Post #16

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,565

okay, here's a silly one. XD

Roiai 100 Themes

#7 罪と罰
Crime and Punishment

He scowled at the cup in front of him, at the couple seated beyond him, and at everything his angrily narrowed eyes happened across. His jaw was clenched, his shoulders tight, and his hands were fisted on the table.

This was so unfair.

It had been an accident! Why were the repercussions so dire??

His gaze fell upon the plate of pastries in the middle of the table, then slid up the form of the young woman sitting across from him.

Riza met Roy’s gaze and lifted one golden eyebrow coyly, as if asking what his sour expression was for?

His scowl deepened.

“You’re horribly cruel, Riza Hawkeye,” he told her, and she gave him a rueful look.

“I think I’m being lenient, Sir,” she said sweetly, and he made a face.

“But you know I hate lemon tea!” he complained sullenly, glaring at the mug. “Of all manners of payback, you choose this?” He gestured wildly at the café setting she had dragged him into. “I dunno how you can drink this junk anyway!”

“You brought this upon yourself.”

“But I’m rather fond of my tastebuds,” he told her grimly. “I’d rather not destroy them with this confectionary horror you’ve forced upon me.”

“I was rather fond of that vase I loaned you for the roses you received last week, but that didn’t stop you from dropping it on the floor and breaking it,” she told him, sipping her tea. “Reap what you sow, Sir. It’ll never be the same.”

He put both hands flat on the table and leaned forward.

“I said I was sorry!” he hissed.

“Fine. Drink the tea and I’ll apologize for making you.”

“You’re awful! You know I can just fix it with alchemy!”

“It was my grandmother’s vase,” she replied coolly. “You can’t repair the memory.”

“But I can try.”

“Not until you’ve learned your lesson.”

His eyes flattened.

“You are sooooo mean…”

She grinned and used her scone to push his cup of tea closer to him, and her brown eyes glimmered impishly.

“May the punishment fit the crime, Sir…”

i think riza would have a lovely meanstreak to her, don't you? XD and this one's a shorty, too! 348!

--------------------
IPB Image

I am the Cold Blooded Alchemist. Ph34r Me.
Read My Fics! :D

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mira
post Mar 21 2005, 01:38 AM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 7,527

*laughs* I love the last one, it seems fitting that Riza would think of such a punishment for just a broken vase. Roy should be thanking his lucky stars that Riza did not brandish her gun.^^

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 21 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #18

and my third theme of the day. XD

Roiai 100 Themes

#8 街並
Storelined Streets

He despised shopping. Left to his own devices, he would probably have starved and worn the same clothes until they fell apart. Thank God Riza indulged him easily for such tasks. It seemed that, like most women, the finer points of the acquiring of new personal belongings and foodstuffs came easily to her. Roy was capable of many things…but the subtle nuances of the procurement of new goods was just not his forté by any means. Even as many times as he had accompanied his lieutenant on these monetary pilgrimages, the scientific nature of bargaining just…eluded him.

He clenched his fists and hesitated outside the doorway of the little jewelry shop, gnawing on his upper lip as if he could squeeze from it the resolve to walk inside and make an even exchange of currency for wares.

Er…perhaps this had been a bad idea. He wasn’t sure he was up for this.

But the little red circle around tomorrow’s date in his schedule book danced about inside his head, and the slender silver bracelet in the shop window was glittered seductively at him. He gripped his wallet in the pocket of his coat, squared his shoulders, and pushed the door open.

This was important…he wasn’t going to let some childish feeling of inadequacy ruin this for him.

Fifteen minutes later, a very smug-looking Roy Mustang emerged from the jewelry shop with a small blue box in one hand and a huge grin on his face.

Success!

He glanced at his wristwatch and a thoughtful expression crossed his features. 5:26. Hm…that left him ample time to swing by her apartment and ask if she had any dinner plans, now didn’t it…? After all, this was a special occasion. And even if he was a lousy shopper, flirting was something he had absolutely no qualms about…

Especially with her…

He glanced down at the little blue box with the silver bracelet inside, and smiled at the slender gold ribbon that held the lid on.

Perhaps he could get used to this shopping business after all. It was surely going to be worth the bother to see the look on her face when she realized he hadn’t forgotten. He picked up his pace a little and smiled broadly as he sauntered down the storelined streets of downtown Central, headed for a certain apartment on the edge of town to make some impromptu arrangements for the evening. Roy had always been good at spontaneity… He was rather certain tonight would be no exception.

