HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Do People Hate Winry And/or Edwin?, Discuss one of the toughest issues!!!
xMinty
post Jul 11 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #406

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,457

QUOTE (hoprabbit @ Jul 11 2010, 02:07 AM) *
QUOTE (xMinty @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 AM) *
that's rude pairing up al with someone you hate do you hate al too?? =/

edwin seems like an amazing pairing to me in the first anime! I don't get why people keep saying there's no compatibillity between then in the first anime. It's pretty much canon!
but I still don't really like it.
it's a very amazing pairing.
but I don't like it.

and I like alwin even less =/
even though it's wayyy cuter than edwin but thats probably just because it invloves al and it really just wouldn't work.

I never said I didn't dislike Al. I know you're gonna be offended(You've gotta be the biggest Alphonse fan on the site, but like that's a bad thing. XD) But...

Yes, Al can be a bit annoying. He's a bit of a doormat sometimes and can't catch anyone's attention because he's so softspoken. Plus, outside the doting little brother thing....I don't see much in Al. ^^;

But this topic is on Winry. So that's irreleveant. =D
Also...How is it any more rude to say Winry is like Al than to say wha tI dislike about Winry? XD
And no offense to the Alphonse and/or Winry fan in you. Just my opnion. ;D

oh well I thought you were pairing al with winry because you didn't like him that would have been very rude =O
but if you actually like that pairing then...that's your opinion so whatever because I like winry and al and alwin is kinda cute.

but about edwin.
(Warning! End of series spoilers ahead! DO NOT read if you haven't read that last chapter!)its CANON you guys!!
Ed got all shy when Nina asked who he was writing too because he was writing to winry.
then, in the movie, when winry hugged him he was blushing like crazy!
Those two moments made it odvious that he has a killer crush on winry.
and also,
ed and al had fought over who would marry winry when they were little.
so ed odviously loves winry
winry odviously loves ed too.
her whole life practically revolved around waiting for him to come home when he and al were gone for 4 years.
and she keeps crying about ed whenever he doesn't seem to care about her.

--------------------

xhearter=my sister <3333
shinigami-sama ish my brother @w@
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nefertekas
post Jul 11 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #407

Citizen

Member No.: 67,307

QUOTE (xMinty @ Jul 11 2010, 05:13 PM) *
but about edwin.
(Warning! End of series spoilers ahead! DO NOT read if you haven't read that last chapter!)its CANON you guys!!
Ed got all shy when Nina asked who he was writing too because he was writing to winry.
then, in the movie, when winry hugged him he was blushing like crazy!
Those two moments made it odvious that he has a killer crush on winry.
and also,
ed and al had fought over who would marry winry when they were little.
so ed odviously loves winry
winry odviously loves ed too.
her whole life practically revolved around waiting for him to come home when he and al were gone for 4 years.
and she keeps crying about ed whenever he doesn't seem to care about her.

You're talking about the first series. Ed also blushed when Winry's tending to his hair. ^^ But I don't remember much more.

But in the manga and in Brotherhood, damn, there are tons of references to that pairing.
Now it's not even a matter of whether it is or not canon. It's a matter of why people still don't like the pairing and/or Winry.

(honey, you need to speel it "obviously", with a B and not a "D" wink.gif )

(EDIT: hahaha, now I noticed I misspelled "spell" XD here's to irony! PHAIL wink.gif )
Reason for edit: You need to spell spell right :D. Also removed spoiler.

--------------------
"You have given me an arm and a leg to stand with... Your hands are not for killing.
They are the hands that save people's lives."

