HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

43 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Evolution? Creation?, What do you believe in?
What do you believe in?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 207
Guests cannot vote 
Reluna
post Mar 11 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #46

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,908

I voted for the last one because I believe we were created, but I also believe that we evolved to get to the way we are now.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Falling_Man
post Mar 11 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 4,082

QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 11 2005, 02:45 PM)
The idea that mankind was 'designed' to be this way is bunk. If it were true, why do we break down so easily? Why are our organs suspended on thin membranes? Why are we so easily killed by something like deep vein thrombosis, which one can get simply from sitting in one position for too long? Why are certain races so susceptible to cancer, heart disease and birth defects? Why are our bodies not self-sustaining, in general?

If this is someone's design, then that someone is either sadistic or just plain incompetent.
[snapback]130756[/snapback]

I could offer up an explanation, but you might not listen. I'll do it anyways. tongue.gif

This is in part caused by that original sin Eve commited back in the Garden of Eden, that being eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (it's not an apple, that's only used for illustrational purposes. I'm sure you knew that already, though)
That happened because God gave us free will. Many sicknesses occur as the consequences of our own actions. (ex: AIDS from sex, Cold from overexposure to cold, things of that sort) Also, our bodies aren't designed to take some of the abuses we put it through. They were made in this way to show that we need to be dependant on outer forces, like God. And for the races one... That probably has to do with the possibily that the people who became them ate or did something funky that caused that suspectability and/or problem.

^(I get the feeling that it's gonna get bashed so harshly. Oh well.)

--------------------
Thank you for taking your time to read this post.
It is asked of you to proceed to the next post in a orderly manner,
as this will allow a much smoother flow in your forum experience.

-Another forum nut who is also a self-proclaimed sanely insane person.

Credit goes to Ailuro for the sig. (Sankyuu, Sensei~! X3)

+Quote Post
Xithion
post Mar 12 2005, 01:51 AM
Post #48

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,230

@Falling - Very nicely put!

@Arche - Wouldnt you have to factor in the magnetism changes that occur on the earth do to sun-spots? There are recordings of people achieving higher test scores, better athletic performance, and many other things during these.

--------------------
user posted image
~Lover of Shardy
-Queendom Status: Paladin Knight

+Quote Post
Prinz_Zoisit
post Mar 12 2005, 03:06 AM
Post #49

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 30

wow, remy..

your statement is very impressing.. i love such scientific arguments....

uhm, interesting for me was that heavy elements couldn't so easy develop because of this mass gap...(which has to bind the protons/neutrons etc)....

and impressing also how you told us about how the dns is structured^^... i had this thing with amino-acids in my chemistry... it's very iinteresting...

this statement of yours should convert many ppl to become believers^^^^^^

^thanks^^

--------------------
IPB Image

"Two things fulfill my mind with always new and increasing admiration and reverence the more frequently and continuously i think about it busily:
the sky full of stars above me and the moral law inside of me..." (Immanuel Kant)

+Quote Post
Username05
post Mar 12 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #50

Alchemists

Member No.: 5,739

QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 10 2005, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE(Username05 @ Mar 10 2005, 10:28 PM)

I have seen no evidence of evelution true, and all that has been found has been a joke (Like the Nebraska man. (A pigs tooth they said came from a missing link, but was later proven to be a hoax.)) or people speaking with an ignorent tounge. (like the guy who found the Coelacanth fossil (A fish that still lives in the Indian ocean it has cartiledge apandages with fins on the end.))
[snapback]129924[/snapback]

Again, I point you to the many documented and easily observable cases of bacteria and viruses evolving to develop resistances to vaccines and anti-biotics. Of course, larger organisms take exponentially longer to adapt through mutation, but even the visible differences between races and ethnicities can be explained as natural selection at work.
[snapback]130054[/snapback]

Ok, but have they changed into a different spicies yet? No, they havn't.

Find an animal that has ,for the better, gained information and isn't just a mutation
(A cow with legs comeing from its head is not a gain in info it is the re-use of old info.)(If its genetics don't go with its children it isn't a posotive gain in info.)

QUOTE(Bling_bling_Angel @ Mar 10 2005, 11:27 PM)
Actually, guys, it's all very simple... you're juss making it complex and declaring that there's no intelligent design and Creator in the name of perverted "scientific enlightenment". mellow.gif

Think about it this way:

You come across a mansion in the middle of nowheres. You enter and inside you see it full furnished, but then no-one's home.

