Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ed's Arm In The Movie, Random questions
masterAlchemist ...
post Feb 1 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

his arm isnt automail it eas made by his father in the movie and is supposed to function like automail but dosent live up the quallity i supposed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 12 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,040

Well, from having seen the movie, I think [spoiler]Ed relost his arm and leg when he restored Al. Since he wound up in the "real world" there was no way for him to get automail replacements so his father made him a new arm and leg. When he returned for a short time to his home, Winry fixed him up with a brand new automail arm and leg so that when he went BACK to the "real world" again he had automail limbs. All the metal robots had no trouble passing back and forth, and Al was able to pass through with everything he owned so it makes sense Ed would have been able to keep his shiny new automail. When he walks out of the ship he has all his limbs so it looks like he's okay. He would need automail anyway, his father made him an arm and leg that were WAY ahead of anything currently available in that world. When he died, Ed would have had no way of getting another arm and leg that worked so well and would have been trapped with the primarily decorative prosthetic arms and legs of that time. The only way he could get working limbs was through automail. It also makes sense becuase his leg was destroyed when he went through the gate, the leg he has when he walks out of the ship at the end is the automail one Winry made him. [/spoiler]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Winkle
post Feb 13 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #48

Apprentice

Member No.: 27,948

QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 13 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]349566[/snapback]

Well, from having seen the movie, I think [spoiler]Ed relost his arm and leg when he restored Al. Since he wound up in the "real world" there was no way for him to get automail replacements so his father made him a new arm and leg. When he returned for a short time to his home, Winry fixed him up with a brand new automail arm and leg so that when he went BACK to the "real world" again he had automail limbs. All the metal robots had no trouble passing back and forth, and Al was able to pass through with everything he owned so it makes sense Ed would have been able to keep his shiny new automail. When he walks out of the ship he has all his limbs so it looks like he's okay. He would need automail anyway, his father made him an arm and leg that were WAY ahead of anything currently available in that world. When he died, Ed would have had no way of getting another arm and leg that worked so well and would have been trapped with the primarily decorative prosthetic arms and legs of that time. The only way he could get working limbs was through automail. It also makes sense becuase his leg was destroyed when he went through the gate, the leg he has when he walks out of the ship at the end is the automail one Winry made him. [/spoiler]

That reminds me of another question I had with the movie.

[spoiler]Okay, so when Ed crosses the Gate for the first time in the film in the smaller rocket ship, Alphonse explains that the red rocket Ed is riding is faster then the big gunships the Thule soldiers are invading in, and as such it is fast enough to "outrun the side-effects of the Gate" which turned out to be the black tentacles that also gave Eckhart the ability do alchemy.

So my question is, when Ed and Al rode the big ship with Eckhart back through the Gate a 2nd time, why didn't get experience the "side-effects?" We KNOW the ship was further hit with more tentacles because Echkart was completely enveloped by them after the 2nd trip, yet Ed and Al emerged unscathed. Al has a possible excuse that he was hiding in the armour, but we all saw the tentacles going after the armoured soldiers before too. But Ed being untouched though also made no sense... why wasn't he covered by the black crap?[/spoiler]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 13 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #49

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE(Winkle @ Feb 13 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]349592[/snapback]

QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 13 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]349566[/snapback]

That reminds me of another question I had with the movie.

[spoiler]Okay, so when Ed crosses the Gate for the first time in the film in the smaller rocket ship, Alphonse explains that the red rocket Ed is riding is faster then the big gunships the Thule soldiers are invading in, and as such it is fast enough to "outrun the side-effects of the Gate" which turned out to be the black tentacles that also gave Eckhart the ability do alchemy.

So my question is, when Ed and Al rode the big ship with Eckhart back through the Gate a 2nd time, why didn't get experience the "side-effects?" We KNOW the ship was further hit with more tentacles because Echkart was completely enveloped by them after the 2nd trip, yet Ed and Al emerged unscathed. Al has a possible excuse that he was hiding in the armour, but we all saw the tentacles going after the armoured soldiers before too. But Ed being untouched though also made no sense... why wasn't he covered by the black crap?[/spoiler]

Oh, the plot holes. smile.gif

I just though of something else.

[spoiler] Another possibility is that Ed had both his arm and leg, relost them when he transmuted, but was somehow returned to his automail state instead of just losing them totally. THEN because he doesn't have access to Winry or any other automail mechanic his automail, over the course of two years, malfunctioned or he outgrew it. It would have then been unusable and he'd have to have his father make him a suitable replacement. THEN when he went back home he was able to get proper automail replacements from Winry.

Also, Ed DID have both his arm and leg in the last episode. So how did Winry know he lost them again and would need automail?[/spoiler]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 22 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Major)

I'm going to be bad and do a double post... smile.gif

In the Anime series Ed has his automail arm and then he has a large shoulder contraption that the arm fits into. The shoulder thing has never been broken (only the arm) and you can see in several episodes that it's actually screwed into his body. In the movie when he's sitting on the bed you can see he no longer has the shoulder contraption (supports the theory that when he came through the gate it was with no arm or leg as opposed to automail that later broken or whatever). Instead he has a leather harness around his upper and lower torso.
Anyway, when he goes back to see Winry (and don't even think about how it is she knew he needed automail when Rose would have reported he got his arm and leg back) she brings ONLY an arm and leg. Suddenly he's got the shoulder contraption back when she's finished!

A. She didn't have it with her.
B. Even if she did, is she really going to sit there and preform surgery and screw it into his body?
C. Notice how it didn't hurt anymore when she put the arm on?