He smiled at the tiny square card tied to the box, and then tucked the ensemble safely in his jacket pocket.

‘Happy Birthday, Riza!’ it had read cheerfully, and Roy chuckled to himself as the sun began to set over his shoulders.

He hoped it would be.

♥ a little waff is always nice. yay. 472 on this one. ^__^

--------------------
IPB Image

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
WrenchFreakWinry
post Mar 21 2005, 03:43 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 9,129

::dies:: Augh, the cuteness! The mental image of Roy walking out of the jewelry store grinning with the box was absolutely priceless... XD ♥♥♥

--------------------
Little Sister to Hagane_no_Tokage!
[no, really... she's my sister.]

user posted image

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 24 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #20

greetings from lovely arizona~! XD my good friend jerome was kind enough to loan me his internet connection so i can still post drabbles and try and catch up to tobuchan. yay! so, without further adieu, here is theme 9. ^.^

Roiai 100 Themes

#9 知らない過去
Unknown Past

He catches her sometimes, staring at the small photo, her eyes dark and her mouth a grim line across her face. The photo is old, he gathers from the brown edges and wrinkles set deep in the paper; but he has never seen the face upon it. She has never offered, and he does not ask. The look on her face as she gazes at the image is such that it makes him squirm. He has to wonder who could effect such an expression on her stoic features...? Riza has never been one to wear her heart on her sleeve. Rare are her smiles...rarer still her tears. And to view this Riza makes Roy ache in a way he cannot explain.

He spies her again today, by the windows of his office, when she thinks he is busy looking over the day's paperwork and hasn't the time to spare a glance her way. She reaches into the pocket of her trousers, pulling from it the tiny worn square of paper. She clutches it tightly. Only enough that someone who has known her as long as he has would see...but her hands are trembling.

She looks up suddenly, sensing his eyes upon her, and he feels as though he has trespassed on her soul instead of simply peering at her from across the room. In a flash, the photo has vanished again. She means to give him a chiding stare--'If you have time to stare at me, you should be working, Sir...'--but all her eyes reflect is pain. It is an old pain, like a twinge from mended bones that flares up in the winter, but pain nonetheless, and this makes him hurt as well.

He hates to see pain in the eyes of the people he loves.

He knits his brow; offers her a small smile. He is confident that she knows that should she one day wish to talk of this worry, he is willing to listen. She sighs, acknowledges his smile with a forced one of her own, and nods her head and snaps a quick, crisp salute to excuse herself hastily from the office. He watches her go, and threads his fingers together, resting his chin atop them.

As long as they have worked together...as long as they have been friends...it has been unspoken between them that they could confide anything in each other. And yet, there are still so many mysteries between them.

He shakes his head and dutifully goes back to signing papers--she will scold him later if he doesn't--and his hand rests atop the stack of forms a moment as his eyes drift back to the doorway from which she departed.

Who hurt you, Riza, he wonders, that you would close yourself off so completely...?

He taps his pen against his chin, lowering his eyes back to the paperwork stacked up before him.

Who wounded you so in your unknown past? In that distant time before we met...?

i figured that there must be *some* reason for riza's aloofness... *shrug* who do *you* suppose is in the picture? ufufufufu.... >:]

'zactly 500 words again. w00t.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 26 2005, 01:35 AM
Post #21

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

Fascinating and excellent, Kage-san. I particularly like how you never do tell us what the photo is. We're left as puzzled as Mustang. Very nice.

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 26 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #22

thankies, tobuchan you know i value your opinion above that of most, so it is always nice to know you approve. <4 here's theme 10. XD

Roiai 100 Themes

#10 約束
Promise

Riza does not pledge her word lightly. Any of her associates can attest to this. When she gives her word, she takes it seriously (…she takes everything seriously, but this is beside the point…). So when she takes ill one rainy afternoon and is therefore forced to change the plans she had vouched for the evening, it eats away at her horridly. Perhaps the only thing more stalwart than Riza herself is her Immune System—her work attendance record was nigh flawless. Consequently today’s blemish upon it is more troubling to her than even the fever that keeps her in bed. She scowls at the thermometer in her hand.

38.5º (Celcius~about 101.5º Fahrenheit). High enough that she knows better than to go into work…but not enough to really feel justified in staying home. Buraha whines softly from the foot of her bed, and she smiles. It seems even the dog knows something is well out of sorts when his mistress is truant.