Juss cuz no-one's home, are you gonna say that that house juss materialized out of nothingness? Are you gonna say that there was no architect? JUSS BECAUSE NO-ONE'S HOME?!?!!

*regains control*

Okay, let's take the "Big Bang" hoo-hah.

According to the Big Bang, everything required to form the universe and its components were contained in space and juss over time, turned into what we now see.

Okay, lets take this example:

To make a slam-dunk you need: a player, a b-ball, and a court. If you keep a b-ball on the court and expect it to bounce on it own--AKA, without any interference--your outta your head if you think that "time will work the process" without any intelligence. It's parallel to the Big Bang - you've got the ingredients and the location... but what above the player? Answer that, Sherlock...

Same diff, guys... *shrugs*

It's not sentimental religiousness...

Hell, no -- it's down right COMMON SENSE AND LOGIC.

It's bullshit to believe a mansion sprung out of the ground on its own... it's stupidity to think that a senseless basketball can do the slam dunnk ON ITS OWN!
[snapback]130374[/snapback]

I like the way you say it.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 12 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #51

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(Falling_Man @ Mar 12 2005, 04:33 AM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 11 2005, 02:45 PM)
The idea that mankind was 'designed' to be this way is bunk. If it were true, why do we break down so easily? Why are our organs suspended on thin membranes? Why are we so easily killed by something like deep vein thrombosis, which one can get simply from sitting in one position for too long? Why are certain races so susceptible to cancer, heart disease and birth defects? Why are our bodies not self-sustaining, in general?

If this is someone's design, then that someone is either sadistic or just plain incompetent.
[snapback]130756[/snapback]

I could offer up an explanation, but you might not listen. I'll do it anyways. tongue.gif

This is in part caused by that original sin Eve commited back in the Garden of Eden, that being eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (it's not an apple, that's only used for illustrational purposes. I'm sure you knew that already, though)
That happened because God gave us free will. Many sicknesses occur as the consequences of our own actions. (ex: AIDS from sex, Cold from overexposure to cold, things of that sort) Also, our bodies aren't designed to take some of the abuses we put it through. They were made in this way to show that we need to be dependant on outer forces, like God. And for the races one... That probably has to do with the possibily that the people who became them ate or did something funky that caused that suspectability and/or problem.

^(I get the feeling that it's gonna get bashed so harshly. Oh well.)
[snapback]131052[/snapback]

If you think that this will stand up as an explanation, you're sadly mistaken. Scriptural 'evidence' isn't evidence at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 12 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #52

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Username05 @ Mar 12 2005, 04:12 PM)

I have seen no evidence of evelution true, and all that has been found has been a joke (Like the Nebraska man. (A pigs tooth they said came from a missing link, but was later proven to be a hoax.)) or people speaking with an ignorent tounge. (like the guy who found the Coelacanth fossil (A fish that still lives in the Indian ocean it has cartiledge apandages with fins on the end.))

Again, I point you to the many documented and easily observable cases of bacteria and viruses evolving to develop resistances to vaccines and anti-biotics. Of course, larger organisms take exponentially longer to adapt through mutation, but even the visible differences between races and ethnicities can be explained as natural selection at work.

Find an animal that has ,for the better, gained information and isn't just a mutation
(A cow with legs comeing from its head is not a gain in info it is the re-use of old info.)(If its genetics don't go with its children it isn't a posotive gain in info.)

[snapback]131337[/snapback]

Like I said, it takes thousands upon millions of years for any complex organism [i.e. anything that's multicellular] to exhibit mutations drastic enough to be considered a 'new species'. And contrary to what creationists like to believe, evolution doesn't take place for the benefit of species, but for the benefit of specific genes and traits. Every species that survives has genetic traits that are dominant and 'useful', and therefore able to withstand interbreeding. Some traits, because of environmental changes, become obsolete and no longer viable in nature, and the species that carry them eventually mutate or go extinct, depending on what other traits they possess. This explains some of the more curious features of the human anatomy, like the appendix and the vestigial tail.

Again, I understand why people have trouble trusting the idea of evolution, since it's a process that takes place over such a long period. Is there a possibility that some of the precepts of evolution are misstated, or just plain wrong? Yes. Does this lend any credence at all to the idea of Creationism? Emphatically NO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Username05
post Mar 12 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #53

Alchemists

QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 12 2005, 09:44 AM)

Like I said, it takes thousands upon millions of years for any complex organism [i.e. anything that's multicellular] to exhibit mutations drastic enough to be considered a 'new species'. And contrary to what creationists like to believe, evolution doesn't take place for the benefit of species, but for the benefit of specific genes and traits. Every species that survives has genetic traits that are dominant and 'useful', and therefore able to withstand interbreeding. Some traits, because of environmental changes, become obsolete and no longer viable in nature, and the species that carry them eventually mutate or go extinct, depending on what other traits they possess. This explains some of the more curious features of the human anatomy, like the appendix and the vestigial tail.

