HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

1516 Pages V  « < 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread, For Roy, Riza, and Royai fans, and more!!
Rating 5 V
Aribelle
post Jun 14 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #16321

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,646

Ooh, nice fic, jacksparrow589! I concur with everyone else, we need to know more about Roy's backstory. There's a fair amount of mystery surrounding his origins, so I hope that some of it will be revealed before the story ends ^^

(If not, we can all just write a lot of fanfiction haha...actually even if it is revealed I still hope to find a lot of fanfiction about it laugh.gif)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lost_in_translat...
post Jun 15 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #16322

Citizen

Member No.: 68,889

~ Would he follow if she was killed, would Roy Mustang die if Riza died? ~

So I do hope this thread won't get closed for some reason coz I'd really like to get some answer on this question that's been bugging me for a while.

We all remember the famous quote: ˝When this battle is over my body will leave this world together with the corpse of the flame alchemist˝ (Riza chap. 95).

So do you think it would've worked the other way around too?

Please don't close this thread I'm dying for answers. If you must at least merge it with some other thread *beggs on knees*

--------------------

+Quote Post
rinoaebastel
post Jun 15 2009, 03:40 AM
Post #16323

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,455

QUOTE (jacksparrow589 @ Jun 15 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Right, well, the discussion about Roy's State Alchemist exam wouldn't leave me alone. So, this being me, I wrote a fanfic for it. It's nearly 2000 words, does a bit of jumping around, and I think I may have fudged a few facts (and a bit of Roy's character), but we'll just call it artistic license and leave it at that, 'kay? wink.gif

Here it is, if anyone would like to take a look: Days of Reckoning

wow, it's so good ;D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 15 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #16324

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Lost_in_translation - A couple of notes from me: ^^

1.) Sorry to burst your bubble, but your so-called "famous quote": ˝When this battle is over my body will leave this world together with the corpse of the flame alchemist˝ isn't even in actual FMA chapter 95., per se. Actual FMA chapter 95 raw doesn't include any line about Riza's wish to have her corpse lying next to Roy's corpse. That quote is just some euphuism concocted by some translator for that particular version of translation, (possibly to make his/her translation sounds more dramatic???) It's fine that you enjoy that line, or enjoy reading such scanlation, or even fantasize about it, but please know that that is not actually in the real FMA chapter. biggrin.gif

..FYI, in the actual chapter, Riza simply says, if she ends up killing Roy (in that particular situation where they were in, in chapter 95,) then, once all their battles against their enemies are over, she would kill herself because she does not wish to have her alone going on carrying on the leisurely life. The line, in my interpretation, is not just Riza dying because she ends up killing Roy, but also encompassing far deeper meaning, going all the way back to their guilt of Ishibal war, and their resolution for them, for their generation to carry the "sins of Ishibal war" so that the next generation doesn't have to... her intention of killing herself in that line is not just some romantic "oh, Roy, I can't live without you...," IMO. sleep.gif

2.) I'm not going to "kill" this topic, but I will merge this to "Roy and Riza" discussion thread in a while, since IMO this discussion belongs on that thread. ...in fact, if you go to that thread and find posts around the time when chapter 95 came out, then you will see related discussions about that part of Roy's and Riza's dialogue there. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lost_in_translat...
post Jun 15 2009, 07:36 AM
Post #16325

Citizen

Member No.: 68,889

Oh I guess I was reading the wrong scanlation. But I was reading the one at onemanga.com huh.gif tongue.gif

Anyway thanks for merging my thread. And thanks even more for claryfying stuff about me. I can get a bit confused and when that mixes up with my fantasies it can get pretty wild. Although I actually prefer your interpretation coz it really deepens their relationship. It goes beyond that simple: ˝I can't live without you so I'll just shoot myself.˝ It's really almost poetic.

Thanks again Tombow-san! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jun 15 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #16326

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Lost_in_translation - You're welcome! ^^ If you like reading discussions about Roy and Riza, I highly recommend to stick around on "Royai" thread, because the thread has many very good discussions on Roy and Riza. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Lost_in_translation @ Jun 15 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Oh I guess I was reading the wrong scanlation. But I was reading the one at onemanga.com huh.gif tongue.gif

And, reading it at that site supposed to mean anything? Like, as if to guarantee some kind of legitimacy as to the content of the scanlation? LOL!!!!!! If anything, if you read it on Onemanga.com, that means you can NOT trust what you've read to be the actual content of that chapter. XDDD tongue.gif

Here are some cautionary words about believing what you read on onemanga.com... first, I'm very VERY grateful for the services that site is providing for all the FMA fans... however... please know that, from what I see, the most significant factor for the scanlation to get on that site seems to be SPEED, and not the quality of the scanlation work, nor the accuracy of the translation in the scanlation, as, I think, that site just put on whatever the first scanlation submitted for that chapter. Hence, often the FMA scanaltion seen there are the ones made with the LEAST amount of time (and it shows, as most of them rarely have any sound effect edit or any other quality scanlation works done) Nor checking for any accuracy of the translation. In fact, over the past, I had seen FMA chapter scanlations with some outrageously inaccurate translations posted there, and some of them were even to the point of altering FMA story line, such as ..stating that Amerstris was (at the time of that scanlation) at war against some country called "Donpachi," in fact that was a complete mistranslation of the word "donpach" which was just a Japanese word for describing a sound of canon & gun. >.< In other words, I or you could, possibly catch a chapter raw as soon as it comes out, then quickly fill in all the bubbles with just bogus made-up conversations, and submit it there, and that might possibly get posted as the FMA chapter scanlation for that chapter. Hope you keep that in mind when reading any FMA scanlations there. Enjoy reading them as some kind of FMAish creations "based on" FMA chapters, but don't believe everything you read there as the actual contents of real FMA chapters. smile.gif

----------------------

ETA: Thread merged. WELCOME to the Royai thread!! biggrin.gif

...BTW, please don't forget to include the proper credit for your avatar and sig if those are NOT made by you, or using fanart done by artist other than you. Please read this post for all the explanations about providing the proper credit to the fanartists for your signature and avatar. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jun 15 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #16327

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

Yes, I've realized that as well on OneManga. I usually go there just for a speed-read of the basic jist of the chapter and then I come here and find someone else's translation of the raw since the translators here are very meticulous about their work. wink.gif

@jack: Yay! Fic! It makes me happy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jun 15 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #16328

Member No.: 3,267

Another example of why I wish people wouldn't take translations so literally.

