HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Plot Holes, Continuity Problems, And Other Flows You Noticed On Fma-1, Spoiler Alert!!
Twilight Warrior...
post Feb 2 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #136

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,048

I just noticed something that's well not odd,
but interesting. Edward's black jacket changes
as the series progresses.

I hadn't even noticed till I browsed the internet
and found this page:
Outfits

Did you all find any sort of oddities in the anime?

--------------------

-"If the ways of this world are based on equivalent exchange, as alchemy says, then in order to allow for a new generation to enjoy good fortune,
then the price that we must pay is to carry the bodies of the dead across a river of blood."

- Riza Hawkeye
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kenji
post Feb 3 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #137

Brigadier General

Member No.: 44,341

There are many oddities in Ed's apparel...

When he first left Risembool to persue the National Alchemist Test after burning his own house, the jacket's zipper is huge... that makes him looked cute...

When he is 12, the jacket he was wearing bears a zipper, as seen in the Barry the Chopper episode... and the jacket is longer, so basically it covers his brown belt he wore....

It is noticeable Ed grown taller when his jacket is becoming shorter and revealed his belt... making the end seem to be "floating"... At 15, sometimes he uses a metal buckler and sometimes he used nothing to bond the jacket together...

When he is 16... mostly in all episodes he doesn't wear his red long jacket...

He travelled around with a briefcase, perhaps in it, the case contains two different sets of apparel...There is one episode that caught a glimpse of what is inside Ed's bags apart from notebooks and pens... [spoiler] but he can make clean clothes by simply clapping his hands together as seen in Episode 10 [/spoiler]...right???

+Quote Post
Becca-chan
post Feb 3 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #138

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,345

I can remember finding out about the things that Ed sees in the gate.. if he got shown the future, doesn't that mean he'd know about what would happen in later events? O.o`

Okay.... a few things that I noticed ( that mainly have something to do with Shou and Nina)

First of all, the thing about Nina's picture.. after looking at the comparisons between the picture she did for Edward and the picture she did for her Mum.

I was just wondering why the dog is a different shade of brown?
( In the picture to Ed, Alexander is a much lighter shade than the dog we see in the picture to Nina's mum)

I still don't think that's Alexander though.. it's probably the original family dog ( Alexander's mother?)
It's actually quite sweet that Nina is near her father though.. possibly a hint to an alternative future for her?

Secondly, on the night that Shou does the transmutation.. in that scene in the darkened dining room.
When he goes to hug Nina ( as he get's up from the chair) watch his expression.. it clearly faulters, as if he's trying not to cry.. and he does it again when he does hug her.

In episode 21, when Edward pulls back that curtain to reveal the ' Nina's ' in different suspension tanks, there's one that resembles the Nina/Alexander chimera.
Here's a screenshot,

And in episode 22.. when Tucker is talking to Ed about how the Homunculi are going to provide him with the secrets of making a Homunculous.
It has that close up of half chimera Nina.. erm.. is it just me, or is she *smiling* at Ed?! O.o

And when Shou's holding Nina's 'now human' body in episode 46, you can hear him sobbing.

There was *one* thing that always creeped me out about the newly brought back Nina though ( and it's not the fact that her eyes are like a porcelain dolls..) it's just that you know that at the end of 46, when Al is sobbing about what's happening to him.

Shou has knelt down on the ground, with his hands on the tank as he looks to Nina, she's sitting down in the tank.

When Sloth is attempting to drown Shou, you see 'Nina' floating in the tank.. now it's normal for a dead person to float.. but they don't float upright! O.o;
..I still wonder why it has that close-up of her.. :: shudders::

--------------------
Becca-chan; Your local Tucker addict...I am 100% sane, I swear! O.O;

+Quote Post
fullmetalfemme
post Mar 15 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #139

Citizen

Member No.: 45,108

OK, once again, I freely admit to being relatively new, and maybe this one is obvious or I am missing something, or has already been discussed to death (I did search for a thread on it and couldn't find one... ) In re-viewing the first 8 episodes recently I noticed a couple of times in the first four where Ed is referred to as the "Fullmetal Alchemist" - once when he introduces himself to Rose, and once when he meets Father Cornello... But then he gets the name given to him in ep.8 by Fuhrer after he passes the Alchemy exam and acts like he's never heard it before and he likes the sound of it. Hmmm.

Is this a continuity error, or am I missing something??? Did they do this differently in the manga? - I haven't gotten to the manga yet, I'm still on the novels (I'm broke and they last longer! happy.gif )

Just curious!

--------------------
"The tie which links mother and child is of such
pure and immaculate strength as to be never violated."
Washington Irving

siggie brilliantly done and generously provided by Nil-Chan!

+Quote Post
Nekokitty
post Mar 15 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #140

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 36,425

Episodes 3 -9 take place in the past and shows how Ed became a state Alchemist.
Episodes 1&2 were setting up the plot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Mar 15 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #141

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

Hmmm...I have another little flaw of sorts in the series (not sure if it counts as a narrative flaw or not tho...), that hasn't been mentioned yet, but has had me wondering for a while now.

