HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
jacksparrow589
post Jun 5 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #21361

Special Ops (Piratical Gallery Enforcement)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 48,158

Roy is definitely a more complex character in the manga/Brotherhood, but (as I'm sure others have said) considering anime1 was made back when Roy wasn't exactly developed, they did what they could with him, and it was supposed to be different than the manga, anyway. Could they have done a better job fleshing him out? Sure--he could've been developed differently. But half the fun of watching anime1 (for me, at least) is being able to surrender to the exaggerated "awwww..." factor. It's like the fanfic I could never write believably--that's why I enjoy it so much. As much as I try to keep in-character, I have a ton of fun screwing with characters any way I can.

Simply put, I enjoy Roy (and Riza and Royai--what little there was) from anime1, and just anime1 in general, because it's all so different from the manga/Brotherhood. But Roy, Riza and Royai from the manga (and the manga in general) are where my true loyalties lie.

Oh, and I cranked out another fic, so there will probably be 2 from me on Royai Day. I haven't written much in a few months, so neither is top-notch, but they're not so bad. (IhopeIhopeIhope...)

--------------------

Credit goes to Causmicfire for my avatar

The Royai Day party might be over, but the fun never stops!
Royai Day 2011 Album
Thank you to all those who contributed!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jun 5 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #21362

Major General

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jun 5 2010, 07:39 AM) *
QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Jun 4 2010, 04:03 PM) *
I'd say that Travis is pretty on the money with Roy this time around, I think he realises he's different. Same with Colleen.

Is this true? Because it would be SUCH a relief if he didn't play Roy the same way he did anime!Roy because all they have in common is their hair color, and I was concerned he'd play him like the other stiffer, less sentimental Roy...but if it's true that he has watched some Brotherhood, that's awesome, too, because it's hard to miss the difference between the two characters.

It's true. Travis said in his commentary that he realizes Roy in the manga/Brotherhood is completely different than in anime 1 and he wanted to make sure to make the distinction between them. So the way he plays Roy is how Shinichiro has been playing Roy: more light-hearted, serious when he needs to be, less goofy, and much more focused on his goal. He also sounds like his age.

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jun 5 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #21363

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

I have just recently noticed how big of a difference Travis plays Roy in comparison to anime1!Roy. A while back, a friend was whining to me about how deep Roy's voice and since I was still used to the Roy from the first anime, I kinda agreed. But just yesterday, I was looking up dubs and I realized how much of a change there was and I am seriously pleased by it. It made me happy when I actually heard a voice that sounded so serious all the time.

Man, I checked on amazon how much the DVDs were (cuz commentaries are often what gets me to buy DVDs) and they're a tad over $30. No way I'm going to end up getting that anytime soon. ._.

And in regards to the Royai Day Festival, I might churn out a fic myself. I love summer; It gives me time to enjoy what I love. doing.

+Quote Post
angelofsarcasm89
post Jun 5 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #21364

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,605

I'll agree that Travis has been spot-on with Brotherhood Roy. I think he's really benefited from the experience he's gotten from other shows since anime1 ended. Same with Colleen. I'm excited to hear them in these next couple episodes, with the Lust fight and everything leading up to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jun 5 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #21365

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

Man, I love commentaries. I can watch all of them for LotR and not get tired. XD But this makes me want to go buy Brotherhood. I'm a poor student and have no money, but I can probablyb scrounge up something.

As for Travis, I think he's dont a superb job in Brotherhood as Roy. There's a definite change that I think characterizes this Roy much better than anime1.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 5 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #21366

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

Thanks for the info on the festival, and for everyone's comments about Brotherhood. It is SUCH a relief to hear that he sees the difference between the two and shows it. I feel a lot of dub actors play off of stereotypes and don't actually ACT (anyone watched the DGM dub?), so hearing things like this is a comfort

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jun 5 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #21367

Major General

So just watched the dub of ep. 17, and the phone call between Roy and Riza was actually better than the Japanese version - mostly because of the fact that Colleen used her normal voice as 'Elizabeth'.

The thing I wished that Colleen did was sound more like a simpering, giggling airhead as Elizabeth, but the scene really came off extremely well.

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jun 5 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #21368

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 49,283

Just a couple more days(a day for some) until the festival starts!

Please follow these rules to keep this thread spoiler free until a scanlation of 108 is released:
- Comments and thoughts regarding the last chapter must be covered in spoiler tags. (This also includes comments such as "This chapter was awesome!", etc.)
- Don't use emoticons in the spoiler tags. Ex: please refrain from emoticons even to say 108 = biggrin.gif As pointed out by Hagaren_4ever, you can just uncheck the box that enables emoticons in your post, and only the text form will show up.
Attached File  emoticons.PNG ( 43.42K ) Number of downloads: 4

- Don't post links to pages of the chapters.
- Don't post pics, icons from the chapter until the scanlation is out.

Together until the end...so many possibilities. Does Roy become Fuhrer? Does Riza finally unpack all the boxes in her apartment? Do they live happily ever after, or does getting the country back on its feet fill them with strife. What about repentance for their sins during war? Does Roy ever get his 520 cenz back? Does Hayate get harassed by a little Roy/Riza? Does the wedding of the century take place in the Armstrong mansion?

Fanfic, FanArt, FanComics, Omakes, Fan Sound Tacks, AMVs, MMVs, anything RoyAi is welcome!

*has the 7th off of work* Hopefully I'll be able to get something done before the end of the first day.

Bored? Click on the link in my sig to see what was turned out at last years festival!

--------------------

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post Jun 5 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #21369

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

Where's everyone watching the dubs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jun 5 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #21370

QUOTE (_Jelly @ Jun 5 2010, 11:05 PM) *

Cartoon Network.

Although, Funi seems to be putting some up on their site, too. I think they have 1-3 up now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post Jun 5 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #21371

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

Oh Poo. Man, Australian CN used to show FMA1 but stopped, and they havent even started on FMAB... =\ hmm, I dont even like dubs but all this talk has got me interested.

Anyway, seeing that post you made, Causmicfire, that reminds me... is anyone here actually going to read the spoilers before scanlations are released? I saw a lot of people saying they werent.

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jun 5 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #21372

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

^They're usually up for download on Cartoon Palace and/or Cartoon World a couple of hours after they've aired. happy.gif

And I'll be reading the spoilers, definitely. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Causmicfire
post Jun 5 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #21373

If I'm able to hold out from reading spoilers, I'll crack when a translation is posted, unless I can keep myself off the interweb...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jun 5 2010, 11:42 PM
Post #21374

Member No.: 68,646

I'm not going to read the spoilers. I really reeeally want to wait for the scanlation this time around. ><

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jun 6 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #21375

Major General

QUOTE (_Jelly @ Jun 5 2010, 11:05 PM) *

I watch them on Cartoon Network. Though it's supposed to air at 12am, I can watch at 9pm (PST) as mine feed is three hours ahead.

Also, iTunes has the dubbed eps for purchase if you want to go that route.

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2016 - 09:15 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css