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jul 11 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #408

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

Oh, no doubt EdWin is canon. I simply don't like it, is all.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post Jul 11 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #409

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

Well, I suppose people will like what they like. I'm the kind of person that isn't really bothered that easily. I never saw a reason to hate Edwin, so I never bothered with it, since I knew it was gonna happen from the start, so why not just let it happen? tongue.gif

Though, by that same logic, I'm also okay with pairings like Alwin, Edroy, Edling, or whatever you wanna like. I just like Edwin because it always wins in the end, and I am winner. laugh.gif

Though, I think the problem is that a lot of people think that all Winry haters are Ed fangirls and yaoi lovers but they're not. I don't know, I guess everyone has a least one character that they don't really think fits. :/ Oh, well. People hate what they hate, ya know? I wouldn't get too bent outta shape over it. It's not meant as an offense to you, it's just that they don't like something you do. Gosh, maybe I'm just talking in circles here, I don't know if I'm making any sense. ^^'

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
lunneth
post Jul 12 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #410

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,587

if i'm completely honest i do think most people who hate winry do because they either love ed or ed and others in yaoi. i honestly cannot beleive that people hate her because she dosen't fit because she completly does. it would just be silly. it's pretty simple in my mind. i personally love the pairing. i find it better than the awkward looks and meetings on the streets of people who are intended to pair up in anime like shakugan no shana. edwin is much more interesting (btw completely my opinion)

--------------------

persona rp: [url="http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12717"]
thankyou Arakawa sensei for the 9 years of awsome story lines, characters and plot twists that became Fullmetal Alchemist. it's been one hell of a ride :3

+Quote Post
JackDawkins
post Jul 12 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #411

Citizen

Member No.: 73,219

What I don't understand is those people who hate Winry because she's "violent" and they take this so seriously talking about abusive and manipulative relationships and act like they are such a saint of a good person thinking Winry's got major issues and we need to get Ed away from her. But what really gets me is the people that think like this - fine go ahead and take issue with comic violence - but they excuse Izumi beating on Ed because it's got a "deep rooted emotional cause" yet while they're willing to probe deep into the teacher's mind to figure out why she smacks her students around they won't do this for Winry. To them, Winry is just violent, manipulative and bitchy.
Reason for edit: Crossing border into actual trashing and name calling of of FMA character. Please feel free to re-edit, but no direct name calling of any FMA character please.

+Quote Post
hoprabbit
post Jul 13 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #412

Citizen

Member No.: 74,584

QUOTE (JackDawkins @ Jul 12 2010, 03:26 PM) *
What I don't understand is those people who hate Winry because she's "violent" and they take this so seriously talking about abusive and manipulative relationships and act like they are such a saint of a good person thinking Winry's got major issues and we need to get Ed away from her. But what really gets me is the people that think like this - fine go ahead and take issue with comic violence - but they excuse Izumi beating on Ed because it's got a "deep rooted emotional cause" yet while they're willing to probe deep into the teacher's mind to figure out why she smacks her students around they won't do this for Winry.To me, Winry' seems too violent, and seems too manipulative and seems bitchy sometimes.

I disagree. I think Izumi and Olivier seems b*tchy sometimes to me too.
But they're b*tches that I like.

No, there's really no reason for any of them to do this to anybody. I just don't like Winry because she's bubbly and strong, a mechanic and pretty, outgoing and loving, klutzy and emotional....

If she had some sort of magic ability to heal something or cried tears that grew rhododendrons and more males in the series had a crush on her, I'd consider her a Mary-sue. Then again, so is Ed, somewhat, in male form. But I'm not a big Ed fan either.

I'm totally in it for the military. And if a single person says that any one of Roy's team is a mary-sue/gary-stu, I will probably go nuts and disagree vehemently.

Show me differently and I will eat my words gladly.
Reason for edit: Both of you, please stop direct name calling of FMA characters (although I know you used it here to mean it in a good way) also, please do not write hurting of other FMA fans even when you're using it just as an expression. Thank you! ~ Tombow

--------------------
My name is Hop. See my Fullmetal Alchemist Fanfiction? And I have a problem.

