HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Why Do People Hate Winry And/or Edwin?, Discuss one of the toughest issues!!!
Toby-Chan
post Feb 22 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #31

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,284

Girls beating up boys is a common staple in anime comedy. Besides, she hardly ever does it.

And looking at the whole, Winry is above average in her niceness, her willingness to help her friends, and is intelligent, and insightful into other people's emotions. And just like a normal human, she does get sad, confused, and needs help once in a while. And when those times come, she listens. She takes Hughes' advice, on Ed's birthday, she helps Shezka with her investigations, she does all sorts of amazing tasks.

I'm a little surprised at the reasons people will find to hate a character. With Winry, there's very little to hate. I'd wager to say that most of the people who have criticised her are far more weak, selfish and emotionally unstable than she.

And really, if she were to change for the even more positive, people would once again criticize her, but for being a goody two-shoes, and being 'too perfect'. And still, they'd try to pick out something wrong with her.
That's like with Tohru in Fruits Basket. She is a very feeling, human character, but for that with her rare personality, she is never cruel, selfish or mean. (Unless it's self-criticsism, but even that she keeps downplayed so not to worry others) Yet still, she's wildly hated, for being "Annoying", "Dumb", "Perfect", and even -get this- "Flirting too much". (Tohru never flirts. Ever.) There's the ovary/bishounen complex coming into play again, and it's ignored that the whole point of the show is pretty much based on Tohru's amazing strong will and ability to see others for who they are, and it's ignored that she helps said bishounen with their lives in a way that nobody else can.

Winry herself is an amazing young woman, who is a very important part of Ed and Al's lives. They're childhood friends; a bond that can't be easily broken, and their fond quarreling underlies the true compassion they all have for each other.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 22 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #32

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

It's always wonderful to watch those moments when her caring side shows through. True her temper amuses me, but that little blush that she gets ever so often gets me everytime. I will always refer to the relationship between Misty and Ash. They fought, but every so often that caring nature really showed itself on both parties behalfs.

As others have stated, the hate stems from jealousy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hedera
post Feb 22 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 3,127

Those scenes are mainly for comedy relief and are not to be taken seriously.

I know that! dry.gif I just think that it's annoying anyways. Ed had a tough fight, he broke his auto-mail (Winry should know that it's not that easy to brake it), he goes to Winry for help... of course, she helps him, but there is so much yelling before that! And all this flying wrenches... sleep.gif"""

And looking at the whole, Winry is above average in her niceness...

She acts like an obvious 15-years-old girl. Why shouldn't she help her friends? Why shouldn't she help others? It's okay. And boring (IMO).
Of course, Winry has some little features, but I can't see anything really special. huh.gif And, most importantly, I'm not interested in it.
And if to talk about love and hate towards Winry... Ya know, people are all different, and all of them have different opinions.

As others have stated, the hate stems from jealousy.

Not always, ya know. huh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
shardypsykoelf
post Feb 22 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 8,366

*sigh* It's Anzu-bashing all over again dry.gif (and for those of you who have been sucked into the Yugioh fandom, you know what I'm talking about).

For the years that I have been involved in the world of anime, clawed through the world of sickening fangirlishness, and infested with my own fangirlishness, I already recognized the reasons behind Winry bashing even before I read everyone else's two cents:

It's jealously. Plain and simple.

It's one thing to bash and completely another to honestly hate a character. For example, I cannot stand Risa Harada from DNAngel. But I don't bash her. I don't take the time out to bash her, I have better things to do. If a person truly does not like a character, he/she would not waste their time bashing them. They would not waste their time making up childish pranks and unaccurate rumors and all this other crap over a FAKE person. That's jealousy that makes them do that. Why they would be so childish as to go so far as making a website (or part of one) about it is beyond me.

Now me. I'm a HUGE Ed fan. *squeals and huggles Ed plushie* At the same time, he is made up, not real, cannot marry me because that would be odd.

Shardy: *in a bride's dress wheeling up a large cart of Edward cells in various scenes* wub.gif This is the man I'm marrying.

