How Did You Get To Know Fullmetal Alchemist?, Warning Potential Spoiler
Rating 5 V
penguintruth
post Mar 10 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #436

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,921

A friend sent me a bunch of anime on discs that he had burned, along with a new show that had just finished in Japan, "Fullmetal Alchemist", that I had heard some rumblings about (mostly because of the controversial ending).

FMA was in the group of discs at the top of the stack, so I started with it, and was completely blown away by how great it was, and how much better it kept getting as it went along.

It was around this time that I had become pretty jaded as an anime fan, not thinking there was anything else that could impress me. FMA proved me wrong, and I was so glad it did. I guess you can say it restored my faith in anime.

Since then, I'd become familar with the manga and its story and started reading and collecting that, and when Brotherhood premiered, I was sure to catch that, and kept watching. And because of Brotherhood, I stopped just browsing these forums and started posting.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Mar 10 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #437

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

A random person on MSN messenger who I'd got talking to on a forum suggested I watch it. I think it was the first anime I actually liked.

I ended up not talking to that person anymore. Not even on my contact list anymore. That's a shame.

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Mar 11 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #438

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

FMA was the first anime I ever watched. Ahh, the memories. I remember sitting up late at the evenings waiting for it to come on. I'd get to watch two episodes a night, gloriously subbed in my own language. It was awesome. The good old days.

I think the first glimpse I ever caught of FMA was the part where Ed is trying to convince Rosé that there is no God, in Liore. I don't know if it was the subbing, or just me being a softie, but I remember that I thought he was a total d*ck (Ed, that is). Really did not expect him to be the hero of the show tongue.gif

Too bad the network it aired on has stopped showing anime...

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
MsLinn
post Mar 11 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #439

Apprentice

Member No.: 72,213

QUOTE (Broken Chouchou @ Mar 11 2010, 07:51 PM) *
I'd get to watch two episodes a night, gloriously subbed in my own language. It was awesome.
Too bad the network it aired on has stopped showing anime...

Yeah, when I was already into FMA, I flipped 'cross ZTV and I was SHOCKED out of my freaking socks to find FMA on swedish tv!! I think I screamed! I growled at anyone who tried to touch the remote control...
It only happened twice, though. One time with an episode and one time, the movie! It was the beggining with the atombomb-guy, and I was like "there is nooo way this can happen now! (I was at ~ep45) What is this?!", and I didn't look farther, and boy am I happy I didn't! That would have been major spoiler!

Anyway: About 1 year and hm...4-5 months ago I had never heard of FMA, but my school's library started buying the swedish manga, and I, the everlasting book-worm, who was, thanks to my brother and Bleach, starting to get interested in manga and anime, took the first one of the shelf and was standing there for an half hour before I sat down for another half hour, reading, devoured. I think I swept through 5 volumes that lunch! I didn't understand what the heck happened, though, in the first chapter, I had to read it several times...
What got me hooked was the humour! I had found my soulmate! It was like an epiphany! Some stranger in Japan had the exact same humor as me!

So, the library brought the first 13 volumes, and then another one every month. During that time of waiting I somehow found out about the anime (I really can't remember how... ^.^U) and it caught me like woa! I watched it pretty fast, and then the movie! Oh, did I cry...my heart ached! Then some time went, and soon enough Brotherhood started to air! 2 episodes into that, I read chapter ~58 to 95 in one day (+evening+night)...and, after a couple of days, my mind bougled...(it was like when someone gets stabbed in anime (especially Bleach), and nothing happens for like ten secondes, then the blood sploshes! I was really slow...) This was not like the anime! Other homunculus! No other world! No nothing! And there was a whole different situation with Al's body! And who killed Winry's parents! And this new amazing character LING wasn't even in the anime! I quickly desided which one I liked the best, though (based on humor, lack of plot-holes, more badassery on Al's part and less TRAUMA!Ed): the manga! smile.gif (with Brotherhood tagging along close behind)

That was long....(anything to keep my mind of the absence of chp.105 scanlations...*sending happy thoughts to the scanlater-people...*)

--------------------

Long live the love we shared. In our Fullmetal hearts.

+Quote Post
Ama-ri
post Mar 13 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #440

Citizen

Member No.: 73,157

For me, it was only 2 years ago. I heard of FMA some years before, because one of my friends watched it and told me how awesome it was. But since I wasn't really into mecha (i though al was a mecha.) i wasn't interested in this series.

So, then 2 years ago I was bored as hell after reading the whole One Piece manga in one week, asking two friends what I should read next (manga) and they listed a few, FMA bein one of them. The other was currently watching FMA so she said "yes! you have to read this! It's great!" so I started reading it. After only a few chapters I was completely hooked, reading all released chapters so far in only a few days (5 I think).