+Quote Post
JackDawkins
post Jul 13 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #413

Citizen

QUOTE (hoprabbit @ Jul 13 2010, 01:48 PM) *
QUOTE (JackDawkins @ Jul 12 2010, 03:26 PM) *
What I don't understand is those people who hate Winry because she's "violent" and they take this so seriously talking about abusive and manipulative relationships and act like they are such a saint of a good person thinking Winry's got major issues and we need to get Ed away from her. But what really gets me is the people that think like this - fine go ahead and take issue with comic violence - but they excuse Izumi beating on Ed because it's got a "deep rooted emotional cause" yet while they're willing to probe deep into the teacher's mind to figure out why she smacks her students around they won't do this for Winry. To me, Winry' seems too violent, and seems too manipulative and seems bitchy sometimes.

I think Izumi and Olivier seems b*tchy sometimes to me too.
But they're b*tches that I like.

No, there's really no reason for any of them to do this to anybody. I just don't like Winry because she's bubbly and strong, a mechanic and pretty, outgoing and loving, klutzy and emotional....

If she had some sort of magic ability to heal something or cried tears that grew rhododendrons and more males in the series had a crush on her, I'd consider her a Mary-sue. Then again, so is Ed, somewhat, in male form. But I'm not a big Ed fan either.

I'm totally in it for the military. And if a single person says that any one of Roy's team is a mary-sue/gary-stu, I will probably go nuts and disagree vehemently.
Show me differently and I will eat my words gladly.

Well I wasn't referring to how you feel. That little rant was fueled by a group of people I recently saw that do think like that.

The fact that you're using the term mary-sue in a work that isn't fanfiction shows how valid your feelings are. You must not know very much about characterization.

But if you're just in it for the military then fine, no problem. Just stop using the term mary-sue to validate an otherwise weak argument. Make a real defense for why you dislike the character or admit that you don't have one. There's no reason why a character that has all the traits of a well rounded and well developed character should irk you or warrant the juvenile name calling of "mary-sue". wink.gif

+Quote Post
AXavierB
post Jul 13 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #414

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,365

If a character displays Mary Sue traits in something that isn't fanfiction, they are called Canon Sues instead.[/TV Tropes ruined my life]

I don't see how Ed is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu/whatever. Well, I mean, admittedly he does have a few of the traits of one. He was a child prodigy in alchemy, he's the youngest person to ever pass the entrance exam and become a State Alchemist, and he's one of the last surviving members of an ancient race... I just disproved my own point there.

--------------------
"There is no such thing as wrath inside me."

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jul 13 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #415

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Reminder>

Everyone, please remember that everyone is entitled to his/her own liking disliking of any FMA characters. Discussions on such likes/dislikes of the FMA characters on the designated thread such as this one are fine as long as both party are willing to participate, but you guys don't need to escalate it to the point of starting the direct name calling of FMA characters, or start talking about hurting other FMA fans to emphasize your point. Please choose other words to explain your train of thoughts. smile.gif (I made quick edits of parts of you guys' posts that are expressing such. Please feel free to re-edit and change to other expressions. But no direct name calling of FMA characters, nor expressing your intention of hurting other FMA fans, please. ^^ )

--------------------

+Quote Post
JackDawkins
post Jul 13 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #416

Citizen

QUOTE (AXavierB @ Jul 13 2010, 03:39 PM) *
If a character displays Mary Sue traits in something that isn't fanfiction, they are called Canon Sues instead.[/TV Tropes ruined my life]
I don't see how Ed is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu/whatever. Well, I mean, admittedly he does have a few of the traits of one. He was a child prodigy in alchemy, he's the youngest person to ever pass the entrance exam and become a State Alchemist, and he's one of the last surviving members of an ancient race... I just disproved my own point there.

Sometimes I wish the idea of the Mary Sue had never entered the world....

A character should be judged through careful consideration of all their aspects along with the setting and merit of the individual story - not merely by picking out certain traits on a list that would mark them as a "mary sue" or something equally ridiculous. You can't analyze a character that way.