She lifts her head (and it pounds spectacularly for the sudden movement) when there comes a knock at the door. Who could that be? She slowly gets out of bed and wraps her cotton robe about her shoulders. She goes and pulls the door open cautiously, a startled gasp escaping her lips at the sight in the ingress.

“Ta—Taisa!?” she cries, alarmed and suddenly terribly self-conscious. His eyes are pleasant, but worried, his hair soaked from the rain, and she feels guilty he braved inclement weather to come all this way to check on her. “Has something happened?” she wants to know, suddenly apprehensive, and he shakes his head. She notices the single red rose between his fingers, and the small plastic bag he is holding beneath his coat, and the flush over her face is suddenly not the fault of the fever alone. She bashfully accepts it as he hands the flower to her, and invites him in. She is loathe to risk sharing her cold with him, but is certain he won’t take no for an answer.

He shoos her into the room, urges her to sit on the bed. She’s ill, after all. She doesn’t understand just what he’s up to until he sets the plastic bag on the desk and removes from it two small containers filled with some manner of soup.

“You…cooked, Sir?” she asks with anxiety in her voice, and he looks reproachfully at her.

"Gods no! I want you to get better, not worse!” He hesitates. “I had Fuery make it.”

She laughs softly. He hands her one of the cups and a spoon, and says slyly as he takes a seat beside her with his own, “You promised you would have dinner with me tonight.” His dark eyes glint impishly as he urges her to eat by lifting his own soup cup in a mock toast. “Can’t have you breaking promises, now can I?” he says with a smile, and she sips at the soup.

She is starting to feel better already.

riza is always the caretaker...and i do so love a good role reversal. <3 thoughts? and in case anyone wondered, it is a canon fact that roy is a lousy cook, i didn't make this up, it was in an official fanbook. ^____^

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
WrenchFreakWinry
post Mar 26 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 9,129

The lines "(…she takes everything seriously, but this is beside the point…)", and "Gods no! I want you to get better, not worse!” He hesitates. “I had Fuery make it.” had me laughing very hard... the fact that Roy can't cook to save his life amuses me to no end. Great job again, neechan. ♥

--------------------
Little Sister to Hagane_no_Tokage!
[no, really... she's my sister.]

user posted image

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 26 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #24

here's theme 11. another episode 25 spoiler.

Roiai 100 Themes

#11 Liar

Roy Mustang was many things. He was a soldier, a commander, a cohort and a comrade. At least…he was thus at work. He was a dancer, a joker, and an incorrigible flirt. These things he was while off-duty (and, occasionally, while on-duty, much to the staff’s chagrin). He was a social drinker, a flamboyant speaker, a devious prankster and a loveable fool…and these things he was no matter the occasion.

But one thing he had never been accused of being…was a liar.

Yes, Roy was many things, but brutally frank above most. He took deep-seated pride in his honesty and the integrity of his word. He admitted to carefully choosing those words to keep secret that which deserved to be so…but a campaign of misinformation made not a fraud.

So when the subject of how Edward Elric was going to be informed of the death of Maes Hughes was brought up, Roy had balked. How could he tell the boy that Maes was gone? It would crush him; tear him into pieces to know that jovial, reliable Hughes was gone—struck down in the line of duty.

Roy had skirted the issue.

He knew it would come back to bite him eventually. Edward’s fists were far-reaching. When the boy found out what the colonel had kept from him, his visible fury had been much more painful than any blow he could have inflicted. And yet…Roy could say he had never lied about it. He had found the loopholes.

“Hughes is…not here right now.”

“He’s away.”

“He’s incapacitated at the moment…”

Not one of them had been false. Not factually complete, certainly, but never untrue. Edward hadn’t understood this. Roy had never expected him to. After all, Fullmetal was a child. And what did children understand of the desire of adults to protect them from words that wound?

Roy had been ready for the day to end for hours now. But there were still forms to sign and papers to file. He sighed, then lifted his eyes when there was a knock in the open doorway.

“Hawkeye,” he said mildly, and she nodded at him. He waved her into the office, and she approached the desk and placed a stack of files on the corner. Her eyes told him that they were not the sole rationale behind her visit. “What?” he asked. She tilted her head.

“You take things too harshly, Sir,” she chided. He looked ruefully at her as she leaned on the desk. “Edward-kun doesn’t appreciate now all you’ve done for him. He will one day.”

Roy snorted.

