HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do You Hate Dubbing?, How many anime elitists are out there?
Carnal Malefacto...
post Apr 11 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #16

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

There's good dubbing, and there's bad dubbing. Most of it is bad.

The best dub I've ever watched was Wolf's Rain.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Apr 13 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #17

Rasta Maldita

Member No.: 4,384

I did like Wolf's rain, it was a pretty dub.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elderberry
post Apr 16 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #18

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 726

OK, I think my views in general have pretty much been voiced by others already...

QUOTE(Ninja-san)
when anime series with characters with japanese names are dubbed, why don't the VAs bother learning how to properly pronounce the names? "kaGOmay!" "murROkoo!" "ship-o!" "ree-oh!" and one of my favorites: "cow-rue!"
This is one of the main reasons i hate American dubbing, besides the voices themselves.
I suppose it's a small step that most of the anime dubbed nowadays manages to refrain from changing the names, but it's not making things any better if they can't even pronounce things properly. Thanks to CardCaptors (dry.gif), every American youth now pronounces the name of the Japanese cherry blossom "Suh-Kerra." And how about the 'Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki' technique from Rurouni Kenshin? They couldn't even agree on a consistent mispronounciation! mad.gif

QUOTE(Stone-san)
I dare you to watch Evangeliion in anything but the original Japanese. It is really that painful. It doesn't make anyone an elitist when they don't want to suffer through that level of pain.
Shinji sounds like a fat kid. Rei sounds too much like an adult. Misato and that one scientist-chick (can't remember her name) sound like dumb-blondes. And I'm pretty sure I don't wanna hear the Asuka's english voice-acting. *shudder*
I actually tried that! Misato...ughh...And they went waaay overboard with the "emotion" in Asuka's voice. Hikari definitely did not sound anywhere near 14. And...Ritsuko's assistant (I forgot her name...) sounded like a 40-year old. I thought that Rei's voice wasn't too bad, since it was supposed to be kind of emotionless, but it felt distinctly flat.

QUOTE(Toby-san)
Everybody seems to want to give Aaron Dimsuke some slack just because he's "Only Twelve". The bottom line is, though, twelve or not, he's simply not a talented actor. I've known plenty of child actors who could do better, and if they're hard to come by, plenty of women who can pull off children's roles well.
I'm happy to find someone who agrees with me. I thought that the dubbed voice of Aru was actually kind of cute at the start of episode 1, but his acting skills weren't very good, and it often sounded like he was reading a monologue from a paper (which is true, but it's not supposed to sound like that in an anime!). My baka friend keeps insisting that "He's only 12!" when I complain. dry.gif If he doesn't have the talent or skill to match the work of adults, than he shouldn't be there in the first place!

Another aspect that irks me about the dubs is when they spontaneously decide to give a weird accent to characters, such as the British accents of Botan and Kurama. What the heck!? mad.gif

...Wolf's Rain I have never actually seen, so I can't comment on that.

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -
Currently designated as Marvelous Mechanic of the P!MP Mobile for the GP.
I've taken Foolmetal-kun under my wing as my GP Deshi-in training.

+Quote Post
Sycia
post Apr 16 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #19

Emeritus: Japanese News Liaison

Member No.: 851

I hate dubbing, and it's not restricted to just 'anime'. Really have nothing against the English language; it's just that dubs, no matter how good, can never translate or surpass the original feel and emotion of the original voices. I like my animes with Japanese, and I like the Matrix with Neo's English montonous tone.

.... I mean, I had to watch Star Wars with Ishida Akira as Luke. Cripes the horror.

--------------------
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>いずみ 「生きていれば、いつか命は尽きて、肉体は土に還り、
その上で草花を咲かせる。魂は想いと言う糧となり、人々の
心に生き続ける。世のあらゆる物は流れ、循環している。」
</span>

- Emeritus: Japanese News Liaison -

+Quote Post
Zarpia
post Apr 16 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #20

Rasta Maldita

Member No.: 4,384

I kinda agree and disagre with you Sycia
Agree: somethimes no matter how good the translation is, you just don't feel the same, but that hapens to me most in movies.
Disagree: is do like FMA better in jap althogh i saw it first in eng, but i don't prefer all anime in jap, i saw Dragon Ball in spanish and after i watch it in jap and eng, i didn't like it, same with Escaflowne, and others, but that's just me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dreakon
post Apr 16 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 4,232

Eliteists are pathetic. You don't have to watch the dub, so you have no right to complain about them. I will admit a lot of dubs are horrible, but some of you just pick at absolutely everything in dubs like its your job...

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Ava_Michelle
post Apr 16 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 11,825

I really, really, really hate bad dubbing. Good dubs, like in Wolf's Rain or even FMA are fine. But bad dubs... Are they ever -bad-.

--------------------
^_^ Kain Fuery's Fangirl. ^_^

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 16 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #23

Guests

Deer-man: Don't accuse others of being elitist for expressing an opinion. In fact, ignore the fact, that anything we say is legitimate to an extent. In fact, pull the thumb outta your elitist ass whilst you're doing it.