Tombow, you edited my other post so it seems that I'm saying Winry is manipulative and bitchy ^^; I don't feel that way, I was saying that other people do. Is it okay that I changed it back to something similar but less direct?

<Yes, of course! ^^ Yeah I couldn't quickly come up with more accurate substitute expressions. Sorry!! Please feel free to re-edit as you see fit. ^^ ~ Tombow>

+Quote Post
Mysteria
post Jul 14 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #417

Citizen

Member No.: 74,850

My opinion:

EdXWinry is just one of those things that works. I mean... no one else would probably tolerate how she gets angry like that without getting past it seeing that she smacks him around because she's worried about him. And he only stayed away because he didn't want to hurt her(I think..... ), and hecause of the ultimate goal thing they had goin' on.

AlXWin.... not working. Although he's a main character, he's got the make-up(Without the armour, of course) of a not-quite-minor-but-not-main character. He's kind of a pushover, and Winry likes her men tough(Not to say he isn't!).

I don't think Winry's a Mary Sue, although the stupid titles probably shouldn't have been made in the first place. A Mary Sue's a perfect character, right? Well, her killer temper makes it hard to say she's 'perfect'. No one's perfect. Ed's not; he's a shrimp, XD. With an even bigger temper.

+Quote Post
hoprabbit
post Jul 20 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #418

Citizen

Member No.: 74,584

-is currently eating words via spork- It's salty...=P

I still stand my ground, even if my reasons are being doubted. Winry rubs me the wrong way, Ed seems too perfect(I know, he messed up and such but he's got so much power and good looks.....sigh. I'll be quiet now) , and I'll leave it at that. Say what you want. XD

Also, I feel I should apologize. Sorry if I offended or scared anyone, I acted a little stupid there. Got a bit emotional. XD

--------------------
My name is Hop. See my Fullmetal Alchemist Fanfiction? And I have a problem.

+Quote Post
Misty- Nala
post Jul 20 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #419

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,416

I can't say I actully hate Winry or Edwin. Winry is a great character, she is pretty and everyone admires her in some way. The problem with EdWin is that it is so predictable.

Of course, most of the pairings in anime are predictable but in Fma, there are many many hints about their developing relationship. In my opinion, from childhood friends to potential lovers is a lame plot. What I like is realism. Most people meet their destined companions as adults.

As I said, everyone keep expecting somethign to happen, Hawkeye even tells it straight to his face and Hughes said somethign about Ed seducing a mechanic. EdWin was first a joke in manga as it usually is in real life if some people fight a lot but still are in terms. People tend to classify persons and things to make life simpler.

What I hated the most was that Edward was trying to deny his feelings while Winry was okay with them. Of course it goes with their personalities, and Edward doesn't propably want to even think of a love affair with anyone while Al is still an armor. What I would have liked a bit more ws Ed admitting: "Yeah, I like her and will marry her one day."

All in all, the pairing is predictable. Everyone thinks they are meant to be together. The onyl thing they wait for was the day they would admit their love to each other. Still, I woud have liked that Edward met another girl and got hooked up with her. C'mon Ed, you're a great catch, greater in anime than manga but still, there would be dozens of girls behind your door in line.

Maybe the shows just portrays old values.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Winry Rockbell~
post Jul 20 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #420

Citizen

Member No.: 68,641

Misty-Nala - I understand disliking the thing of "it's predictable," but if it wasn't, that would arouse tons of complaints. Look at Al and Mei, a whole bunch of people are whining about them possibly getting together, saying stuff like "there are no hints whatsoever, why would they jsut randomly end up together?" and stuff like that. It would be the same with Edwinry. I tihnk the reason Ed denied was, well, hey, he's a 16 year old kid. Also add in the fact that there was a huge possiblity of him dying somewhere along the way.

Why on Earth would you want Ed to hook up with another random girl? That would be...just...pointlessly dull and stupid. Arakawa is a MUCH greater writer than that...

--------------------

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 04:16 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css