Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 20 Discussion, Soul Of The Guardian
animefan101
post Mar 30 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,444

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Mar 25 2005, 11:20 PM)
Alright, I made sure to get the episode number right this time! 

This is a great, action-packed episode as Ed is determined to find the secrets of the 5th Laboratory, but he has to get past the guard first...who happens to b a soul attached to armor just like Al.  Ed's got a bit of a handicap though since his auto-mail is starting to malfunction since that dumb baka Winry didn't finish the job in episode 17! 

Meanwhile Al is dealing with the other troublesome guard...who kinda sounded...familiar...  wink.gif  wink.gif  wink.gif
[snapback]139312[/snapback]

If you saw eppisode 20 you should know who the guard was. huh.gif
IPB Image
I wonder if this pitcher comes from eppisode 21....ouch!

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hilde Knight
post Mar 30 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 6,203

QUOTE(skykitten @ Mar 29 2005, 10:13 PM)
was there anything else in this episode that anybody else caught? dry.gif
[snapback]142267[/snapback]

What did you have in mind? ohmy.gif

--------------------
Exceptionally bland and completely uninteresting signature here.

+Quote Post
Panzer Dragoon
post Mar 30 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #33

Citizen

Member No.: 4,727

Your welcome, Legolas. You're so kind.

--------------------
"I would venture to say that Professor Gilmore is spending too much time thinking!
He's made it a habit of blaming Black Ghost for nearly everything!"

(Then he sings:)
"Whennnnn! Everything positive turns to toast
It doesn't matter on which coast!
When good intentions get the roast -
Gilmore will have to blame Black Ghost!

Thank you, I'm here all week! Try the veal!"
~007, Cyborg 009

+Quote Post
ScarredSweethear...
post Mar 30 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 10,669

I love Barry in the books. I hope that they haven't changed his role from the book much.

+Quote Post
AlphonseRules
post Mar 31 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #35

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 6,124

This episode was decent. I thought that it was funny how Al had no problem with Barry, even while he was being overly nice/worried. It was like he was just having a casual conversation while he put a whoppin on Barry, lol, go Al!
Anyway, I am looking forward to the end of that fight.

--------------------
I'm still waiting for Al to rip someone in half.

+Quote Post
lightningstaralc...
post Apr 1 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 8,971

ok...FUNimation does a great job (I think) of using what they have and making the best of it. Obviously, they can't use the exact Japanese translation because in English, the words and the mouth flaps just wouldn't work together. I think the voices were excellently cast (especially Ed's, but that's just me tongue.gif ). The episode was really funny because Jerry Jewell made Barry the Chopper just...really frickin' funny (and if you've seen Fruits Basket, you know how awesome he is). It was so sad how Barry made Al think that he was fake though! I would've cried!!! And seeing Ed nearly die was absolutely horrifying *sobs uncontrollably* but in the end, Scar (indirectly) saved him...which is a good thing. biggrin.gif I think the English dubs are done really well and that those of you who compare them to the Japanese original should just stop and look at them for what they are. They won't be exactly like the originals, that's a given, so I think that you should at least just give them some credit for trying and for sticking as close to the original as they can. Yeah...so now that I'm done bitching (lol) the episode was GREAT!!!! But I think "Mother" is my favorite...so sad *sniffle, sniffle*

--------------------
Let me be empty
And weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight

IPB ImageIPB Image

We all falter
But does it matter?

rocthemic18@netzero.net
Check My Xanga!!! ^_~

+Quote Post
sailorv
post Apr 1 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 10,231

Yeah, I felt bad when Barry told Al he wasn't real...but I'm also wondering what it is that Ed hasn't told Al. Do you remember? A couple of times now Ed has said something that made me think that there may be some limitation to the spirit attachment that Ed has somehow supplemented for now. And it could be memories...It was most obvious in the episode where Winry's repairing them a couple of weeks ago, but I think there was also a reference last week.

This episode really worried me because of how badly Ed got injured. Seeing through his perspective, you could feel how close he was to not being able to recover enough to defeat the guardian brothers. Ikes!!

--------------------
Sailorv

+Quote Post
ymsg
post Apr 2 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 10,976

QUOTE(sailorv @ Apr 1 2005, 09:27 AM)
Yeah, I felt bad when Barry told Al he wasn't real...but I'm also wondering what it is that Ed hasn't told Al. Do you remember? A couple of times now Ed has said something that made me think that there may be some limitation to the spirit attachment that Ed has somehow supplemented for now. And it could be memories...It was most obvious in the episode where Winry's repairing them a couple of weeks ago, but I think there was also a reference last week.