So then after that, I watched all episodes of the anime in a few days again, the movie right after. So since then I was reading the monthly release of the Manga and got even more obsessive of the series as time went by. I bought the german releases of the Manga and completely freaked out about the announcement of Brotherhood, bought the artbooks, the novels and everything I could get my hands on.

And now, even after my highest phase of being an Anime and Manga fan is long over, I'm still fangirling about FMA. And I got even more friends of mine hooked by my fangirling xD

--------------------

Signature & Avatar Artwork by Me

Deviantart | Weblog (ger)

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Mar 13 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #441

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

QUOTE (sambam @ Mar 3 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Did anyone else think that Alphonse was a robot when they first saw him? XD

I did xD, although my first thought was "wtf is that thing? HOLY CRAP IT TALKS!"
laugh.gif

My first thought was probably something along the lines of "OMG A ROBOT ROBOTS ARE AWESOME I LOVE THIS BOOK."

Also, just today me and my little sister were talking about FMA (she's never seen it or read it, but she know's what it's about. I think she's read volume 1 of the manga, and some of the episodes from the first anime.) Anyway, we were talking about it and how she found out about it, which went something like this:

Sister: *sees me reading volume 1* Hey, she's pretty! Who's she?
Me: He is Edward. He has a metal arm and his brother isn't a robot, apparently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shanryelric
post Mar 15 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #442

Alchemists

Member No.: 71,970

I am a person that can love one particular title of anime/book/movie until I'm a bit "freak" about it. so like I was a big, big fan of Death Note.. in the first week of liking it I bought the "Book 13" and other book related to DN.., and I refuse to know any other title because I fear that my "Likeness" to DN will decrease.
then, I was browsing some images in my friend's handphone, then I found some FMA images and end up asking her "what's this?" and she said that is FMA, her favoritye manga by that time. I dunno why but i got curious and then she lent me BOOK 19. wha? boom 19?? HOW CAN i UNDERSTAND?? but even in my state like that i tried to read it anyway, and I fell in love with the story line. and then I bought book 1 and book 2, 3, 4 and so on until 19 (at the time).
at that tume my mom was in Malaysia and I told her to buy me FMA anime 2003 dvd if there a chance. and it end up she found FMA CoS DVD, not the series. and I just watched the movie, and I CANNOT UNDERSTAND AT ALL. but i loveeeee the movie so much. so I kept reading and reading more from the intyernet and learned that FMA has 2 kind of "story". the manga and anime1 one story line. not long after that I bought the anime1 dvd and watched it all 51 episodes within 2 days (yes, it's like I am not sleeping for two days or so). and watched the movie again. at the time i thought that FMA maybe one of the best anime and manga ever exist..
2 weeks after i finished watching anime1 + movies + book 20 (that just out in indonesia) for 5 days, FMA Brotherhood is in!! I was so freakingly happy and felt that this is a great coincidence. wow.
I read all chapters that in per month, waiting and waiting.
then I tried to watch another anime, tried to read so many mangas, i read and watch, a lot of it. even titles that is sooo "great" like Gundam or Code Geass or whatever. I like them all. but there was never a time that I think something that have a better storyline, a better character, a better brotherhood stories than FMA. I LOVE FULLMETAL ALCHEMISTTT!!!!!!!! yay
and I bought everything connected to FMA.. whatever I can buy, whatever I Like and i can buy, buy it. smile.gif)
I never thought that Al is a robot or mecha... when i saw him the first time i just know that "oh, it's an armor, cute!" and then "wha??? Al's voice is sooo cute!!!!!!!!" etc, huahahhaaa

annnd then I regret years that just passed when FMA is in its sooo famous stage (somewhere 2003/2004) T w T what i thought was like "AAARGHHH I MISSED IT I MISSED IT I'M DOOMED"
yeah, that's my story. smile.gif

--------------------
Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist. Thanks for the memories.

-the manga, characters, story lines, the ending, the Brotherhood series, the first anime and the movie and all things related to it, are the only things that I will always love like how I love my own life.-

+Quote Post
fmaexpert
post May 15 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #443

Citizen

Member No.: 58,781

i was first introduced to fma by my brother (more like my half-bro) who taped the episode where hughes died(TT.TT!!!) and watched it when he brung the tape when he came over. but even after that, i didnt get in2 fma until a couple years later.

--------------------
my deviant: http://fmaxp3rt.deviantart.com/

my friend's blog (i said i would help her and advertising is helping~): click here! especially if you're a writer!

*insert awesome sig here*

+Quote Post
Carmencita
post Jun 20 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #444

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,440

Last year (last year as in 2008 last year), I met this girl by the name of Megan. We met over the saying "Inuyasha". Suprisingly. Well after so much talk about that I told her it was the only anime I know and she suggested Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist. She would literally call me and make me blast the volume up on my computer high so she could make sure I was watching the animes.
About after half a year of basically only watching Bleach (awesomest half a year ever!) she told me to watch Fullmetal alchemist.