Not on here but on a LJ site called Fandom Secrets I saw people calling Riza weak because she said she would die if Roy died. However she never actually said this. Character bashing annoys me to begin with but when it happens because of translations it upsets me even more. And sadly I see it happen a lot.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Jun 15 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #16329

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

QUOTE (Kirara @ Jun 15 2009, 08:48 PM) *
Another reason why I wish people wouldn't take translations so literally.

Not on here but on a LJ site called Fandom Secrets I saw people calling Riza weak because she said she would die if Roy died. However she never actually said this. Character bashing annoys me to begin with but when it happens because of translations it upsets me even more. And sadly I see it happen a lot.

Oh darn, really? Ugh. Well, that translation was a bit over the top I must admit, it was so blatently Royai that it made even myself (an ardent Royai fanatic) gasp. I mean... fine, they may hint at things, but neither him nor her would be that blatent in front of others, particularly considering that there was: 1. a Homunculus and 2. Ed and Scar. And... Riza would never admit blatently anything about Roy, especially if she recalls her faceoff with Pride earlier on.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
Aribelle
post Jun 15 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #16330

Member No.: 68,646

The thing with the speed scanlators for a lot of the popular series is that many - not all of them use the same two translators, and since onemanga isn't the only site that hosts scans by the groups that release quickly you're really going to find those translations wherever you go to read manga. So the group that gets their scan out the fastest is probably using one of those two translations, and even if the site switches out the scan for a more HQ one as they come out more often than not you're still going to find the same translation.

There has been a lot of debate about how many liberties translators should be allowed to take, and honestly I don't care since they're doing us a service, but I mean to each his own.

Back on topic...

Do I think that Roy would kill himself if Riza died? Well...in short, no. I don't doubt that he would be really, REALLY upset, but I think that he would realize that, unless she died of circumstances completely unrelated to supporting him, she basically would have died for him to advance his dream, and so he himself dying would render her death to be in vain. I think instead he would feel that much more obligated to achieve his goals for her sake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jun 15 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #16331

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (Aribelle @ Jun 15 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Back on topic...

Do I think that Roy would kill himself if Riza died? Well...in short, no. I don't doubt that he would be really, REALLY upset, but I think that he would realize that, unless she died of circumstances completely unrelated to supporting him, she basically would have died for him to advance his dream, and so he himself dying would render her death to be in vain. I think instead he would feel that much more obligated to achieve his goals for her sake.

It's hard to answer that... With Maes gone, Roy's main source of support was Riza and she helped him to get back on his feet. If she were gone as well, it's hard to determine what kind of state Roy would be in. Mentally, I think he'd be able re-focus his efforts and try to move on towards his goals to honor both Riza and Maes but emotionally...it's hard to say. Do I think he'd be willing to perform a transmutation - no, do I think he'd be suicidal - no, but do I think he would just shut down emotionally...possibly.

+Quote Post
amestris_star
post Jun 15 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #16332

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 67,594

The only adjective I can find fitting for him should that ever happen is - empty. Plain empty.

--------------------

"I'm sorry... thank you..."
Credit for signature art goes to: http://www.geocities.jp/yn_cq/ for the amazing Royai artwork! And to Michiyo for the avatar coloring!

+Quote Post
hand-made-city
post Jun 15 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #16333

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,054

QUOTE (amestris_star @ Jun 15 2009, 05:48 PM) *
The only adjective I can find fitting for him should that ever happen is - empty. Plain empty.

Empty is a good way to describe how Roy would probably feel if Riza were to die. Especially if it was for his sake. I'd imagine that he'd feel pretty hopeless in that situation, being faced with the homunculi alone and suffering from the loss of his subordinates (although they did end up abandoning the military for him, but either way, they aren't in much of a position to help him the way Riza does. And Havoc is mostly out of commission.) Roy would have much less to fall back on, so he'd probably feel really empty and alone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jun 15 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #16334

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

QUOTE (hand-made-city @ Jun 15 2009, 05:01 PM) *
QUOTE (amestris_star @ Jun 15 2009, 05:48 PM) *

Empty is a good way to describe how Roy would probably feel if Riza were to die. Especially if it was for his sake. I'd imagine that he'd feel pretty hopeless in that situation, being faced with the homunculi alone and suffering from the loss of his subordinates (although they did end up abandoning the military for him, but either way, they aren't in much of a position to help him the way Riza does. And Havoc is mostly out of commission.) Roy would have much less to fall back on, so he'd probably feel really empty and alone.

Empty...that's a great adjective to describe Roy in that situation. I dont think he'd take his own life because I think that Riza would want him to keep living (and vice versa), but still, she was one of his greatest supports and it would be a heavy blow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Jun 15 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #16335

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Yeah, though whatever the case may be, I don't think the manga version of Roy would be like the Roy from the first series should anything happen to Riza.

+Quote Post

1516 Pages V  « < 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 03:51 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css