HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Do People Hate Winry And/or Edwin?, Discuss one of the toughest issues!!!
inuhana
post Jul 20 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #421

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,874

The hints are in black, so don't read them if you haven't read up to book 19, or seen more than 25 episodes of Brotherhood.
Please feel free to remove this if they give too much away.
I support EdWin, let's get that straight.
However, I can also agree with those who don't like it. I mean, Winry is not the most complex character, though cute as a button.
She displays qualities that are less than appealing, such as being the reigning princess of nagging.
Pic related.

Both the manga and animes (no, that's not a typo) present her with having no real horrible qualities, like being a closet serial killer or something. If anything, she is the poster child for "the perfect girlfriend." At least, automail wearers seem to like her...
On another note, Winry was becoming increasingly less of a sympathetic character. Hiromu actually, I feel, gives in to the [i]moe[\i] craze during the Briggs chapters. HER EYES ARE SOOOO BIG. During the Scar/gun scenes, she becomes the tragic heroine I know and lurve so much.
On the other side, Ed is a dip when it comes to romance. Like his father, hehe? So, while some people want these two opposites to attract, others want the oil to stay seperate from the water. (Really bad analogy)
So, yeah, I can understand.
But, I still support the pairing, because it is adorable and canon and opens up an avenue for "big brother teasing time."
Plus, the author sets it up for you to want it. I mean, there's tension of all kinds, and together, and apart, and...ARGGGHHH.

--------------------

Get it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JackDawkins
post Jul 20 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #422

Citizen

Member No.: 73,219

QUOTE (inuhana @ Jul 20 2010, 04:23 PM) *
However, I can also agree with those who don't like it. I mean, Winry is not the most complex character, though cute as a button.

Winry isn't a complex character? How so? I mean I find it hard enough to define a "complex character". I've never thought Ed was really a complex character. I know a thousand screaming fangirls who will tear me apart for saying that but still. But I can say Ed's a nicely developed character. It really all comes together nicely by the last chapter. And I've always thought Winry was a really nicely developed character. All the crevices of who she is, how she feels and how she acts - I think it's all been very well thought out and brought into play over the course of the story. One of the reason I love her so much is because I can clearly see how she's been characterized and developed and I think it's all brilliant. Yet there's still more to her character that I can discover.

+Quote Post
inuhana
post Jul 20 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #423

Citizen

Ah, I should have rephrased that. Winry is certainly a developed character. And Edward isn't complex, I agree there. I was trying to say that, because she doesn't leave you guessing what her motives are at the end of every chapter, many people could lose appeal. (I can only think of Haruhi from Ouran Host Club as a suitable example.)

Or, I could just have no clue. happy.gif' My view on the characters can be a bit...skewed at times. Can you say yuri goggles?
Either way, I support this pairing, and have the doujinshi to prove it! >w<

--------------------

Get it?

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jul 20 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #424

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jul 20 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Still, I woud have liked that Edward met another girl and got hooked up with her.

That would have been akward.
A random girl thrown in the plot just for the sake of being Ed's girlfriend?
I can't imagine Ed being with any other girl than Winry. Their personalities suit each other very well. They were friends who gradually came to like each other, and there are enough EdWin moments to prove that.

FMA isn't really a shoujo manga, so I can't see any dramatic turns between EdWin that would make them unpredictable. That would be kind of strange for FMA, don't you think?

As for Winry, she's a developed enough character, though not the best. As many have posted before, fans hating Winry probably are merely just jealous. tongue.gif

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
JackDawkins
post Jul 20 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #425

Citizen

Member No.: 73,219

QUOTE (inuhana @ Jul 20 2010, 05:57 PM) *
Ah, I should have rephrased that. Winry is certainly a developed character. And Edward isn't complex, I agree there. I was trying to say that, because she doesn't leave you guessing what her motives are at the end of every chapter, many people could lose appeal. (I can only think of Haruhi from Ouran Host Club as a suitable example.)

Or, I could just have no clue. happy.gif' My view on the characters can be a bit...skewed at times. Can you say yuri goggles?
Either way, I support this pairing, and have the doujinshi to prove it! >w<

Ah, okay. Yeah, I can see how if she's not a character that keeps you guessing someone could lose interest. I think the only characters that have ever kept me guessing in FMA are Ling/Greedling and Alphonse. That may seem weird (especially about Al) but that's how it is tongue.gif Still have interest in them all though happy.gif Winry always kept me thinking I guess.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jul 21 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #426

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

QUOTE (Winry Rockbell~ @ Jul 20 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Why on Earth would you want Ed to hook up with another random girl? That would be...just...pointlessly dull and stupid. Arakawa is a MUCH greater writer than that...

I don't know, maybe I want some change. I think it's not good to spend your youth with just one girl. It would make the story more complex if Ed had some one-night-stand kind of girl, unless she was some alchemy genius like he is (MarySue). But really, it's about personal preference. I like Fma story the way it is, both of them, I don't ean to offend it. I just think being interested of other girls is normal and should be experienced before becoming an adult.

