what they were thinking when they were translating it?  (Viz or Toriyama)

Or perhaps it is related to the underpinnings of the word itself?  Suffice it to say, we know it's a distinctive watch of some sort of precious metal....  And that translations should be accurate and consistent, but without losing the gist behind it all.

-AECK
[snapback]173267[/snapback]

I don't know WHAT they were thinking. Granted, the Japanese words for "gold" and "silver" are very similar ("kin" and "gin," respectively), but the kanji look pretty different and... I just don't get it. >.>

--------------------

+Quote Post
NeoKakashi
post Oct 31 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #56

Apprentice

Member No.: 4,239

~ Ishval Or Ishbal? ~

First VIZ's spelling of Ishval was "Ishvar," then in volume 4 they suddenly conform with the dub and use "Ishbal."
That's very unprofessional mad.gif

+Quote Post
foolmetal alchem...
post Oct 31 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #57

Major General

Member No.: 12,269

Ehh, does this need a whole topic to be discussed? mellow.gif

--------------------

Currently EKE's GP Deshi-in Training!
*Has been nicknamed "Dai-chan" by Celes.*
Aily: He's so adorable. :3

+Quote Post
Ladymercury
post Oct 31 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #58

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,753

Actually, they didn't. It can be either Ishvar or Ishbal.

V sounds like B in Japanese because the Japanese can not say the letter V properly, so it ends up as B.

Constinants (besides the letter/sound of N) in Japanese are at their mercy. Really, they are.

--------------------
everybody move your feet and feel united. yeah.

+Quote Post
CSakuraS
post Oct 31 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #59

Apprentice

Member No.: 10,793

QUOTE(Ladymercury @ Oct 31 2005, 03:35 PM) [snapback]307319[/snapback]

Actually, they didn't. It can be either Ishvar or Ishbal.

V sounds like B in Japanese because the Japanese can not say the letter V properly, so it ends up as B.

Constinants (besides the letter/sound of N) in Japanese are at their mercy. Really, they are.

I think the point was that they're being inconsistant with how they chose to spell it...

--------------------

ZOMG FRUIT TREE ALCHEMISTS!

Check out my Seven Deadly Sins Chart to dispel manga vs. anime confusion!

+Quote Post
Haldir of Lorien
post Oct 31 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #60

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,412

i really don't apperciate the job they did in the manga.they changed the entire line of events completely.
Example, Volume 1 hughs was not on the train.and what not.
Just goes to show you what happens when they relese they anime first (they did that with the wolf's rain manga too mad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
I made this sig myself, and I am very proud of it,PM me if you ;d like me to make you one too.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 05:02 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css