“I don’t really care what he thinks of me,” the colonel remarked sourly, snatching the stack of files from the corner of the desk. “He’s just a child. As if it matters to me what he thinks.”

He jumped when Riza was suddenly behind him, her arms around his shoulders and her nose in his hair.

“Liar,” was all she said, and he lowered his head because…for once…it was true.

yay, ed's first appearance in my themes! thoughts?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 26 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #25

Alchemists

Haha, my boyo's fists are indeed far-reaching. Gorgeous word choice as usual, Kage-san. <3 I appreciate the wordplay as much as the sentiment in 11, and 10 is just plain cute. Poor Roy and his inability to cook...at least he can light the barbecue!

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 26 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #26

another silly one. <3

Roiai 100 Themes

#12 証
Proof

He looked at her over the rim of his coffee mug and watched a moment as she skimmed through the stack of papers he had just finished with. She read very fast, he mused, and then jumped when she spoke abruptly.

“Please stop staring at me, Sir.”

She hadn’t lifted her head, she hadn’t looked at him… How had she known?

He set the mug down on the desk and folded his hands.

“Chuui, I have a question,” he said, and she lifted her eyebrows but did not look up from the paperwork.

“I will endeavor to have an acceptable answer,” she told him, and he chuckled.

“Well, about that…” he began. He paused, and she glanced at him. “You’re so…duty-oriented,” he told her, as if she perhaps wasn’t aware of her own tendencies. “Don’t you ever…you know…act impulsively?”

She quirked an eyebrow.

“Impulsively, Sir?”

He leaned forward.

“You have never failed to carry out an order,” he said, “and you always know what needs to be done, even before someone requests it be done…” He shook his head and grinned. “But don’t you ever do things spur-of-the-moment? Impromptu?”

She frowned at him and set the papers in her lap.

“Contrary to popular belief, Taisa,” she said smoothly, “I have an exemplary grasp of extempore activities.”

He looked dubious.

“Is that so?”

A wily smile crept into her expression.

“Are you asking for proof, Sir?”

He blinked.

“Proof…?”

She rose, set the paperwork in the chair she had been using, and walked resolutely toward the desk. He instinctively leaned back when her hand snapped out toward him, but he wasn’t quite fast enough to evade her deft grasp. Riza snatched the front of Roy’s uniform jacket by the collar, pulled him forward, leaned over the desk, and planted a firm, fast kiss on his lips.

He was so very startled by this that he didn’t even have the chance to be alarmed (or allured) by her actions before she had let go of his collar and he slumped back into the chair, looking rather shell-shocked for the whole thing.

Riza folded her arms and smiled slightly at him, then returned to her chair again and unquestioningly went back to proofreading his paperwork.

Roy sat absolutely still a moment, then lifted one finger to brush across his lips. He looked at her, then down at his desk.

From that day forward, he never again questioned the spontaneity of his First Lieutenant.

you know she's been looking for an opportunity to smooch him... XD 410 on this one. yayee.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 26 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #27

Alchemists

I think Roy would certainly call that an acceptable answer. ^^ Sasuga, Kage-san. Very cute.

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 26 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #28

took a little liberty with this one... the speculations hereafter are simply that are are not upheld by any official canon-ness. </disclaimer>

Roiai 100 Themes

#13 背信
Betrayal

This was…awkward. He couldn’t see beyond his nose, but to rise and grope about blindly would have been terribly undignified. However…he was unnerved sitting alone behind his desk, and was somewhat for want of the sensation of another soul beside him.

There was another crash of thunder from outside, and he jumped at the sheer proximity of it—as if someone were banging a gong against the windows. He closed his eyes and placed his hands flat on the desk.

“Chuui?”

Riza responded with a monosyllabic sound of acknowledgement.

“Are you all right?” he asked dumbly. She tilted her head.

“Of course,” she replied matter-of-factly. “It’s just a power outage. Harmless. Relatively common during summer thunderstorms.”

Well, now he just felt stupid.

There was another crash of thunder, and Roy cleared his throat uncomfortably.

“Chuui…?”

“Yes, Sir?”

“Where are you?”

She blinked.

“On…the couch, Sir,” she replied, confused, “where I’ve been the whole time.” She hesitated when he fell silent, and then a knowing smile crossed her face. “Roy Mustang,” she said suddenly, and he stiffened, “are you afraid of thunderstorms?”

There was an indignant choking sound from the direction of the desk.

“Don’t be absurd!”

Riza’s eyes softened, and she rose to walk toward the desk.

