Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ep. 51: Was Ed Selfish?
Red Shadow
post Dec 24 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,073

It was Al who used the Philospher's Stone, even knowing what it was made of. Ed was just trying to bring about an equivalent exchange for his brother's sacrifice. I think that Ed has such an interesting guilt complex that acting selfish and selfless are the same things in his mind.

--------------------
We're not demons and we're definitely not gods. We're just humans, tiny insignificant humans.
-Edward Elric
http://www.fanfiction.net/~henrika
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackrider76
post Dec 27 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #47

Apprentice

Member No.: 20,078

True, True, it is possible that they are the same thing to him

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Great Aspara...
post Dec 27 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #48

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,454

Actually, when I start thinking about swirly things like that, it's easy to get them all mixed up (though they might not be selfish vs unselfishness) but like... with Ed, after all the strain/stress and especially in the last episodes when things are pretty hectic, I mean, I'd lose my mind!! @_@

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Cozzer
post Dec 29 2005, 12:31 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 28,409

I think Ed has some kind of "Survivor Syndrome"... he just thinks it's OK for him to suffer, as long as it's to protect his brother.

At the 5th Lab, he couldn't sacrifice other people to bring Al in his body, even if he knew that both of them would probably die, but he doesn't mind putting himself in danger to protect Al and, in the end, sacrifices himself (cause he thinks he'll die) for him.

Both Al's and Ed's sacrifice were brought by a feeling of guilt : Al felt guilty for all the people dead to create the PS, and Ed felt guilty for everuthing happened to his brother.

I guess that defining that "selfish" or "selfless" really depends only by one's personal morals...

+Quote Post
IceAlchemistBabe
post Jun 29 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #50

Citizen

Member No.: 60,678

In my opinion Ed wasn't selfish, Either way it was brotherly love, Al helped his brother and Ed though that by helping his brother back he would be happy. I would do the same to my bro, in my point of view it wasn't wrong, just love.

Another thing was that they finally reached what they wanted no?, Ed was the one who took Al's body so Ed ULTIMATE goal was to take it back, and so he did. And Ed though about that when he transmuted his own body, ed knew the consecuences.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 01:32 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css