It involves episode 50 and Envy.

[spoiler]Okay, so Envy transforms into his 'true form' while wrestling with Edward, and it freaks the hell out of Edward because he looks like Hohenheim, implying he is Hohenheim's son. And we discover he is the homunculus created by Hoho when he tried to bring back his and Dante's son.

Okie dokie, well here's the problem. Envy is at least 100 years old right? (He's most probably around 400. At least I think I read somewhere he was...) But uh...Hoho's been body hopping. He wouldn't have had the same body he has now when he created Envy, therefore, Envy's 'true form' shouldn't look like Hoho's curent body at all.[/spoiler]

So, am I the only one who noticed that?

Personally I think that [spoiler]it wasn't really Envy's true form in the first place and he just assumed it to freak Edward out[/spoiler] but that's really only speculation. What does everyone else think?

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 15 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #142

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

What does everyone else think?

It's been pointed out before.
I'm thinking it's a plot hole but never underestimate the power of coincidence. Maybe the current Papa Hoho is a perfect doppleganger of the one that was Envy's genetic daddy.
Perhaps Hoho's method of body snatching is different from Dantes and his victims body snatching change to his original form.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Mar 15 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #143

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

@Fullmetalfemme- Episodes 3-9 are all flashback, expanding on the Elrics' Life Story as Alphonse narrates it to Rose.

Episodes 1-2 are at the 'true storyline start', where Ed is 15, and then 3-9 cover him age 4-12, getting his title and then his first mission, and then skip two years (we assume that it's a lot of uneventful filler traveling) to hop right back up to the current spot in time to continue with episode 10, where the brothers are still 15 and 14.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scythoro
post Mar 15 2007, 09:31 PM
Post #144

Apprentice

From: 30 37' 56" Lat. and -87 2' 22" Long. at home or 30 33' 3" Lat. and -87 13' 13" at school
Member No.: 45,253

QUOTE(Fushigi Rockna @ Mar 15 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]518144[/snapback]
Hmmm...I have another little flaw of sorts in the series (not sure if it counts as a narrative flaw or not tho...), that hasn't been mentioned yet, but has had me wondering for a while now.

It involves episode 50 and Envy.

[spoiler]Okay, so Envy transforms into his 'true form' while wrestling with Edward, and it freaks the hell out of Edward because he looks like Hohenheim, implying he is Hohenheim's son. And we discover he is the homunculus created by Hoho when he tried to bring back his and Dante's son.

Okie dokie, well here's the problem. Envy is at least 100 years old right? (He's most probably around 400. At least I think I read somewhere he was...) But uh...Hoho's been body hopping. He wouldn't have had the same body he has now when he created Envy, therefore, Envy's 'true form' shouldn't look like Hoho's curent body at all.[/spoiler]

So, am I the only one who noticed that?

Personally I think that [spoiler]it wasn't really Envy's true form in the first place and he just assumed it to freak Edward out[/spoiler] but that's really only speculation. What does everyone else think?

I believe that envy said somewhere in one of the episodes (I'm dissappointed in myself because I can usually quote the episode) that he does not remember his true form.

+Quote Post
fullmetalfemme
post Mar 16 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #145

Citizen

Member No.: 45,108

From Toby-Chan: "Episodes 3-9 are all flashback, expanding on the Elrics' Life Story as Alphonse narrates it to Rose. Episodes 1-2 are at the 'true storyline start', where Ed is 15, and then 3-9 cover him age 4-12, getting his title and then his first mission, and then skip two years (we assume that it's a lot of uneventful filler traveling) to hop right back up to the current spot in time to continue with episode 10, where the brothers are still 15 and 14. "

Thank you for resolving my question Toby-Chan -- a bouquet of Roses to you happy.gif for clarifying this for me!~ ~ I guess there were captions of the time segues in there that I must have missed. I just must get those new glasses!! cool.gif -- it's so hard when you are half-blind like I am! Next I'll be needing a dog! (Can you use a weiner dog for a guide dog?...)

--------------------
"The tie which links mother and child is of such
pure and immaculate strength as to be never violated."
Washington Irving

siggie brilliantly done and generously provided by Nil-Chan!

+Quote Post
Fushi
post Mar 16 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #146

Lt. General

Member No.: 37,703

QUOTE(Popo)
It's been pointed out before.
I'm thinking it's a plot hole but never underestimate the power of coincidence. Maybe the current Papa Hoho is a perfect doppleganger of the one that was Envy's genetic daddy.
Perhaps Hoho's method of body snatching is different from Dantes and his victims body snatching change to his original form.

Oh, so it has been mentioned already. :x Sorry.
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe it was a plot hole too. But it's always nice to try and place a theory behind it in fanfiction and stuff (I've tried to explain it recently in a fic myself). The ones you listed are quite possible too. o:

I believe that envy said somewhere in one of the episodes (I'm dissappointed in myself because I can usually quote the episode) that he does not remember his true form.