Explain that one! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hana no Kuroi
post Feb 22 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #51

Alchemists

Member No.: 31,320

Wow...Either the writers really screwed up the movie, or we're seeing things...o_O

--------------------
Hito wa nanika no gisei nashi ni, nanimo erukoto wa dekinai.
Nanika wo erutame ni wa, doutou no daika ga hitsuyou ni naru.
Sore ga, renkinjutsu ni okeru "toukakoukan" no gensoku da.
Sono koro, bokura wa sore ga sekai no shinjitsu dato shinjiteita.
~Alphonse Elric

IPB Image
Signature was made by me, myself, and I. Free to request by PM.

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 22 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Major)

I actually didn't notice it until the second time I watched the movie and realized he was wearing a harness. Then I went back to the series and you could see the shoulder thing was screwed in, it wasn't something you could just pop in and out. And if Al healed Ed, and he relost his limbs then the holes for it would have been gone. Winry would have had to rebore holes into his body to put a new one on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Winkle
post Feb 22 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #53

Apprentice

Member No.: 27,948

Ah yes, good eye. You're talking about the shoulder-mount, it's a joint that allows the arm to mount on his body. I didn't notice that at all until you've mentioned it now. Looks like another inconsistency biggrin.gif

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)

+Quote Post
FMA-Freak
post Feb 22 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 24,894

I've seen the movie so, here is your answer.
[spoiler]Ed's limbs get taken away again, because automail hasn't been invented. But right before Honenhiem left in our world, to go on a journey, he made the prostesis arm for Ed. So when Ed goes back to Al's world, and meets Winry, he still has the prostetic arm and leg, because it was invented. Then Winry sees how hard it i for Ed with it on, and gets out the automail she made specially for him. So now he has automail again. But when he and Al go to our world, he has a prostetic one again. [/spoiler]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jedi28
post Feb 22 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #55

State Alchemist (Major)

Still doesn't explain the shoulder mount. It's a pretty big piece of equipment that's clearly not there in the movie. Watch when Ed is sitting on the bed putting his prosthetics on while talking to Noah. The arm is attached to his body by two leather straps going around his mid and upper torso. Later when Winry opens her case it shows an arm and a leg, no shoulder mount. Then he's all of a sudden got it on when she's done putting the arm back on. Winry would have had to re-prefom automail surgery to get it on him again.

Winry: (pulling out a giant hand crank screwdriver) Okay, Ed, hold still. This might sting a bit.
Ed: What the heck is that?
Winry: You idiot, I have to replace your shoulder mount.
Ed: What?! No, no, that's okay really! I LIKE having a lousy prosthetic for an arm! Really!
Winry: Oh stop being such a baby and hold still.
Ed: Ahhh, Al!! Save me!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ting
post Sep 19 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #56

Apprentice

Member No.: 39,859

I think Hohemheim made his prosthetic arm's shoulder mount suitable for automail, because all along Hohemheim wanted Ed to go back, and assume he needed automail again, so if you see carefully, it goes onto his shoulder like his automail shoulder mount. Winry can just take that off and stuck to shoulder mount onto it... (ouch)

Winry brought the shoulder mount with her alright... They never showed the lid of the case she had, and the mount and all the stuff she needs might be there. His prosthetic arm worked exactly like automail (except not steel and the lawn mower starting), Ed's shoulder sent message to his arm and the prosthetic arm picks it up, so it had the same structure.

--------------------
hito wa nanika no gisei nashi ni, nani mo eru koto wa dekinai.
nanika wo eru tame ni wa, doutou no daika ga hitsuyou ni naru.
sore ga, renkinjutsu ni okeru "toukakoukan" no gensoku da.
sono koro, bokura wa sore ga sekai no shinjitsu da to shinjiteita.

Humankind can not get anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of equlivant exchange.
In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one and only truth.

Please check out my fandubbing project: script writing, OST and SFX needed!
http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/pm/?id=199

+Quote Post
Kivrin
post Oct 21 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #57

Citizen

Member No.: 40,344

QUOTE(Ting @ Sep 19 2006, 03:36 AM) [snapback]448265[/snapback]

I think Hohemheim made his prosthetic arm's shoulder mount suitable for automail, because all along Hohemheim wanted Ed to go back, and assume he needed automail again, so if you see carefully, it goes onto his shoulder like his automail shoulder mount. Winry can just take that off and stuck to shoulder mount onto it... (ouch)

Winry brought the shoulder mount with her alright... They never showed the lid of the case she had, and the mount and all the stuff she needs might be there. His prosthetic arm worked exactly like automail (except not steel and the lawn mower starting), Ed's shoulder sent message to his arm and the prosthetic arm picks it up, so it had the same structure.

Hrm.... I don't believe our world's technology is quite up to snuff when it comes to prosthetics. Even if Hohenheim had believed Ed would go back, he wouldn't have been able to fit Ed with the appropriate apparatus. The harness that Ed wears after he loses his limbs again is primitive by automail standards: you can see that it straps on as opposed to being surgically attached. Hohenheim was a genius with 400 years of experience and learning and so it seems his versions of prosthetic limbs are more sensitive and better articulated than the ones that existed in our world at the time, but they are not as robust (Ed's fingers get blown off in the villa and later his leg shatters when he tries to run after Al in the underground city). The non-automail arm and leg read nerve impulses in a less sophisticated way; the automail versions hurt so much on attachment because they interface with the body in a more "intimate" manner.

It is possible that Winry carried the entire mounting apparatus with her, but I agree with Jedi28 that the attachment of automail is a painful and lengthy process. Al restored Ed's life and his limbs at the end of the series. Ed's body would then be as if he'd never had automail. So when he went through the Gate into our world, there would have been nothing for Hohenheim to work with and nothing for Winry to work with when he came back. For her to re-attach the whole kit-and-kaboodle, she would have needed the facilities of the Rockbell Automail shop!

Bit of a plot hole. huh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2016 - 11:46 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css