So I did. And thought, "screw this crap". 2009 new year I was tired.. bored.. got back from a party and I was much into my anime fandom. I had a list of 50 anime already. But I needed something new and gave FMA-1 another shot. Fell in love with it. And now look at me. I had a Bleach shrine in my room and now its a Fullmetal Alchemist shrine. Yayyy

+Quote Post
Nuclear Alchemis...
post Jun 20 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #445

Citizen

Member No.: 74,552

I watched the 1st series FMA in 2007-*, since I saw the advertisement on the unique TV channel in the entire country that broadcasts animes, Animax.

--------------------
I believe in Python
On Facebook, I am Alexandru Calin
I participate at SETI@home using BOINC
I use NASM

+Quote Post
xMinty
post Jun 21 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #446

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,457

I first heard of fma about 4 years ago because my friend's older sister was obsessed with it and was an ed fangirl who had a boy pillow of edward elric, and I saw her watching parts of it. all I saw was some of the dark fighting scenes and the scene of al and ed trying to bring back their mother and came up with the conclusion that ed and al were trapped in hell and were trying to escape while fighting demons along the way, and that the glowing lights of the transmutation of their mother was a portale out of hell, until it turned purple because an evil demon used its witch magic to make it that way and ruin the portale and steal al's whole body and ed's arm and leg and then they are too scared to try to make a portale again so they try to escape hell through other means. ^^

--------------------

xhearter=my sister <3333
shinigami-sama ish my brother @w@

+Quote Post
Full Metal SHORT...
post Jun 22 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #447

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,454

I first came to hear of it at the end of last year, but I passed it off as some stupid thing.

I was very wrong. Extremely wrong that I laugh at myself now.

My whole anime journey started with my friend who gave my my first anime: Ouran High School Host club. It was epic.

Next, I was given the first five episodes of Fruits Basket, Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist!

She had deprived me. I watched them all and suddenly craved for more! The first five episodes were not enough!

So after that, I kept getting more, and more. It made me ravenous for FMA.

So I blame my friend that I am this obsessed with FMA smile.gif She's a good friend.

--------------------

OK, so I'm tall in real life... just imagine me as short... :)

+Quote Post
hoprabbit
post Jun 24 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #448

Citizen

Member No.: 74,584

This sort of thing happened with me a lot as a kid. I'd hear about an anime somewhere, and remember it, but mix it up with something all the time (I distinctly remember mixing up Friends the tv show with Fruits Basket ALL THE TIME. XD) First I'll tell you how I got into anime, then go to FMA. I'm a Maximum ride fan, and was on thier website surfing through fan pictures. All of a sudden, I see this comic about a brown-haired kid with some book, who's stupider than god knows what and a black haired guy trying to play tennis with him (You might recognize this, it's Braindead by Silentreaper). I think it's funny, but have no idea what it is. I remember thier names, though, wondering 'why'. Light, and L.

A year or two later, These two names come to mind suddenly and I look up 'Light L book tennis'. I click on Light Yagami. It makes me wonder, so I watch Death Note on Youtube, and fall in love.

Later on (Two years ago, maybe?), I'm waiting for Death Note to come on Adult Swim so I can watch it properly. I'd heard of Fullmetal before, but never watched it or given it a chance. So I flip on the TV, ready to wait the last few minutes before my favorite show is on, and I catch a clip of Ed fighting Wrath with Rose there in this big black hallway. Ed goes down, and Rose starts screaming 'ED!'.

I figure that's FMA (While I'm going WTH?), and watch Death Note. Next day, I look Fullmetal Alchemist up, and watch the first episode where I've watched the majority of my animes, animefreak. tv.
And that's how I got to know FMA.

--------------------
My name is Hop. See my Fullmetal Alchemist Fanfiction? And I have a problem.

+Quote Post
The Stubborn Alc...
post Jun 24 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #449

Citizen

Member No.: 74,613

On Valentine's Day (stupid date ^^ ) 2009 I was searching a song I heard during French lesson and I found it on youtube... it was used in an AMV about Ed and Winry smile.gif I didn't know anything about FMA at that moment but I thought it was so cute that she was his mechanic smile.gif So I started searching things about FMA and I fell in love with the series XD

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jun 24 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #450

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

I use to like anime as such since Evangelion was broadcasted at Locomotion, but I never got to know a thing about FMA while surfing the net for anime information (maybe it was just too new then). When Locomotion turned into Animax LA, it got FMA. If it wasn't for that, I may have known it waaay later. And maybe just the anime (I'm not that much into manga).

Sooo, I liked the series (the fact it had a good dub helped somewhat), but the ending was lacking IMHO, so when I knew there was a manga, leafed through it and got to know it was actually better put together than the series (which was very, very good by shounen standards) I got hooked. Many chapters after that, it grew on me a lot more than the series did.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 28 29 30 31 32 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css