“Sir, don’t be ashamed,” she told him. “Lots of people suffer from bantophobia.”

He scowled.

“Bank-of-what-ia?”

She chuckled and placed a hand on his shoulder to press him back into his seat.

“Fear of storms,” she clarified. He bristled.

He despised admitting it, but the truth was, he hated thunderstorms. He had since childhood, and he supposed he had never gotten over it. 'Fear' wasn’t exactly the right word, he just…hated them. Rain was bad enough, but adding 200,000 amperes of voltage and 120 decibels of reverb made it all the worse. It had never been so much fear as general inordinate abhorrence for the complete package…they made him nervous. That was all he would admit to.

He took a slow breath.

Riza couldn’t believe that, long as they had known one another, she had never noticed this trepidation. It seemed Roy was as adept at keeping secrets as he was at getting into trouble. She chuckled when another crash of thunder jarred the walls and his back tensed up like a cat in a tree.

“Don’t tell me you have no irrational fears, Hawkeye,” he scolded darkly. She shook her head.

“That would be deceitful of me,” she said. “I have one.”

“So tell me what it is so I can stop feeling like you’re one-up on me.”

“I fear betrayal.”

He looked at her.

“That’s not irrational,” he said, and a fond smile bloomed across her face.

“It is, Sir,” she said as a flash of lightning illuminated the office, “when you are surrounded by a staff such as ours.”

And as thunder shook the building again, her fingertips absently working at the knots tying themselves into the worried shoulders of her commander, Riza supposed his silence meant he agreed.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 27 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #29

Alchemists

Ahh, lovely. Roy's twitchiness and Riza's calm...I would fanart this if it wasn't too dark to see them. ^^ And perfectly reasonable fears for them both.

--------------------

boy.

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 29 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #30

gawd, this one was hard to shave to 500 words without making it choppy... u__u

Roiai 100 Themes

#14 伏せられた瞳
Covered Eyes

It was mid-afternoon and (amazingly) most of the work was complete. Oddly enough, the colonel had been motivated to get things done today. She’d only had to prod him once or twice to get the paperwork dwindling.

So she sat on the sofa, thumbing through one of the reports he had signed off on, wondering what she was going to do now that almost everything was finished and she wouldn’t have to poke at Roy to wrap up the filing.

She sat up, straightened her back, arched it, and yawned. As much as she ribbed him for procrastinating, Riza could sympathize with and relate to Roy’s loathing for paperwork. Of course she wasn’t going to tell him that. He was in the break room indulging in coffee, so her lethargic yawn had gone unnoticed.

She resumed reading when she heard footsteps, and didn’t look up when she felt his presence in the doorway. There was no need to acknowledge his return from a breather, and perhaps if she looked duly occupied, he would follow suit. But it seemed that wasn’t the case today. She grinned inwardly when she felt him slink into the room, thinking she hadn’t noticed him.

Ah, a game?

He did this sometimes when he was feeling particularly spirited. If he thought he had the element of surprise, he would try and sneak up on her. He had only been successful in startling her once, and she had no intention of letting his record improve.

But…there was no harm in letting him think he had the upper hand. For now.

Suddenly a pair of broad, warm hands covered her eyes.

“Guess who?” he whispered, and the hidden smile bloomed visibly.

Oh. This game. She snickered to herself. She enjoyed this one.

She rattled off the name of her favorite male musician.

An offended scoff returned a negative response.

Then…her favorite male actor from the theatre downtown?

Another indignant no.

She squirmed. Her old boyfriend from the Academy?

The hands slid away with a grunt of disgust, and Roy stalked toward his desk; sat down with a huff; spun his chair to face the window. Riza frowned at this unexpected reaction. These games had never ended with injured feelings before.

She shook her head. While it was easy to make Roy pout…he was just as easily placated in most cases. She crept up behind his chair and mimicked his previous actions, covering his eyes with her hands.

“Guess who?”

He sighed peevishly and drummed his fingers on the arms of his chair.

“My date for the evening?” he growled, hoping to irritate her back with a taste of her own medicine. He was surprised when her hands slid away and she leaned down to kiss him coyly on the temple.

“I’ll pick you up at seven,” she consented, and went back to the couch as his jaw fell open in shock.

In the game of ‘Surprise Attack’, Riza would always be a few steps ahead of her commander…

awww, roy's subtle indignation and closet jealousy is so cute. <3

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 09:18 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css