This episode really worried me because of how badly Ed got injured. Seeing through his perspective, you could feel how close he was to not being able to recover enough to defeat the guardian brothers. Ikes!!
[snapback]144345[/snapback]

I was worried about Ed's injuries too. It looked like he was losing a lot of blood; that threw me for a loop.

Now, what really made me wonder was what Barry said about Al not being real. I was kind of thrown off for that; I don't think Ed would supply false memories into Al; he cares about him too much, ne? But then, Ed said he had to tell Al something a few weeks ago, as we all recall, and as mentioned in the quote ^. I think that Al's memories being erased may be beyond Ed's control.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image

+Quote Post
CursedAnubis
post Apr 2 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 9,726

I don't think Ed would supply false memories into Al; he cares about him too much, ne? But then, Ed said he had to tell Al something a few weeks ago, as we all recall, and as mentioned in the quote ^. I think that Al's memories being erased may be beyond Ed's control.

The thing about that is, how can you know what exactly a person is like? What goes on in his head? What memories he holds the most important? If Barry really knows what he is talking about, then it is pretty likely that Al's memories probably aren't really how he would have remembered them; I am sure that Ed did try his best to bind the Al that he knew best. However, one must realize that you cannot understand fully what makes a person tick, so the Armor bound Al is probably a slightly more "Ed" version of Al, if you get what I'm saying.

unsure.gif I hope that makes sense lol

--------------------
user posted image
Take my advice, Mustang... The Philosopher's Stone does not exist.

+Quote Post
ymsg
post Apr 3 2005, 12:41 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 10,976

Yeah, I have to agree with you there; that does make a lot of sense. I concur that Ed would restore the Al that was to the best of his ability, but as you said, you never know what makes a person tick. Episode 21 didn't shed much light on it either.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image

+Quote Post
sailorv
post Apr 4 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #41

Citizen

Member No.: 10,231

It might just be my imagination, but in the episode (just a few back) where Winry's fixing Ed up and Al's memories seem to be fading or confused, Al seemed to be much more himself after Ed could put his automail back together with alchemy. It made me wonder if the memories are spread out all through the automail. Al was missing an arm (and more), but seemed better when he was back in one piece.

Then again, maybe Ed "recharged" Al as part of fixing him up...Hmmmmmm... mellow.gif

--------------------
Sailorv

+Quote Post
AlphonseRules
post Apr 4 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 6,124

I didn't look at it like his memories were spread out through his armor. I looked at it like he could only remember the more important stuff(family and his house). The only thing that he couldn't remember was who that girl was. Granted they were good friends with her, but she's not as close to Al as his family and the Rockbells.

--------------------
I'm still waiting for Al to rip someone in half.

+Quote Post
Stained_Wings
post Apr 5 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #43

Citizen

Member No.: 7,623

QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 4 2005, 11:32 PM)
I didn't look at it like his memories were spread out through his armor.  I looked at it like he could only remember the more important stuff(family and his house).  The only thing that he couldn't remember was who that girl was.  Granted they were good friends with her, but she's not as close to Al as his family and the Rockbells.
[snapback]146996[/snapback]

i don't think it was only that girl who Al couldn't remember. he told Ed later that he didn't recall ever having any friends besides Ed and Winry; it was all a blur and the people he did remember were faceless. just seeing that girl made him think of whether or not he could remember anyone else.

+Quote Post
chocolate_eds_ev...
post Sep 12 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 21,967

ya that part was so sad and then al had to have an attitude towards winery. that was uncalled for. tongue.gif

--------------------
In our vast unwinding existence we tend to forget the things that were important to us
but by forgetting them we realize that they weren't all that important
but, by thinking that, u remember what u have forgotten
and in that instant of remembering what you were trying to remember
you forget about the thing you have forgotten
so before you start to forget just remember
those who truely remembered you won't be forgotten... or not.
--------My Chocolate Family--------
Elder Sis- Jen Elric
Elder Bro- DarkBlade Alchemist; Mustang's Appentice
Lil Sis- Ed's numbuh 1 fan; animefangirl; braindead fma fan;& Kakashi's #1 girlfriend
----------------------------------------
join my chocolate family, pm me anytim

+Quote Post
todo-mahem
post May 17 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 47,030

QUOTE(Legolas of Mirkwood @ Mar 28 2005, 06:31 AM) *
The only part I didn't like was when "Berry the butcher " told Al all those things about his memories.
Ed wouldn't do that would he?

Oh and I hate seeing Ed get hurt. I cringed at several thoughts if he got hurt more than three times.

I was shocked to find that the guy Al was fighting was the same guy who tried to kill ed and Winry three years ago.

hehe, i am replying, because i want to no where you got your sig..? did you make it? smile.gif

--------------------
I am Kimmy, Kimmy I am.
I do not like Green eggs and ham,
because Sam, i am not!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css