Preacher: blink.gif

Can we see the ridculousness of this twisted point-of-view here? Yes, Ed has a sexy voice. That's not Ed, that's Vic Mignogna (and we're not going to go there! *dies in her own drool*). Yes, Ed is sexy. I, too, can arrange lines and ink in a way that makes the paper look orgasmic.

I think Winry is awesome and I see no reason why anyone should hate her (other than she's close to Ed...and that's a stupid reason). I adore Ed/Winry pairings. C'mon, we all know she would have Ed at her mercy! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Forum Family: Daughter to Ailuro, Big sis to Celes, tigohbiddies, Chiyo, Full Metal Engineer, Big sis in-law to eds_secret_agent, Kitty-Cat
~*~Lover of Xithion~*~
My Childhood Playmate Completed!

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Feb 22 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #35

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

Oh yeah. Anzu bashing! I can sort of understand where that comes from, but I'm personally an Anzu lover.

That may just be because I got into the manga first. Anzu is cool. And in spite of the basher accusations, she has far less friendship speeches than many other characters. She's a fun girl.
"I got fired for punching out a customer who touched my butt."
Ah, <333 Anzu-chan!

As for character hate, I don't hate many characters, but even when I do loathe characters, I just state the fact, justify it, and leave it at that. And even then, I'm open to argument. Even though I loathe Touga from SK Utena, I was open to liking him a little towards the end of the manga.

But this is getting off topic.

Bottom Line: Winry=Heartness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Feb 22 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #36

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

QUOTE(Hedera @ Feb 22 2005, 05:40 PM)
[Ed had a tough fight, he broke his auto-mail (Winry should know that it's not that easy to brake it), he goes to Winry for help... of course, she helps him, but there is so much yelling before that! And all this flying wrenches... sleep.gif"""

Heh...exactly. Am I the only one who sees her caring in this, too? Who here hasn't had the experience of getting oneself hurt, and having one's friends and family react in that "MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF YOU IDIOT? HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN OR I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF!!!" way?

That's what Winry's doing here. Sure, she seizes on the automail itself, but honestly, I think she's angrier about the fact that the automail /is/ not easy to break and therefore Ed must have been in a seriously nasty situation to get it broken in the first place.

The yelling and flailing is more about Ed's personal safety and lack of regard for it, than about a broken piece of automail, although the automail is Winry's excuse. Much like the gift of oil, and the intense care and planning she puts into Ed's repairs, it's not really about the automail in the end. <3

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
shardypsykoelf
post Feb 22 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

Who here hasn't had the experience of getting oneself hurt, and having one's friends and family react in that "MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF YOU IDIOT? HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN OR I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF!!!" way?

My best friend does that to me all the time! biggrin.gif It's usually how some people react to hide the fact that they were scared out of their minds. And Winry probably doesn't believe that Ed likes her (if he likes her) so dissolving into tears and squeezing his guts out with hugs and "OMG! I WAS SOOOO SCARED!!! OH, EDWARD, MY POOR, POOR DARLING!!!"....

blink.gif

Personally, I'd prefer her throwing a wrench at him.

Anzu! *skooshes Anzu-chan* tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Forum Family: Daughter to Ailuro, Big sis to Celes, tigohbiddies, Chiyo, Full Metal Engineer, Big sis in-law to eds_secret_agent, Kitty-Cat
~*~Lover of Xithion~*~

+Quote Post
Hedera
post Feb 23 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #38

Apprentice

The yelling and flailing is more about Ed's personal safety and lack of regard for it, than about a broken piece of automail, although the automail is Winry's excuse.

YES, I KNOW, BUT he's a state alchemist, not an ordinary boy! Could she understand that he has a dangerous job! You can't gain anything without sacrificing something, right? wink.gif This is a tough job and Ed can't allow himself to be afraid for his life (well, actually, he is afraid sometimes, but still fights). If he was not such a daredevil, I wonder if he could keep his title? cool.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
AA battery
post Feb 23 2005, 06:06 AM
Post #39

Brigadier General

Member No.: 7,450

so far, no Winry-haters have come in to argue yet... it's good to see biggrin.gif

