Reply to this topicStart new topic
Miyazaki's Movies
Lone Wolf
post Mar 17 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #46

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,451

I've only seen Princess Mononoke, but it is soooo great! (I'm gonna rent Howl's Moving Castle tomorrow t' watch it!)

--------------------
"Who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl." -John Florio

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 17 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #47

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE(Lone Wolf @ Mar 15 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]363807[/snapback]
I totally agree that Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki movie, but I don't think I'll be watchin' it on Cartoon Network, considering it'll probably be edited to the max and full of lousy commercials... I'd rather rent the movie (or buy it...).

True. And, I have seen all the ones that will be aired on CN when they had on TCM, non-cut, commercial-free, and with the choice of in Japanese, or with English dub, because they aired one each on the same night.
BUT, let me put it this way... To those who haven't them, it's a great chance to see if you'd like that particular movie, because it's on TV, and it's free!!
Each anime is similar, yet different, some you may find too cute, or too slow, so, before you spend money on renting or buying, you can check out and see if like any of those movies. smile.gif

Personally, I like Nausica, Princess Monooke, and Spirited Away the best. happy.gif
(Oh, but Totoro is cute, too!! tongue.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
inudog
post Mar 17 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #48

Citizen

Member No.: 32,323

I've only seen Spirited Away. I'm sure all the others are great! I'm going to buy Howls Moving Castle tommorow or Sunday. I'm really sad that I didn't catch the others on TCM. I guess I'll have to rely on Cartoon Network. XD (( Then again, like Lone Wolf said, they might be edited too much... xp ))

--------------------
IPB Image

"Big words for such small vermon" -Sesshoumaru

+Quote Post
Melydragon
post Mar 17 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #49

Apprentice

Member No.: 30,365

I love all of Miyazaki´s work. I love the way how he can make a kids´ movie and make an adult like it and enjoy it as well. I´ve seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki´s Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro. I don´t know why but I loved Spirited Away. It´s on my favorite movie list. I recommend any Studio Ghibli work or Miyazaki´s.

--------------------
Taking a ride in the time wind, let´s cross the heaven,
Somewhere in the rainbow that leads to the door of the dreams
-Wind of Magic

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 18 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #50

Group Icon

The first one to be aired for "Month of Miyazaki on CN" is award winning "Spirited Away", tomorow, Saturday March 18, 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm (U.S. Eastern Time.)
(Check your local listings to be sure.)
It's one of Hayao Miyazaki's best anime movies, and if you haven't seen it before, I can highly recommend watching this one!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
strong_arm1
post Mar 18 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #51

Citizen

Member No.: 32,717

I watched "A month of Miyazaki" on TCM a while back, and I enjoyd every one they showed, especially spirited away.
I still think Metropolis is the best I've seen, but as far as directors go Miyazaki is the best!
I'm sure they won't do a whole lot of editing ( forcontent anyway, maybe for time) in any of Miyazaki's movies on CN, but the commercials will probably get annoying after a while.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 18 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #52

Group Icon

^^ I agree. I also think that they probably do not edit the content that much, but the commercials on CN might get pretty annoying, especially during the Prime-time hours, I think.
(If possible, TiVo or VCR it, and skip the commercials?? biggrin.gif )
Oh, and I love Metropolis!! Its a classic, IMO. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlphonseRules
post Mar 18 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #53

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 6,124

Has anyone else noticed that the main male and female characters in these films always seem to look the same. I think in like three of the four that CN is showing, they look like San and Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke.
Just out of the blue guys, Grave of the Fireflies is a great anime movie too. Don't expect any action though, it's quite depressing, but never the less an awesome film. I don't know if it was done by Miyazaki though.

--------------------
I'm still waiting for Al to rip someone in half.

+Quote Post
strong_arm1
post Mar 18 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #54

Citizen

@Tombow:

One of the reasons I think it won't be edited that much is because they aired Metropolis on CN not too long ago, I was scared that they would butcher it myself, but they really didn't edit much at all out (but, alas, the commercial breaks were all too often.)

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 18 2006, 02:02 AM
Post #55

Group Icon

^^ I know, I know, I was pleasantly surprized to see CN did fairly good job airing Metropolis. happy.gif

QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Mar 18 2006, 02:07 AM) [snapback]365023[/snapback]
Has anyone else noticed that the main male and female characters in these films always seem to look the same. I think in like three of the four that CN is showing, they look like San and Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke.
Just out of the blue guys, Grave of the Fireflies is a great anime movie too. Don't expect any action though, it's quite depressing, but never the less an awesome film. I don't know if it was done by Miyazaki though.

Yap, they have the same features, and look very similar. And, many other similarities also, like, often having one grandma type active lady, or "flying" often being the recurring theme, and so on. Gets a little repetitive. I still like them, tho. happy.gif

And, about Grave of the Fireflies (also known as Tombstone for Fireflies) is also from the Studio Ghibli, and directed by one of it's main directors, Isao Takahata. (He was the producer for "Nausicaä" and "Laputa" and others, and also directed "Only Yesterday", "Pom Poko", and also "My Neighbors the Yamadas" which is more of a manga comic, and more.)
Anyway, that's the WWII movie, right?? Some people think it's too depressing, but I think it's a very good movie. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
strong_arm1
post Mar 18 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #56

Citizen

I haven't heard of it. BTW, WWII movie you say? Is the setting Japan during WWII? That would be... umm...interesting for an American I guess.
I often wonder why more Anime isn't set during that time period(with Japan as setting) to be honest, it certainly left enough of an impact on Japan.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 18 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #57

Group Icon

^ Yeah, about a story of two young kids, an older bother and a younger sister. Their mom dies, and dad is far away, fighting WWII in the Navy, and they can't get along with the relatives they were placed with, so they decide to leave and live on their own.
It's a somber film, but very nicely done, IMO. This one, from what I heard, was released as the accompanying double feature film to My Neighbor Totoro in Japan. smile.gif

Oh, and the Japanese title is "Hotaru no Haka (meaning Grave of the Fireflies )." happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
strong_arm1
post Mar 18 2006, 02:50 AM
Post #58

Citizen

Thanks for bringing that movie up AlphonseRules, and thanks for the added info Tombow, I'll have to check Grave of the Fireflies out.

+Quote Post
Lone Wolf
post Mar 19 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #59

Alchemists

Member No.: 18,451

I was going to rent Howl's Moving Castle last Friday, so my friend and I could watch it together, but alas, she came down with some illness... Now I have t' wait another week! *sighs*

--------------------
"Who is bred among wolves will soon learn to howl." -John Florio

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 24 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

The next one to be aired for "Month of Miyazaki on CN" is "Princess Mononoke", tomorow, Saturday March 25, 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm (U.S. Eastern Time.)
(Check your local listings to be sure.) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:20 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css