Why would Ed being hooked up with another girl be stupid? Of course, having only one destined girl for Edward makes the story more understandable and simpler than Edward having different girls in different towns. In my opinion, hooking Ed up with another girl can be made a good sideplot if it is done by a good writer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jul 21 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #427

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

^ I think that would do BAD things for Ed's character. It would make him less like-able to a lot of people. His devotion to Winry is sort of like his devotion to his brother. It's just the kind of person he is. He's not the sort for distractions. And, especially considering the fact that he is only 15 years old for the majority of the story, Arakawa probably wouldn't want to deal with the controversy of painting Ed's character, the hero in the story, as a guy that goes around sexing up the ladies and then leaving them. xD It's a story for a teen demographic, after all. It just doesn't seem consistent with his character. Haha, I hope I'm making sense here. ^^

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Nefertekas
post Jul 21 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #428

Citizen

Member No.: 67,307

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jul 21 2010, 03:44 PM) *
QUOTE (Winry Rockbell~ @ Jul 20 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Why on Earth would you want Ed to hook up with another random girl? That would be...just...pointlessly dull and stupid. Arakawa is a MUCH greater writer than that...

I don't know, maybe I want some change. I think it's not good to spend your youth with just one girl. It would make the story more complex if Ed had some one-night-stand kind of girl, unless she was some alchemy genius like he is (MarySue). But really, it's about personal preference. I like Fma story the way it is, both of them, I don't ean to offend it. I just think being interested of other girls is normal and should be experienced before becoming an adult.

Why would Ed being hooked up with another girl be stupid? Of course, having only one destined girl for Edward makes the story more understandable and simpler than Edward having different girls in different towns. In my opinion, hooking Ed up with another girl can be made a good sideplot if it is done by a good writer.

Umm... Excuse me?
I met my first and only boyfriend at 16. I'm 21 now. Tomorrow, exactly at the 22nd of July, it's gonna be our 5th anniversary.
I never before felt the need of being with anyone before him (of course I had crushes and all that...). I was NEVER the type of person to hook up with someone just for the sake of making out. I started going out with him because I felt this incredible pull towards him. Hook, line and sinker.

Ever considered that Ed never really paid any attention to girls? He was completely focused on their objectives, so everything else was basically sidetracked. (especially "random" girls that he barely had any time to get to know. If he were like Roy I'm sure he wouldn't have any problem hitching a girl in every town, hehehe...But Ed's not focused on the physical, he's just not the type. It's his own personality kicking in full-force here)

I think being interested in other people is healthy, of course, but I've got nothing against finding your one true love at first hit. Sounds cheesy I know... But hey, he's the one for me - my first hit -, so why couldn't Winry be the one for Ed?
Note that my bf is 6 years older, so I was partically attracted by his (apparent) maturity. (XD)

I see nothing wrong with Ed slowly (and reluctantly) realising his feelings for the girl he knew best in the world. I think it's actually really cute. Everyone knows what most teenage boys think about girls... some don't care about girls, while girls daydream about having boyfriends. XD

Well, all this just to say that I completely disagree with your little idea of having Ed go through some random one-night-stand. Don't mean to be offensive or anything though, but that's... Just not him. He's never waste time on that.

Probably Ed has such strong feelings toward Winry because - in an odd way - he finds in her the mother figure he lost. I don't mean he sees her as his mom (eww?) but it's actually a very strong phsychological factor in most men's mind. She tended his wounds, nursed him, took care of him, supported him, scolded him, etc. Feelings could pretty darn well sprout from all those moments... Plus, they know each other's deepest scars and accept them. They're still in love.
That's adorable, IMO. <3

(I'm sorry if I sound kind of agressive, I really don't mean to! But I reread my post and I sound a bit.. IDK, harsh? Sorry. <3)

--------------------
"You have given me an arm and a leg to stand with... Your hands are not for killing.
They are the hands that save people's lives."

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jul 22 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #429

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

QUOTE (Nefertekas @ Jul 22 2010, 12:43 AM) *
Well, all this just to say that I completely disagree with your little idea of having Ed go through some random one-night-stand. Don't mean to be offensive or anything though, but that's... Just not him. He's never waste time on that.

I know all that, Edward isn't the type to jump from one bed to another. I repeat once more, it's about PERSONAL PREFERENCE. That is my reason why I don't like EdWin and I think my opinion is understandable.

BTW, congrats on having luck with finding a boyfriend. I'm turning 19 next week and I still haven't found the first one. mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
inuhana
post Jul 22 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #430

Citizen

Keep your chin up, the time is not yet right for you!
OCs are fun, though I agree it would change Ed as a character. I like EdWin a lot, just because you look at them and go, "Awwww..."
Kinda like Hughes and Gracia.
Oh snap, could that be a reason why Winry is at that house so often? For the parallels in relationships?
On that note, I just got a future image of Ed with a hypothetical daughter, flashing pictures in everyone's face and being a general annoyance.
Squee.

--------------------

Get it?