Also while I'm at it: Stop drawing anime and clogging every orifice of the internet with your shitty fan-drawings. I'm pretty sure it especially gets to be annoying to the people on Deviant Art. Why bother to develop your own style of drawing (or even do it well) when you can create over-emotionally charged slop?

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Apr 16 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #24

Brigadier General

Member No.: 650

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 17 2005, 02:16 AM)
Deer-man: Don't accuse others of being elitist for expressing an opinion.  In fact, ignore the fact, that anything we say is legitimate to an extent.  In fact, pull the thumb outta your elitist ass whilst you're doing it.

Also while I'm at it: Stop drawing anime and clogging every orifice of the internet with your shitty fan-drawings.  I'm pretty sure it especially gets to be annoying to the people on Deviant Art.  Why bother to develop your own style of drawing (or even do it well) when you can create over-emotionally charged slop?
[snapback]154441[/snapback]

deer man? who the hell is deer man? and this doesn't really help anyone's cause...

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 16 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #25

Guests

Eh. I can't be bothered to remember his screen name.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Apr 16 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #26

Guests

And *sigh* yes I'm referring to everyone who draws a bad anime pic, not just Dear. I felt like ranting pointlessly.

+Quote Post
Dreakon
post Apr 17 2005, 08:34 AM
Post #27

Apprentice

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 16 2005, 11:16 PM)
Deer-man: Don't accuse others of being elitist for expressing an opinion.  In fact, ignore the fact, that anything we say is legitimate to an extent.  In fact, pull the thumb outta your elitist ass whilst you're doing it.
[snapback]154441[/snapback]

Are you talking to me, as I am the only one on this page with a name even starting with D so far.

An opinion is one thing, but when you go into every thread about the dub (whether its comparing the sub and the dub or not) and complain because Gluttony doesnt sound good or about how Envy sounds too femanine and how subs are superior to all dubs, regardless of quality, then you are an elitist. Something I consider pathetic. If you don't like something, why are you watching it and more importantly, why are you bitching to fans of the dub about it.

It's not your job to report to dub fans every time possible and tell them how much you dislike it, so stop trying to make it. Dubs are going to be made, and watched, whether you elitist sub fans out there like it or not. If you have an opinion, keep it in the Sub vs. Dub threads and NOT everywhere else.

P.S: You really should get more then the first letter of a users name before replying to their post...

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Apr 17 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #28

Brigadier General

Member No.: 650

QUOTE(Dreakon @ Apr 17 2005, 11:34 AM)
If you don't like something, why are you watching it and more importantly, why are you bitching to fans of the dub about it.

If you have an opinion, keep it in the Sub vs. Dub threads and NOT everywhere else.
[snapback]154533[/snapback]

well the same could be said about you coming here and getting all upset... you knew what was gonna happen here... so why did you come in here? do you see my point? people fight for thier opinions, thats human nature.... to deny this would be ignorant..

you say the same group of people are always the anti-dubbers, the same is true for the people that are pro-dub... thats just how things are... so why don't you just take your own advice and just not give a shit...

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
NightMistress
post Apr 17 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #29

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 10,212

QUOTE(Dreakon @ Apr 17 2005, 11:34 AM)
If you don't like something, why are you watching it and more importantly, why are you bitching to fans of the dub about it.

It's not your job to report to dub fans every time possible and tell them how much you dislike it, so stop trying to make it. Dubs are going to be made, and watched, whether you elitist sub fans out there like it or not. If you have an opinion, keep it in the Sub vs. Dub threads and NOT everywhere else.

P.S: You really should get more then the first letter of a users name before replying to their post...
[snapback]154533[/snapback]

I think you're overreacting. EVERY thread doesn't moan and complain about the dub. In fact, I've heard a lot of people say that this dub isn't too bad. Furthermore, why make an entire topic about this subject when you KNOW what you're going to get? We are telling you why we DON'T watch the dubs for the most part. You make it sound as if we watch it, then moan and complain the whole way through. What usually happens is that we give it a shot, see that it sucks, and in turn decide to stick to the good stuff. That is of course unless it is a decent piece of work and you'll watch it just because it's on. FMA's dub is bearable but that still doesn't mean we can't appreciate the subs and feel that they are better. It's like a remake of a classic song. You can still listen to the new version and think it's not bad, while at the same time feel that the old one will always be the best. On the other hand, you can hear that it sucks and then turn the station everytime it comes on.

You don't hear people complaining too much about when they do a good job on a dub. I don't have a problem with dubs being around. I just think it needs to be done well and in most instances that sadly isn't the case.

--------------------
Forum siblings: zarpia (my not so big sis) Fullmetal Fangirl (my very much so lil sis) ~FMAgurl~ (another very much so lil sis) MustEd4ever (another very lil sis) Drina (lil sis)

+Quote Post
Dreakon
post Apr 17 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Lol, maybe I am overreacting. I still hate elitists... wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css