Again, I understand why people have trouble trusting the idea of evolution, since it's a process that takes place over such a long period. Is there a possibility that some of the precepts of evolution are misstated, or just plain wrong? Yes. Does this lend any credence at all to the idea of Creationism? Emphatically NO.
[snapback]131356[/snapback]

Then how come all genetics are going down hill, all people will have brown hair and brown eyes someday (other than the albinos.) That is the complete oposite of evelution, people are loseing genes, not gaining them.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
RemyLeBeau
post Mar 12 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #54

Citizen

Member No.: 8,849

QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Mar 12 2005, 05:06 AM)
wow, remy..

uhm, interesting for me was that heavy elements couldn't so easy develop because of this mass gap...(which has to bind the protons/neutrons etc)....

and impressing also how you told us about how the dns is structured^^... i had this thing with amino-acids in my chemistry... it's very iinteresting...

^thanks^^
[snapback]131290[/snapback]

Thanks - although I don't think many people will give up evolution so easily, the theory's come close to dying before and other people just picked it up again.

Anyway, yeah. I like to make a scientific argument because people so easily throw away scriptural evidence.

Oh, and What, no bacon? the age-old argument that scripture is a pack o lies doesn't hold up either. There have been several instances where people disagreed with historical references in the Bible, things that 'couldn't happen' and other stuff. But every time, historians and archaeologists have found evidence to the contrary. Scientists have proven that soundwaves of a certain frequency (within the range of human speech, too!) could shake stone from the mortar around it. This shows that Jericho could actually have fallen by the Israelites' marching and trumpeting.
Other instances include mating times and gestation periods for frogs - when certain ones overlap, frogs appear in much greater quantities. Historians speculate that was one of the punishments God put upon Egypt. They have also found evidence of a pre-epidemic outburst of the Black Plague in Egypt, as well as explanations for all the others. However I don't have the book with me, so I'll just post it later.

Even historical references have seemingly contradicted the Bible, then later showing that the Bible is right. I need to go NOW, so I will finish this later. Sorry!

--------------------

It was like that when I got here.

Check Out My Portfolio!
-Remy LeBeau

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 12 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #55

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Username05 @ Mar 12 2005, 04:50 PM)

Then how come all genetics are going down hill, all people will have brown hair and brown eyes someday (other than the albinos.) That is the complete oposite of evelution, people are loseing genes, not gaining them.
[snapback]131358[/snapback]

You clearly didn't understand what I said. Genes get outmoded because they are no longer viable. Blond hair is a recessive trait and is not environmentally sustainable because of its susceptibilities. Albinism will also eventually be outmoded. It shows that nature is cycling out traits that no longer fit into the 'grand scheme of things', so to speak. And the idea that we're only 'losing' genes and not 'gaining' them is also faulty. Mutations may seem to be contractionary, but the fact is that we're always developing new traits [albeit over a protracted time span] to sustain us in nature as a species, because we're such complex organisms. Remember, changes in nature happen very gradually, and as such, changes in human genetic code happen even more gradually, because they're essentially playing catch-up.

I found my copy of the Dawkins book, so I'll be able to pull stuff out of there to support what I'm saying now. Yay!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 12 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #56

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(RemyLeBeau @ Mar 12 2005, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Mar 12 2005, 05:06 AM)
wow, remy..

^thanks^^
[snapback]131290[/snapback]

Thanks - although I don't think many people will give up evolution so easily, the theory's come close to dying before and other people just picked it up again.

Anyway, yeah. I like to make a scientific argument because people so easily throw away scriptural evidence.

Oh, and What, no bacon? the age-old argument that scripture is a pack o lies doesn't hold up either. There have been several instances where people disagreed with historical references in the Bible, things that 'couldn't happen' and other stuff. But every time, historians and archaeologists have found evidence to the contrary. Scientists have proven that soundwaves of a certain frequency (within the range of human speech, too!) could shake stone from the mortar around it. This shows that Jericho could actually have fallen by the Israelites' marching and trumpeting.
Other instances include mating times and gestation periods for frogs - when certain ones overlap, frogs appear in much greater quantities. Historians speculate that was one of the punishments God put upon Egypt. They have also found evidence of a pre-epidemic outburst of the Black Plague in Egypt, as well as explanations for all the others. However I don't have the book with me, so I'll just post it later.