+Quote Post
rosieechan
post Jul 22 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #431

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,287

QUOTE (inuhana @ Jul 22 2010, 02:19 PM) *
On that note, I just got a future image of Ed with a hypothetical daughter, flashing pictures in everyone's face and being a general annoyance.
Squee.

HUGHES. *cries* I miss his annoyance still.

Aww! That would be so cute! But kind of un-Edwardish...but then again...I don't really know about his preferences with children. ^^' He'd probably brag, though, lol.

--------------------

Pink n Black icons @ LJ

EdWin :: AlMei :: LingFan :: Royai

+Quote Post
inuhana
post Jul 22 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #432

Citizen

"Look at my young child's superior alchemy!! Hahaha!"
Something like that.
Post has been edited.

Haha, just realized what thread I was in.
So, EdxWinry...yeah.
I feel like the pairing is "easy." It doesn't hurt to like it, and there isn't much conflict in the relationship. (Unless you count them both being clueless) I mean, this isn't RoyxRiza, where there is a job and enemies and protocal.
This is just two kids in love.
Any thoughts?

--------------------

Get it?

+Quote Post
Nefertekas
post Jul 28 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #433

Citizen

Member No.: 67,307

QUOTE (Misty- Nala @ Jul 22 2010, 06:24 PM) *
QUOTE (Nefertekas @ Jul 22 2010, 12:43 AM) *

I know all that, Edward isn't the type to jump from one bed to another. I repeat once more, it's about PERSONAL PREFERENCE. That is my reason why I don't like EdWin and I think my opinion is understandable.

BTW, congrats on having luck with finding a boyfriend. I'm turning 19 next week and I still haven't found the first one. mellow.gif

Well, taking the two characters' personalities (and looks, hehe) and part of their pasts, it would actually be interesting to have them meet as teenagers or young adults instead of old friends, having had different lives before they met. That scenario would be terribly romantic - and then, yes, I would picture Edward as someone who'd already been in a relationship before. Hmmm. *daydreams*

Jumping from one bed to another... biggrin.gif
You're right, your opinion's perfectly understandable. I'm sorry that I might have been a tad harsh, just because my opinion goes the oposite direction. ^^;

Oh. Don't worry, you'll find someone sooner or later. We have a saying that goes like this: "Better alone than in bad company." So trust me, you'll find someone special eventually.
Just be cautious with some guys. You're not a silly 15 or 16-year-old anymore, but a woman in love with the wrong guy always acts like a little child. XD

In fact, I often wonder if Ed will end up actually spending most of his adult life travelling. But that's not appropriate for this thread. -.-

--

@ imuhana:

Well yeah, they're two kids in love. Of course. ^^ Two SHY kids for that matter. It's more than just your typical teenagy passion fling, because of all that they've shared before.
Usually in the beggining of a relationship it's mostly about passion, being replaced by love over time. I think in their case it might be both.
of course, it's kind of funny to think of the two of them being passionate at all, considering Ed's shyness and all that. Though he's also stubborn and he knows what he's after. laugh.gif
Reason for edit: Removed Spoilers

--------------------
"You have given me an arm and a leg to stand with... Your hands are not for killing.
They are the hands that save people's lives."

+Quote Post
xHearter
post Jul 30 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #434

Citizen

Member No.: 74,417

the main reason most people hate winry is because she's to aggressive and over reacting in the manga. In the first anime she's not as bad but is still very aggressive. I really dont see how its bad enough to hate her in the anime tho. but hating winry often leeds to hating edwin because EVERYONE who watches the show likes ed, and sometimes winry doesn't seem good enough for him.
honestly in the beginning of the manga i didn't really like it, it seemed to much of an abusive couple, but then when the thing happened with scar i changed my mind and it was wonderful! and through out the whole animeseries i loved edwin, ever sense episode 6 when ed was writing a letter to her.
nina: "ooh a letter, who are you writting to?"
ed: "A PERSON IT DOESN'T MATTER!" >///<

--------------------

FMA
If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your
hands, snapping, or drawing an array, copy and
paste this into your signature

xMinty = My sister!! <3<3<3 (sadly. jkjkjkjk! xDD)
she made my AH-mazing avi! ^^

Shinigami-Sama ish my bro!<333 (happily. jkjkjk! xDD)
OMG X-MAS COLORS!!

BYES! ^^

+Quote Post
hoprabbit
post Aug 1 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #435

Citizen

Member No.: 74,584

QUOTE (xHearter @ Jul 30 2010, 01:29 PM) *
......because EVERYONE who watches the show likes ed, and sometimes winry doesn't seem good enough for him.

......LIES. XD

I personally don't like Edward(I've said this before somewhere. XD. He's alright if he's in the background, but too much of him has made me...Eh. XD Plus, toward the end, he lost everything I ever loved about him, so he wasn't my version of Ed anymore. Therefore I dislike him. Does that make sense?) and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Just like with Winry, some people just don't like his personality.

Though he is cute. ^^

Just felt like I should tell you that, so you have the facts straight. ;D

--------------------
My name is Hop. See my Fullmetal Alchemist Fanfiction? And I have a problem.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 07:15 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css