Yes, that was in episode 14 I believe. (Lust: "That form again? You really like that one don't you?" Envy: "I don't remember my original form after all" or something along those lines.) Which just makes the 'true form' in ep 50 more suspcious and looking like a plot hole. (and I tried to give an explanation for that in the aforementioned fanfic as well)
Although also at that time in the series, the anime was still following the manga relatively well, and that scene happened in the manga at I think...vol 2. So it's very possible BONES completely forgot that detail too when the end of the anime came near.

--------------------
My icon comm

"I can't stand RoyxHughes (he's married and has a daughter!)"
Popo: "Brace for Fushi! *cowers*"

Huge Maes Hughes fan. In fact I'm even the Maes Hughes of livejournal. Really. Look for me under "M"

+Quote Post
Twilight Warrior...
post Mar 23 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #147

Citizen

Member No.: 44,048

did anyone notice that in episode 44 when Ed punches
Hoenhiem in the face he uses his automail arm, and
has a large gash due to that.

HOWEVER: when Al comes up and talks to him that gash is gone.
How? I mean that would have been bad, especially with his body
in it's current condition.

when ed & barry the chopper were duking it out in ep 8 and ed reattaches his arm and does alchemy, you can see that his hand is a bit crooked, and i was just like, "now that's attention to detail!"

huh, that's weird if it was crooked, then that means the nerves
weren't connected (I mean he did just shove it back in!) then
how was he able to tranmute a blade? in episode nine,
Winry says "who fixed up your arm?" which means she had
reattached the arm properly.

--------------------

-"If the ways of this world are based on equivalent exchange, as alchemy says, then in order to allow for a new generation to enjoy good fortune,
then the price that we must pay is to carry the bodies of the dead across a river of blood."

- Riza Hawkeye

+Quote Post
astronobish
post Apr 25 2007, 08:57 AM
Post #148

Citizen

Member No.: 46,324

First time posting... Am a bit shy. Sorry.

But you know the thing where Ed turns Sloth into ethyl alcohol, and Wrath comes out all burned-looking? Well, you don't get burned handling ethyl alchohol. I've tried, and I've even tasted it.

Also there was this thing with Envy, when he was posing as Cornello, he was able to bring the birds 'back to life' for a little bit, even though homunculi don't have any alchemic powers. How did he manage to do that? I don't know, maybe he had help from the Philosopher's Stone or something, but even then, it shouldn't happen.

--------------------
It looked as if a night of dark intent
Was coming, and not only a night, an age.
Someone had better be prepared for rage.
There would be more than ocean-water broken
Before God's last Put out the light was spoken.

-Robert Frost, Once by the Ocean

Credits to Joey Flores for the banner.
Palm Tree Hugger on Rex2010.
Official Pilot of the L&L Superplane on the S.S. Leather & Libraries.
Unofficial Underworked and Overpaid House Elf of Draco and Hermione on the S.S. Leather & Libraries.

+Quote Post
Reta McClain
post May 30 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #149

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 40,803

QUOTE(astronobish @ Apr 25 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]535363[/snapback]
First time posting... Am a bit shy. Sorry.

But you know the thing where Ed turns Sloth into ethyl alcohol, and Wrath comes out all burned-looking? Well, you don't get burned handling ethyl alchohol. I've tried, and I've even tasted it.

Also there was this thing with Envy, when he was posing as Cornello, he was able to bring the birds 'back to life' for a little bit, even though homunculi don't have any alchemic powers. How did he manage to do that? I don't know, maybe he had help from the Philosopher's Stone or something, but even then, it shouldn't happen.

To the first part of your post, it was ethanol. (I REALLY don't have a clue what it is... I just know it disappears when in touch with air biggrin.gif)

To the second part: people have speculated that Envy can "take parts of his body and transform them". That is how some people have been trying to explain that bird-trick. I myself don't have anuthing to say, my theory is as plausible as any other's.

I always find it disturbing when in episode 9 Ed, Al and Winry are shopping and Ed looks away, his face looks weird >.< I know it is probably just something funny that happened while drawing and/or animating to make his profile look weird.

--------------------

Adobe Photoshop Elements is my friend^^
My FanFiction.Net account
A Fangirl of Good Looking Fullmetal Alchemist Men = FGLFMAM

+Quote Post
Guest_Triple Soul_*
post May 30 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #150

Guests

QUOTE(Twilight Warrior Alchemist @ Mar 23 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]521171[/snapback]
did anyone notice that in episode 44 when Ed punches
Hoenhiem in the face he uses his automail arm, and
has a large gash due to that.

-snip-

HOWEVER: when Al comes up and talks to him that gash is gone.
How? I mean that would have been bad, especially with his body
in it's current condition.

-snip snip-

Welcome to the world of cartoon physics and tight anime budgets, kiddo.

Seriously though, I'd imagine it'd be a pain to constantly draw in a gash everytime you saw him afterwards. Sure, Ed had that swollen cheek after fighting Russel there early in the series, this was the first time we, the audiance, ever got to really know Hoho-papa [the episode before was a "prelim", if you would], and a gash in the face would just detract from that.

[And yes, I know that was posted back in March. Stfu. mellow.gif]

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 06:39 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css