Even historical references have seemingly contradicted the Bible, then later showing that the Bible is right. I need to go NOW, so I will finish this later. Sorry!
[snapback]131360[/snapback]

I never said that scripture is a 'pack o lies'. I'm well aware that many of the events described in the bible are based on actual events. The problem is that historical evidence by and large rules out any kind of divine intervention, and all the events you described can be explained very easily without reference to any kind of mystical powers.
When it comes to the book of Genesis, however, there has been absolutely nothing to support the claim that the earth was created in 7 days, 5,000-10,000 years ago. And there is certainly nothing to support the claim that this was done at the hands of some all-powerful being with a grand design in mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Username05
post Mar 12 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #57

Alchemists

QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 12 2005, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE(Username05 @ Mar 12 2005, 04:50 PM)

[snapback]131358[/snapback]

You clearly didn't understand what I said. Genes get outmoded because they are no longer viable. Blond hair is a recessive trait and is not environmentally sustainable because of its susceptibilities. Albinism will also eventually be outmoded. It shows that nature is cycling out traits that no longer fit into the 'grand scheme of things', so to speak. And the idea that we're only 'losing' genes and not 'gaining' them is also faulty. Mutations may seem to be contractionary, but the fact is that we're always developing new traits [albeit over a protracted time span] to sustain us in nature as a species, because we're such complex organisms. Remember, changes in nature happen very gradually, and as such, changes in human genetic code happen even more gradually, because they're essentially playing catch-up.

I found my copy of the Dawkins book, so I'll be able to pull stuff out of there to support what I'm saying now. Yay!
[snapback]131362[/snapback]

But the Albinism will spread, it may even end up with everyone being albino.
The reason brown hair and brown eyes will be is because it cancels the other colors out. but being albino cancels out the brown, so unless all albino people are killed or don't have children it will spread just as brown eyes and hair will.

Tell me a change for the better the human race has taken.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 12 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #58

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Username05 @ Mar 12 2005, 05:14 PM)
The reason brown hair and brown eyes will be is because it cancels the other colors out. but being albino cancels out the brown, so unless all albino people are killed or don't have children it will spread just as brown eyes and hair will.

[snapback]131367[/snapback]

Albinism will spread... wha? Where'd you hear that? Albinos are rarer now than they were 200 years ago, and the chances of an albino child being born, even to an albino parent are very slim. Case-in-point, my dog's father is an albino boxer, but she herself has brindle hair and brown eyes, and none of the other dogs in her litter exhibit any albino traits, either.

I'm not a biologist, or anything, but that's just a bogus assertion that you made.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Username05
post Mar 12 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #59

Alchemists

QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 12 2005, 10:20 AM)

Albinism will spread... wha? Where'd you hear that? Albinos are rarer now than they were 200 years ago, and the chances of an albino child being born, even to an albino parent are very slim. Case-in-point, my dog's father is an albino boxer, but she herself has brindle hair and brown eyes, and none of the other dogs in her litter exhibit any albino traits, either.

I'm not a biologist, or anything, but that's just a bogus assertion that you made.
[snapback]131370[/snapback]

That isn't true there are not fewer albinos, and your dog now caries the albino gene his/her puppies could be albino, or there puppies or so on, but the albino gene in your dog will not deminish. The albino gene can spread, it may not, but if both paernts carry it there child will. Just because you aren't albino dosn't mean it isn't in your genetics. If only one of the parents have it there is only a slite chance, that is why I said "it may even end up with everyone being albino"

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Mar 12 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #60

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Username05 @ Mar 12 2005, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Mar 12 2005, 10:20 AM)

[snapback]131370[/snapback]

That isn't true there are not fewer albinos, and your dog now caries the albino gene his/her puppies could be albino, or there puppies or so on, but the albino gene in your dog will not deminish. The albino gene can spread, it may not, but if both paernts carry it there child will. Just because you aren't albino dosn't mean it isn't in your genetics. If only one of the parents have it there is only a slite chance, that is why I said "it may even end up with everyone being albino"
[snapback]131377[/snapback]

What proof do you have? Show me statistics that point to a rise in albinism in the general population, then we'll talk.

And no, the albino gene does not necessarily get passed on. Only half of the genes from each parent get passed on to a child.

--------------------

+Quote Post

43 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 09:51 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css