LOL anzu bashing... gotta luv/hate that.... It's... jsut weird. When I first read YGO manga, I luv her character, she is just special and all (and really, Yami Yuugi should be the king of friendship speeches, not Anzu) but then after I fall into the fan-doom (YamixYuugi that is) i kinda became an Anzu basher too thanks too all those fanfics + my YxY friend... and later on, after I got obsessed with FMA (therefore kinda leaving the YGO fandom) i figured that it purely pathetic to bash Anzu to start with (cuz then I finally realize how annoying Yami Yuugi actually is... sorry to those that are his fan XD)

However, I still think manga!Winry has more of a character than anime!Winry because anime does make EdWin more obvious... (manga has quite some AlWin I noticed... not as much EdWin imo altho everyone has been saying that manga has more EdWin O.o) (umm, I like Al better so that's probably why I prefer AlWin over EdWin.......)

Anyhow, I agree with Winry-bashing as similar to Anzu-bashing which is just pathetic.

--------------------
*June 11, 2013 - New Doujinshis Added*
Hi, I got a bunch of FMA merchandises (keychains, pencil boards, cards, figurines, book in figure red...etc) for sale at my LJ. Please visit my sale post here if interested! Thanks ^_^

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Feb 23 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #40

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

QUOTE(Hedera @ Feb 23 2005, 03:05 AM)
YES, I KNOW, BUT he's a state alchemist, not an ordinary boy! Could she understand that he has a dangerous job! You can't gain anything without sacrificing something, right? wink.gif This is a tough job and Ed can't allow himself to be afraid for his life (well, actually, he is afraid sometimes, but still fights). If he was not such a daredevil, I wonder if he could keep his title? cool.gif
[snapback]120212[/snapback]

*shrugs* My neighbor and his son are deep-sea fishermen, which is statistically the most dangerous job in the world. Their family understands full well that their job is naturally dangerous, and that they wouldn't get their (very substantial) pay if they didn't go risk their lives for months at a time. Does that stop them from fretting while they're gone? Of course not! Maybe Ed can't allow himself to be afraid, but if Winry can cry for him and Al, she can sure as heck be afraid for them as well.

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 23 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #41

Moderator Emeritus

Very true, very true. I think there is fear in her tears as well as sorrow. Its clear when they are left alone and she calls out for them and nearly falls in the water by leaning over the edge of the boat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stained_Wings
post Feb 23 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 7,623

when you're mad about something, you don't think reasonably. its much easier to throw the wrench and ask questions later than worry about Ed's health first and his automail second. and since automail is very hard to break and custom made, of course she'll be pissed. besides, she's not exactly a feminine girl. she's a tomboy mechanic. and, by anime standards, the tomboys will almost always be violent and brass, and the feminine girls will always know how to cook five-course meals. its the way of anime.

+Quote Post
Hedera
post Feb 23 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

armor-alchemist

Oh my, I see another AlXWinry fellow! smile.gif Too bad, this pairing is not very popular. sad.gif
I guess, I could like Winry if she paid more attention to Al.

Tobu Ishi

*feels misunderstood* Geez...
First of all, don't compare this anime/manga with the real life. Because they're not that realistic!
Also about fretting... I'm not saying that Winry shouldn't worry about Ed! I just think that she should not yell at him so much. dry.gif

when you're mad about something, you don't think reasonably. its much easier to throw the wrench and ask questions later than worry about Ed's health first and his automail second.

Veeery true. biggrin.gif Nice point! smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 23 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #44

Moderator Emeritus

QUOTE(Stained_Wings @ Feb 24 2005, 12:11 AM)
and the feminine girls will always know how to cook five-course meals. its the way of anime.
[snapback]120506[/snapback]

But don't forget, Winry can cook. She thinks of it scientificaly yes but its good all the same.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shardypsykoelf
post Feb 23 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #45

Alchemists

Hmmm...what if die-hard Winry haters did suddenly appear in this thread? That would certainly make an interesting arguement. happy.gif

But too much of an invitation for a flame war. I've been involved with basher arguements. It's not pretty.

I now know what EdWin is! I'm so happy! biggrin.gif

Ed Plushie: Like it wasn't obvious? Gawd, Shardy, you're such a loser. sleep.gif

Shardy: Hush you! >.<

--------------------
user posted image
~*~Lover of Xithion~*~

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 05:55 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css